best hdtv's and the most horrible hdtv's.........

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TXDRiPpA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TXDRiPpA
Member since 2007 • 953 Posts

PLEASE POST: name what are the best quality tv brands and price. I know there is alot of people out there sceptical about what tv u should get?????!!!!! Now that gaming has become HD, alot more people are buying them. If u experienced any problems with your tv, bad picture.....stopped working.....etc, then post. I just thought i would make this 2 help people out, and as 4 myself i have only bought one hdtv and it was an element tv and yes i got it on black friday....... and it is now dead and stopped working. PLEASE DO NOT buy an element tv. I know it is cheap and it looks great.....but it will not last trust me. I need help myself because now im stuck without a tv and i do not know wat tv i should buy, share your thoughts about your tv and let me know. THANKS

dscot18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dscot18
Member since 2006 • 111 Posts
Olevia's not bad. I got a 37" 720p for $550 (after rebate) from TigerDirect.com. I've had it for about a year and no complaints.
MikeJones133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MikeJones133
Member since 2007 • 507 Posts
Sony Bravia and Sharp are really really good.
robert5891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 robert5891
Member since 2003 • 186 Posts
I have a JVC 61" HDTV its great, im a communications technician so i see all the different kinds of tvs every day. All tvs look fine on hd but the best, tvs also make the digital and analog channels look good. I prefer JVC or Sharp myself, Vizio's and Sony's arent too bad either. I would stay away from the very cheap branded/quailty tv's. Also i do NOT reccommend any Samsung tv's all of them that I seen are average at best, with very poor analog tuners that make the lower channels look horrible.
Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts

I got this Vizio 32" HDTV almost one year ago for $550 CAD from TigerDirect, and haven't looked back since. Great performance, and an unbeatable price for the time. I still can't find a better TV for the money, and so many months later.

Sleek design, great features, plenty inputs/outputs. My rating: A+

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TimothyB
Member since 2003 • 6564 Posts

I have had some good high end rear projections, which all seem to have their own problem, even sony. Something you should research before buying that type of tv because of everything that can go wrong.

But I do have a 32inch Olevia LCD I paid $500 for 8 months ago. Just needed something for my bedroom, and didn't need to have the best blacks. Though, a dark room setting helps dim the screen so you are not blinded by whites, and blacks look better.

I haven't gamed much on it, but when I tried the demo of Bioshock on it, I was surprised how great it looked for a dark game, just how vivid the fire was and greate detail. If I didn't have a 65inch 1080p tv with great blacks in the other room, I'd be happy with it.

And the Eternal Sonata demo was pure eye candy, clean and sharp with striking color. And recently the Devil May Cry demo. Sitting 3 feet from this 32inch screen I kept asking myself that's a lot of detail packed into a 720p picture as I looked at textures. And wide shots as well when the bridge lowered, it looked amazing. Never had anything to complain about it for a cheap tv.

Olevia still gets decent reviews. So even though it's cheap, it was still give you that wow factor from 360 HD games. I would have invested a bit more if it was going to be my main tv.

hschaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 hschaf
Member since 2008 • 637 Posts
sharp aquos is unrivaled for lcd's. i got a 42" 1080p and absolutley love it. got it for 1299 on boxing day. i think they go for 1499 regular.
TXDRiPpA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TXDRiPpA

do any of them have vga?? I hooked up my computer 2 my tv and that's why it stopped working.

I just do not want that 2 happen again. I mean why have vga on it if it's going 2 just mess up your tv?? makes no sense.

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TimothyB

I have a JVC 61" HDTV its great, im a communications technician so i see all the different kinds of tvs every day. All tvs look fine on hd but the best, tvs also make the digital and analog channels look good. I prefer JVC or Sharp myself, Vizio's and Sony's arent too bad either. I would stay away from the very cheap branded/quailty tv's. Also i do NOT reccommend any Samsung tv's all of them that I seen are average at best, with very poor analog tuners that make the lower channels look horrible.robert5891

Is that one of their D-ILA LCoS rear projections. Those got decent reviews. I think they were practically the only 1080p tv that could resolve all 1080 lines of a 1080i signal, using inverse teceline. Even the best sony couldn't do that. Though, at the time I was buying a tv, I could only find it online, and I heard the silk screen was a little strong. And oddly, the tv only had memory for one screen setting, so you couldn't calibrate the picture for each input. It uses the same tech Sony's best SXRD RPTV uses, LCoS, which is 3 chip, meaning no rainbow effect like single chip DLP tvs.

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TimothyB

do any of them have vga?? I hooked up my computer 2 my tv and that's why it stopped working.

I just do not want that 2 happen again. I mean why have vga on it if it's going 2 just mess up your tv?? makes no sense.

TXDRiPpA

I don't see how VGA could mess up a computer, or was it the tv? It wasn't the VGA input on the back of a laptop?

