Alan Wake vs Silent Hill...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#1 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Does Alan Wake have the intensity of Silent Hill or is it more of an action tittle like Resident Evil 5?? I know I could just check out the reviews but I'd rather hear it from the core gamers.:)

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

Does Alan Wake have the intensity of Silent Hill or is it more of an action tittle like Resident Evil 5?? I know I could just check out the reviews but I'd rather hear it from the core gamers.:)

MarcRecon

It's more like RE5, it's pretty rare that you'd get freaked out playing it. I haven't played the newest silent hill only the ps1 and p2 ones..

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#3 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

[QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

zaku101

It's more like RE5, it's pretty rare that you'd get freaked out playing it. I haven't played the newest silent hill only the ps1 and p2 ones..

Wow...I was planning on getting that 360 Alan Wake bundle. I'm getting another 360 eventually, it's just that Alan Wake would have given me an accuse to get it sooner then later!! lol

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

MarcRecon
Alan Wake is great game. It has some scares, but its story is what keeps you hooked while playing.
zombiejonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zombiejonny
Member since 2003 • 8277 Posts

i got scared quite a few times in alan wake, its also alot of fun. The most recent silent hill that came out IMO was pretty good but rather disapointing, i just didnt find it all that scary and also you used guns alot more often in it comparing to the other ones in the series which i found it less scary because knowing you can just blow anyone away in your path.

whelan0862010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 whelan0862010
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Well in my personal opinion, there are vast differences between these two games. For instance Alan Wake is an action packed thriller; that places equal emphasis on both the action and the atmosphere and Silent Hill is a survival horror that incorporates intense and visceral meelee combat but places most emphasis on the scary, surreal, and industrial environments you explore and has a spooky foreboding atmosphere. The story in Alan Wake is engaging and will have you hooked no doubt abeit being a little short! The atmosphere is intense with you exploring dense foggy woods that inhabit hatchet weilding maniacs ready to jump out at you at any given time thus creating a foreboding atmosphere throughout. The dynamic environments are impressive which involves buildings exploding, trees falling in your path, and objects being hurled at you from all directions. The means of eliminating enemies is confinded to focusing your flashlight on the enemy until you have drained his shield and then you must shoot him your revolver a few times until he's dead which proves be a frustratingly consistent combat system. However Silent Hill is not an action packed game but offers a terrifying experience and has an intensly powerful combat system. Projectile weapons in Silent Hill are scarce so will find yourself mostly fending off enemies with pipes, or wooden planks. You must be within close proximity of your enemy to successfully execute an attack though. The story in Silent Hill games have fluctuated as the series progressed. If you want my advice i would purchase the first two titles (Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2) in the series. Yet the question remains is what are you looking for? If you want pulse pounding action while still getting the odd scare then i would recommend Alan Wake whereas if you are looking for a a frighening experience then i would opt for Silent Hill
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9159 Posts
this gen alan wake easily
PER5ONA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 PER5ONA
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

In a nuetshell

Silent hill for heepy jeepies and nightmares.

Alan Wake for epic combat. And Coffee Thermos can't forget them.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

[QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

zaku101

Actually I believe it's more like SH than RE because:

RE uses the type of horror seen in countles movies: Someone or something jumps out of nowhere and attacks you, while SH has more of a psychological feeling to it: you're lost in a place where everything can happen and it's out of your control.

In AW you don't get scared because someone was behind a door or something, but instead you get the feeling of being watched, like someone is following your every move, it actually gets on your nerves.

AW follows the same pattern SH does, obviously that is my oppinion, it's personal and it's, in no way, a fact.

One last thing, AW is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than RE5, now that is a fact.

gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts
I found Alan Wake to be much better than the latest Silent Hills games and RE5. In Alan Wake, it always felt like you were not safe. You were always on the move and always nervous and not expecting what is going to happen next.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#12 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I've never played Silent Hill, so I can't comment. But I love Alan Wake. It's got some good action and it has plenty of stuff that makes you jump and panic.

_Doomsayer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 _Doomsayer_
Member since 2008 • 18616 Posts
I would say it is closer to Silent Hill in terms of both story and atmosphere. It is an action game, but it feels much more like a survival horror game to me than Resident Evil 5 did.
SgtStrungOut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 SgtStrungOut
Member since 2005 • 360 Posts

Alan Wake is a joke. SH destroys it all over. There is like what, only 2 enemy types in the entire game, the human taken and poltergeists. What a joke. SH is scarier, more challenging, more disturbing, better atmosphere and it has ALOT of enemy variety. Anyone who disagrees is NOT a gamer.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
Please don't bump old threads.