360 a flop or a success?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LuffyTubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LuffyTubby
Member since 2006 • 741 Posts

I don't wanna be a troll, but I want your perspective.

Was XBox a succes? It sold around 20-24 millions right? Is that good for a new console? And they did it entirely without getting anything from Japan.

360, do you think that it will manage to be a bigger success? Now that Wii has surpassed 360 overall in sales, is it possible that PS3 will also(years from now) be able to sell better than 360?

How much does 360 need to sell, to have been a success? Should the consumer care? Am I an idiot for wanting to play and like popular games? I have a Wii, but I dont enjoy it.

I dont know why, but I want the consoles I play to be the most popular? I dont know...

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 teebeenz
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts

Was XBox a succes? It sold around 20-24 millions right? Is that good for a new console? And they did it entirely without getting anything from Japan.

360, do you think that it will manage to be a bigger success? Now that Wii has surpassed 360 overall in sales, is it possible that PS3 will also(years from now) be able to sell better than 360?

How much does 360 need to sell, to have been a success? Should the consumer care? Am I an idiot for wanting to play and like popular games? I have a Wii, but I dont enjoy it.

I dont know why, but I want the consoles I play to be the most popular? I dont know...

LuffyTubby
You wont know how well it did till the next line of consoles is ready to ship.
konstantine2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 konstantine2
Member since 2006 • 134 Posts
I'd say the hardware is a HUGE flop but the software is a success
LuffyTubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LuffyTubby

I'd say the hardware is a HUGE flop but the software is a successkonstantine2

Yes, you are right. Didnt they said that the software ratio was 6:1 or something? Like that every 360 owner has 6 games at default!? Thats insane! The original Playstation was like 1 game per console(due to all the piracy, probably)!

I dont know.. it annoys me that I care so much about sales. I had a premium and liked it, but sold it because I was afraid it would flop. Im considering getting an elite, but im afraid that ps3 and blu-ray will kill 360 early, and that they will soon start work on the next xbox! It sucked that the first xbox died after such a little while! the xbox was like out in less than 4 years in europe before they released 360:(

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 teebeenz
but im afraid that ps3 and blu-ray will kill 360 earlyLuffyTubby
Most analysts still think PS3 will over take the 360, and I gotta say I dont think anyone would be surprised.
donnygorgas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 donnygorgas
Member since 2005 • 2531 Posts

First of all it's way too early to call any of the three consoles a flop and to a lesser degree a success. The success will be determined years from nowwith marketshare. Right now all three are performing pretty much how I expected. I am teh smartest!

The other thing I must comment on is you being worried about the console you own being the most popular. Who cares if it's popular or not as long as you enjoy playing it. Are you worried that somebody might not think your cool if you play a console that isn't the most popular?

Magna_Man109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Magna_Man109
Member since 2005 • 5527 Posts
I think its more of a flop. Too many damn problems with the hardware, only a few decent games out (Halo 3, Bioshock, ME, Gears WAS Good), and the XBLA is just terrible.
LuffyTubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LuffyTubby

[QUOTE="LuffyTubby"]but im afraid that ps3 and blu-ray will kill 360 earlyteebeenz
Most analysts still think PS3 will over take the 360, and I gotta say I dont think anyone would be surprised.

It annoys me that im thinking so much about it.

I mean after all, if I enjoy the games and the console what does it matter? I just hoped that the console I would play(Like 360) would last for 7-10 years... like ps2. want a long life cycle and have a big selection of games.

xbox had many good games, and halo was worth the console alone(IMO) but i was really sad when it just died after halo 2. when the hype and sales went down, everything stopped... they could have done so much more. but I understand where MS was coming from.

10 million in two years... thats not too bad for 360 overall? its better than dreamcast ever did, and SEGA had been in the business for almost 20 years at that point!

LuffyTubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LuffyTubby

First of all it's way too early to call any of the three consoles a flop and to a lesser degree a success. The success will be determined years from nowwith marketshare. Right now all three are performing pretty much how I expected. I am teh smartest!

The other thing I must comment on is you being worried about the console you own being the most popular. Who cares if it's popular or not as long as you enjoy playing it. Are you worried that somebody might not think your cool if you play a console that isn't the most popular?

donnygorgas

In a sense. I had friends who played computers and playstation, but I was the only guy on the block with an xbox. I think its also because that my country(Denmark... its in scandinavia, in northeren europe) is sony land. Seriously. Right now PS3 is outselling 360 6 to 1. At least in one store chain... it was because of a really good 500 bucksbundle with an extra controller and resistence and motorstorm. Anyway... my friends didnt want to play on my xbox. they didnt like the controller and stuff, and since I was better than them they didnt enjoyed getting their butts handed to me. and I really didnt either have any real life friends on XBL, and I felt that most people online in Halo 2 where complete jerks... funny... I felt lonely in a social online subscriber enviorment:/
YourLastDay86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 YourLastDay86
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
I think once you start asking yourself this question your turning playing video games into something it really shouldn't be, an investment (which lately it seems to be becoming with all the "extras"). If you're gonna sit around checking and comparing various companies stock prices and sales figures in an attempt to peer into the future to see if it is a flop or not, you're losing that key component in video games that surpasses all...having a good time.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ISuperGamerI
Member since 2006 • 3292 Posts

LuffyTubby

I DONT KNOW I DONT KNOW is all I am hearing from you.

