360 error "The disc is unreadable. Please clean with soft cloth"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

donwon06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 donwon06
Member since 2006 • 424 Posts
Does anyone else have this problem?  You'll be in the middle of playing a game and a tab pops up saying "This disc is unreadable, please clean with a soft cloth" and it kicks you to the dashboard.  I've sent my console in once for this, and they didn't fix it, sent it again and got a brand new consol and it did it again.  It's not the game cause it does it on different games that are brand new.  By the way this is my 4th console i've had in less than 2 years.  I have a rep from the service center assigned to my case and she tells me she doesnt' know what the deal is.  So does anyone else see this problem?
reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts
I've had that come up once, and i cleaned the disc right after. Never had the problem again. So i don't know why it keeps happening to you.
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11979 Posts
I've had that come up once, and i cleaned the disc right after. Never had the problem again. So i don't know why it keeps happening to you.reubendarosa
I had that happen once too, but I don't remember it saying, 'please clean with a soft cloth.'  It just said, 'disc is unreadble.'  If it's not the game, sorry but I don't know what to tell you.
MrMonkey100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MrMonkey100
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts
Happened to me with 2 rented games, and when I was about to clean it, it looked like someone had taken a knife to it. The second game had a gant scratch around it.
ArmoJan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 ArmoJan
Member since 2005 • 3169 Posts

I learned the 360 is very very very sensitive to smudges and scratches on the disks.  Once I was having problems getting a game to play so I looked closely at the disk.  It had one very light thumbprint on it.  I cleaned it off and it worked fine.

Avatar image for chaos_theory_09
chaos_theory_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chaos_theory_09
Member since 2005 • 1127 Posts
yeah, it's your xbox. You'll probably eventually get the three red lights. It's happened to millions, including me. The first bunch of xbox's spun discs too fast and didn't have enough 'pillows' or something on the laser, so they scratched the discs. I had to send my xbox in for repairs once I got the three red lights.
g-rash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 g-rash
Member since 2003 • 3128 Posts
I've had this happen on Oblivion a ton and about 1 in 5 times when I play R6: Vegas. Dead Rising did that a bunch too, I really think it's the games though since it didn't happen once with Shivering Isles and Ninja Gaiden Black.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 4321000
Member since 2004 • 1087 Posts
yeh happens almost all the time when i play oblivion
HoVDaHuSTLa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HoVDaHuSTLa1
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts
yup happened to me before the 3rings of death...read sig
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts
its your game the 360 some 360 drives are sensitive and wont read the disc if there is even the tiniest smudge or mark on the disc
HoVDaHuSTLa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HoVDaHuSTLa1
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts
i had my disked cleaned at game crazy and still has the same problem....everytime in GEOW "Shh you hear that?, It was just the wind.  Yeh, When does the wind say HOSTILE!!" BAAAAAAM Disk Read Errow, Please clean with soft clothe.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 4321000
Member since 2004 • 1087 Posts

so should i buy another oblivion gen007?

happens to other games like with graw 2 it just says: to play dvd insert into xbox 360 console" 

kjbinks212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kjbinks212
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Hey, Everyone that has has this problem and has had to send it in, How long did it take? I sent mine in over a month ago and thanks to a unorganized house I can't find the repair request to see where it is. I'm going to call soon to see if they can help me but from what I hear this isn't normal. HELP, PLEASE!
Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
I got it 4 times, twice CoD4, once on Rock Band and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. That was when I had my 360 vertical. Swapped to horizontal, and never happened again. When it did happen though, all I had to do was open and close the tray and it would work again.
sivasiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#15 sivasiva
Member since 2007 • 1101 Posts
This happened to my fifa 08 and burnout paradise...Just clean the disc properly....But after a while, my console got the RROD!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 105506
Member since 2004 • 5285 Posts
I only get it on Gears of War. It's the disk since it got all scratched due me letting my nieces borrow the disk so they could play freebie LOL.
devilwoman_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 devilwoman_ak
Member since 2007 • 59 Posts
It may not be your console. Mine does that on specific games. Take Madden 07 for example. I have played that so much the disc is cracked in 3 places at the head. I scotch tape the center as best I can but I still get that error message. I have had a few other games do that too...so it could be your disc and your player may be overheating. I set up a box fan about 6-8 feet away from my 360 and it keeps it cool..blowing indirectly in the area. When I have gotten that error message I would pull out the disc to clean it and the disc is pretty hot. I also bought a disc cleaner and a disc to clean inside the 360. Both seemed to help.
kramer0024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kramer0024
Member since 2008 • 179 Posts
the case managers only know what their managers/repair center tells them
kramer0024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kramer0024
Member since 2008 • 179 Posts
the case managers only know what their managers/repair center tells them
linklb4130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 linklb4130
Member since 2003 • 1737 Posts
that message only comes up for me when i play Grand Theft Auto 4. hopefully its just GTA4 and not my xbox failing.
fredhetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fredhetz
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I have had this same problem with any number of games over the years. I'm in the middle of a game and....BOOM.... I get the "disc is unreadable" message.

