1up.com's review of Too Human

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Darkzero6x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Darkzero6x2
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3169393&p=4 Too Human is not a good role-playing game. The five available character classes (Berserker, Defender, Champion, Commando, and Bioengineer) initially offer some strategic gameplay differences because of their proficiency in certain skills -- the Berserker is better with melee weapons, while the Bioengineer has regenerative health. But beyond the first level, these differences become less substantial. Methods for defeating enemies are largely the same for all classes because almost every single enemy attacks with the same rushing-horde mentality. It also doesn't help that the skill tree is limited and doesn't offer much in the way of variety for combat or abilities. A few skills here and there are specifically tailored for a particular class, but these mostly function as buffs or bonuses for pre-existing passive abilities. The more interesting skills -- namely, those that determine whether your robotic spider helper is geared more defense- or offense -- act similarly regardless of class. There's something to be said for the fact that it's possible to respec the skill tree (allowing you to regain and redistribute points for a price) and explore other branches, but you never feel compelled to do so -- the other skills just aren't that alluring. But the most disappointing thing, by far, is the loot factor. The game offers no shortage of weapons and armor -- which is good -- but the fact that you're always finding better equipment makes even crafted blueprint items seem ordinary. Nothing's worse than saving money and leveling up to craft a powerful weapon or sturdy armor only to go back into the inventory and see that you already have new blueprints for an even more powerful weapon or even stronger armor. Additionally, the whole process of sorting, equipping, and selling items feels tedious thanks in part to an inelegant inventory system. Even something as simple as managing Charms (items that unlock more buffs) is a major hassle and surprisingly confusing if you don't pay close attention. On top of all of this, Too Human is also not a good action game. While it deserves some applause for a reasonable translation of PC classic Diablo's mouse-driven controls, its reliance on the right analog stick as a means for attack only works at the most basic level. Attempting fancy aerial attacks exposes just how inadequate and unresponsive this control method is -- you repeatedly swing at nothing but air in midjump. Long-range attacks aren't any better; it's often a struggle to get the camera into an optimal tactical position and to manually select targets. And it's especially irritating when -- even after letting go of the trigger and pressing it back down to lock onto a new target -- guns continue to lock onto an enemy that's already dead. Interestingly, multiplayer action fares a little better, as long as one player focuses on guns and the other on melee weapons. In fact, Too Human's cooperative mode as a whole is far more entertaining than the single-player experience -- not only does it involve a tiny bit more strategy when two players are going at it, but it also has the additional benefit of not having the horribly animated cut-scenes or rudimentary plot of the single-player experience. At the very least, the cyber-Norse concept of Too Human is a good one that's worth exploring further, just not in this context. The game is simply schizophrenic; it attempts to be all things to all people and never succeeds in executing any of them well. The end result is in dire need of polish and focus, and that doesn't solely apply to gameplay mechanics. There's absolutely no reason why a game released in 2008 should have a bug where characters can fall through solid ground and into some pseudoabyss. Final Grade : C- discuss
Avatar image for torontomapleafs
torontomapleafs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 torontomapleafs
Member since 2006 • 2019 Posts
Good got better than what it deserved. The demo was just terrible i can't believe anyone likes it.
BigGhost_AJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 BigGhost_AJT
Member since 2004 • 928 Posts

Totally didn't know that 'inelegant" was a word.

Regardless thank you for this. Pretty much confirms what I suspected based on the demo. It is disappointing though because I've been looking forward to this game for at least two years since I read about it in the Official XBox Magazine. So many things sounded promising from the story to the combat to the loot. And it appears NONE of those elments panned out. A little too ambitious maybe?

InjuredNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 InjuredNoodle
Member since 2006 • 1077 Posts

Wow it took them 1o years for this? I can't believe it! Talk about job security!

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts

Good got better than what it deserved. The demo was just terrible i can't believe anyone likes it. torontomapleafs

well most are to hyped to see any flaws that the game seems to have.

Civfan333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Civfan333
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts
wait.......inelegant's a real word? besides, I've long believed that 1up's reviews aren't accurate and shouldn't be believed.....
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TX360

Totally didn't know that 'inelegant" was a word.

