Beat GTA V. Story is awful. (NO SPOILERS)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Huge GTA fan.  Got GTA5 at midnight release.  Beat it.  The GAME PLAY is perfect, flawless, amazing.  But it's the STORY that's the major shortcoming.  I won't spoil anything but here are the problems I've had with it.

The story is predictable, down to the climax.  The fact that Rockstar's trailers revealed a bit too much also dampens some moments.

Character behaviors are inconsistent, just as the Gamespot review said.  Many major plot points are contrived, artificial and it's doubtful they would actually happen.  Twists often happen abruptly and the gravity of those events isn't well conveyed.

The game has an identity crisis between serious drama and the absurd hilarity.  It's not that mixing funny and serious is bad.  Look at Portal 2, for example, or the previous GTA games like San Andreas.  GTA V often times, after behaving like a carefree surreal fantasy action movie, expects me to become emotionally vested all of a sudden, when I just can't.

An example of this is Michael's family.  They're through and through funny american stereotypes made to be laughed at, but at certain points of the game, the game intends to have you emotionally care about them as if they've all of a sudden became real people.

There are some real winners like the supporting characters, but some characters just don't work.  Trevor is immensely entertaining, but his maudlin attempts at being emotional are just tough to take seriously.  Franklin was never any more than a CJ clone.  And the villain(s), I'll just say, they're forgettable.

The ending is a cliche and lazy copout that moreso made my eyes roll than get a serious reaction out of me.

The entire story gave me a headache.  It was too persistent to be just a random comedy and it was too flippant to be taken seriously.  For all it innovates, it's in too many ways a cliche. 

I would still give the game a 9/10, and suggest that if you don't take the story too seriously, you'll love the open world and the great missions which are both second to none.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
You wana talk about the game's story without spoilers ? Awesome !

anyway I'm not exactly sure what people were expecting but the previous games had a boring story too. To me GTA V is kinda like a Mercedes Benze, undoubtly a great car, but very boring. Unlike the Dune Buggy, which is nothing but fun ! Atleast they finaly fixed everything, if only Bethesda could do the same (hint: They Can't)

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#3 Hiddai
Member since 2004 • 6117 Posts
Enjoyed reading your opinion. You probably said it better than GS in their review.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

To me, no GTA had an actual good story. Then again it was always muddled. It starts off with a plot, then so much random missions happen in the middle that you don't know what's actually happening anymore, then it gets back to the main plot and finishes. Not to say that the games haven't had entertaining stories here and there, but they just weren't that great.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#5 Hiddai
Member since 2004 • 6117 Posts

To me, no GTA had an actual good story. Then again it was always muddled. It starts off with a plot, then so much random missions happen in the middle that you don't know what's actually happening anymore, then it gets back to the main plot and finishes. Not to say that the games haven't had entertaining stories here and there, but they just weren't that great.

Legendaryscmt
SA had a great story IMO
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 drekula2

Legendaryscmt

San Andreas had a great story.  GTA IV + Episodes had their weaknesses but were great stories as well.

It's like GTA V is trying to be two different things at the same time.

Actually GTA V is like that in the middle too, where you go from professional heist criminal to errand-boy.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 drekula2

You wana talk about the game's story without spoilers ? Awesome !

anyway I'm not exactly sure what people were expecting but the previous games had a boring story too. To me GTA V is kinda like a Mercedes Benze, undoubtly a great car, but very boring. Unlike the Dune Buggy, which is nothing but fun ! Atleast they finaly fixed everything, if only Bethesda could do the same (hint: They Can't)

Lulu_Lulu

GTA V has some boring moments, but A LOT of fun missions.  

I mean, with GTA IV, I connected with Niko Bellic.  And even with Roman's light-hearted humor, I still emotionally connected with him and felt sorry for him.  In Red Dead, John Marston's story grabbed me as well.

Rockstar wanted to make GTA V so crazy, it's unbelievable.  And now, I can't empathize with any of the characters because they aren't believable.  

