achievements are stupid!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ridethestreets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ridethestreets
Member since 2007 • 155 Posts
i think that achievement's are stupid and pointless right now. except for random bragging. don't you guy feel that if you could buy stuff with them then it would make things allot cooler? and also if you could have something that you wanted to buy with your achievement's what would it be?
snipeshot11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 snipeshot11
Member since 2007 • 1006 Posts
Did you just join Gamespot to say that? I think achievments are an amazing idea for both gamers and developers. They put a lot more replay value onto all the games. Personally I love getting achievment points. Anyways all lipping aside, welcome to Gamespot.
kerrman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 kerrman
Member since 2003 • 2904 Posts

They give me reason to play a game more than once. The fact that they add replay value makes games actually worth buying for me. But lots of people do find them dumb and pointless.

They also do show skill too, for example "The Inhuman Achievement" on Guitar Hero III.

Avatar image for Louis_Routledge
Louis_Routledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Louis_Routledge
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts
Not all of them show skill. Some of them just show you've spent the time to through a kid's game from point A to point B, but I guess that IS commendable.
sinx1971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 sinx1971
Member since 2003 • 4731 Posts
to me achievement points are just a novelty
Toastman923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Toastman923
Member since 2003 • 385 Posts

to me achievement points are just a noveltysinx1971

yeah what he said, and there's nothingwrong witha little novelexcitement now and then

You should just stop playing 360 altogether, god forbid you may earn an achievement...

Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts
you love em'
Louis_Routledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Louis_Routledge

[QUOTE="sinx1971"]to me achievement points are just a noveltyToastman923

yeah what he said, and there's nothingwrong witha little novelexcitement now and then

You should just stop playing 360 altogether, god forbid you may earn an achievement...

*Stares at your gamerscore*

Dead_Prophecy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dead_Prophecy
Member since 2005 • 7305 Posts
No, achievements are entertaining. Nothing like playing Hour of Victory.
contaminated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 contaminated
Member since 2005 • 5373 Posts
to me achievement points are just a noveltysinx1971
my thoughts exactly
WickedBurner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WickedBurner
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

To me, they are recognition. You cleared this game. You cleared this game on the hardest difficulty setting. You played this game a whole lot.

You know yourself it's true, but you get the recognition on top of it. Allot of people like to get recognition for the stuff they do. It's fun to get it, even though you really don't need it.

I like it.

ridethestreets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ridethestreets
ahahah actually i used to havea differentaccount but since i was stupid and i am technically "under age" (16) to watch mature videos i made this one.
ridethestreets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ridethestreets
ok so i get that you guys like your achievements. but wouldn't you rather be able to do a little something with them? or would you just like to stare at them on ur interface?
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

i think that achievement's are stupid and pointless right now. except for random bragging. don't you guy feel that if you could buy stuff with them then it would make things allot cooler? and also if you could have something that you wanted to buy with your achievement's what would it be? ridethestreets

I'm sorry you feel that way. I still think they're cool and add replayability to games that normally wouldn't have it. To me they give me satisfaction and sense of accomplishment. But that's just me.

WickedBurner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WickedBurner
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

ok so i get that you guys like your achievements. but wouldn't you rather be able to do a little something with them? or would you just like to stare at them on ur interface?ridethestreets

The only thing I would want more from achievements is a guideline rule on how developers should use achievements in their games. Games that give away achievements for nothing are lame. But the ones in for example Burnout Revenge; the one where you need to make a clip that gets into the top 20 clips is insane as well. Stuff like that shouldn't be put into a game. The achievements should be challenging but at the same time, should be unlockable by everyone.

Bloodhawk_DX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Bloodhawk_DX
Member since 2004 • 306 Posts

Buying something with achievements is a really lame idea. No company is going to dish out the money to pay for the items we buy with gamerpoints. If you want a better achievement system, create a better discussion thread about achievements and then submit the ideas to the Microsoft feedback forums. Who knows, you might just get what you want. Don't bring up some absurd idea to them or it'll get ignored completely. No one is going to support a crazy idea, it has to be something appealing, rewarding and reasonable.

Louis_Routledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Louis_Routledge
I'd be happy with being able to have priority access to betas, be able to download pics and themes.
KWpimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KWpimpin
Member since 2007 • 117 Posts
I think the acheivement system adds alot more fun into games because its like you are getting rewarded for playing games and beating missions this is one of the main reasons i didnt purchase a ps3,becasue it seems boring to play a game hours on end and get absolutely no recognition.
ridethestreets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ridethestreets

Buying something with achievements is a really lame idea. No company is going to dish out the money to pay for the items we buy with gamerpoints. If you want a better achievement system, create a better discussion thread about achievements and then submit the ideas to the Microsoft feedback forums. Who knows, you might just get what you want. Don't bring up some absurd idea to them or it'll get ignored completely. No one is going to support a crazy idea, it has to be something appealing, rewarding and reasonable.

Bloodhawk_DX
ty vm
booomer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 booomer69
Member since 2005 • 4107 Posts
I dont even bragg about my Gamerscore,Its about knowing i can achieve the full 1,000.Mostly for me more than anyone else.
david60639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 david60639
Member since 2005 • 6951 Posts
A friend of mine is obsessed with them. He trys to brag about his 45,000 gamerscore, then I tell him I'd rather not waste my time playing lame Disney and sport games just for a high number next to my GT.
KWpimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KWpimpin

I dont even bragg about my Gamerscore,Its about knowing i can achieve the full 1,000.Mostly for me more than anyone else.booomer69

Agreed

ridethestreets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ridethestreets
I'd be happy with being able to have priority access to betas, be able to download pics and themes.Louis_Routledge
thats what im talking about !
KWpimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KWpimpin
i have a pretty decent score,but i just play the game and the Acheivement is is a pleasent surprise..lol