Regardless thank you for this. Pretty much confirms what I suspected based on the demo. It is disappointing though because I've been looking forward to this game for at least two years since I read about it in the Official XBox Magazine. So many things sounded promising from the story to the combat to the loot. And it appears NONE of those elments panned out. A little too ambitious maybe?

BigGhost_AJT

i played the demo and just could not see what all the fuss was about i thought it was ok but no where near the hype surrounding it.

ardie4352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 ardie4352
Member since 2005 • 195 Posts
Honestly, I don't like to trust 1ups reviews. I'll wait for a gamespot or ign review first. But, if this is any hint, all those years in development surely didn't pay off.
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TX360

wait.......inelegant's a real word? besides, I've long believed that 1up's reviews aren't accurate and shouldn't be believed.....Civfan333

like i said many people are too hyped to see any flaws so they say the site has innacurate reviews and i guess it keeps these few happy.

Digitz115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Digitz115
Member since 2006 • 111 Posts

Wow it took them 1o years for this? I can't believe it! Talk about job security!

InjuredNoodle
yeah dude, games that take that long to release always reach the epic fail
Civfan333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Civfan333
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts
I guess not.............a few reviewers who are (usually) right are listed from most to least reliable (all are still pretty reliable): Metacritic, IGN, Game Informer, Gamespot
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TX360

Honestly, I don't like to trust 1ups reviews. I'll wait for a gamespot or ign review first. But, if this is any hint, all those years in development surely didn't pay off.ardie4352

well yeh it does hint at it but if GS and IGN give negative reviews then you know what to do.

InjuredNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 InjuredNoodle
Member since 2006 • 1077 Posts
[QUOTE="InjuredNoodle"]

Digitz115

Well other companies should learn from this then! LOLOLOLOL!!

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TX360
Seriously 10 years WOW!
ardie4352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 ardie4352
Member since 2005 • 195 Posts

[QUOTE="ardie4352"]Honestly, I don't like to trust 1ups reviews. I'll wait for a gamespot or ign review first. But, if this is any hint, all those years in development surely didn't pay off.TX360

well yeh it does hint at it but if GS and IGN give negative reviews then you know what to do.

Not much I can do at that point. :( I was excited about this game when I saw it at E3 07. But then I played the demo, which was mediocre at best. C'mon developers, what are ya doing???!!!

grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts

is that the whole review?

and inelegant, I thought it was unelegant? oh well. otherwise than that, I always saw too human as a love it or hate it game. the moment I played the demo I knew some people were going to hate it and some would love it. I personally found the game to be mediocre, some good things, some bad things, but nothing I would pay for. to those who believe that people who love it are blinded by the hype, what would you say if a game you were hyped for flopped?

t8trg8tr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 t8trg8tr
Member since 2008 • 770 Posts

wait.......inelegant's a real word? besides, I've long believed that 1up's reviews aren't accurate and shouldn't be believed.....Civfan333

If you have played the demo you would believe it :).

Digitz115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Digitz115
[QUOTE="Digitz115"][QUOTE="InjuredNoodle"]

InjuredNoodle

Well other companies should learn from this then! LOLOLOLOL!!

hell no, sega's got an archive they like to pull out the box every once in a while, and they all absolutely suck
IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
Well 10 years= was how long the idea existed 8 years in off and on developement not till 6 years did it go into full developement overall they really only spent 3 years on the game and I didn't mind the demo I liked it somewhat but with all the games coming up uhhh not worth it. THough they said you can port your character so Im gonna wait till after Christmas and buy used for like 30$ or so
Digitz115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Digitz115

[QUOTE="Civfan333"]wait.......inelegant's a real word? besides, I've long believed that 1up's reviews aren't accurate and shouldn't be believed.....t8trg8tr

If you have played the demo you would believe it :).