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 drekula2

Enjoyed reading your opinion. You probably said it better than GS in their review.Hiddai

Thank you.  I respect Carolyn a lot, but I felt her review wasn't as good as it could've been.  She focused on specific aspects of the game rather than overall trends.

She specifically focused on misogyny rather than focusing on the entire games moral uncomfortability and dark humor.

She specifically focused on talking about inconsistent characters, when she said nothing about the overall inconsistent plot as well.

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

While I appreciate the effort involved in writing your review...I disagree with taking a whole point based on story alone. It is a video game..not a movie..after all. I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment any time you go looking for anything other than excellent gameplay and graphical quality from a video game. I personally would not detract any points unless it is a game where the story has some effervescent thought provoking story to tell...like in The Last of Us. The most I feel you..or anyone else should take is half a point. I have never...nor will I ever buy a game based on the quality of the story. Therefore...when one of those rare gems does come along..it serves as a bonus to improve whatever score the game might have otherwise gotten.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 drekula2

While I appreciate the effort involved in writing your review...I disagree with taking a whole point based on story alone. It is a video game..not a movie..after all. I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment any time you go looking for anything other than excellent gameplay and graphical quality from a video game. I personally would not detract any points unless it is a game where the story has some effervescent thought provoking story to tell...like in The Last of Us. The most I feel you..or anyone else should take is half a point. I have never...nor will I ever buy a game based on the quality of the story. Therefore...when one of those rare gems does come along..it serves as a bonus to improve whatever score the game might have otherwise gotten.

HilbillyRokstar

The problem is that story had much more potential.  When you have three characters, their personal lives you can switch between, the conflicts they face alone and together, as well as the concept of heisting banks in a corrupt city, you could do so much more, other than a cliche.

It's probably on par with your average action game's story, but when the gameplay is like a 10/10 and the story isn't nearly up to par, it's disappointing.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]You wana talk about the game's story without spoilers ? Awesome !

drekula2

I mean, with GTA IV, I connected with Niko Bellic.  And even with Roman's light-hearted humor, I still emotionally connected with him and felt sorry for him.  In Red Dead, John Marston's story grabbed me as well.

Rockstar wanted to make GTA V so crazy, it's unbelievable.  And now, I can't empathize with any of the characters because they aren't believable.  

I don't play games the same way as most people do, I replay games many times and at some point I'l be able to look at a game objectively. I for one, can play and finish a game with Zero emotional investment to any character. Also if you think about it VG Characters are terrible, yes even "the good ones" are bad. So maybe try not to get so emotionaly invested next time, unless you're playing Beyond Two Souls.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HilbillyRokstar
[QUOTE="drekula2"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]You wana talk about the game's story without spoilers ? Awesome !

Lulu_Lulu

I don't play games the same way as most people do, I replay games many times and at some point I'l be able to look at a game objectively. I for one, can play and finish a game with Zero emotional investment to any character. Also if you think about it VG Characters are terrible, yes even "the good ones" are bad. So maybe try not to get so emotionaly invested next time, unless you're playing Beyond Two Souls.

Or The Last of Us...
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 drekula2

yet gta v TRIES to be dramatic and TRIES to get you emotionally invested.

in the end though, i still have to keep in mind that this is a GTA game and not a Mass Effect or Metal Gear Solid game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="drekula2"]

HilbillyRokstar

Or The Last of Us...

Nope, not enough interactive cutscenes, remember we're talking about games, the story will undoubtly be good but whats the point if it leaches methods from movies ? More often then not stories in video games are long animated movies cut into pieces and divided by gameplay segments. I'm not saying it should go away, I just want more interactive experiences, because they are seriously lacking.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

in the end though, i still have to keep in mind that this is a GTA game and not a Mass Effect Game or Metal Gear Solid Movie.

drekula2
FIXED :D .
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

No GTA game has ever had a good story. Even their non GTA games have a terrible story like RDR was the same "I was a bad guy but now I want a good life but oh wait Im pulled back into the bad life" storyline to it.

