Are multiplayer bots in games a good idea?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

baboy_baka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 baboy_baka
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts

What are your opinions on the idea of having bots in multiplayer? Games such as Gears of War 2 on the Xbox 360 and Killzone 2 for the PS3 have bots in multiplayer. What do you think?

guitardude1243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 guitardude1243
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts

I think they are a good idea like in the case of GoW 2 when somebody drops out at least you have something else for the other team to fire at on your side, even if its a crappy A.I. dude.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Great thing because then you can practice. Before you go online with other people you can test out the maps,vehicles,modes,and figure out where the best spots are.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#4 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
How would they be a bad idea?
Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
Yeah i like the idea offline, i guess it can work online too but it will get to the point where people arrange to just fight bots to get to top of the leaderboard or whatever. But would come in handy when someone leaves.
GwannaSauna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GwannaSauna
Member since 2008 • 583 Posts

Bots are the best thing ever, especially if you're alone :D

As for some bots online, that would be cool to see Humans vs. Bots (bots would be slaughtered)

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Yeah i like the idea offline, i guess it can work online too but it will get to the point where people arrange to just fight bots to get to top of the leaderboard or whatever. But would come in handy when someone leaves.Strider_91

The only way i'd see bots working online is if they had great AI and were defaulted to the highest difficulty.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#8 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
actually they will be set in Nightmare, a shame the AI is nto as good as their accuracy
Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts
As long as theyre not stupid, then Im fine with it.
Duke_51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Duke_51
Member since 2008 • 806 Posts

I think bots are hilariously fun. Not to mention they're good for practicing and screwing around.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
i like em, but the bots in Gears are just frustrating, they dont attack, but have amazing accuracy. if u die and your friends die, watching bots finish the last of the match is so painful, plus they dont use power weapons even though they pick them up. its pretty much lancer all the way
inuyasha2338

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 inuyasha2338
Member since 2003 • 929 Posts

I think its a great idea. It helps train the player and past time

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
yes, it is a good idea. most of the PC games have bots that play when there aren't a lot of people playing on the server. u can practice with them so u can learn how multiplayer is.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

I think bots are a great idea because then you have the option of playing offline by yourself if you don't feel like playing online. It also allows you to practice. I think it's a great option to have.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
They are a good idea for when people drop out of the game.They are a good idea for when you want to practice up.
jirca87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jirca87
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

They can be good, depending on the circumstances. For practicing, they can be great. But you should always have the option to play with them or not and you should always be aware of whether or not it is a bot or a person (which is one of the many reasons SSBB failed online in my eyes). But if there is some sort of ranking involved, they should never be used, as they can easily be used to distort statistics. I can't speak about their use in GeOW2 though, as the disc didn't work long enough for me to try online.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I like them, they are great for practice.

joke_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 joke_man
Member since 2005 • 1177 Posts

When we have bots in Versus playing Left 4 Dead, the bots are usually far better than any of the random players you can pick up, haha. They can spot infected and special infected a mile away and gun them down, not to mention they are far more generous and willing to heal you, etc.

anomalous_egad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 anomalous_egad
Member since 2008 • 173 Posts
Whilst great for practising or offline multiplayer games, and private multiplayer games, putting them into public games in place of humans isn't that great. Personally i find it distracting, especially when you're in the heat of battle and you get your head blown off by a bot from a mile away that wasn't even facing you (we've all experienced the miraculous shots that bots can pull off at one time or another). Also if i'm playing public games online, i'm doing it to play against other people, not bots, otherwise i'd just do a private match. The addition of bots to public matches in GeoW 2 to replace people that drop out will be interesting. It could either be a great success and help keep the teams a little more balanced when people drop out, or it could just be total crap, and annoying.
l33isb345t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 l33isb345t
Member since 2009 • 263 Posts

I think they're a great idea especially in gears 2 when people drop out and it's no fun for anyone!

Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts

Great thing because then you can practice. Before you go online with other people you can test out the maps,vehicles,modes,and figure out where the best spots are.

craigalan23

Took the words right out of my mouth.

phynixblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 phynixblack
Member since 2007 • 1113 Posts
I beleive that including bots in actual multiplayer should mean you have a VERY extensive system making damn sure the AI is at the level needed for a challenging game. If the AI is too stupid it gets preyed on for cheap wins, If I is god walking on earth then you have unfairness to newer or lesser skilled players. I figure they should take the AI's and set difficulties. Easy, Normal, Hard AI. When a Bot is added to a game, it takes the score of the other teams MVP and then the score of the teams least scoring player. Get an 'inbetween number and it will set a difficulty. The better the other team is doing the tougher AI they will end up facing, the worse they do, the dumber the AI. Also, this AI would have to update itself every four to five spawns to garuntee accuracy.
phynixblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 phynixblack
Member since 2007 • 1113 Posts

[QUOTE="craigalan23"]

Godofnerdyness

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Multiplayer bots and Online Multiplayer bots are different species of topic. I agree that playing bots for a few offline practice games is great and serves as the absolute best situation for all gamers. Gears of War 2 got a serious thumbs up for allowing nearly all multiplayer based achievements to be unlockable through the bot matches as I remember.