You can tell how well a game works out just watching the previewed gameplays, I can tell you this much, Fallout 3 looks like they're keeping it real switching an overhead rpg to fps
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Meh, opinions differ. I loved the demo, so I'm guessing I'll love the game.
BigGhost_AJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BigGhost_AJT

Honestly, I don't like to trust 1ups reviews. I'll wait for a gamespot or ign review first. But, if this is any hint, all those years in development surely didn't pay off.ardie4352

I take every review with a grain of salt knowing that the reviewer's individual bias plays a significant role in their final score. Say me for example you wouldn't want to come to me for a Gran Turismo review because despite how good it may be, I can't stand how technical it is. I much prefer to pick up and play dynamic of Burnout so my reviews would be colored by my opinions. That having been said I think certain sites are totally on the take...ahem.

Digitz115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Digitz115

[QUOTE="ardie4352"]Honestly, I don't like to trust 1ups reviews. I'll wait for a gamespot or ign review first. But, if this is any hint, all those years in development surely didn't pay off.BigGhost_AJT

I take every review with a grain of salt knowing that the reviewer's individual bias plays a significant role in their final score. Say me for example you wouldn't want to come to me for a Gran Turismo review because despite how good it may be, I can't stand how technical it is. I much prefer to pick up and play dynamic of Burnout so my reviews would be colored by my opinions. That having been said I think certain sites are totally on the take...ahem.

Yeah you gotta watch out for that technicality, they review a game just by how a guy runs now... if it looks real it's a 9! You can jack a car with the gun in hand it gets a 10. Fable 2 can get a 10 ONLY IF the grass falls when you step on it.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#24 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts

what would you say if a game you were hyped for flopped?

grafkhun

that would suck! if Fable 2 sucks... GRR!!!

Darkzero6x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darkzero6x2
personally i take every review just about serious. 1ups review was spot on when you look at how you analyze the demo. i mean they said the biggest problem was the targeting and that was a huge problem to me in just the demo. it turned out to be a huge problem in the full game. i dont know but if thats i dont want any part of a game who keeps the same bugs and flaws found in the demo to be in the 100% full game.
DivinitySkate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 DivinitySkate
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts
10 years for that!? Look at games that took only 2 years of development gears 2 and resistance 2. Jesus those guys musta slacked off those 10 years.
Duel_King_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Duel_King_X
Member since 2006 • 320 Posts

Good got better than what it deserved. The demo was just terrible i can't believe anyone likes it. torontomapleafs

dude you don't know what ur saying. The game is going to b awesome despite all of the (coughcoughBIASEDcoughcough) reviews and the leafs are totally going to win the cup this season

Darkzero6x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Darkzero6x2

[QUOTE="torontomapleafs"]Good got better than what it deserved. The demo was just terrible i can't believe anyone likes it. Duel_King_X

dude you don't know what ur saying. The game is going to b awesome despite all of the (coughcoughBIASEDcoughcough) reviews and the leafs are totally going to win the cup this season

whats so biased about people not liking a game thats not so well executed? yeah thats what i thought.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
Big deal, there are much bigger games to worry about.
grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
[QUOTE="grafkhun"]

what would you say if a game you were hyped for flopped?

orb_03_2006

that would suck! if Fable 2 sucks... GRR!!!

well don't get your hopes up to much, because you never know.

BigGhost_AJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BigGhost_AJT
[QUOTE="BigGhost_AJT"]

[QUOTE="ardie4352"]Honestly, I don't like to trust 1ups reviews. I'll wait for a gamespot or ign review first. But, if this is any hint, all those years in development surely didn't pay off.Digitz115

Yeah you gotta watch out for that technicality, they review a game just by how a guy runs now... if it looks real it's a 9! You can jack a car with the gun in hand it gets a 10. Fable 2 can get a 10 ONLY IF the grass falls when you step on it.

I assume you're referring to GTA IV garnering a 10 here on gamespot. I agree. I don't understand how that happened...well I do but dare I say? No doubt the game is awesome but to put it in the company of other pillars of gaming history?? Not sure.

fifty56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fifty56
Member since 2004 • 217 Posts

demo was a big dissapointment I was really looking foward to this game :(