Article puts to rest DVD9 size issues forever.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#1 UnlivedPhalanx
Member since 2005 • 5433 Posts
Article: http://gamesfirst.com/?id=1132

I hate to say it folks, but HD-DVD and Blu-Ray aren't needed for true next gen games (although movies are gonna be sweet!)

I, personally, believe that the DVD9 is better than Blu-Ray because it is smaller. Why? With DVD9 programmers have to have clean effecient code to make the most out of the space. With Blu-Ray the space is wide open, leaving way too much room for sloppy development.

Discuss Article.

jsstlh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jsstlh
Member since 2005 • 1078 Posts
Nice Find!
UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 UnlivedPhalanx
Interesting Excerpt:

"Over the course of its life, the size of the average Xbox title increased by 77%. If the Xbox 360 size increases at the same rate, and the four 360 titles are representative of the whole, we can expect the average Xbox 360 title in 4 or 5 years to be around 7.40 gigs, and to occupy about 87% of the disc's capacity. If the largest game deviation is the same as the Xbox, with the largest game being 3 gigabytes larger than the 2005 average, then games will be exceeding the upper limit of what the medium is capable of."
rebelman08r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rebelman08r
Member since 2003 • 92 Posts
Wow, I didnt know that games didn't use much space on their disc.  Halo 2 probably would have been better if they had more time, but I guess you cant blame 'em.  I guess just let them take their time with Halo 3 and use up much of the  9 gig disc.
Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts
Interesting read.  Thanks for the heads up.  This should be stickied, to be honest. 
Cutekitten6_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cutekitten6_18
Member since 2005 • 22640 Posts
Cool
zan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zan10
Member since 2004 • 2964 Posts
good find ... here  u go PS3!!!!
Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts
Well I thought that was pretty obvious. The "We need bigger disc capacity" is more Sony BS like they usually spill cuz they want and need Blu-Ray to succeed. Sony spreads so much BS that I'm surprised that anyone still believes what they say. Resident Evil 4 barely took up 2GB.
Muhannad_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Muhannad_basic
Member since 2002 • 3687 Posts
Yeah that was posted before, but still a good read.
joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 joeamis
Member since 2003 • 3010 Posts
Excellent read, thank you very much, I read the entire article.  Perhaps they're right and 2 disc 360 games will be very very rare, and more the case of a lazy port of a PS3 title.  I think years from now our generation (people not games) will be laughed at for how primitive we were in what we accomplished with file sizes...
F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
well, thats true for the near future, but in time, blu ray will have clean programming and lots of space
F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
i just read the article and started to wonder, they didnt compare Ps1 -ps2, which was a HUGE leap in space size.  that takes all the credibility away from that article.  ps1 used 650 megs (not counting rpgs) and ps2 god of war was dual sided, as well as gt4.  man, i GURANTEE u the xbox will have problems by the 4th year MAX
GodKn0wn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 GodKn0wn
Member since 2005 • 1798 Posts
Worse than primitive.
Vash17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 Vash17
Member since 2003 • 1243 Posts
[QUOTE="F1Lengend"]i just read the article and started to wonder, they didnt compare Ps1 -ps2, which was a HUGE leap in space size. that takes all the credibility away from that article. ps1 used 650 megs (not counting rpgs) and ps2 god of war was dual sided, as well as gt4. man, i GURANTEE u the xbox will have problems by the 4th year MAX

Did the PS1 use DVD?  i thought that the ps1 used cds and the ps2 used dvd.
joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 joeamis

I wasn't talking about primitive in terms of technology.  That has been obvious throughout the decades.  I meant in the future, looking back to this very space in time, they will see how pathetic we were in what we accomplished with the file sizes we used.  But, I must admit technology will be intrinsic to what people will be able to acomplish as humans in this domain.  Nice find though Godknown, did you figure out the code...

