Achievements....after the servers go down?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

I'm sure this is a noobish question but I'll ask it anyway. I have a few games on my back log (Alan Wake, SC: Conviction, Reach, etc) that I have completed but I want to get the rest of the achievements. My question is for games that have multiplayer/co-op/online achievements does it simply become impossible to get them once the servers go offline? I'm sure that even a game like Conviction will still have servers up for another couple years right? I just think it is silly if achievements are unobtainable at some point, gamers are basically stuck at that point.

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#2 white_sox
Member since 2006 • 17442 Posts
Yes, some old sports games are this way. They are simply unobtainable.
paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
Yup, that is one of the biggest reasons people hate online achievements, the fact there will be no legit way to get them after the servers go down.
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts
Hmmmmm ok. Well I'm pretty new to Xbox, so how long are the servers generally up for a game? For example I recently got RDR and I still have a ton of co-op achievements to get for SC: Conviction. Neither of those servers are likely to do down soon are they?
kit352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 kit352
Member since 2008 • 592 Posts
sometimes servers are up for a while and some go down very quickly, you never know. if your worried its time to start playing those. some games its just plain hard to get enough people to play to get the ach. prey is one ive been working on for awhile but no one really plays it anymore.
Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts

I was under the impression that every single game on Xbox Live has a peer to peer component meaning that there isn't a need for servers to play online. I know some games offer dedicated servers but I would be suprised to find more than a handful of games that can no longer be played online on the 360. Either way I wouldn't worry about it with the games you listed.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
Hmmmmm ok. Well I'm pretty new to Xbox, so how long are the servers generally up for a game? For example I recently got RDR and I still have a ton of co-op achievements to get for SC: Conviction. Neither of those servers are likely to do down soon are they?Jurassic85
They won't go down for at least five or six more years, Halo 2 and the rest of the old Xbox Live just got taken down like three months ago or something.
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

I was under the impression that every single game on Xbox Live has a peer to peer component meaning that there isn't a need for servers to play online. I know some games offer dedicated servers but I would be suprised to find more than a handful of games that can no longer be played online on the 360. Either way I wouldn't worry about it with the games you listed.

Sparky04
I thought so too. I know some EA sports games require you to connect to EA servers and BF games have dedicated servers, but for the most part, you should be able to play a game online as long as the community is still active.