Backwards Compatability,What the hell is microsoft doing!Aaaaghh!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CelticWolfXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CelticWolfXII
Member since 2005 • 848 Posts
The backwards compatabilty list was just updated and not one game I was waiting for came up!Instead games like bad boys 2 and minority report were put on.It says on the site that Microsoft will take in all the requests for backwards compatible games and get working on the most popular.But I refuse to believe that anyone nominated games like these for selection.What the hell are they playing at!!I iz well angry.
angelosand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 angelosand
Member since 2005 • 1171 Posts
Question, what the hell are you talking about, Doom 3, lego star wars and SW battlefront I is B/C now, All the good games are takin care of, cept Conker..
Tatusmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tatusmi
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts
if you wanna play xbox games... buy an xbox. if you wanna play 360 games... buy a 360. I don't know why people are making such a big deal about this. - Tatusmi
Devallyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Devallyk
Member since 2005 • 4078 Posts

But I refuse to believe that anyone nominated games like these for selection.CelticWolfXII

I've been over this so many times I can recite it in my sleep these days.

No, you're right. nobody nominated Bad Boys II. It works because it runs on similar coding and game engines to a different emulated game.

The BC process works something like this: Microsoft pick a game. For the sake of argument, let's say Doom3. Their guys start building interpretation code for the 360 hardware to recognize the game. They tune the code some more, then test it again. And again. Then retune it some more. More testing. Revise the code again, test again. Check through the game for bugs and glitches, retune the emulation code accordingly. More tests.

This is why making emulators takes a long time, by the way.

Once they have a code they're happy with, they test it against every single Xbox game on the market. Every single one, to see if it interferes with codes already created, and to see if any games as yet un-emulated, work.

So now, in theory, let us say that Bad Boys II was built on the same engine as Doom3. When the team come to test BBII against their new D3 emulator, they find that it works. BaBoom! Add that game to the list.

Therefore, nobody chose such a dire game and spent time creating code. It's simply piggy-backing on another game's emulator. This is why trash like Barbie and Drake made the cut as well. They happened to work, they weren't projects all to themselves.

Avatar image for josh_adams_podg
josh_adams_podg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 josh_adams_podg
Member since 2003 • 848 Posts
hey dreamfall a good game
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

hey dreamfall a good game josh_adams_podg

YA! And I am happy I get to play it finally.

alienhunter187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 alienhunter187
Member since 2003 • 11297 Posts
Devallyk...don't even bother. People here just won't listen. 
celica128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 celica128
Member since 2003 • 3660 Posts

[QUOTE="CelticWolfXII"]But I refuse to believe that anyone nominated games like these for selection.Devallyk

No, you're right. nobody nominated Bad Boys II. It works because it runs on similar coding and game engines to a different emulated game.

The BC process works something like this: Microsoft pick a game. For the sake of argument, let's say Doom3. Their guys start building interpretation code for the 360 hardware to recognize the game. They tune the code some more, then test it again. And again. Then retune it some more. More testing. Revise the code again, test again. Check through the game for bugs and glitches, retune the emulation code accordingly. More tests.

Once they have a code they're happy with, they test it against every single Xbox game on the market. Every single one, to see if it interferes with codes already created, and to see if any games as yet un-emulated, work.

So now, in theory, let us say that Bad Boys II was built on the same engine as Doom3. When the team come to test BBII against their new D3 emulator, they find that it works. BaBoom! Add that game to the list.

Therefore, nobody chose such a dire game and spent time creating code. It's simply piggy-backing on another game's emulator. This is why trash like Barbie and Drake made the cut as well. They happened to work, they weren't projects all to themselves.

Another fantastic post by Devallyk.

Completely true statement, all the way. That's the problem with Backward's compatibility, is that by adding games to the list you can limit others from becoming part of that list.

EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts
Ok, one thing that I don't understand is why Microsoft wouldn't make sure ALL of it's own games work?? Sure we have Forza and Halo 1 and 2, along with Fable, Crimson Skies and some others, but I mean how come Counter-Strike isn't BC yet? It was popular on XBL, right?
Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts
Question, what the hell are you talking about, Doom 3, lego star wars and SW battlefront I is B/C now, All the good games are takin care of, cept Conker..angelosand

Conker as you said
Otogi
Otogi 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Riddick
Bloodrayne 2
Elder Scrolls III
Soul Calibur II

Hardly all the good games are being taken care of.

CelticWolfXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CelticWolfXII
Member since 2005 • 848 Posts
Well okay,thanks, ya certainly cleared that up for me,now I know why **** keep appearing on the list.Still tho,Im just bitter cause none of the brothers in arms series are on it yet.Earned in blood just wont run properly on my xbox,so I figure it should run a smoother on my 360(Tho I know thats not guaranteed).
V-taradon-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 V-taradon-V
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Once again, time splitters is my only real concern. Besides, minority report is an awesome game... with all the cheats on you jump and he flys into thing and breaks them while dressed as a clown.
GingeOnGinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GingeOnGinger
Member since 2006 • 251 Posts
Yer i want TimeSplitters: Future Perfect and X-Men Legends, does no-one else like X-Men Legends? Because ive seen no one ask for it. It is Good. Honest! :D
johngmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 johngmills
Member since 2005 • 4349 Posts

[QUOTE="CelticWolfXII"]But I refuse to believe that anyone nominated games like these for selection.Devallyk

Preach it man.....I don't get why people are unable to grasp this concept....lol
Baglad5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Baglad5
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts
Umm SPIDER-MAN 2
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts
Backwards compatibility is a nice feature, but if you want to play Xbox games, buy an xbox.  If you want to play Playstation games, but the # of the platform you want (1,2,3).  
carpon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 carpon
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

Backwards compatibility is a nice feature, but if you want to play Xbox games, buy an xbox.  If you want to play Playstation games, but the # of the platform you want (1,2,3).  Fredrick2003x

Well technically, you'd only have to buy a PS3, because it plays all playstation games out of the box.

jacksheets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jacksheets
Member since 2005 • 1747 Posts

WTF!!! What about games that were just completly left out?