I think regardless of the fact that PS1 used CDs and PS2 uses DVDs, the argument about the huge leap in file sizes comparing the two is valid.  On the other hand, a lot has been done in compression recently which works for the author's argument, especially due to middleware.  It's interesting.  It's hard to say for sure what will happen, we really need even more information.

teksol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 teksol
Member since 2005 • 128 Posts
Thanks that was a great article.
lakai14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lakai14
Member since 2003 • 249 Posts
Half-Life 2 used only 2 gigs?? Well that is surprising...
Spideytrac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spideytrac
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts
Has anyone here read the article in the Feb issue of OXM? It states that at the end of the year (2006) a company is coming out with a disc format that can hold up to 1600gb on each disc. This disc would be using holographic technology and has the ability to hold up to 320 copies of Halo 2. Just wondering....this would definitely be a good thing to have added into a future console.
2x4b96123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 2x4b96123
Member since 2003 • 2168 Posts
[QUOTE="F1Lengend"]i just read the article and started to wonder, they didnt compare Ps1 -ps2, which was a HUGE leap in space size. that takes all the credibility away from that article. ps1 used 650 megs (not counting rpgs) and ps2 god of war was dual sided, as well as gt4. man, i GURANTEE u the xbox will have problems by the 4th year MAX

I've been playing PC games for over a decade and the increasing of disk space usage as actually gotten slower. DOOM1 1993 1.2MB, Mechwarrior 2 1996 128MB (not including music), that's like 10000% growth in 3 years

Mechwarrior2 1996 128MB, Quake3 Arena 1999 436MB, that's about 400% growth over 3 years

HALO1 2001 1.2GB (2003 for PC), DOOM3 2004 2.6GB, that's about 250% growth over 3 years

My point is made, developers are increasing efficency as time goes on,

maybe at the end of the 360's & PS3's life there will be one disk format that will last 2 generations. AOL disk 805GB (single layer) and 1.6 TB (Dual Layer) would be a good one

also, compare N64 whose cartriges can hold about 14MB to PSOne which uses CD's @ 600MB, if you compare them you wouldn't see al that much difference between the two in terms of graphics or resolution or anything. My persolan opinion is that N64 games were better than PS1 games in terms of gameplay and graphics
RAFDOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 RAFDOG
Member since 2004 • 5696 Posts
[QUOTE="2x4b96123"] [QUOTE="F1Lengend"]i just read the article and started to wonder, they didnt compare Ps1 -ps2, which was a HUGE leap in space size. that takes all the credibility away from that article. ps1 used 650 megs (not counting rpgs) and ps2 god of war was dual sided, as well as gt4. man, i GURANTEE u the xbox will have problems by the 4th year MAX

I've been playing PC games for over a decade and the increasing of disk space usage as actually gotten slower. DOOM1 1993 1.2MB, Mechwarrior 2 1996 128MB (not including music), that's like 10000% growth in 3 years

Mechwarrior2 1996 128MB, Quake3 Arena 1999 436MB, that's about 400% growth over 3 years

HALO1 2001 1.2GB (2003 for PC), DOOM3 2004 2.6GB, that's about 250% growth over 3 years

maybe at the end of the 360's & PS3's life there will be one disk format that will last 2 generations. AOL disk 805GB (single layer) and 1.6 TB (Dual Layer) would be a good one

very good post..
yeah i read this a while ago and it changed my mind about the 360 needing a Hd-DvD drive
but remember some games are gonna be huge
SC: CT took up the whole 9 gigs
some games are definately gonna need 2 disc
but ey games for the PS1 needed 2 sometimes more and it wasnt too big a deal.
so MS were smart having a DVD-9 for the 360. it saved most of us at least $300US on the system
UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 UnlivedPhalanx
[QUOTE="2x4b96123"] [QUOTE="F1Lengend"]i just read the article and started to wonder, they didnt compare Ps1 -ps2, which was a HUGE leap in space size. that takes all the credibility away from that article. ps1 used 650 megs (not counting rpgs) and ps2 god of war was dual sided, as well as gt4. man, i GURANTEE u the xbox will have problems by the 4th year MAX

also, compare N64 whose cartriges can hold about 14MB to PSOne which uses CD's @ 600MB, if you compare them you wouldn't see al that much difference between the two in terms of graphics or resolution or anything. My persolan opinion is that N64 games were better than PS1 games in terms of gameplay and graphics

