Acheivements Vs Unlockables

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

What do you gamers prefer. I ask because it seems like nowadays unlockables are in the form of DLC. Before online gaming was the norm to consoles....unlocking maps, costumes, characters, tracks, cars...etc were fun to obtain through gameplay. It helps make the game addictive for me. Is it a hassel for ya'll to work on unlocking content yourselves? Do you want all the unlockables to be avaliable from the start? I hear a lot of people on here addicted to acheivements. Its a shame the day has come where we have to pay for costumes, cars and levels. I understand DLC is another way to make money and extend the life of the game but I dont want unlockables to be phased out.

megamadman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 megamadman5
Member since 2006 • 725 Posts

unlockables for sure. gamerscore really means nothing to me, and usually when you see someone with a high gs, you just think there a no lifer. nobody thinkes, WOW i wanna be like him!

imlolmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 imlolmon
Member since 2009 • 503 Posts

i didnt read anything you said but i loveee achievements. i dont know what it is though.. like if i played a game and beat it that had no achievements then wiped my memory and played the game again with achievements id have so much more fun with it.. even online MP games like bf:bc, i have tons of fun playing it, but i know when i unlock all the achievements i wont have much desire to play it anymore. some achievements are rediculous to get, so my goal is to just get 700+ gs on all my games.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BLAS1AN

i didnt read anything you said but i loveee achievements. i dont know what it is though.. like if i played a game and beat it that had no achievements then wiped my memory and played the game again with achievements id have so much more fun with it.. even online MP games like bf:bc, i have tons of fun playing it, but i know when i unlock all the achievements i wont have much desire to play it anymore. some achievements are rediculous to get, so my goal is to just get 700+ gs on all my games.

imlolmon

can I ask if your a younger gamer? The younger gamers on my freinds list have a ridiculous amount of gamerpoints. did you break your neck toget the mile high Club achievement in Call of Duty?

Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hotwire246
Member since 2004 • 848 Posts
Yeah I think Achievements are a way for people to show their skill (only on some achievements though) and record what they've done in games which is cool because before you could have done something amazing and had no way to prove it but now its there for everyone to see. Ofcourse there are always the ones that are just easy to get and take no skill at all... So I definately think its the actual achievements that count, not the gamerscore. I think unlockables are probably better if you don't play online though... And if they are actually decent unlockables that significantly add to the game then yeah I'd prefer them over an achievement.
xscott1018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xscott1018
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts
i like unlockables more then achievements. it brings more things to do in a game then achievements. i don't really care for achievements they are just a way of wasting time. they do nothing later in the game.
Demolition69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Demolition69
Member since 2006 • 263 Posts

[QUOTE="imlolmon"]

BLAS1AN

can I ask if your a younger gamer? The younger gamers on my freinds list have a ridiculous amount of gamerpoints. did you break your neck toget the mile high Club achievement in Call of Duty?

I did it in like 10 tries... not at once either
imlolmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 imlolmon

[QUOTE="imlolmon"]

BLAS1AN

ill be 18 in 2 months and i dont even own any of the call of duty games. i like battlefeild more and would rather wait for the second one to come out

Oakfront

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Oakfront
Member since 2007 • 2788 Posts

Unlockables, its a shame we hardly see any in games anymore :(.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="imlolmon"]

BLAS1AN

whats young and whats a ridiculous amount of gamer points?
explosivecorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 explosivecorn
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
unlockables definitely they make the game more fun and your gamerscore is just a number that no one really cares about
Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hotwire246
Member since 2004 • 848 Posts
unlockables definitely they make the game more fun and your gamerscore is just a number that no one really cares aboutexplosivecorn
That's arguable, though. The challenge that some achievements bring can be alot more fun than a new costume.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
Personally I think that we should see both but this just isn't the case anymore.
imlolmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 imlolmon

i think instead of charging so much money for DLC's which can make the price of ONE video game go up to like 100 dollars which is beyond rediculous they should have like 1000 GS per DLC for any game. something like that.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BLAS1AN

[QUOTE="BLAS1AN"]

[QUOTE="imlolmon"]

chaoscougar1

whats young and whats a ridiculous amount of gamer points?

anyone around the 18 or below age. A dude on my freinds list who is in high school has like 68,121 points...thats incredible

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#16 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
Personally I think that we should see both but this just isn't the case anymore.judog1
yupp. but I think both are the same. but when you get an achievement, you REALLY have something to show your progress. because if you tell someone you unlocked something, the won't even believe you half the time. but if you see an achievement someone has, you know it's for real. but sometimes, people glitch achievements :P
zombehhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 zombehhhh
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

It depends. I like to unlock new costumes and stuff in some games, but I voted for achievements.