What do you think?

Holden14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Holden14
Member since 2005 • 4286 Posts
The 360 was a massive success.
Cedric169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Cedric169
Member since 2005 • 2138 Posts
agreed the hardware is the problem
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ISuperGamerI
Member since 2006 • 3292 Posts

I think its more of a flop. Too many damn problems with the hardware, only a few decent games out (Halo 3, Bioshock, ME, Gears WAS Good), and the XBLA is just terrible. Magna_Man109

I really hope that you are sarcastic about the quote.

LuffyTubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LuffyTubby

I think once you start asking yourself this question your turning playing video games into something it really shouldn't be, an investment (which lately it seems to be becoming with all the "extras"). If you're gonna sit around checking and comparing various companies stock prices and sales figures in an attempt to peer into the future to see if it is a flop or not, you're losing that key component in video games that surpasses all...having a good time.YourLastDay86

mate dont you see. I wanna buy the console and keep playing and buying games for than console for 5-6 more years... I dont wanna upgrade to a new system, new controllers, new online service, new games, new ultra hd-tv-because-my-current-hd-tv-is-not-good-enough, backwards compatibility issues and so on... its just a hassle.

I wanna play a console with a long and good life. with good support and big community through the years. whats to say that MS will not just call it quits after halo 3 sales go down? sure.. maybe some banjo-threeie or too human orGTA4in 08, but what then? is it that then?

:(

Petshopboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Petshopboy
Member since 2003 • 1181 Posts

I think once you start asking yourself this question your turning playing video games into something it really shouldn't be, an investment (which lately it seems to be becoming with all the "extras"). If you're gonna sit around checking and comparing various companies stock prices and sales figures in an attempt to peer into the future to see if it is a flop or not, you're losing that key component in video games that surpasses all...having a good time.YourLastDay86

For sure. Just play whatever is fun. I played my PS2 a ton during the last generation, and I play my 360 more than anything right now because I like the games on it. It's all about what brings about the most enjoyment to you. The Wii is selling a ton everwhere, but I still haven't bought one because I'm not interested in as many of the games. It's not about sales, but what you find worth your time. Whether it be Xbox, Wii, or a PS3 (or even an n-gage...well maybe we shouldn't go too far).

LuffyTubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LuffyTubby

[QUOTE="Magna_Man109"]I think its more of a flop. Too many damn problems with the hardware, only a few decent games out (Halo 3, Bioshock, ME, Gears WAS Good), and the XBLA is just terrible. ISuperGamerI

why? i mean.. if we compare it to Wii? or DS? or PS2? is it even fair to compare them? different prices, selection of games, and the eras that they where released in all have a part in the sales...

but I dont understand it. some people say that 360 is actually doing worse in japan than the original xbox? some people say that 360 did not manage to meet their sales forecast!

in 2006 they said that by e3 07 they would have 10 million XBL users. then at e3 2007 they said that at e3 2008 they would have 10 million Live users. and that would not even be gold?!

I mean... you tell me, what success is!

xAngelxDustx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xAngelxDustx
Member since 2007 • 392 Posts
I think its more of a flop. Too many damn problems with the hardware, only a few decent games out (Halo 3, Bioshock, ME, Gears WAS Good), and the XBLA is just terrible. Magna_Man109
no, the 360 is not a flop
xAngelxDustx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xAngelxDustx
Member since 2007 • 392 Posts
[QUOTE="ISuperGamerI"]

[QUOTE="Magna_Man109"]I think its more of a flop. Too many damn problems with the hardware, only a few decent games out (Halo 3, Bioshock, ME, Gears WAS Good), and the XBLA is just terrible. LuffyTubby

why? i mean.. if we compare it to Wii? or DS? or PS2? is it even fair to compare them? different prices, selection of games, and the eras that they where released in all have a part in the sales...

but I dont understand it. some people say that 360 is actually doing worse in japan than the original xbox? some people say that 360 did not manage to meet their sales forecast!

in 2006 they said that by e3 07 they would have 10 million XBL users. then at e3 2007 they said that at e3 2008 they would have 10 million Live users. and that would not even be gold?!

I mean... you tell me, what success is!

you make everything seem more complicated than it actually is...just chill out

teebeenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 teebeenz
The Wii is on a different paradigm altoghether, it can not be compared to the PS3 or 360. Its recycled hardware, its aimed at a different audience, its also sold for a profit. Nothing about the wii can be compared, but itll become a little more clear once the usual 18month fenzy for nintendo hardware is over.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

[QUOTE="konstantine2"]I'd say the hardware is a HUGE flop but the software is a successLuffyTubby

Yes, you are right. Didnt they said that the software ratio was 6:1 or something? Like that every 360 owner has 6 games at default!? Thats insane! The original Playstation was like 1 game per console(due to all the piracy, probably)!