Microsoft was in such a rush to get the 360 to market that they didn't get it right and decided it would be better to mop up problems later. That might sound innocent enough but if you're buying one, you'd like to know that they're selling unfinished products.

When everything works, I enjoy playing the 360. But I'm so effin' sick of getting games interrupted because of this sort of problem.

sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 sunnystarz
Member since 2007 • 1536 Posts
this happens alot to different games... some of the games will never happen to it, or some will happen all the time, every version of Madden I played have always happen, also I think Madden give me the RROD
mad-aussie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mad-aussie
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts
Its nothing to do with the console so don't waste money buying a new one cause you are bound to get it again anyway, just clean and it should work we all get that problem it's the way the console is but you should be fine after that.
snellaiappan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 snellaiappan
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
i just has this msg pop up for the first time in disk 4 of lost odyssey. It said the exact same thing as your topic title lists. I have had my 360 over a year and a half now and this is the first time anything like this has happened. I hope its nothing serious, cause i love this system and the game it offers, i went ahead and bought a new copy of the game and it didnt do it again.
TranYeuOii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TranYeuOii
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I recently had this issue... we bought the xBox 360 S with the Kinect so it comes with a game for the Kinect. We tried it out a day after getting it, and it worked totally fine. Then I started playing L4D2, and then my sister wanted to play the Kinect, so I took it out and put in the Kinect [which I regret getting at that moment because it's too much of a hassle...] So I thought it was just the xBox doing it, because I kept putting in the two games but it doesn't work... and went to exchange it, and got the 250 GB instead. :D It's the same price, so it didn't matter to me. BUT after trying to put in L4D2, it turns out that it's the disk's issue... I'm going to try to clean it later, so I'll possibly come on here later to tell you how it turns out...
shinglemill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shinglemill
Member since 2009 • 346 Posts

i had this happen a few times. my xbox wont read any discs right now and i had to send it in. just go buy a new one.

Dreamer_oOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dreamer_oOo
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I'm having that problem now and I'm trying to find a way to fix it but I can't find anything. The problem is I took my game and got all of the scratches fixed and it still is saying that my disc is unreadable. It gives me options that I either need to clean the disc with a soft cloth or restart my xbox which I don't want to do.
Avatar image for 19elderscroll86
19elderscroll86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 19elderscroll86
Member since 2011 • 751 Posts

Its 2012, how does anyone not install still.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#29 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

yes if the disc is dirty it will do that also if its to scratched if you clean it and it still pops up that means the disc is not good any more also on dvds it will say attempting to read media!

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
It sounds to me like you are leaving your Xbox on for hours, reading the disc the whole time. The solution is simple, if that is the case. Turn it off, or at the very least, go into your setting and set it to go off after a little while of not being played. Either that, or get used to buying DVD drives for it. Because what you have is most likely a worn out DVD drive, plain and simple.
BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BostonDieNasty
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts
Does anyone else have this problem? You'll be in the middle of playing a game and a tab pops up saying "This disc is unreadable, please clean with a soft cloth" and it kicks you to the dashboard. I've sent my console in once for this, and they didn't fix it, sent it again and got a brand new consol and it did it again. It's not the game cause it does it on different games that are brand new. By the way this is my 4th console i've had in less than 2 years. I have a rep from the service center assigned to my case and she tells me she doesnt' know what the deal is. So does anyone else see this problem?donwon06
could be a scratch on it.. ive had a few games do this .. i just installed the games and it never happened again
Scyntheren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Scyntheren
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Happened to one of my original Xbox 360's, after putting in a brand new game. The DVD drive is worn out or the laser has malfunctioned. If the disc is clean, and it doesn't have any consistent pattern, then look into the DVD drive failing because that's likely the answer.
Avatar image for callsignneptune
callsignneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 callsignneptune
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts
I've had that message once, when I was playing Forza Horizon. I fully expected to have a disc read error and for it to happen again and again until it didn't read anything at all (as happened with my partners xbox) but luckily I've had no further problems. If it's happening constantly on multiple games I'd get it checked out, as it's probably your xbox failing and not a problem with the disc itself.