5 reasons red dead redemption could be the best sandbox game ever

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ice_man_1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Ice_man_1985
Member since 2005 • 4700 Posts

Red Dead Redemption could quite possibly be the best open world sandbox game to ever be made. Even with great games like Grant Theft Auto 4, inFamous and Just Cause 2 out on the market already Red Dead Redemption seems to out-do all these games in every aspect. It borrows the best elements from each game and improved them.

When Grand Theft Auto 4 was released it was praised as the holy grail of open world games – the amount of detail and polish that went in to Grand Theft Auto 4 was amazing. Unfortunately, the game lacked variety and gamers grew tired and bored of it's linear and repetitive game-play. We then had inFamous, a game that had a little more variety and was a lot more fun to play. The Good/Evil system, although shallow, was fun and it certainly added to the sandbox experience. Just Cause 2 was the next sandbox game to deliver top notch graphics with a vibrant and colourful world that was fun to explore – though it was not as realistic as Grand Theft Auto 4 it was definitely more fun to play. We are now getting closer to the release of Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption and so far it's looking like the best open world sandbox game to date.

Here are five reasons why Red Dead Redemption could be the greatest sandbox game ever made:

5. The Wild West

We've seen futuristic eutopias, cities in ruins and tropical paradises – it's about time we get to experience something different, and what could possibly be better than the wild west? What little boy did not fantasize about being a bad-ass cowboy? Rockstar Games is finally giving every gamer the chance to live his childhood fantasy.

4. The Good, Bad and the Brave

Red Dead Redemption lets you play the game the way you want. There is an honor and reputation system in place which ultimately defines your character. You can play the hero by doing just things, or the villain by breaking the rules and doing it your own way. For example, you could help the community by doing good deeds such as capturing escaped prisoners or play the villain by helping out bandits and robbing people. The choice is entirely yours.

3. Mini Games

What game is complete without a handful of enjoyable mini games? Red Dead Redemption has some great mini games that accompany the narrative. You can find the nearest salon and gamble away your heard earned gold or challenge other townies to a vast variety of mini games.

2. Quality

The look, feel and sound of Red Dead Redemption are very authentic. Rockstar Games have a reputation to uphold and they certainly try their best to maintain it. From what I've seen Red Dead Redemption is extremely polished. Red Dead Redemption is almost guaranteed to be a great success.

1. Epic Multiplayer

The number one reason why Red Dead Redemption could be the best sandbox game ever made is the new innovative use of the multiplayer and co-operative game-play system. The online lobby is the entire game world where up-to 16 people can roam freely (hence the name Free Roam). You can form a posse with up-to 8 players or just be a lone ranger – from here what you do is completely up to you; become vigilantes and help fight crime or play as a bandits and fight against the law. You can also fight other posses in gun blazing battles all across the open world of Red Dead Redemption.

So far, I am very convinced that Red Dead Redemption will be the best sandbox game ever made. It comes out for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on the 18th of May in America and on the 21st of May for the rest of the world. I suggest to

pre-order your copyto guarantee that you have your copy day one.

source: http://www.nextgn.com/2010/04/15/5-reasons-red-dead-redemption-could-be-the-best-sandbox-game-ever/

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
Very nice thread man. RDR will blow GTA IV out of the water in my eyes. GTA IV to me was only great because it was the first GTA to go next gen HD graphics. But a lot was lacking from it that people overlooked. GTA IV to me will always be the most overrated game. Dont get me wrong, it's a good sandbox game.. but it took out a lot of features and options that make it a GTA game. RDR looks amazing. What really impressed me the most is the authenticity. Hell, I dont like Western games or movies.. but this one has piqued my interest.
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
I still havent jump on board, I will have to wait for review before buying this game
Franchize-24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Franchize-24
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts

yup this game is going to be amazing

KlepticGrooves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 KlepticGrooves
Member since 2010 • 2448 Posts
Yep, great thread. I haven't been this hyped about a game since Fallout 3. Although I might give the multiplayer a miss, I've never been a fan of the idea of multiplayer in a Sandbox game.
NintendoGamer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 NintendoGamer3
Member since 2008 • 2848 Posts
Great thread. (: I cant wait to run around the world, just doing random things with my friends. It'll be countless hours of fun and laughter. I CANT WAIT.
tomrocks666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tomrocks666
Member since 2005 • 3569 Posts

im pretty much set on this game, if i could only have one more game for the rest of my life this would be it. i have it preordered and im counting down the days till release

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

I'm not a fan of Wild West games one bit, but I do love sandbox games to death. If it turns out to be the best, or even great, I'm sure I'll pick it up. Consider me interested. :)

jad206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jad206
Member since 2009 • 1821 Posts

Only way I see it really worth it is if it has Story mode co-op. If not, no buy.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I'll skip it, I would get pretty bored without cars,boats and planes etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5829d9bd191c4
deactivated-5829d9bd191c4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5829d9bd191c4
Member since 2007 • 1294 Posts

PERSONAL OPINION !!!