I dont know.. it annoys me that I care so much about sales. I had a premium and liked it, but sold it because I was afraid it would flop. Im considering getting an elite, but im afraid that ps3 and blu-ray will kill 360 early, and that they will soon start work on the next xbox! It sucked that the first xbox died after such a little while! the xbox was like out in less than 4 years in europe before they released 360:(

No offense but some of you guys act like there is a war between game systems. 360 is out right now with a lot of great games for everyone. The ps3 is out now waiting on some great games. The wii isn't important :P no i'm just playing, but the 360 is not gonna stop selling because the ps3 is gonna sell more in the future.

LuffyTubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LuffyTubby

I dont know... I just cant deal with this no more.

Why cant some things last forever?

Magna_Man109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Magna_Man109
Member since 2005 • 5527 Posts

[QUOTE="Magna_Man109"]I think its more of a flop. Too many damn problems with the hardware, only a few decent games out (Halo 3, Bioshock, ME, Gears WAS Good), and the XBLA is just terrible. ISuperGamerI

No sarcasm at all buddy....

360 has just been boring lately. Maybe its just video games in general that are boring. I mean the only game that I will play now on my 360 is probably Halo 3 and NBA 2k8...

snoisius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 snoisius
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts
I never had any trouble with my 360's hardware. So i think the 360 is the best console available. Dont like PS (diddnt like PS2 neither) and Wii, lol, thats the flop! I dont care about sales as long as they still produce good games for 360.
loky3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 loky3000
Member since 2004 • 256 Posts

It could be the best if it didn't have all the technical issue's, sadly it does.

The PS3 could be on top with Wii if Sony actually lowered the price, and greased up some developers to start making games worth buying. There's currently not a single game that would make me buy the PS3.

Riavian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Riavian
Member since 2003 • 119 Posts

The price of these next gen consoles make it an investment, whatever way you look at it.

SleekElite360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SleekElite360
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The 360 was a huge success and will continue to be a success. R u kidding me? The format of Xbox Live was much better than I and probably everyone expected. Microsoft has invested too much time and money and I think the early launch catapulted the 360 to the top rank forever. Expect to see more of Microsoft trying to monopolize and sign deals with whatever they can get their hands on. There is always room for improvement but that goes with anything. Success at near it's best!? I think...
Livewirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Livewirez
Member since 2006 • 597 Posts

Well if people are still buying 360's despite it having the highest hardware failure rates, then it's a success. It's sales have only slowed down a bit because there wasn't any games out this summer except bioshock but from september onwards I can see them rocketing. I also highly doubt that the xbox 360 reign will end after 2008, there's probably loads of games out there still unanounced yet, so don't worry. Just because the ps3 has some games announced for next year doesn't mean that the 360 wont. I'm sure there's some stragedy being thought up for 2008 and beyond to keep the 360's momentum going after this year's lineup, MS arn't going to go full blast this year only to hope for the best for next year with their fingers crossed.

coolcole1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 coolcole1
Member since 2007 • 307 Posts

I think this should be in system wars but,

If u compare it to like the dreamcast it is a success. But u will always be compared to the big dog of the generation. Right now the wiiis selling but u never know. As aperson who owns all three systems i would say i see the least promise from the 360.Not because i think it is no good i love it but i am sure in the future say two years from now. U will see why sony went with the 50 gig storage of blu-ray and the limits of the dvd-9. But u will see crazy innovative games for the wii just crappy graphics.

GalesOfOctober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GalesOfOctober
Member since 2004 • 217 Posts
Screw Japan. The 360 is a success and will be more of one if they continue these great exclusive titles that they are coming out with. You don't NEED japan to be successful because most of the crud Japan is into is full of fail and aids.
coolcole1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 coolcole1
Member since 2007 • 307 Posts

every weekend is like christmas in japan they buy as many games as we do and have a much smaller population. And they do need japan. Why do u think the wii has sold so much because it is here no because they have both sides. If microsoft could do that there would be no question of catching them.

cody412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cody412
Member since 2006 • 142 Posts
well i hope this helps the hardware will get better because with the new heat sink you dont get the rrod and the new 65nm chips comeing this fall and all the great games makes this the must have for this year next year and all years of this gen
GalesOfOctober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GalesOfOctober

every weekend is like christmas in japan they buy as many games as we do and have a much smaller population. And they do need japan. Why do u think the wii has sold so much because it is here no because they have both sides. If microsoft could do that there would be no question of catching them.

coolcole1

The Wii is a joke and IMO a slap in the face of real gamers everywhere. And don't get me started on those Japs.

cwagmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cwagmire
Member since 2003 • 3398 Posts

Beat me to it.

GalesOfOctober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GalesOfOctober

well i hope this helps the hardware will get better because with the new heat sink you dont get the rrod and the new 65nm chips comeing this fall and all the great games makes this the must have for this year next year and all years of this gencody412

When do you think that is going to come out? Because I'll be the first to buy that.

PandaSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PandaSlayer
Member since 2007 • 266 Posts
a success, are u kiddin? the 360 is just getting started, halo 3 in about a month, xbl has millions of people on it, the online is amazing, the hardware isnt neccesarily reliable, but hey, 3 year warranty.