Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

WWE has told all of their announcers to call wrestlers "entertainers" now and to try to avoid calling them wrestlers or even superstars. The reason for this is because WWE wants to try and become classified as an entertainmenttouring company and not a a legitimate sporting event. WWE wants to try and avoid falling under the jurisdiction of many state Athletic Commissions and wants to get out of having to pay taxes for their touring events.

Credit: PWInsider.com

[UPDATE]

Vince McMahon has also now apparently banned the term "sports entertainment" and told all WWE announcers to simply refer to WWE as "entertainment."

Credit: WrestlingObserver.com

---------------------------------------

Personally, I cannot even remember the last time the WWE used the word "wrestler"?

TheGm86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheGm86
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

No way in hell em I going to call Snitsky a entertainer.

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 The_Dude14
Member since 2004 • 17165 Posts

WWE has told all of their announcers to call wrestlers "entertainers" now and to try to avoid calling them wrestlers or even superstars. The reason for this is because WWE wants to try and become classified as an entertainmenttouring company and not a a legitimate sporting event. WWE wants to try and avoid falling under the jurisdiction of many state Athletic Commissions and wants to get out of having to pay taxes for their touring events.

Credit: PWInsider.com

--------------------------------

Personally, I cannot even remember the last time the WWE used the word "wrestler"?

Link256
The Joey Styles heel turn in 2006 and the two WWECW PPVs?
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Link256

No way in hell em I going to call Snitsky a entertainer.TheGm86
Not as if he is a "superstar," either.

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Dude14

[QUOTE="TheGm86"]No way in hell em I going to call Snitsky a entertainer.Link256

Not as if he is a "superstar," either.

Wrestler is a stretch, too.
Dark_Hylian8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dark_Hylian8
Member since 2005 • 6711 Posts
Well I guess some people have to start being entertaining...
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Link256
The Joey Styles heel turn in 2006 and the two WWECW PPVs?The_Dude14
You mean three, right? One Night Stand 2005 and 2006. And D2D. So, three. Unless I am missing something beyond that? Or does D2D not count or something?
Jackov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jackov
Member since 2003 • 7573 Posts
Who's up for a union name change? It'll be titled "World Entertainment Everything". :P
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Link256

At this rate, I would not be surprised if, one of these days, the WWE just took the "wrestling" out of there all together, and thus, change the name of the company (yet again, that is). I can see it now:

World

Entertainment

Federation

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Dude14
[QUOTE="The_Dude14"]The Joey Styles heel turn in 2006 and the two WWECW PPVs?Link256
You mean three, right? One Night Stand 2005 and 2006. And D2D. So, three. Unless I am missing something beyond that? Or does D2D not count or something?

D2D totally does not count. Plus, by the time it rolled around, they had changed what they were calling the wrestlers to like, Extremists or was it Job-monkeys?
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Link256
Calling wrestlers "entertainers" reminds me when they were calling ECW wrestlers "extremist."
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Link256

[UPDATE]

Vince McMahon has also now apparently banned the term "sports entertainment" and told all WWE announcers to simply refer to WWE as "entertainment."

Credit: WrestlingObserver.com

---------------------------------------

Which is ironic, because Vince McMahon is one has lead the charge all of these years, in regards to calling wrestling "sports entertainment."

kayne2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 kayne2000
Member since 2004 • 5583 Posts
vince hits another homerun here lol though this begs the question what about that wrestlemania ppv entertainmentmania? yay for big fail by vince yet again his consistent no win streak for the past 6 years remains intact.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Link256

By the way, I was thinking, what the hell would the WWE call a wrestling match after this?

Dark_Hylian8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dark_Hylian8
Member since 2005 • 6711 Posts

By the way, I was thinking, what the hell would the WWE call a wrestling match after this?

Link256

Entertainment Match.

Entertainmentmania XXV

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Dude14

Link256
A performance.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Link256
[QUOTE="Link256"]By the way, I was thinking, what the hell would the WWE call a wrestling match after this? The_Dude14
A performance.

So, PeformanceMania? :P
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Link256

I've been hearing them refer to some matches as "BATTLES" recently, so maybe that's where they'll go.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

This all but seals the deal that RVD will never come back to WWE after his wife makes a full recovery. This imo would just be too big of a pill to swallow for him for his pride.

Joey Sty1es is probably throwing up as we speak right now as well. Imagine him calling ECW still and calling the wrestlers Entertainers ect.

Wow.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5e1459498b931
deactivated-5e1459498b931

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 deactivated-5e1459498b931
Member since 2007 • 3719 Posts

Well WWE is dying as a sport. (if you can call it that) It's a bit sad.

Calling wrestlers "entertainers" reminds me when they were calling ECW wrestlers "extremist." Link256

Did the same with ECW divas and called them "Vixens" for a small while, big waste now.....

.... roll on Entertainment Championship Wrestling or Extreme Championship Entertainment. (they could at least throw that into the mix)

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Link256

Well WWE is dying as a sport. (if you can call it that) It's a bit sad.VanDerSar01
Well, that is what ROH is for. So, make sure to check out ROH in the ROH Driven 2008 thread, right here in WWEv. /cheap pop

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Dude14

This all but seals the deal that RVD will never come back to WWE after his wife makes a full recovery. This imo would just be too big of a pill to swallow for him for his pride.

