Action-Adventure v. RPG:

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Legendary_Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Legendary_Ross
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts

Could some of you explain the differences between Action-Adventure as opposed to Role-Playing games?

What specific elements designate the two? Thanks.

Avatar image for chicken_slasher
chicken_slasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 chicken_slasher
Member since 2008 • 817 Posts
action - adventure... i hate rpg's
JoeTonks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 JoeTonks
Member since 2005 • 189 Posts
Action adventure I'd say encompasses platformers and third person shooters. RPGs are mostly more meditative and mentally challenging, as opposed to physically. Though there are action RPG's and thats when the lines blur beyond all repair!
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

action - adventure... i hate rpg'schicken_slasher

I'm with you.

What I'd like to know the difference between action/ adventures and 3d platformers.

USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 USSJAndrew
Member since 2004 • 5042 Posts

They are very close genres, especially with Action RPGs such as Fable and Oblivion. Adventure games just focus more on combat while still allowing you to collect stuff(predesignated) and RPGs focus more on you getting stuff, while still allowing you combat.

Thats the best definition i can give.

RoadDog772

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 RoadDog772
Member since 2006 • 29 Posts
A Role Playing Game lets the player decide the alignment of the Player Character. One example would be Knights of the Old Republic. You can play as a Jedi, Sith or Grey Jedi. Are you Good, Evil or a little of both? An Action Adventure Game follows a preset alignment. One example would be The Godfater. The Player Character is a Gangster. What ever you like play, have fun!
fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
RPG's are all about the character(s) and how they progress in the story. They are often a little more challenging and allow more freeedom in how you progress through the game. Action-adventures are maybe, you've guessed it, action packed and focus more on the combat. However, with action RPGs and Action-Adventures there isn't too much difference
brnf0rce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 brnf0rce
Member since 2006 • 223 Posts

RPGs focus on character development. Stats will be increased (HP, intel, strength), and items will be collected. It allows you to be in the videogame. In an action-adventure you will play as a certain character (Zelda games for ex). Most Action-adventure games incorporate RPG elements to increase the level of connection that the gamer has with the main char.