are the halo novels any good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

Okay so I've really started getting into game tie-in novels after having read Mass Effect: Revelation, Mass Effect: Ascension, and Gears of War: Aspho fields, all of which I found to be surprisingly well-written. Are the Halo novels good or are they insulting to the intelligence of an adult?

SolidKeevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 SolidKeevo
Member since 2004 • 2092 Posts

Halo: The Fall of Reach - Amazing book, really get into the life and hardships the Spartan's have faced. Best one out of them all :D

Halo: The Flood - Skip, skip, skip. Hated this book. Pretty much retells the story of Halo 1. Sucks.

Halo: First Strike - A must read, not as good as TFoR, but creates a bridge between Halo 1 + 2.

Halo: Ghosts of Onyx - Loved this one as well, nearly as good as TFoR in my opinion. Awesome stuff.

There are still Halo: Uprising and Contact Harvest which I haven't read. I only enjoy the Halo games for their storyline and even that can't compare to the storyline in the novels. Great books if you're interested in the Halo series and want to know how Master Chief became the person he is in the games.

nebagaman4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 nebagaman4life
Member since 2006 • 65 Posts
first one= awesome Second = worst book I've ever read (and I read quite alot) third= good but not great after the third they just become mediocre, if your halo starved read the first and third, if your still not full read the ones past the third.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#4 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I have them just never read them I figure if I'm going to read might as well read something outside the realm of a video game
grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
[QUOTE="Toriko42"]I have them just never read them I figure if I'm going to read might as well read something outside the realm of a video game

that's the spirit! I read the first three and only the first one, Fall of Reach, was worth it. The 2nd one is by a different author then the first and third, plus it's basically just a text version of Halo1. First Strike is ok but it felt very oddly paced and at times really ridicolous. But Fall of Reach is pretty good, this is coming from a guy who reads more than he games by the way.
atrack800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 atrack800
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Hey, yes the first one, Fall of Reach, was good but don't expect it to be the next "great American novel", but for a Halo fan should be worth the time to read it. I started the 2nd one which is a remake of the 1st game, and stopped since it didn't tell me much more then I already knew. I have the 3rd one but haven't read it.

I did read the 1st Mass Effect book and it was good. I knew they were coming out with a 2nd one but didn't know it was out. I'll have to go get it!!

FalcoLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FalcoLX
Member since 2007 • 4452 Posts
Read all 3 by Eric Nylund. I didn't think contact Harvest was that great and I haven't read Cole Protocol yet.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#8 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I've read The Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, Contact Harzest and Cole Protocol and I enjoyed all of them. I don't plan on reading the Flood. I hear it's the worst one and I just dont see any point in reading it when it's about Halo Combat Evolved, a story I got to experience first hand.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.
death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#10 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts
I have a really big interest in the Halo books also, I know I will read them one of these days, I've heard good things about them though from one of my friend's who has read them all.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Fall of Reach - Best one The Flood - Pretty much retells Halo CE with some backstory on the covenant First Strike - Not as good as Fall of Reach, but better than the Flood Ghosts of Onyx - Second best one Contact Harvest - Couldn't stand it, didn't enjoy the writing style at all.
YayapTehGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 YayapTehGrunt
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts
I loved all the novels, personally. They provide some really interesting backstory to the games. They flesh out the characters a lot more and really show you where they all came from. I even did enjoy The Flood, though obviously my opinion is not universal. Fall of Reach is the best, imo. Poor thing is so abused... The spine of my copy has actually cracked in two; I use packing tape to hold it all together.
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts
i like the books especialy space naval battle by Cpt. Keys on tFoR
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts
I've only read the first one, but it is very good. It fills in some of the back story and is very well written.
BeyondSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BeyondSupreme
Member since 2009 • 30 Posts
How are the Mass Effect and Gears of War novels? I was thinking about getting them but not sure what relevance they have to the games.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
I thought they were all good (even The Flood wasn't THAT bad) and worth reading. I've never understood why people criticize Halo's story, I think it's a deep and interesting universe.
EddieTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 EddieTheGreat
Member since 2007 • 270 Posts
The idea of making a novel of a game seems weird..
Iqen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 Iqen
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts
The idea of making a novel of a game seems weird..EddieTheGreat
I agree. I can't just imagine reading about Halo or Mass Effect.
cronew1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cronew1
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts

