Achievements made me lose sight.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sammyt555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sammyt555
Member since 2008 • 220 Posts

Does anyone else feel like they have been pulled away a little bit from the game itself because of achievements? I cant help but go after them and i feel like going after goals that arent really tied to the game itself takes away from the experience of the game. At this point i have to make sure that i dont see any sort of achievement list before i play a game!

Anyone else? ......am i crazy??

DoMiNiC147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 DoMiNiC147
Member since 2008 • 984 Posts
I go after some after I beat the game.
Keizaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Keizaru
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Yeah I go achieve them after i've beaten the game.
-theCHUD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -theCHUD-
Member since 2008 • 1648 Posts
achievements are pointless honestly. just play the game. thats what i do
MastaP110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MastaP110
Member since 2004 • 230 Posts
I think achievements are pointless as well. My friend will sit playing games just to get achievements and for some people it does increase play time of certain games but for me I could care less.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9ba38f308de
deactivated-5f9ba38f308de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-5f9ba38f308de
Member since 2005 • 1468 Posts
uh... no.. achievements don't mean anything.. unless they are like in LO - "Complete Disk 1" then THATS an achievement...you've finished part of the game. But if it's like AC - Collect all of the flags. or whatever. helllllllllllllllll no
solo4321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 solo4321
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts
uh... no.. achievements don't mean anything.. unless they are like in LO - "Complete Disk 1" then THATS an achievement...you've finished part of the game. But if it's like AC - Collect all of the flags. or whatever. helllllllllllllllll noSpirit_Warriors
Exactly, I hate games that tell you to collect stuff.
Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts
I feel the same way sometimes.
cluelesspug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#9 cluelesspug
Member since 2007 • 3398 Posts
i think achievements have a purpose. Instead of getting to the end of a game and staring at the credit roll and thinking to yourself what to do now that it's all over, you actually have something to go after. I personally love to gain achievements, but I don't play games only for the achievements.
RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 RebornInFlames
Member since 2006 • 1192 Posts
I just hate it when developers come up with douchey achievements and then tie lots of points to them. GTA IV had the pigeons (worth 150 pts because you need them for 100%), and there is no way I will go after them. That sort of thing is only fun in games like Crackdown, where you can jump 50 feet and run as fast as a car. Trying to find 200 hidden pigeons with Niko's slow ass, tapping A the whole time? No thanks.
R_MAHIL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R_MAHIL
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts
yh i do go after gamerscore sometimes. like now im going through the halo campaign even though i hate it. the online is awesome but i thought the campaign was way below par but now seeing as though i can get over 300G im going for it.
RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 RebornInFlames
Member since 2006 • 1192 Posts
yh i do go after gamerscore sometimes. like now im going through the halo campaign even though i hate it. the online is awesome but i thought the campaign was way below par but now seeing as though i can get over 300G im going for it.R_MAHIL
Wait til you get to the parts where the game stops every ten seconds so Cortana can tell you something you don't care about at all. Below par will have a new meaning.
Peaches1347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Peaches1347
Member since 2007 • 777 Posts
yea i know what you guys mean i didn't look at the achievement list for fable 2 till after i beat it i didn't want to go out of my way. I am the type of person that if i see something that requires me to do something special or out of my way...i'll do it and make sure i get it maybe its and OCD
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Well I try to ignore Achievements the first time I play through a game and when I play it again, I try to get as many as possible.
ROBBYBEAR1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 ROBBYBEAR1985
Member since 2008 • 564 Posts
Although I thinkachievementsare a great idea I've decided to refrain from becoming anachievementwhore. Seeing your friend get to 20,000 score by playing good games that are very hard then you see some whore with 200,000 and it bothers me for some reason. Sadly a few weeks ago I bought a couple games to raise my gamer score but I have since seen the light and I'm never doing it again. Seriously it's almost pointless, yes I will chase after some in a GOOD game (GTA4) so for me they do give me some replay value.
Iqen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 Iqen
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts
i think achievements have a purpose. Instead of getting to the end of a game and staring at the credit roll and thinking to yourself what to do now that it's all over, you actually have something to go after. I personally love to gain achievements, but I don't play games only for the achievements.cluelesspug
This is exactly how I feel about achievments. I do try to earn some achievements as it makes games seem more funner. But to play games just for them is taking it too far.
I just hate it when developers come up with douchey achievements and then tie lots of points to them. GTA IV had the pigeons (worth 150 pts because you need them for 100%), and there is no way I will go after them. That sort of thing is only fun in games like Crackdown, where you can jump 50 feet and run as fast as a car. Trying to find 200 hidden pigeons with Niko's slow ass, tapping A the whole time? No thanks. RebornInFlames
Hehe. I highly agree.
Nocturnal15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nocturnal15
Member since 2006 • 1476 Posts
Some achieves are absolutely ridiculous like collecting hundreds of hidden items in a large world like GTA, Assassins Creed, Crackdown etc etc. However, some achieves are great and make you play the game fully rather than just complete it and throw it to the side. I love achievements for what they are but I hate when companies abuse them and make you collect horrendous amounts of tiny crap littered around large worlds. ~_~
R_MAHIL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R_MAHIL
Some achieves are absolutely ridiculous like collecting hundreds of hidden items in a large world like GTA, Assassins Creed, Crackdown etc etc. Nocturnal15
i agree. on crackdown there is find 500 agility orbs which are sort of hard but they are all on rooftops which makes it a little easier. but then they say find 300 hidden orbs. these things could be anywhere and they are always in stupid places like behind a bin or in a dark alley - the name HIDDEN orbs sort of gives it away.
Deltapixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Deltapixel
Member since 2008 • 154 Posts
I actually like hidden treasures achievements. Unless you went on a website and looked where to find them, those are true achievements. Getting rewarded for finishing Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3 and so on in Dead Space is lame. I'm not saying all I want is finding and collecting stuff but be a bit more creative. Getting 90% of the achievements by playing through the game once does not extend the replay value whatsoever.
symon_say

