20gb to 60gb hard drive transfer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lilfrightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lilfrightmare
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts

Now that the 60gb pros are available Im thinking of swapping mine over to free up some space, if I get a trasnfer cable I assume it will work the same as transferring to a 120gb hard drive?

But more importantly does the "you have to be online to play live downloads" rule still apply, this is what xboxs site says:

"Please keep in mind that licenses for downloaded content like Xbox LIVE Arcade games and TV shows from Video Marketplace are tied to your console not your hard drive. The hard drive transfer kit will move all data from your 20GB hard drive to your Xbox 360 Elite System's 120 GB hard drive, but due to data security provisions it cannot move the licenses associated with some content. This means that while all of your Xbox LIVE Arcade games and Xbox LIVE Marketplace TV shows will transfer, you will have to be connected to Xbox LIVE (to verify your identity) in order to access that content. This process is permanent-do not transfer your data if you wish to access it while offline. "

However I had heard that this problem had been fixed, can any one else give me confirmation of this?

Jaforbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jaforbe
Member since 2008 • 817 Posts
I really want to know this as well. Last I heard it hadnt been fixed tho. I really want to get a bigger hd. Im so sick of having to worry about how much memory I have left.
sophospeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 sophospeare
Member since 2003 • 443 Posts

However I had heard that this problem had been fixed, can any one else give me confirmation of this?lilfrightmare

Yes, the problem with DRM licenses has been fixed, you can migrate all of your licenses from on xbox to another if you need or want to. Here's the link to the MS page on it. As far as the transfer kit, I'm not sure if the existing one works for the 60 GB HDs, I'm still trying to find that out myself.

lilfrightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lilfrightmare
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts

Thats awesome! now I just need to find out if the cable will work with a 60gb

Englandfc1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Englandfc1966
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts
Will it transfer your gametag
thanos92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thanos92
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Ok, I bought the 60gb Pro and borrowed the transfer kit from a friend.

Does the cable work with the 60gb? My experience over 2 hours last night says "NO".

I even spent about an hour on the phone with my new bestest friend at 1-800-4MYXBOX, LOL. The guy was clueless and even spent 20 mins talking with other support techs and supervisors.

I posted this same question over at IGN and another user said the same thing....he ended up using a 512mb memory unit to move all his stuff.

I wonder if a USB card reader would do the trick since I have a 4gb SD card and 3-4 transfers beats 16-20. Does anyone know the answer on the USB reader and the 360?

fporto_br

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fporto_br
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Well, while browsing Microsoft's online tech support, I stumbled on this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937279/en-us

Check this out:

Transfer content from your existing Xbox 360 Hard DriveloadTOCNode(2, 'moreinformation'); Important Content can only ever be moved from a smaller source drive to a destination drive that is the same size or larger and only one time. For example, the following hard drive pairings allow transfer from source to (">") destination:20GB > 20GB
20GB > 60GB
20GB > 120GB
60GB > 60GB
60GB > 120GB
120GB > 120GB

So, according to M$, it's possible to transfer from a 20GB unit to a 60GB unit...

fporto_br

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fporto_br
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Check this out:

Transfer content from your existing Xbox 360 Hard DriveloadTOCNode(2, 'moreinformation'); Important Content can only ever be moved from a smaller source drive to a destination drive that is the same size or larger and only one time. For example, the following hard drive pairings allow transfer from source to (">") destination:20GB > 20GB
20GB > 60GB
20GB > 120GB
60GB > 60GB
60GB > 120GB
120GB > 120GB

So, according to M$, it's possible to transfer from a 20GB unit to a 60GB unit...

fporto_br

Well... turns out I'm wrong...

Just got a 60GB 360 and borrowed the transfer cable and software from a friend. And... it didn't work at all. This resource page at M$ is completely innacurate. The transfer kit works only with a 120GB HDD unit. It wasn't able to recognize the 60GB unit and I couldn't move my stuff from one to another.

soviet_rang3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 soviet_rang3r
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="fporto_br"]

Check this out:

20GB > 60GB
20GB > 120GB
60GB > 60GB
60GB > 120GB
120GB > 120GB

fporto_br

Well... turns out I'm wrong...

Just got a 60GB 360 and borrowed the transfer cable and software from a friend. And... it didn't work at all. This resource page at M$ is completely innacurate. The transfer kit works only with a 120GB HDD unit. It wasn't able to recognize the 60GB unit and I couldn't move my stuff from one to another.

The cable can only be used once and then it is useless this is so we dont all start swapping game purchses 

do if you borrowed the cable then i take it your friend had already used it and that is why it is not working 

BlackBean00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlackBean00
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
So whats the bottom line? Cuz I wanna move my stuff from my 20gb hard drive to either a 60gb or 120 gb, cuz I wanna save more full games.
shmevans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shmevans
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I got a 120 GB hd for my son and a 60 GB hd for myself. The transfer cable that came with the 120GB worked like a charm for transferring the data from my son's 20GB drive. It was not the same for my 60GB. It did not appear to recognize the drive at all; the transfer screen would never come up. I finally got around it by unplugging my son's 120GB from his 360 and attaching it to the 20GB on my 360 with the transfer cable to make sure that the cable was still working, which it was (I saw where someone said the cable can be used only once). I canceled the transfer process and unplugged the 120GB replacing it with my 60GB. I started the transfer process again and it worked. It appears I tricked the console into thinking the 60 was a 120 (since 120GB was still indicated on the transfer screen) and it transferred the data. It kinda sucks that you need to go through this to make it work. People may not have access to a 120GB hd to try this procedure. If there is another way to do it I am all ears.
shmevans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shmevans
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Spoke too soon...transfer appeared to be going well. After it was completed I attached the new hd to the xbox360 and no profiles were found. I put the 20gb back on the system and no profiles were found. I am in the process of retrieving my gamertag and, basically, starting from scratch. Sucks!!!!
rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rob1101
Member since 2004 • 3435 Posts
wow this bull**** it really takes this much work to just transfer your profiles and games? so much for argument that DRM doesn't hurt the legitimate consumer.
z3dd1cu5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 z3dd1cu5
Member since 2007 • 976 Posts
As was previously stated, a transfer kit can only be used once. Do the 60GB HDDs not come with a transfer kit? If not I'm sure you can contact Microsoft and get them to send you one if you can prove that you purchased a new 60GB HDD.
auanonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 auanonymous
Member since 2005 • 488 Posts
As was previously stated, a transfer kit can only be used once. Do the 60GB HDDs not come with a transfer kit? If not I'm sure you can contact Microsoft and get them to send you one if you can prove that you purchased a new 60GB HDD.z3dd1cu5
I don't think that is true, multiple uses must be possible or this thread would not be thriving: Pay it forward - XBOX360 HDD Transfer Cable