Good post, I miss MechWarrior 2.
cjmhockey9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 cjmhockey9
Member since 2004 • 1441 Posts
Great read. I was really suprised to hear how little some games used compared to their predecessors.
CaptainCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 CaptainCrazy
Member since 2002 • 6856 Posts
larger disk space != better games
joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 joeamis
There was a problem with N64 storage.  N64 games had limited textures because of cartridges, you would often see the same textures used repeatedly throughout a game, and some games suffered from bad animation due to size limitations.  Texture mapping was also limited in comparison to PS1 games.  N64 graphics were in no doubt better than PS1, but they were more limited due to storage size of carts.
dunthisb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dunthisb4
Member since 2003 • 208 Posts
If you would like to get this type of info 24 hours sooner, Check out www.majornelson.com Where he posts links to many intresting stories like this one.
XxLoUxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 XxLoUxX
Member since 2004 • 1406 Posts
That's a great article, good find.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Higher capaities will be used by some games when they become available, but they are hardly a requirement for a good game.

For example, as the article indicated, higher resolution graphics do not automatically demand a larger capacity. Any PC game can scale (usually) from 800x600 all the way up to 1600x1200 or higher. Rendering resolution has nothing to do with on disk capacity, except where texture resolution has to be bumped up to match the high res graphics.

However, higher disk capacity isn't a free license to make super high-res textures because you have to have some serious hardware in order to display those textures on screen. Plus, the visual difference between compresses and uncompressed textures can be pretty minor visually after aa and bump mapping. In Doom 3 on the PC, you need a 512mg video card to play in "Ultra" mode without stuttering from the buffering of textures, but the visual difference between that and "High" mode is pretty minor in spite of the performance difference.

Once we start getting into higher capacity disks, this won't mean another several gig of programming code. It'll just mean more media. Back when I was a kid, we had the first CD games on 3D0. The games themselves weren't much better, but instead of Sega Genesis and SNES synsethised music, every game now had a fully digital version of Rob Zombie's Dragula as background music. It was cool at the time, but for a long time that was like the only licensed song that they had in video games and dear god did we get sick of it. :)

No, HD graphics themselves won't make much of a difference in space. However, 1920x1080 quality FMV will eat up that disk like there's no tomorrow. On the other hand, in game graphics are improving to the point that few games rely heavily on pre-rendered FMV anymore.

-Byshop

DeathStar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 DeathStar17
Member since 2005 • 4858 Posts
Thank You!!!
xmas2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xmas2002
Member since 2002 • 1495 Posts

I hate to say it folks, but HD-DVD and Blu-Ray aren't needed for true next gen games (although movies are gonna be sweet!)

I, personally, believe that the DVD9 is better than Blu-Ray because it is smaller. Why? With DVD9 programmers have to have clean effecient code to make the most out of the space. With Blu-Ray the space is wide open, leaving way too much room for sloppy development.

Discuss Article.

UnlivedPhalanx

Never say that some evidence will put an issue to rest forever... it never does :(

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 UnlivedPhalanx
If you would like to get this type of info 24 hours sooner, Check out www.majornelson.com Where he posts links to many intresting stories like this one.dunthisb4

I do read his site almost daily, but this article was on Digg.com 2 days before he posted it. Coupled with my being away from a computer most of the time lead to the delay of me posting this. He does have a good site and is defenetly worth checking out.
Avatar image for Dark_Spartan796
Dark_Spartan796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 Dark_Spartan796
Member since 2005 • 60 Posts
Wow, that's a good read. I find it hard to believe that Morrowind was actually that small. 900 MB seems small for a game in which the entire map takes 30 minutes to cross. Some of these games are large, but that's because they weren't tightly coded. UT2004 and F.E.A.R. are good examples. MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries was only about 1 GB, and that's because it was very tightly coded. Even though the graphics weren't that great, the gameplay was still very well done.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Wow, that's a good read. I find it hard to believe that Morrowind was actually that small. 900 MB seems small for a game in which the entire map takes 30 minutes to cross. Some of these games are large, but that's because they weren't tightly coded. UT2004 and F.E.A.R. are good examples. MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries was only about 1 GB, and that's because it was very tightly coded. Even though the graphics weren't that great, the gameplay was still very well done.Dark_Spartan796

There's a little more to it than that. Textures, sound effects, spoken dialog, and things of that nature (all media) are by far the most space consuming aspects of any game. It's not really fair to compare the sizes of Mechwarrior 4 with modern games since MW4 is a five year old game.