Was the computer set to a resolution the tv knows? Either way, I don't think something should have broken on or the other unless some how the PC defaulted to a resolution your tv or your original monitor did not know, so you couldn't get a picture back. But starting up in safe mode should have gotten around that.

I use VGA on my 360 to my Olevia 32inch, don't think I used it on my PC. And my 65inch 1080p tv that has VGA is meant for pc, because they crippled the VGA input to 1024*768, so it can't even except 720p over VGA, talk about pointless. Why cripple the VGA PC inputer to a resolution used of 15inch LCDs, 1024*768, on a 65inch 1920*1080 tv?

Haeravon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Haeravon
Member since 2004 • 764 Posts
Walmart had an RCA 26" HDTV for $300 (no rebate). It's at the lowest end of HDTVs in terms of size, but it's worked great for the couple of months I've had it, and it satiated my HD need on my meager budget.
TXDRiPpA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TXDRiPpA

This is wat happened.....my power went off in my house 4 why??? i dont know. I turn the breaker back on in the house.....and from there my tv just stays in standby mode now and will not come on. I checked the fuse and everything.

Im getting power out of the outlet because other things work from it like my xbox. The red led light is on but the tv is just not coming on, so i called element and the guy said it has 2 do with me having vga hooked up 2 it, why??? i dont know.

It dont seem like that would be the problem......but i dont know watelse 2do.

blowtrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 blowtrees
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts
I've got a Polaroid 32" LCD. No HD cable (used to have it, cost too much) but it supports 1080i and 1080p. Also doubles as my 2nd monitor. Been great for just over a year. Damned expensive though when I bought it.
TXDRiPpA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TXDRiPpA
this tv look good......http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3202692&Sku=P333-4260
silent_rip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 silent_rip
Member since 2006 • 355 Posts
I've also got a Vizio. It's only a 20" but I sit about two feet from it anyway. It's not the sharpest HDTV ever, but it's damn good for the price.
Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts

The mods are going to shut this thread down for not being in the Off Topic forum, but while its here I can help.

Its not as simple as following just a brand, as the quality of TV's can vary simply by model number. The best thing for you to do is figure out what you want from a TV (price range, screen size, resolution, what it will be used for mostly, size of the room, lighting in the room, etc), and once you have that, recommendations can be given. I have a subscription to Consumer Reports and they didn't lead me astray on my purchase 2 years ago. My TV is still great, even though it is a tad dated after 2 years.

wittbolds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wittbolds
Member since 2007 • 503 Posts

Sony Bravia and Sharp are really really good.MikeJones133

Sony Bravia standard line TV's imo are horrid. The Sony XBR (their premium models) are UNBELIEVEABLE though. Probably the best on the market. I have a sharp and panasonic 40'' ad they work pretty well. The XBR Bravia is unmatched imo tho.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts
Funny. Olevia mentioned twice in this thread. Actually, I have a 32" Olevia. I'm very happy with it. I was pleasantly surprised how beautiful games on the 360 looked on it.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

i have an old samsung HDTV (not too old, but older than new ones haha) and for some reason if something is too red, the outsides go shades of pink

lastemp11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lastemp11
Member since 2007 • 88 Posts
i work in the tv department at circuit city and the only tvs you should ever consider getting are samsung sony panasonic or pioneer the rest just dont compare
PiNwOrM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 PiNwOrM
Member since 2005 • 2030 Posts

i work in the tv department at circuit city and the only tvs you should ever consider getting are samsung sony panasonic or pioneer the rest just dont comparelastemp11

Yeah, the rest certainly don't compare in price, that's for sure.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chaoscougar1

i work in the tv department at circuit city and the only tvs you should ever consider getting are samsung sony panasonic or pioneer the rest just dont comparelastemp11

have u ever had some samsung TVs that have slight tinges of bright pink for skin and objects that are really red?

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts
my tv is a 42" Westinghouse HDtv 1080p with 2 components, 4 HDMI's, VGA, digital out for sound, and a composite. As well as a coax. I bought it for $1150 but now it's around $800-$900. It's a GREAT tv. I have had nothing but great luck with it and the picture is gorgeous!
PiNwOrM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 PiNwOrM
Member since 2005 • 2030 Posts

my tv is a 42" Westinghouse HDtv 1080p with 2 components, 4 HDMI's, VGA, digital out for sound, and a composite. As well as a coax. I bought it for $1150 but now it's around $800-$900. It's a GREAT tv. I have had nothing but great luck with it and the picture is gorgeous!nickdastick

Wow, cheap for the size and quality. I might look into one of those, but perhaps 32". It's more the ammount inputs and digital out that intrests me though than the 1080p, I could live with 1080i.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="lastemp11"]i work in the tv department at circuit city and the only tvs you should ever consider getting are samsung sony panasonic or pioneer the rest just dont comparechaoscougar1

have u ever had some samsung TVs that have slight tinges of bright pink for skin and objects that are really red?