GTA sells primarily on the fact it is GTA. 80% of their sales go to kids that just want to play GTA because all of the other kids their age think its awesome, and all of those other kids are thinking the same thing.

dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

[QUOTE="drekula2"]

Lulu_Lulu

You actually give a shit about those stupid ass David Cage games?

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HilbillyRokstar

dominer

BWAHAHAHA...yeah..the best part was how she talked like it was sooo much better than The Last of Us because of the interactive cut scenes. Pullleeeeeze...the single greatest story based game I have ever experienced is head and shoulders better than the crap she was talkin about! 

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

dominer

I'l admit Mr. Cage sounds like a major douche but What exactly makes you think Cage's games are stupid ?
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="dominer"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] I don't play games the same way as most people do, I replay games many times and at some point I'l be able to look at a game objectively. I for one, can play and finish a game with Zero emotional investment to any character. Also if you think about it VG Characters are terrible, yes even "the good ones" are bad. So maybe try not to get so emotionaly invested next time, unless you're playing Beyond Two Souls.HilbillyRokstar

BWAHAHAHA...yeah..the best part was how she talked like it was sooo much better than The Last of Us because of the interactive cut scenes. Pullleeeeeze...the single greatest story based game I have ever experienced is head and shoulders better than the crap she was talkin about! 

I'm a he, not a She. Also I wasn't arguing the quality of The Last Us' story, I won't deny its damn good, My argument is simple, its just another game that didn't take full advantage to deliver its narrative interactively not different from Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy games.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

well thats why you shouldnt just play the game straight though!  have some fun, do some actual side quests, run over some homeless people (see the onion article here>>>>http://www.theonion.com/articles/gta-v-a-sophisticated-gaming-experience-says-man-w,33893/)   I don't understand the idea of sitting down and beating a game without sleeping, eating, going to work, etc.......

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HilbillyRokstar
[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]

[QUOTE="dominer"]

Lulu_Lulu

I'm a he, not a She. Also I wasn't arguing the quality of The Last Us' story, I won't deny its damn good, My argument is simple, its just another game that didn't take full advantage to deliver its narrative interactively not different from Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy games.

Lulu is NOT the name of a male...never has been.
dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dominer

[QUOTE="dominer"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] I don't play games the same way as most people do, I replay games many times and at some point I'l be able to look at a game objectively. I for one, can play and finish a game with Zero emotional investment to any character. Also if you think about it VG Characters are terrible, yes even "the good ones" are bad. So maybe try not to get so emotionaly invested next time, unless you're playing Beyond Two Souls.Lulu_Lulu

I'l admit Mr. Cage sounds like a major douche but What exactly makes you think Cage's games are stupid ?

All the bootleg matrix rip-off garbage in Indigo Prophecy. And the nonsensical plot twist, terrible voice acting, plot holes, and general bad writing in Heavy Rain.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]BWAHAHAHA...yeah..the best part was how she talked like it was sooo much better than The Last of Us because of the interactive cut scenes. Pullleeeeeze...the single greatest story based game I have ever experienced is head and shoulders better than the crap she was talkin about! HilbillyRokstar

Lulu is NOT the name of a male...never has been.

LOL, I'M THE 1ST ? YIPPEEEEEEEEE ! :D
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="dominer"]

dominer

All the bootleg matrix rip-off garbage in Indigo Prophecy. And the nonsensical plot twist, terrible voice acting, plot holes, and general bad writing in Heavy Rain.

