Amnesia...or why not on XBOX 360...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

Horror-genre is pretty extinct nowadays for the XBOX 360 community. Just looking at the PC section of GameSpot, a gamer would question why there are so many great horror-games that are PC exclusive and MS is not porting more and more to the XBOX collections. Yet, we constantly seeing number "2s" of every possible sequel that can be made.

The reason for this topic is because i was reading some topics over in the PC gaming forum and they were discussing this survival-horror game Amnesia. I watched some gameplay videos and trailers and i cant stop being disappointed that we dont get many of those types of games, considering the low numbers of quality horror games for the XBOX. If we are talking about shooter, FPS or TPS, i would not be so upset but obviously there is a niche in the horror market and i believe MS is missing out on.

There are two similar topics in both the XBOX and PC forums: "What is the scariest game you have ever played?" Well, for XBOX you will get answers like Condemned series, Dead Space, Silent Hill Homecoming and...not a lot more but those are the major ones...Just look at the selection they have for PC, i mean it is astonishing...

To finish it off, Amnesia: The Dark Descent looks like a gem, unfortunately we are left out of its darkest secrets.

#2 Posted by kfjl (2469 posts) -
I don't think I've ever really been that scared by a game but I was starting to get freaked out a bit just from the demo of this game. I think I'm gonna buy it over steam but it'd be cool to see it come to XBL
#3 Posted by legionofme (25 posts) -

The 360 appears to be a machine that can no longer decide on what kind of gamer it should be catering to. The Dark Descent is a fantastic game and despite leaning quite heavily on the tropes of the PC approach to fist person games, could be a step toward innovation in terms of what gamers the 360 attracts.

We can't be so few in number that Dark Descent would not find an audience and lead to a profitable niche.

#4 Posted by the__joker (6013 posts) -

If amnesia was on the 360 I would not buy it. Not because it's a bad game, but because it's good and does one hell of a job with what it aims for.

I played for a while and had to stop on the water level, damn you water level, DAMN YOU!

#5 Posted by Mabrry (113 posts) -

^This is true lol.

Sadly I haven't played Amnesia ever since the save data got buggy and caused me to have to restart the game..

and I do NOT want to relive some of those moments. One of the very few games that can freak me out, probably due to the fact that you can only run and hide!

But back to the topic, I wish Amnesia was on the xbox as well, I always love a good horror game, and not to mention achievements! I think the only scary games i've played on xbox was Condemned (pretty weird) and the first FEAR, which after that started losing it's horror-ness? Oh, and Dead Space was a little scary too, at given moments.

There is a sequel in the works for Amnesia as well, which looks just as scary considering i've only seen the teaser trailer. Better get back to playing the first then... (I have the Justine main menu song stuck in my head. GULP)

I really should stop rambling :D

#6 Posted by the__joker (6013 posts) -

Amnesia: A machine for pigs I think it was called. It looks sick :D

Good things about those games are that they are true horror survivors, no heros, no grenade launchers. Just you, your legs and a couple of doors against blood thirsty creatures (that won't stop when someone shuts a door in front of them).

#7 Posted by RoslindaleOne (7566 posts) -

If amnesia was on the 360 I would not buy it. Not because it's a bad game, but because it's good and does one hell of a job with what it aims for.

I played for a while and had to stop on the water level, damn you water level, DAMN YOU!

_TheJoker_
:lol: Same here!
#8 Posted by lenson (2515 posts) -

I've played some of amnesia, but not enough to get a feel for it. It definitely has a spooky atmosphere. Another great title similar to Amnesia is the Penumbra trilogy which is the series the same developers worked on before creating amnesia. I certainly do not know why the game never came to 360, but perhaps the developers did not have the funds to develop a 360 version, or the publishers felt it was too risky, or it could be that the developers simply did not think the game was suited for a console. In any case it is easier, and cheaper to develop for pc especially when you focus on your main method of delivery being that of digital distribution. While 360 has digitial distribution as well I have heard somewhere it is much more difficult to get a game on to xbox live than it is on to pc digital distributions such as amazon, steam, or direct 2 drive.

#9 Posted by Blueresident87 (5654 posts) -

I don't think I've ever really been that scared by a game but I was starting to get freaked out a bit just from the demo of this game. I think I'm gonna buy it over steam but it'd be cool to see it come to XBLkfjl

It would be great to see it available on XBL; I have yet to play it but I will be getting it over steam as well.