I have a newer model Samsung LCD HDTV 32" and it works great. It has a beautiful frame, glossy black. My Xbox 360 games run great on it. Picture looks gorgeous especially games like Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, and BioShock. Games that support 720p and up come out looking awesome. Unfortunately, Halo 3 doesnt support 720p, only 480p. I read that somewhere. But some levels still look great. Everything looked edgy in the early levels. I have no complaints. I haven't had any problems with tinges of bright pink for skin and objects that are really red. You can try messing around with the color. But i'm no TV expert. I hear from so many people that Sharp is really, really good. Sony, Samsung, Sharp, and new model Pioneers cant be beat.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="lastemp11"]i work in the tv department at circuit city and the only tvs you should ever consider getting are samsung sony panasonic or pioneer the rest just dont compareElann2008

I have a newer model Samsung LCD HDTV 32" and it works great. It has a beautiful frame, glossy black. And the picture is sharp, high quality. I have no complaints. I haven't had any problems with tinges of bright pink for skin and objects that are really red. You can try messing around with the color. But i'm not TV expert. I hear from so many people that Sharp is really, really good. Sony, Samsung, Sharp, and new model Pioneers cant be beat.

ive messed around with the settings for hours, ive gotten rid of most of it, but theres still some just lingering there

jakedogg14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jakedogg14
Member since 2003 • 665 Posts

BEST: Samsung, Sony, Sharp

WORST: Polaroid, Vizio, Element

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TimothyB
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="lastemp11"]i work in the tv department at circuit city and the only tvs you should ever consider getting are samsung sony panasonic or pioneer the rest just dont compareElann2008

I have a newer model Samsung LCD HDTV 32" and it works great. It has a beautiful frame, glossy black. My Xbox 360 games run great on it. Picture looks gorgeous especially games like Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, and BioShock. Games that support 720p and up come out looking awesome. Unfortunately, Halo 3 doesnt support 720p, only 480p. I read that somewhere. But some levels still look great. Everything looked edgy in the early levels. I have no complaints. I haven't had any problems with tinges of bright pink for skin and objects that are really red. You can try messing around with the color. But i'm no TV expert. I hear from so many people that Sharp is really, really good. Sony, Samsung, Sharp, and new model Pioneers cant be beat.

Halo runs at 640p, upscaled to 720p.

jakedogg14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jakedogg14
Member since 2003 • 665 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="lastemp11"]i work in the tv department at circuit city and the only tvs you should ever consider getting are samsung sony panasonic or pioneer the rest just dont compareTimothyB

What? It says 1080p right on the back of the box.

TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TimothyB
[QUOTE="TimothyB"][QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="lastemp11"]i work in the tv department at circuit city and the only tvs you should ever consider getting are samsung sony panasonic or pioneer the rest just dont comparejakedogg14

Every game says that, it's not what the game runs at, but what the 360 "Can" output at, which is everything because it upscales t any resolution.

Only like 2 games are true 1080p. One I can only think of is Virtual Tennis. There have been many other games that ran "under" HD resolutions like Halo 3.

They need to put on the back of boxes what the game renders at. So in case of Halo 3, Native 640p, upscale to 720p-1080p. I mean it was so annoying how some users kept claiming that the early copy of Halo3 they got was running at perfect 1080p with no jaggies when the game all along was 640p jaggy hell. So it confuses so many people into thinking they are playing in 1080p without even knowing what that means. Sort of like how some people that buy an HDTV think everything they watch is now HD.

ag3ntz3rox0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ag3ntz3rox0x
Member since 2007 • 1534 Posts
if your not rich like most people in america, i got a 32 ich vizio for 599 and its better then my step dads 50 inch lg. seriously he even said he wishes he got a vizio.
Tormentor666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tormentor666
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Does any of you know if it's true that bigger and more recent plasma screens are good for gaming?
linkinSOXecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 linkinSOXecho
Member since 2007 • 594 Posts

me and 2 of my friends have westinghouse's. all have good pictures and no problems with them.

roan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 roan23
Member since 2005 • 1190 Posts
I got AKAI 32" 1080i for 560. play 360 with the hdmi cable, look really sharp and NICE
russian4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 russian4life
Member since 2006 • 436 Posts
i got a 46" Sony bravia for $ 1,500, best TV EVER!!!!
TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TimothyB

I got AKAI 32" 1080i for 560. play 360 with the hdmi cable, look really sharp and NICEroan23

Is that an LCD? If so, why have it set to a interlaced resolution when hardly any games are interlaced? And all LCDs are progressive (720p or 1080p). You are probably forcing the 360 to convert 720p games to 1080i interlaced, then the tv has to undo it by converting it back to progressive resolution, 720p, sometimes 768p, and never be as good as the original 720p.

chief_527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chief_527
Member since 2003 • 1121 Posts
[QUOTE="TimothyB"][QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="lastemp11"]i work in the tv department at circuit city and the only tvs you should ever consider getting are samsung sony panasonic or pioneer the rest just dont comparejakedogg14

Well, you're a little behind.

Link