Thats It ? I knew that already, It did doesn't bother me because I'm a terrible judge of Narrative Quality. Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain are mechanically sound from an interactive narrative stand point, despite the counter intuitive controls. From the gameplay videos I saw of Beyond, seems like they're gona fix the controls aswel. Its a shame its exclusive though.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="dominer"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] I'l admit Mr. Cage sounds like a major douche but What exactly makes you think Cage's games are stupid ?Lulu_Lulu

Thats It ? I knew that already, It did doesn't bother me because I'm a terrible judge of Narrative Quality. Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain are mechanically sound from an interactive narrative stand point, despite the counter intuitive controls. From the gameplay videos I saw of Beyond, seems like they're gona fix the controls aswel. Its a shame its exclusive though.

Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain are decent games...but the button mashing timed event sequences are a tired element of gameplay that seriously detract from an otherwise excellent...if much too short lived experience. I bought Heavy Rain used at a discount...and I still didn't feel like I got my money's worth.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu

HilbillyRokstar

Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain are decent games...but the button mashing timed event sequences are a tired element of gameplay that seriously detract from an otherwise excellent...if much too short lived experience. I bought Heavy Rain used at a discount...and I still didn't feel like I got my money's worth.

Maybe its just not your type of game. LOL, Maybe its gaming just isn't for you at all ?
dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dominer

[QUOTE="dominer"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] I'l admit Mr. Cage sounds like a major douche but What exactly makes you think Cage's games are stupid ?Lulu_Lulu

I thought the whole point of this topic was game narratives, not gameplay control schemes.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Thats It ? I knew that already, It did doesn't bother me because I'm a terrible judge of Narrative Quality. Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain are mechanically sound from an interactive narrative stand point, despite the counter intuitive controls. From the gameplay videos I saw of Beyond, seems like they're gona fix the controls aswel. Its a shame its exclusive though.Lulu_Lulu

Maybe its just not your type of game. LOL, Maybe its gaming just isn't for you at all ?

Your pathetic attempt at humor certainly isn't doing anything for me. There is nothing wrong with wanting value for your dollar. It's part of what makes GTA...and this game in particular..such a great game! Blowing money like a coke head with a video game addiction isn't for me, my friend.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#31 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
No, you don't get it. Everything that is bad is supposed to be bad, you know, for satire. All problems solved now
[QUOTE="dominer"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] I don't play games the same way as most people do, I replay games many times and at some point I'l be able to look at a game objectively. I for one, can play and finish a game with Zero emotional investment to any character. Also if you think about it VG Characters are terrible, yes even "the good ones" are bad. So maybe try not to get so emotionaly invested next time, unless you're playing Beyond Two Souls.Lulu_Lulu

...I played Heavy Rain and thought about the story characters, and dialogue.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulu_Lulu

dominer

I thought the whole point of this topic was game narratives, not gameplay control schemes.

Narrative without interaction is either a book or movie. I'm simply trying to figure why people think its okay deliver a story in video games the same way books and movies do ? I wana know why non-interactive methods keeping popping up in an interactive medium.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain are decent games...but the button mashing timed event sequences are a tired element of gameplay that seriously detract from an otherwise excellent...if much too short lived experience. I bought Heavy Rain used at a discount...and I still didn't feel like I got my money's worth.

HilbillyRokstar

Your pathetic attempt at humor certainly isn't doing anything for me. There is nothing wrong with wanting value for your dollar. It's part of what makes GTA...and this game in particular..such a great game! Blowing money like a coke head with a video game addiction isn't for me, my friend.

I'm being Serious, mostly. If you believe the non-interactive cutscene is the best games can do then I'm definately gona question your love of gaming.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]No, you don't get it. Everything that is bad is supposed to be bad, you know, for satire. All problems solved now
[QUOTE="dominer"]

Lulu_Lulu

...I played Heavy Rain and thought about the story characters, and dialogue.

You lost me. . . . :(
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Maybe its just not your type of game. LOL, Maybe its gaming just isn't for you at all ?Lulu_Lulu

I'm being Serious, mostly. If you believe the non-interactive cutscene is the best games can do then I'm definately gona question your love of gaming.