I "personally" hate games like this, so no, i dont think this will be the best sandbox game.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
It is really personal opinion I agree with hancekyle..but boy doesn't this game look amazing from what we've seen? I just hope it plays as good as it looks.
MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Or it just may fall flat right in the face, hope this game is worth it.

raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts

I'll skip it, I would get pretty bored without cars,boats and planes etc.

gameofthering
Exactly what I was thinking, something about horses instead of cars doesnt interest me
kerrman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kerrman
Member since 2003 • 2904 Posts

I honestly can't wait to just go hunting. It's going to be the best pass time in video game history. I can shoot a cougar or a bear in the face? Oh okay, YES PLEASE.

Everyone of your reasons is exactly why I'm buying this game, it looks fantastic!

NintendoGamer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NintendoGamer3
Member since 2008 • 2848 Posts
I agree with everyone saying that they dont like these types of games, and how hourses insted of cars is a turn-off. But Im still going to get it cause I love Sandbox games. Their endless fun. Even tho I dont really like Western shooters.
Sligs02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sligs02
Member since 2010 • 231 Posts

It looks pretty damn impressive so far. I have waited a long time for another action/adventure game where I was free to roam the wilderness. The last one I played was Oblivion. I realize it's an RPG, but I found the most enjoyable aspect of that game was being able to roam the wilderness and discover hidden dungeons, treasures, and quests. I realize there won't be dungeons in this, per se, but there will be hideouts, hidden treasures, and maybe even mine shafts to explore and clear out. I really hope they have some RPG elements incorporated into the game. I know there is a leveling system but they haven't gone into too much detail about it.

Crayzorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Crayzorder
Member since 2010 • 510 Posts

Loved Red Dead Revolver, can't wait for this game too. Even though I'll be waiting a month or two to get it after release.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

I've been impressed by everything I've heard so far, but that doesn't mean its going to be an awesome game. There's a million and one ways for a developer to ruin a game's potential. Its one thing coming up with great ideas, and another to actually deliver on the expectations.

I'll be waiting for reviews on this and wont get too excited just yet.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I have been waiting for a game like this for over fifteen years. If they nail the soundtrack, this is gonna be EPIC.

Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts
For me is already a GOTY. I can't see the future, but Rockstar knows how to do.
GamerLegend10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GamerLegend10
Member since 2010 • 3358 Posts

yep i agre but GTA San Andreas was better than GTA4, but RDR looks amazing

Avatar image for AlexTheGreat995
AlexTheGreat995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AlexTheGreat995
Member since 2008 • 34 Posts

i realllyyy can't wait for this if they get it right. if they mess it up, it'll be a really bad game, but if they nail it, its gon be EPIC. no pressure..

narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 narog84
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts

worst than a fanboy a pre-release fanboy xD

Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts

worst than a fanboy a pre-release fanboy xD

narog84
where? He's pointing why its gonna be good. If it sucks when released, i think everyone will say so. Now the hype exists, if you aren't excited about RDR, you don't like this kind of game or is trolling.
GamerLegend10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GamerLegend10
Member since 2010 • 3358 Posts

i hate when people say 'fan-boy', it pisses me off

i feel like killing anyone that uses it:evil:

RipaX21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 RipaX21
Member since 2005 • 1675 Posts

Getting it. Everything set in the Wild West is awesome. I don't need cars, boats and planes to have fun. Real men ride horses.

quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

The Old West setting is really enticing, and so far from what I've seen from videos the gameplay looks interesting and the environments are stunning. I'll still wait for the reviews on this one, but I'm more than likely going to pick this up soon after release.

n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
Sounds exciting, this is now going to buy a day 1 buy for me.
Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

your #5 will be the reason it doesnt sell very well, cant think of to many people who find the wild west interesting including myself, the only way i'll even rent it is if a couple of my friends pick it up, the multiplayer is really the only thing that even kinda has me interested. havent even really heard any hype for this game other than on these boards.