Multiplayer bots become an issue that is easily as bad as any cheat, mod or exploit when not extremely carefully implemented into the online experience. A stupid AI will drag the team down quickly as other players simply prey off it for extremely easy kills. An AI with too much skill in comparison to say a new player will end up in a team doing good, then doing even better because an AI on their team is nearly instantly getting headshots with a sniper rifle.

AI is more accurate then people at times since technically it can't help but read your movements. AI also has to follow patterns, meaning eventually everyone will just kill them off without thinking. The bots in GoW2 for instance, they are easy to predict. The AI behaves the same way EVERY time. You also can't ask an AI to help youand it wont ask for help back. Many large disadvantages.

I beleive Bot AI in Online Multiplayer is possible, but for the most part inconvenient. I have yet to see an AI bot that can correctly keep up with a team of players. I have even less hope since these will be teams hell bent on winning.

Although, there is one bright side. AI cannot be affected by lag switches the way normal players are. When someone trips a switch on it, it will most likely be immune to damage as opposed to standing still open to attack. At least, this is my current assumption based off of what I know and have seen about lag switches and such means of cheating.

maddog_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 maddog_mat
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I think its a great idea..... especially when it is only you and 1 friend on the one xbox you can fill out the teams with A.I people...... also can anybody remember that old battlefield game on the computer, i thought it was awsome having like 50 guys running around on your team that was so much fun, back in the day **sigh**..... but you should be aboe to choose between having them or not
iboo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 iboo01
Member since 2007 • 2784 Posts
it fully depends, but I wouldnt recommend it
m30w_cP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 m30w_cP
Member since 2008 • 107 Posts

I think theyre all right. Considering one of the oldest and most respected day of defeat clans started as three guys playing against 15 bots set on high difficulty. So as far as them being laughable... its all about what difficulty setting you put them on. Put them on max and the second you are within shooting range your dead even when they're not facing you.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#27 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
They are pretty much mandatory in any FPS game that offers offline or online multiplayer. Not everyone like PvP. Casual FPS'ers might still love the same game as you but they want an easier or more casual gaming experience with their friend/s and choose to fight bots instead of other people who only want to use cheap tactics and make everything only about the kills.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
Done well bots can be a really good addition to a game.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I love bots in multiplayer.

mrkalamazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 mrkalamazoo
Member since 2003 • 52 Posts

I used to love bots in old multiplayer games such as UT, and wished that Halo would have included them when the game first came out. Now, however, I feel like they're no longer needed. Becuase of the ease of finding opponents with online gaming, you can get a room full of people in no time.

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
Bots are good to replace drop out players. And not all bots are easy. Bots on the hardest difficulty on CSS are ****** impossible. I swear to god, they just one bullet headshot you constantly.
BahamaPapa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BahamaPapa
Member since 2003 • 334 Posts

I truly wish that every multiplayer game would include an option for bots. Lets face it, playing online is great, but there are times when I want to enjoy a quick multiplayer match that is specifically tailored to my liking (excluding all the cursing and immature behavior we sometimes find online).

• Bots make the replay value of any game limitless.
  • With bots it doesnt matter if you cant find enough of the right people to play a game...
  • Bots allow you to play a map at its full compliment of players with no lag, slowdown, drop-outs, or any such negative effects.
  • With bots you can practice ALL of the gameveriants and not just the ones which are the most popular.

I fully realize that bots may be extreamly dificult to program into multiplayer games, but I think developers should still seriously consider this vital addition...

pmamba45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pmamba45
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Bots with decent AI is a good option from online lag exploits and see it as an ideal platform for gamers who want fair difficulty to improve. Combat training in COD: BB for me is the best bot contingent i've seen.
rattleheadxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rattleheadxyz
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

It's a great idea and would actually make me more likely to purchase some multiplayer-heavy games. I can practice/learn the maps weapons, etc before I have to face real people. Or, if nothing else it will make the game last longer since I'll never have to worry about a game being 'dead' online.