A man can only tolerate so much!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jeffwb17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 jeffwb17
Member since 2004 • 1778 Posts

So about two weeks ago, while I was playing on my xbox 360, I got two red lights. Not the red ring, mind you, just two red lights right after the fan on my system sped up and emitted this loud whirring sound. And any time I get on, I can only play about five minutes worth before it does it again. My warranty is expired, so since then, I've cracked open the case and tried everything. I've cleaned the fan and the heat sinks, I've applied a new thermal compound, and I've got no idea as to how I should proceed. Is this an actual hardware issue or can my elite still be salvaged?

Brain_Fillets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#2 Brain_Fillets
Member since 2008 • 212 Posts

Is the fan spinning when you turn it on? If not, you could probably just replace it and call it a day as long as it didn't overheat anything too much.

jeffwb17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 jeffwb17
Member since 2004 • 1778 Posts

Yes, I can feel air coming out of the back.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Sounds like you need to replace it then... since it is some kind of hardware error and you can't even pay microsoft to fix it since you broke the seal... I recommend an arcade (then just re-use your HD, but remember to transfer the licenses)...

Brain_Fillets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#5 Brain_Fillets
Member since 2008 • 212 Posts

Before you just go out and replace it, I would do a little more research on your problem. It might be something that you can take and get soldered, which wouldn't cost much at all, especially if you know how.