Well then you're seriously overvaluing your opinion. If you believe button mashing timed event sequences and a 9 hour campaign are worth $60 then you are either very foolish or very wealthy
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 drekula2

this is about gta5 not heavy rain lol

Avatar image for GlitchOnMyLevel
GlitchOnMyLevel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GlitchOnMyLevel
Member since 2013 • 136 Posts

I like the story for some reason.. maybe because Im trying to relate it to Breaking Bad..

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HilbillyRokstar

drekula2
Absolutely...for some reason..this Lulu_Luser thinks that all games should feature interactive dialogue like what is featured in the ridiculously light on content Heavy Rain (catch the irony there?) Apparently...no game..regardless of quality or content..is deserving of a 10 without it...
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]Your pathetic attempt at humor certainly isn't doing anything for me. There is nothing wrong with wanting value for your dollar. It's part of what makes GTA...and this game in particular..such a great game! Blowing money like a coke head with a video game addiction isn't for me, my friend.HilbillyRokstar

Well then you're seriously overvaluing your opinion. If you believe button mashing timed event sequences and a 9 hour campaign are worth $60 then you are either very foolish or very wealthy

Thats just technical limitations, Cage did the best with what was given to him, things like Rocking a Baby, Drawing architecture and Trying to escape a vehicle about to be crushed are very unconventional and difficult to execute intuitively using a controller, Mr. Cage's only flaw is his ambition (ironicaly its also his best quality), but if any other game were to have those scenarios mentioned above then they would just use cutscene, its easier and less annoying, but most importantly it shows a lack of faith in the medium, its not an opinion, its logic. . . . . . I think ?
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="drekula2"]

HilbillyRokstar
Absolutely...for some reason..this Lulu_Luser thinks that all games should feature interactive dialogue like what is featured in the ridiculously light on content Heavy Rain (catch the irony there?) Apparently...no game..regardless of quality or content..is deserving of a 10 without it...

No. Thats not what I think. I just don't want playing a game (even a story driven one) to be a passive experience, Ofcourse I needed come up with a few expamples, so I brought up Heavy Rain, was it a good one ? I don't know. But I certainly don't want everygame to be like that, anything that isn't passive will do. Actualy I don't even care about story in games, I just wan't local co-op.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i wouldve had it the other way around. gta has always been a big bag of contradiction since san andreas (havent advanced far enough in vice city) gameplay is still flawed imo. i dont know why they cant get driving down. i thought that they would make driving and shooting easier but it is still difficult.

lizardlava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lizardlava
Member since 2009 • 32 Posts

Red Dead Redemption had an amazing story, and I literally felt my heart rip out of my chest at the end. Just beat this game, for three main characters it is too short not enough missions, and the character development is low to say the least. All that being said it is still a great game, but I expected a better story as well with rockstar coming off the awesome tragedy of a story that was red dead redemptions story. 

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

I think it's brilliant. Sure it's hardly going to make best selling authors feel worried, but it's seriously f***ed up fun :D

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#44 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I honestly enjoyed the story of GTA V. And i am a story-fanatic.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I agree that the story is bad, in particular the ending! The only character I liked was Franklin but he still probably wasnt a good enough character to front the game alone. I was bored of Trevor after about 15 minutes and Michael's character was too cliched, with the supporting characters I felt there was too much focus on the FIB characters such as Norton and Haines, and not enough on characters closer to the protagonists. I also felt that having 3 characters made the narrative feel very jumbled up, and that the storyline was predictable from start to finish. I saw all of the "twists" coming a mile off.

XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#46 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

in the end though, i still have to keep in mind that this is a GTA game and not a Mass Effect or Metal Gear Solid game.

drekula2

Exactly. While I haven't gotten very far into GTA V yet (just past the Jewel Heist), I noticed the mission where Michael goes biking with Jimmy and takes his daughter off the ship tries so hard to make you feel sympathy for Michael and his inability to bond with his kids. It's cheesy and dumb.