I mean, who here wants to play barbie on the 360? I sure dont. what about games like Mercenaries? or the Madden/NCAA series? The Brothers in Arms series? Call of Duty? These games should be on the list.

ithinkitsdead
Obviously you didn't read the reply explaining the reasons why. I love when people just hit reply and start rambling without taking less than a minute to read what has already been posted.
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

[QUOTE="josh_adams_podg"]hey dreamfall a good game GPAddict

YA! And I am happy I get to play it finally.

o seriously, i didnt know the game made the bc list

sweet, ive always wanted to play this game, but my original xbox broke
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

Thank you. I just ignore these types of threads because I dont feel like explaining how it works over and over. Maybe I should just save it in word and pase it.........
Mazujev4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mazujev4
Member since 2005 • 112 Posts
2 words ... The Warriors
PacBoy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PacBoy23
Member since 2004 • 9505 Posts
they need to get freedom fighters on there i want to replay it
NeverSuccumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NeverSuccumb
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts
I agree with Microsoft being a little strange in their BC choices, hell I had Mech Assault 1 and 2, Chronicals of Riddick, Stars Wars: Republic Commando, Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, and none are BC (yet). There're still alot of good games that are BC like Ninja Gaiden Black, Doom 3, and Fable. Sure it's great to add awesome XBOX games to your 360 collection, but if you have a 360 and you're loving the next-gen graphics, power, and gameplay, just stick with it, save the money for 360 games coming later down the road instead of waiting for XBOX games that are gonna be a hit or miss as far as BC goes.
arab_prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 arab_prince
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts
I want the rest of the PoP series. :)
HelpItPlease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HelpItPlease
Member since 2006 • 589 Posts
[QUOTE="ithinkitsdead"]

WTF!!! What about games that were just completly left out?

I mean, who here wants to play barbie on the 360? I sure dont. what about games like Mercenaries? or the Madden/NCAA series? The Brothers in Arms series? Call of Duty? These games should be on the list.

jacksheets

Obviously you didn't read the reply explaining the reasons why. I love when people just hit reply and start rambling without taking less than a minute to read what has already been posted.

LOL it is pretty funny, considering the BC list includes Madden and Call of Duty, as well as COunter Striker who someone complained about before.

I would presonally like to see Timesplitters FP so I can get some good four player MP matches going with my friends.

Baglad5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Baglad5
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts
WHERE THE HELL IS SPIDER-MAN 2!
FreakMan09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FreakMan09
Member since 2004 • 555 Posts
i want Unreal Championship 2...
jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
[QUOTE="Tatusmi"]if you wanna play xbox games... buy an xbox. if you wanna play 360 games... buy a 360. I don't know why people are making such a big deal about this. - Tatusmi

Because people have 360s and don't want to have their old Xbox around just to play old games. I don't see why any of this would bother you.
jacksheets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jacksheets
Member since 2005 • 1747 Posts
It's funny how some of you take Microsoft for complete fools. If it were that easy they would just concentrate on the highest grossing titles first such as many of the games you've complained for (Unreal Championship 2, Riddick, etc). Unfortunately making a game backwards compatible isn't that easy, if it were these games would have been in the first batch. Take the time to learn whats going on with the issue before you start spouting off at the mouth like an uninformed adolescent (oh wait...).
V_Zarnold_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 V_Zarnold_N
Member since 2006 • 1272 Posts
Once again, time splitters is my only real concern. Besides, minority report is an awesome game... with all the cheats on you jump and he flys into thing and breaks them while dressed as a clown.V-taradon-V
yeah i feel ya i want to play ts3 but i cant and i also want to play mercenaries
Avatar image for bubblesbarry182
bubblesbarry182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bubblesbarry182
Member since 2004 • 378 Posts

still waiting for greg hasting pro paintball max'd

indongga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 indongga
Member since 2003 • 10329 Posts
[QUOTE="Saruman1719"]
Question, what the hell are you talking about, Doom 3, lego star wars and SW battlefront I is B/C now, All the good games are takin care of, cept Conker..angelosand

Conker as you said
Otogi
Otogi 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Riddick
Bloodrayne 2
Elder Scrolls III
Soul Calibur II

Hardly all the good games are being taken care of.

OH you know what else? JET SET RADIO FUTURE
jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
The only three I'm waiting on are Riddick, Phantom Dust and Panzer Dragoon. Phantom Dust the most tho, for sure. It will be annoying to not have all my old arsenals to work with, but PD was the best multiplayer on Xbox, it dominated my life on Live for the longest time, including Halo 2. In fact it was what knocked Halo 2 out of my system.
mura89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mura89
Member since 2007 • 50 Posts
as long as they keep working on the list, it's ok at list there working on the backwards compatability problem of there console not like someone else.