Halo: The Fall of Reach - Amazing book, really get into the life and hardships the Spartan's have faced. Best one out of them all :D

Halo: The Flood - Skip, skip, skip. Hated this book. Pretty much retells the story of Halo 1. Sucks.

Halo: First Strike - A must read, not as good as TFoR, but creates a bridge between Halo 1 + 2.

Halo: Ghosts of Onyx - Loved this one as well, nearly as good as TFoR in my opinion. Awesome stuff.

There are still Halo: Uprising and Contact Harvest which I haven't read. I only enjoy the Halo games for their storyline and even that can't compare to the storyline in the novels. Great books if you're interested in the Halo series and want to know how Master Chief became the person he is in the games.

SolidKeevo

I agree with what you said and I enjoyed them all. The second gives you some more detail as to what was going on around the chief in the first halo like were he kept getting from place to place and were all his backup kept coming from but it would be more fun to just play the campaign again.stay away from the graphic novel though that was terrible

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 KSU-Wildcat
Member since 2008 • 859 Posts

I read the first two, and they were so good that it actually ruined the Halo 2 and 3 single player experiences for me, if that makes sense. The Halo universe, because of the awe and mystery set up by the first game, and then the addition of these books, is amazing and deep. These all get you incredibly excited. When you play the campaigns in 2 and 3, you will think the gameplay is ok (not as intense, hard, or engrossing as CE), but you will think the storytelling is laughable. I absolutely LOVE Halo 3 multiplayer (Gamertag: NOVA PR0SPEKT (The O in PROSPEKT is a zero)), but I do not see how anyone can give it (or Halo 2 for that matter) anything all time worthy in terms of videogames. The singleplayer experiences are just plain laughable, sloppy, and boring.

So...post rant. You will enjoy the heck out of the books, which may make you even go replay Halo: CE (you should, it's still amazing). All of these will make you, like me once, think that Halo has one of the best stories in videogames. Once you play the garbage singleplayer games in the other two however (again, the multiplayer components are amazing) you will probably laugh at some of the plot points and just get plain mad at others. I Don't know how or why Bungie destroyed the singleplayer, the story, and ultimately the Halo Universe, in Halo 2 and 3, but they did, and you will not appreciate the story anymore once you play them.

cronew1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cronew1
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts

[QUOTE="EddieTheGreat"]The idea of making a novel of a game seems weird..Iqen
I agree. I can't just imagine reading about Halo or Mass Effect.

Im ok with the halo books because no matter how you play the story stays the same. Mass effect gives you too many choices in game to expand upon like that. My Shepard might not be anything like yours. I haven;t read it but the only way I can see it working was if it was based on other secondary characters

Blue_Abyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 Blue_Abyss
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts
I'v read them all there good but not american classics , they'll pass for good sci-fi novels though. As many have mentioned before the Fall of Reach is the best all, the Halo books written by Eric Nylund are the best out of them all but dont discount the others they still contribute to the Halo Universe.
Blue_Abyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 Blue_Abyss
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts
The Gears of War novel is good not as good as the Halo Novels and Mass Efeect is good too. Gears of War Asphos Fields is good because it explains alot about how Marcus Finex and Dom Santiago grew up togehter and why Marcus seems like such and emotionless character, but really he's not and it also feels in on the world of Sera and whats its like outside the game its really good just not as good as the Halo novels. Mass Effect is just a prequel to the Mass Efect series, and explains why the Seron is bad.
s2i2p2i2o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 s2i2p2i2o
Member since 2003 • 602 Posts
you should also read the splinter cell books...