Neither IGN or Gamespot show any loving spotlight for this game? Whats the deal?

chadquilter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chadquilter
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I understand that the X Univers is not exactly a huge market, but on the other hand I never met a space sim lover who hasent either (even if they hated X series) played at some point.

I mean, honest to god space sims where slim pickens for a decade, you had only two choice's pretty much: EVE ONLINE or One of the X series games.

There where a few point and click freelancer types and some crappy console star wars games. I dont understand why it has been unreported on by either of these sites.

This is the first wave of some pretty anticipated space sim games comming up for people who enjoyed them in the bygone days (which I think would be quite a few people).

Hermes33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Hermes33
Member since 2007 • 324 Posts

I agree matey, some good space sims coming up! Unbelievable to think that Elite: Dangerous is looming in March next year.

I don't know about IGN, it's never interested me, but as for Gamespot it's not really surprising the coverage here is low since they've been console-focused in recent years; not much love for PC-only games here, not just the space sims. It used to be good. More PC friendly back in the days when people like Greg Kasavin and Jeff Gerstmann were around. Now with this new bunch of fckuers... well, Gamespot is pretty much dead and irrelevant for unbiased news today. It's more of a sales & marketing platform for publishers than anything else.

I get my PC gaming news from Rock, Paper, Shotgun now. Loads of Elite and X Rebirth articles there. Cheers!

encotopic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 encotopic
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Gamespot changed after the Jeff Gerstmann accident. Money talks - Gerstmann walks. Thanks for the tip Hermes33. Will check other sites. X Series deserves free coverage. But gamepost is not about coverage anymore. Just about money.

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts

@encotopic: It's difficult to cover something when there is nothing to cover. I approached the PR agency handling this game several times because I wanted to provide coverage; they were unable to even provide advance review code, so I will have to download the game when everyone else does.

You will have to approach the developer and publisher if you have any problems with the lack of coverage.

As for the console focus mentioned above, you realize that we review more PC exclusive games than any other system exclusive, as well as more PC games in total than other platforms, right?

spikepigeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By spikepigeo
Member since 2004 • 597 Posts

@Kevin-V It definitely seems like they have kept most of the game under wraps, so hopefully it turns out to be much more than that arcade shoot-em-up demo they showed at GDC. On the topic of GS's space-sim coverage, however: you guys don't cover Star Citizen (aside from the occasional milestone funding report by Eddie) or even EVE much either. Joystiq has constant features and articles about those games. Have you guys ever considered something along those lines? I think the more attention you can get on games like these the better.

The age of the Space-Sim is returning. I can feel it!

Lord_Asmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Lord_Asmodeus
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

@Kevin-V said:

@encotopic: It's difficult to cover something when there is nothing to cover. I approached the PR agency handling this game several times because I wanted to provide coverage; they were unable to even provide advance review code, so I will have to download the game when everyone else does.

You will have to approach the developer and publisher if you have any problems with the lack of coverage.

As for the console focus mentioned above, you realize that we review more PC exclusive games than any other system exclusive, as well as more PC games in total than other platforms, right?

@Kevin-V Thanks for the reply on that - Sad to hear them handle PR so badly - the game looks amazing. I think people get that "console focus" attitude mainly because there's multiple (systems) of them out there, plus you have all the new hardware releases, discussions, peripherals, etc. It's not like you are going to talk about the new hardware for PCs beyond maybe a news blog :P

While you're here, is there anyway your team will ever bring back the paid memberships? It's really devastating as a ~10 year paid member to be forced out of the program and have the site I love littered with ads. Obviously you did focus group testing showing that either people wouldn't mind that much or that you would bring in much more revenue to kill the program - It's just really disheartening to see the site I love go that route.

If it makes any difference, please let your team know that we are still out here... most of us silent and just want to read professional reviews, previews, and news blogs on a professional and clean site. I'd pay quite a bit for that...

Thanks for your time and you do an amazing job!

Shiftfallout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Shiftfallout
Member since 2006 • 2635 Posts

You might not want them to give attention or review this game yet. Its such a bloody mess than negative reviews, and there will be many, will hurt the game. Let us users give the craptastic reviews on these games, let ego soft patch it up to playability, then maybe it can get a review that wont doom it.

Henoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Henoch
Member since 2004 • 342 Posts

@Shiftfallout: I'm not sure yet but the whole core might be broken, I need to play some more to see.

spikepigeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 spikepigeo
Member since 2004 • 597 Posts

Yeah, I take that back, Kevin. Forget this game exists for a while. It's an embarrassment in its current state.

Martin_Hansen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Martin_Hansen
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

The game is absolutely vile.

Do not go near it unless wearing a hazmat suit.

TheOnlyConan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheOnlyConan
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Game Front just did something of a review (there is so many bugs, reviewers are having problems even playing it enough to be able to do the actual review).

But they were really spot on with their opinions. It was a very good review of the problems X Rebirth is having.

http://www.gamefront.com/x-rebirth-bugs-in-spaaaaaace/

Hermes33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Hermes33
Member since 2007 • 324 Posts

@Kevin-V said:

Thanks for the reply! Actually I take back what I said, I always liked you and respected your opinions. For whatever reasons, the fact is that your PC gaming coverage has been dropping off in recent years so we are forced to go elsewhere for that, publisher caused or otherwise. It's the old chicken and the egg... is there less PC news on Gamespot than there used to be because the games publishers have been more console focused... is it the fault of the general gaming public for buying into the consoles... or perhaps, is it the fault of marketers and PR firms, who will happily lie, make up fake statistics and tell us that a particular console is more popular regardless of the truth, but now... :) I thought your PC review of StarCraft II:Wings of Liberty was perfect and great! Not too many PC-only video reviews anymore though, is there? I mean, where was your video review of Rome II? You see my point I hope. Take care! :)

Avatar image for onewheeldoin200
onewheeldoin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 onewheeldoin200
Member since 2004 • 214 Posts

Well, IGN already had a look at it, and they are none too happy:

http://www.ign.com/blogs/wufflesworgen/2013/11/18/why-cant-we-lemon-law-video-games

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@Kevin-V said:

Some companies just suck at promoting their products.