Are there any slower paced FPS games available?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MajorInfidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MajorInfidel
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I'm nowhere close to being the skilled gamer that most of you are, but I have enjoyed several of the better FPS games over the years. I have a PS2 that's close to 10 years old, but I haven't bought a new game for it in probably seven years. My Mac G5 is about 5 or 6 years old and I enjoyed playing some of the Tom Clancy and Call of Duty games on it in its younger days. I've been out of luck on that platform though since Apple switched from the PPC to the Intel chip. So, after a several year hiatus, I'm starting to get the FPS bug again. I'm not ready (read: can't really afford) to replace my Mac yet, so I'm considering a gaming console. I get the feeling that the Xbox might be my best bet. The only problem is, I'm not sure how much I would enjoy the current crop of FPS games. In the first place, I always play in single player mode and I realize that's not necessarily the primary focus these days. Additionally, I tended to enjoy offerings like the Clancy Rainbow Six: Raven Shield game which afforded a fair amount of autonomy in allowing you to choose what route and at what pace you would accomplish the mission. Even with my original CoD deluxe box set pretty much let you engage threats and advance at your own pace. In contrast, I had an opportunity over Thanksgiving this year to play a few minutes of the new CoD Black Ops edition for the Xbox. Though the graphics were quite impressive, single player mode felt more like an arcade game to me in which I was merely racing to keep up with the guy in front of me, shooting everything that moved and trying not to die in the process. There was none of the map studying, strategizing and sneaking around eliminating threats that I remember enjoying in the earlier games. Granted, I'm basing my opinion of Black Ops on a very small part of the overall game, but nevertheless I'm wondering if maybe there are other games out there you could recommend that might be better suited to my preferences; or perhaps I should be considering a different system altogether. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
nottu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nottu
Member since 2010 • 951 Posts
Farcry 2, is an open world FPS, you can go into a conflict however you choose, you can complete the missions when ever you want. If you don't mind playing really outdated games, then any of the farcry's would give you that sort of gameplay. Bioshock 1&2 are more about the environment and the story then just shooting everthing as fast as you can. Can't think of any others of the top of my head, but the go at your own pace, strategic sort of FPS's, unfortunately don't really exsist anymore
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
Team Fortress 2 is sort of slow-paced and it is extremely cheap. It comes in The Orange Box which is five great games in one. If you play on the map 2FORT you can just defend until you think you are good enough to attack. It isn't that hard to kill people while defending unless they are extremely good and then it can be difficult. You can choose the class that best suites you so there is a lot of strategy.
sivasiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#4 sivasiva
Member since 2007 • 1101 Posts

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising 2. Be mindful of the extreme problems in the game though.

MajorInfidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MajorInfidel
Thanks very much for the quick responses and the recommendations, guys. I'm not really familiar with the games you've mentioned, so I appreciate having a starting point from which to begin my research.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
Thanks very much for the quick responses and the recommendations, guys. I'm not really familiar with the games you've mentioned, so I appreciate having a starting point from which to begin my research. MajorInfidel
The Orange Box is one of the best deals out with four singleplayer games and one multiplayer game which is Team Fortress 2.
sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising 2. Be mindful of the extreme problems in the game though.

sivasiva
This is a great recommendation. I LOVED Dragon Rising, but like SivaSiva said, be aware that the game has some extremely glaring flaws (most notably the checkpoint system). Still if you like realistic, slower-paced, open-ended shooters, FlashPoint is your best bet on the Xbox right now. You may also enjoy Rainbow Six Vegas and Vegas 2, although they tend to lean more towards the arcadey side of things. Good luck with the jump to this gen!
_Doomsayer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 _Doomsayer_
Member since 2008 • 18616 Posts
The Darkness is my favorite fps on the 360. It throws some demonic powers into the mix, like being able to impale people with tentacles. It is definitely not a twitch shooter.
bobomb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 bobomb64
Member since 2005 • 737 Posts

Splinter Cell: Conviction, would be a good game for you. It's third person rather than1st but I rekon it would be right up your street.

Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
bioshock 1 and 2 are slow paced shooters
bessy67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bessy67
Member since 2007 • 1734 Posts

It's not technically a pure shooter, but Fallout 3 is definitely a slower paced game that is open-world and lets you go about enemy encounters however you want to.

manocanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 manocanada
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

Boarderlands is pretty slow paced, and has like a billion guns you can use.

VALikimlav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VALikimlav
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
I think Gears of War is a good shooter to get into. Once you get into that, it's easier to get into some of these other FPS games. And it's pretty slow and somewhat easier than first person shooters.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#14 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

How about ARMA II or Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising?

Also, Borderlands is fast paced when in combat, but is all about looting, grinding, and leveling up if you like that.

JDollaz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JDollaz85
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts

Fallout 3, Bioshock 1 & 2 are some of my favorite games and are slow paced FPS. You can play Fallout however you want to and they all have good RPG elements added into them.

Stevo7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Stevo7991
Member since 2010 • 1319 Posts

You can figure this out in the game recommendation sticky thread.

MajorInfidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MajorInfidel
One final thanks again to everyone for all the outstanding recommendations. Maybe the FPS genre hasn't completely passed me by after all. :) Thread is bookmarked for future reference.
kit352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 kit352
Member since 2008 • 592 Posts
try brothers in arms and bioshock. dead space is great as well but not really fps. mirrors edge is stunning but not a shooter really.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#19 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

quantum of solace single player is like any other jamesbond fps, but multiplayer eh stay away

so ya i dont know they all seam to be going the way of cod /halo