-Byshop

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
[QUOTE="UnlivedPhalanx"]Article: http://gamesfirst.com/?id=1132

Discuss Article.

the information in that article is lies. if the game only took up less than half of the dvd9, then why would they even use a dvd9, they would use a dvd4.7, as they are cheaper.
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mistervengeance
also, blu-ray advantage for ps3 will become more evident in the future. they will be able to make final fantasy games hugely expansive and graphically amazing. and take full advantange of the beautiful cell processor.
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mistervengeance

Discuss Article.

UnlivedPhalanx

uhh... if this is true, then why is the up and coming rpg Blue Dragon for the xbox 360 going to take up 3 dvd9's? it won't be as expansive as oblivion, but the story will be really long. still, according to the article, this should only take up one disc completely fully. 

jmartinez1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jmartinez1983
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

i just read the article and started to wonder, they didnt compare Ps1 -ps2, which was a HUGE leap in space size. that takes all the credibility away from that article. ps1 used 650 megs (not counting rpgs) and ps2 god of war was dual sided, as well as gt4. man, i GURANTEE u the xbox will have problems by the 4th year MAX F1Lengend

You are making the mistake of trying to use a comparison between systems of two different generations to systems of the same generation.  The PS1 had pretty bad 3D graphics, the PS2 had much better, and the Xbox even better.  

Regardless, who cares?  Its been a while, but we used to accept disc spanning as a compromise for space limitations, no reason why we can't accept it now.  Also, don't Blu Ray discs costs a whole lot of money?  Like over 20 bucks?  You could span 30 DVDs and still cost less.

illbitcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 illbitcrusher
Member since 2004 • 2052 Posts

Discuss Article.

mistervengeance

uhh... if this is true, then why is the up and coming rpg Blue Dragon for the xbox 360 going to take up 3 dvd9's? it won't be as expansive as oblivion, but the story will be really long. still, according to the article, this should only take up one disc completely fully. 

Blue Dragon has tons of FMVs. Videos take up alot of space compared to what you actually play
skinnypete91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 skinnypete91
Member since 2006 • 6022 Posts
interesting.. thanks!
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Discuss Article.

UnlivedPhalanx

Being a developer that uses the DVD medium it's what I've been saying for a long time, but still a nice find.

Kobugodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 Kobugodo
Member since 2003 • 409 Posts

This article a quite old... I'd love to see some real data on it now... I'd love to see what the average capacity for games right now... The article talks about Oblivion... and how it "will" fit on a DVD9... as in the article was written before it's release. in the 360's first year of being out... we've only seen 1 game so far on 3 DVD's... and that's Blue Dragon. And yeah... it's all about the FMV, Dialogue and all that media that is taking so much space. if it wasn't for all that it would prolly fit on 1 disc.

Basically... it's putting restrictions on developers to create. It's saying... ok... make a game... but... don't have voice overs for everything... don't have any FMV... just have ingame... have lower quality sounds... make your textures a bit less crips... and re-use them alot... and YEAH... it'll fit on a DVD. I think it's BS... what's even worst is that people on these boards don't blame the medium... but blame the developers for not coding properlly. And then... those same people will complain that a game sucks because it's too short or it doesn't look good... or just doesn't sound right.

I think it was a terrible decision on MS part to not include a medium, in every 360, that they "support".

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
[QUOTE="mistervengeance"]

Discuss Article.

illbitcrusher

Blue Dragon has tons of FMVs. Videos take up alot of space compared to what you actually play

QFT. Thats why FF is going to take up major space, nothing to do with the graphics or cell but because of 50 hours of FMVs.
jackle2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 jackle2071
Member since 2004 • 5477 Posts
where DVD9 being small on size is not that big of a deal (gears of war) it does not hurt to have a little more room. people will just hold this topic to heart becaues there fave next gen system didn't support the format. now cost aside and all that jazz. face it if xbox360 shipped with a HD-DVD rom evry one in this board would be like HD-DVD FTW! i dont really care for fan boy remakrs on the matter i know i can still get some great games on DVD9 disc like Mass Effect! but also i love to see how devs take advatage of 50 gigs of data. to date we have no real good exsamples of a 50 gig game. (or really any games on the PS3 taking up 50 gigs) but games like MGS4 and FF13 R&C should prove to be intresting. thoes of you who think devs would do a sloppy job with so much head room. needs to also take in the fact that some day they are going to have to.