Blackbond

I doubt RVD's coming back, but this will have nothing to do with it. RVD won't be back because he doesn't want to work WWE's road schedule. He has pride as a wrestler, sure, but I think he's the type of guy that would pride himself upon thriving as a wrestler, succeeding and being over for his wrestling in this "Entertainment" industry.

If they come at him with the right deal (decent money, reduced road schedule), RVD might come back, but it won't happen. The only guys that get those deals are Legends like HBK, Hogan and Taker and WWE has never and will never hold RVD in that esteem.

TheGm86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheGm86
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

[QUOTE="VanDerSar01"]Well WWE is dying as a sport. (if you can call it that) It's a bit sad.Link256

Well, that is what ROH is for. So, make sure to check out ROH in the ROH Driven 2008 thread, right here in WWEv. /cheap pop

If you could get me a time machine and ROH from a couple years back sure....

Now....Hell no.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blackbond
[QUOTE="Blackbond"]

The_Dude14

I doubt RVD's coming back, but this will have nothing to do with it. RVD won't be back because he doesn't want to work WWE's road schedule. He has pride as a wrestler, sure, but I think he's the type of guy that would pride himself upon thriving as a wrestler, succeeding and being over for his wrestling in this "Entertainment" industry.

If they come at him with the right deal (decent money, reduced road schedule), RVD might come back, but it won't happen. The only guys that get those deals are Legends like HBK, Hogan and Taker and WWE has never and will never hold RVD in that esteem.

I wonder if RVD will ever wrestle again any where.

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
Not surprised at all... still waiting for them to ban the word "wrestling" from their company's name.
SeriousThreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SeriousThreat
Member since 2004 • 1642 Posts
This is exactly why I stopped watching wrestling. Its not wrestling anymore. Its crap.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Link256

This is exactly why I stopped watching wrestling. Its not wrestling anymore. Its crap.SeriousThreat
To be fair, the WWE has not really about "wrestling" since Rock 'N Wrestling Era.

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Dude14
[QUOTE="The_Dude14"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]

Blackbond

I wonder if RVD will ever wrestle again any where.

He has wrestled a few matches, already, when they've been convenient. The bigger question is whether he'll wrestle on a major level again.
KevyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 KevyR
Member since 2003 • 10870 Posts

Vinnie Mac has gone loco grande! Traditional wrestling fans have stop caring for awhile after these damn changes had happen. First, WWF became WWE, which I know quite a handful of people stop watching (I aked people about it at school and they stop watching after Austin and The Rock left). Second, they are targeting kids demographic, and could really careless about the demographic of 18-49, or whatever numbers they go up to. Then, they call us the "WWE Universe" whcih quite frankly makes me sick when everytime I hear that. Now, they are going to call the wrestlers "Entertainer". I think this is the camel that broke this camel back. I'm just about almost completely giving up watching WWE product now. As a matter fact, I have fallen asleep when watching RAW now. Nothing to keep me up.

I support Smackdown! because you get more wrestling there,than RAW. I don't really watch ECW anymore. If anything, I'm not totally giving up WWE until more stupid changes come along. This one thing about calling guys "Entertainers" is kinda lame. I like it how it is now, WWE Superstars.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blackbond

Like the previous stated I can't wait to hear what they call the next Wrestlemania lol.

EntertainmentMania I

They can't even talk about Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak anymore. There comes a time when you have to look at your product and think to yourself how much you are comprimising your product for the sake of profit. This comprimise is to great imo.

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Link256

I have to wonder, if Vince could, if he really would change the name of WrestleMania?

Not that he can. It would be suicide to do so.

-Static-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Static-
Member since 2008 • 1840 Posts

One of my school buddies were telling me about this, and personally, I think its pointless, for the Superstars to put their bodies on the line in wrestling, and to not even be considered a wrestler, but an "Entertainer." If I were a wrestler and was being called entertainer, I believe it would make me sad, or a bit angry.

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
It would make me angry too that the company is changing the word so they can get through a legal loophole and save a few bucks on taxes... Not being considered a sports entertainment business anymore I'm sure the wrestlers take offense that they have to put their bodies on the line and be considered what someone like Britney Spears considers herself. It's a shame that they have to be classified with the same word.
Rage11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Rage11
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

It really irrates me how WWE is about things sometimes. How "wrestler" and "wrestling" are like taboo words. They're called "superstars" and now "entertainers". Also we're not even fans anymore, we're the WWE Universe!

It's not that big of a deal, because you'll rarely hear an actual fan use these terms, you just hear them on WWE broadcasts. I can't picture anyone, even a child, using "WWE Universe" in a casual discussion.

If you see someone with a WWE shirt in public, you'd ask them, "oh, your a WWE fan?", not "oh you're in the WWE Universe". Just as people are still going to call it wrestling and still refer to these athletes as "wrestlers", or at least I hope.

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Link256

My guess with the whole "WWE Universe" thing, not so much taboo on the terms of "fans" or "audience," as it is WWE's attempt trying to make it their own.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Redders1989
Member since 2006 • 13410 Posts
Speaking of this "Entertainer" stuff, I picked up on Michael Cole calling one of the stars "Entertainer" on Raw this past Monday. Can't remember who it was though.