Achievements... bad?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

desertrat_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 desertrat_90
Member since 2004 • 376 Posts
At first, I really liked the idea of achievements but now I'm starting to despise the things. I mean, no longer are people playing for fun, but they are playing just to boost their gamerscore and once they've got all the points on a certain game, they move on to the next game. People aren't joining types of games on XBL which they enjoy, they choose the types of games they need points for, e.g. getting the car to level 4 50 times on saints row. I even find myself doing this sometimes. Does anyone else agree with me?
hkmp5a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hkmp5a2
Member since 2003 • 1315 Posts

well...some achievements make the game very fun, like COD3 only using a bolt action rifle to kill for a level.

achievements that make you play the game in different ways are the good ones, the ones that are just tossed at you for doing nothing more than getting something in a game that you have to get or do something to finish the game are the bad ones I think.

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts
The achievements & Gamer Score system has both its pros & cons, but pretty much everything is like that. Most people will play would they enjoy over what they still have points to obtain from.
Immortal_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Immortal_Evil
Member since 2007 • 2004 Posts
I think its the spark needed to flare gaming towards to future. It gives you a reason to play video games in some ways.
Anabub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Anabub
Member since 2006 • 8316 Posts
As said above there are always pro's and con's to everything but from my own personal experience I really like them I have nevr played games for as long as I do know or indeed in the difficulty levels I do now ... a big A+ from me ... I don't really look at anyone elses I just play games for myself not bragging rights.
nimmow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#6 nimmow
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts
Atleast it gives people an incentive to get the most out of the game they bought unlike some who play for an hour and then move on to the next game without going back. I do find myself getting a little bit obsessed with achievement points but atleast I feel a little bit happier everytime I see they 360 symbol flash at the bottom with the name and value of the achievement.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
Atleast it gives people an incentive to get the most out of the game they bought unlike some who play for an hour and then move on to the next game without going back. I do find myself getting a little bit obsessed with achievement points but atleast I feel a little bit happier everytime I see they 360 symbol flash at the bottom with the name and value of the achievement.nimmow
QFT
Zephyr_Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zephyr_Elite
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
Yes, I agree, and thentheyand their friends tag team you so they can get all their points online.
Sitting_dux0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Sitting_dux0r
Member since 2004 • 503 Posts

I think they are a good thing, the main problems being people now boost to get them in online games, which can ruin games for everyone.

Also there is no real standardisation of the achievements, some games you can get all 1000 points in an hour or so, some could take years, or have things like win 100 ranked online games and it gives you 10 points. Theres nothing wrong with the latter, but achievement points should be put in place by ONE team in microsoft who then standardize them based on difficulty. This way achievement scores will actualy mean somehing rather than "i have played all of these easy games, i rock".

The plus about it is that with a bit of effort you can just compare games individual scores to your friends, like my shadowrun vs his /her shadowrun.

Super-Trooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Super-Trooper
Member since 2004 • 1591 Posts
The downside of achievements.. http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/02/advertising-coming-to-xbox-360-achievements/

ugh die EA
ernelson1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#11 ernelson1976
Member since 2002 • 170 Posts

Personally, I love the achievements when they're done well. They aren't done well in every game, though, that's true. I like it best when the achievements are unique--like in COD3, where you could go through a level with specific weapons, or with limited amount of ammo. Those were fun. Some people used to do that sort of thing anyway, but now we get the badge of honor when we actually succeed.

I don't really think there's much of a downside at all.

macman1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 macman1978
Member since 2006 • 243 Posts
lol..... you are a minority my friend. achievements are fun and give games longevity. achievements are by far the smartest thing xbox did. if a game comes out for all three systems and a person has all three they will get the xbox versions for the achievements.
SiLkYsHoT33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SiLkYsHoT33
Member since 2007 • 135 Posts

I think its the spark needed to flare gaming towards to future. It gives you a reason to play video games in some ways.Immortal_Evil

No, it gives you a reason to play garbage games. If a game is good, it shouldnt have to include all these dumb achievements to keep people playing it. Like Gears, that game sucks but alot of people still only play it because of the achievements, alot of players went back just to get the additional 250.

XBL Achievements &Home's trophies will destroy games.

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts

[QUOTE="Immortal_Evil"]I think its the spark needed to flare gaming towards to future. It gives you a reason to play video games in some ways.SiLkYsHoT33

No, it gives you a reason to play garbage games. If a game is good, it shouldnt have to include all these dumb achievements to keep people playing it. Like Gears, that game sucks but alot of people still only play it because of the achievements, alot of players went back just to get the additional 250.

XBL Achievements &Home's trophies will destroy games.

Also QFT - I played Superman Returns just for the points. Horrible game.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
I don't really care for getting Achievements, I mean if I am playing a game and I just happen to get an achievement I think to myself "cool, I got an achievement" but it doesn't bother me much. I have heard about people who didn't care about getting them but then thought that they may try to get them and then they got addicted to getting achievements and ranting or buy crap games just for them. So I am going to try not to try and get them because they take a lot of fun from gaming.