Avatar image for monkeymoose5000
monkeymoose5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 monkeymoose5000
Member since 2007 • 6111 Posts
Why are achievements winning? Unlockables get you stuff like you said: cars, maps, etc., but achievements just raise the number in your gamerscore. Seriously? :|
dlindenb2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -11

#19 dlindenb2000
Member since 2005 • 4750 Posts
I like what ME did, achievements that give you unlockables. Like the ones that let you give new characters extra skills, and up the stats of all your characters, like regen HP, faster CDs, more XP and such. A person playing ME with all the achievements has a significantly stronger character then one playing without. Wish more games made your achivements matter in the game, instead of just on a scoreboard.
R_MAHIL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 R_MAHIL
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts
both!!!
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I love both

fear9204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fear9204
Member since 2009 • 641 Posts

i fell that achievements are just useless

judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#23 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
[QUOTE="judog1"]Personally I think that we should see both but this just isn't the case anymore.orb_03_2006
yupp. but I think both are the same. but when you get an achievement, you REALLY have something to show your progress. because if you tell someone you unlocked something, the won't even believe you half the time. but if you see an achievement someone has, you know it's for real. but sometimes, people glitch achievements :P

I see what you are trying to say, but I was saying you should also get a in game items like weapons and stuff like that along with achievements.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

I prefer unlockables as they are worth getting. In Clive Barkers Jericho you unlocked a bestiary which made the story a lot better and also I really enjoyed the creatures descriptions. I played the game on hard and got around 780 GS from it which I didn't really care about. If more games had bestiaries I would go for achievements.

Commando015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Commando015
Member since 2009 • 325 Posts

Acheivments. They make the games so much more exciting, I remember re-playing a few games and not getting the acheivments on my new Elite and it just didn't feel the same without the Acheivments.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BLAS1AN

Why are achievements winning? Unlockables get you stuff like you said: cars, maps, etc., but achievements just raise the number in your gamerscore. Seriously? :|monkeymoose5000

Thats what I was afraid of hearing. So may people get off on achievements these days. Sounds like people love gamerscores to compete and show off there skills.

Staszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Staszy
Member since 2009 • 241 Posts
its close i would have to say acheivements
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

unlockables get the edge but i'm really stuck between the two.

unlockables are nice cause they give you something different to use/do but if i ever unlock those i usually don't play the game again with that item

if there is an achievement for doing something with the unlockable I'll go for it but otherwise i don't really have any incentive to play the game anymore if i've unlocked everything

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
This is why I like Mass Effect so much - they give you both. When you earn an achievement it also gives you some benefit in game, either a boost to your character, more damage dealt, new skills unlocked. I would like to see more games implement things like this where you get something in game besides just increasing your gamerscore. I will still end up chasing all the gamerscore, but a few unlocks would be very welcome :)
arccommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 arccommander
Member since 2008 • 44 Posts

Unlockables because they can give you new awesome stuff most of the time.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
You know something. I wish I could reset my achievement points like I can with unlockables. I mean, start a new save or delete my save data and I can go do it all again. Achievements, nope. You only get them once. I think game designers want a few easy achievements, a few normal achievements and a few near impossible achievements and you would have to be insane to want to delete those ones... And they should add up to a score that shows you are awesome or something... but I don't really like the cummulative score much but I do like to see achievements pop-up. I guess I could just play them with a different gamertag... but then I would have to switch my gold account all the time and such... I agree with the TC though, I don't want unlockables to be phased out and turned into DLC we have to pay for...
BlueCoopsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 BlueCoopsy
Member since 2008 • 996 Posts

I dont know thats a tough question, unlocking things in games are fun, but achievements are quite fun also. Whatever keeps a game alive.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#33 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Unlockables. But games like Dead Rising, Mass Effect and Crackdown did it right. They offered fun achievements for the achievement people but also added cool in game unlockables for everybody else. Especially Dead Rising.
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BLAS1AN

You know something. I wish I could reset my achievement points like I can with unlockables. I mean, start a new save or delete my save data and I can go do it all again. raahsnavj

why would you want to start your gamerpoints from zero again? do you love hearing that achievement pop up sound?, lol

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts

[QUOTE="raahsnavj"]You know something. I wish I could reset my achievement points like I can with unlockables. I mean, start a new save or delete my save data and I can go do it all again. BLAS1AN

why would you want to start your gamerpoints from zero again? do you love hearing that achievement pop up sound?, lol

No, but I do like to see how I'm progressing through the game. And sometimes I think it would be fun to try and get certain achievements before triggering others.
jirca87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 jirca87
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

I like both, but achievements just can't compare to unlocking bonus things in games. They both add replay value, so that's always good. Like a couple others mentioned, I like the way Mass Effect did it as it gave you achievements as you unlocked stuff in the game.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#37 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I like having multiplayer content available from the get go. Especially with fighting games where the single player is typically pretty shallow and dull. But with online multiplayer oriented I think unlockable is a bad idea. I think it's best to have everything available to everyone for the sake of having a level and balanced experience.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#38 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
[QUOTE="BLAS1AN"]

[QUOTE="raahsnavj"]You know something. I wish I could reset my achievement points like I can with unlockables. I mean, start a new save or delete my save data and I can go do it all again. raahsnavj

No, but I do like to see how I'm progressing through the game. And sometimes I think it would be fun to try and get certain achievements before triggering others.

You could always to what a few of my friends did. They started a new profile and played through their games all over again re-unlocking the achievements.
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BLAS1AN

[QUOTE="raahsnavj"][QUOTE="BLAS1AN"]

K1LLR3175

You could always to what a few of my friends did. They started a new profile and played through their games all over again re-unlocking the achievements.

wow..I had no idea people were this obessed with acheivements. I could see if it effected the gameplay as well like ME and Jericho as others have mentioned.