360 Controller Issues

This topic is locked from further discussion.

valdarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 valdarez
Member since 2003 • 2174 Posts
They did a good job designing the new 360 controllers.  They perfectly fit my hands and the wireless is just icing on the cake.  Unfortunately, for all of the design presence, the stupid things seem to be breaking in the most annoying ways.  I have two problems, each one with a different controller.  On one controller, the Y button no longer pushes itself back up properly.  It doesn't get stuck, so much as simply takes a second or two to get back up.  Makes it impossible to play any game that requires any type of rapid pressing of the button.  The other controller has a problem with randomly disconnecting.  The batteries are not low (they have been replaced for good measure), and the packs appear to be connected properly.  The sucker just disconnects.   I have never been 'hard' on controllers.  I still have the original joysticks for my Atari 2600 and the original controllers for my NES, and here I am 8 months into owning my 360 and both controllers I purchased are on the blink.

Has anyone else had problems with their controllers?
Avatar image for dragonslayerssj
dragonslayerssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dragonslayerssj
Member since 2003 • 1974 Posts
no ive never had a problem with my controller... for the one that sticks just open it up and see whats going on. maybe theres something sticky in there stopping it from working right. as for always disconnnecting i dont know... i would try to maybe take it back or call support and see what they can do. maybe they will send you a new one or something as long as you didnt do anything to it. worth a shot.
statquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 statquo
Member since 2004 • 666 Posts
i've had problems with my original xbox controllers, but not 360
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts
Yellow button does indeed sound like it just needs a good cleaning.
As for the disconnects, look around your 360 and see if anything could be interfering with the signal. Possibly move your system to another room for a short bit and see if it still happens.
ice702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ice702
Member since 2003 • 53 Posts
With the button sticking, which is exactly whats happening there, you have to take the controller apart (carefully) and check out the button for any foreign substance. I also had the problem with the controller just turning off. It turned out to be because I dropped it a few too many times, that the battery packs contacts were pushed down somewhat more then they should be and thus it kept losing power with just simple movements or jolts. Take a small pin or jewelers screwdriver and try to push the contacts up a little more. If that doesn't work consider buying a rechargeable battery pack and swapping the packs. If it doesn't fix the problem you could always take it back.
RiderGino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 RiderGino
Member since 2005 • 657 Posts
for the disconnecting controller it might be that the contacts aren't touching the batteries i have the same problem sometimes
valdarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 valdarez
Member since 2003 • 2174 Posts
I will go ahead and give a shot at taking the controller apart before I dump it and buy a new one. In regards to the signal, I never had a problem with the signal with the first controller (I have two, but I only ever use one at a time). This second one just randomly loses it's signal. Sometimes I have to jostle it a little to get it turn back on. I think it must have a short somewhere.
ddomanickk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ddomanickk
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I know it's a bit late, but I just wanted to say I had the exact problem with the reconnecting issue, and for me the problem was that the lil button on the top of the control used to reconnect to the console was jammed down. I had to open up the remote and fix the button from jamming down.