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 symon_say
Member since 2008 • 26 Posts

Achivements are nice touch to games this days, but play just for then is stupid, i play the first time without even looking what the achivements are, then the second time is to get as much achivements as i can and that's it, next time i play i dont care anymore about then.

But is really nice when get some difficult achivement and you get a little price for it, like complete the game 100%.

ryan04101994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 ryan04101994
Member since 2008 • 53 Posts

Achievments are gud but it distracts you from the game (beta the ps trophies)

Tailscoolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 Tailscoolio
Member since 2006 • 443 Posts
Sometimes i look at the acheivements and if i see one thats easy i go for it. but otherwise i just enjoy the game so that acheivements feel like a bonus instead of a task...
Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts

Yeah I go achieve them after i've beaten the game.Keizaru

Same here. I like collecting achievements, but only after I beat the game. I like to see them as a challenge, plus they add a lot of replay value imo.

R_MAHIL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R_MAHIL
Sometimes i look at the acheivements and if i see one thats easy i go for it. but otherwise i just enjoy the game so that acheivements feel like a bonus instead of a task...Tailscoolio
yeah good point. i like it when an achievement pops up and i have no clue what it is. it feels better when you dont expect it.
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
I usually play through the story first without noticing any achevements and then once I finish it I usally look at them and find out what to do some of them are good cause I dont think I would ever try and go back and replay COD4 on verterine.
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#26 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
I really like achievements I think they are a great addition to gaming. I probably wouldn't have finished half the games I have if it wasn't for the achievements.
Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts
I play the game and get achievements, but I dont go out of my way to get the achievement. Like in World at War; There's an achievement to assassinate General Amsel with a pistol. Uh, Ill never get that. When Im finished a game, Ill usually go back and attempt to get a few achievements though
atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
I can see where you're coming from. I also don't look at achievements right when I first get a game; it helps maintain the integrity of the games I play. But personally, I don't have any trouble balancing the amount of attention I give to a game's achievements and the game itself. I try to think of everything I do in a game as something towards getting an achievement (which is almost always the case, so that's not so hard to do), and that helps balance things out and allows me to enjoy the game as I normally would while still setting out to get achievements in it. There are some instances in which I feel I could/could have enjoyed or experienced a game a bit more had it not been for its achievements, but not very often, so I don't really have issues with that.
spazpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 spazpol
Member since 2003 • 238 Posts
One of those subjects that depends on the game. I will usually try to go through the game and beat it, then go back through for the achievements. Some games just get so mundane that even achievement hunting gets pointless. I just recently completed Amped 3 and going for the achievements forced me to get through 100% of the game (same with Lego Star Wars) so I can now officially retire those 2 to never waste time on them again. Then some games like Bad Company, there are achievements not even wasting my time to get since they seem practically impossible to get (like every single type of badge achievement). But some of the xbox live games to get all the achievements equates to literally wasting hours of your precious life (like geting 40,000 fish in Feeding Frenzy, man that was a waste of many good hours i'll never get back). But it does force me to play games longer then I normally would without achievements, so I think I get my moneys worth out of the game, and if I do complete a game to 100% achievement, unless it has great multi-player options, I usually consider the game thoroughly exhausted.
jarvis008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jarvis008
Member since 2008 • 518 Posts
i think achievements have a purpose. Instead of getting to the end of a game and staring at the credit roll and thinking to yourself what to do now that it's all over, you actually have something to go after. I personally love to gain achievements, but I don't play games only for the achievements.cluelesspug
Thats exactly how I feel.
Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Omni-Wrath
Member since 2008 • 1970 Posts
I hate them. I really can't play games anymore unless it is easy achevments. I need more gamerscore.
Avatar image for deactivated-60156c31f349f
deactivated-60156c31f349f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-60156c31f349f
Member since 2005 • 2836 Posts
Achievements are ok I guess, but I really hate achievements that requires you to do stuff online, those really suck if you ask me, they just put them in so people will play their game online alot
Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts

Likewise. As long as the game is fun, i'll be glad to go back and earn some achievements after i've finished the game

Gerdeman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gerdeman15
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts
ii used to play just for achievements but now i dont really care