Chicago_Nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Chicago_Nut
Member since 2005 • 7205 Posts

BALTIMORE – WWE.com has learned Mick Foley will debut on color commentary for SmackDown tonight at Backlash. At the pay-per-view, the Hardcore Legend will call the World Heavyweight Championship Match between titleholder Undertaker and Edge, as well as the other SmackDown matches, alongside Michael Cole.

Foley first took the microphone at One Night Stand 2005 when he joined WWE.com's Joey Styl-s at the announcers' table. The three-time WWE Champion brings invaluable in-ring and out-of-the-squared circle experience to SmackDown's team.

Don't miss Foley's debut tonight on Backlash at 8/7 CT only on pay-per-view.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/backlash/exclusives/foleybacklash

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

While Mic Foley does not exactly set the world on fire with his commentary, I will easily take him over The Coach any day of the week.

alljoemama92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 alljoemama92
Member since 2006 • 4139 Posts
cool go foley
SeriousThreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SeriousThreat
Member since 2004 • 1642 Posts
Foleys worst is leagues better than Coach or Adamles best, so this is good news.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Link256

Foleys worst is leagues better than Coach or Adamles best, so this is good news.SeriousThreat

While I agree with you, interesting note how circumstances change perception. I mean, if this were case of Mic Foley replacing JBL, instead of The Coach looking to be the one getting the boot, people would, most likely, be scratching their heads and calling foul, versus praise and signs of relief that Foley announcement, so far, is getting.

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 The_Dude14
Member since 2004 • 17165 Posts

While Mic Foley does not exactly set the world on fire with his commentary, I will easily take him over The Coach any day of the week.Link256
Keep in mind that One Night Stand was Foley's first crack at commentary. Coach, on the other hand, has been at it for years and this is where we are with him. While Mick may not have been a natural at One Night Stand, I'd say he has a solid foundation to build upon. He's a great talker with knowledge and a great sense of humor. He's already an upgrade, give him some time to develop and I think he can be extremely solid.

I love the move. For one, I like keeping Foley involved. He's one of the brightest minds in wrestling, while he may not have any direct creative input, he is a valuable resource to have available to young wrestlers on how to make the most of what WWE gives you. Plus, it opens the door for Foley to occasional be an active participant like Jerry Lawler... except loads better. When allowed, Foley can put people over like few others. Hopefully, that is something that Foley can also develop in his commentary. That was probably the thing I appreciated most about JBL. For instance, I think he did more for London and Kendrick than the tag team titles that were around their wastes at the time.

Again, its already an immediate upgrade and I think there's no reason to believe that Foley cannot become a great commentator if he wants to be.

Rage11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Rage11
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts
I hope this is permanant. While compared to WWE's newest announcer, Mike Adamle, Coach isn't really so bad, Foley IMO will do a better job with Cole. Cole and Coach together are just, completely boring.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Link256

[QUOTE="Link256"]

While Mic Foley does not exactly set the world on fire with his commentary, I will easily take him over The Coach any day of the week.

The_Dude14

Keep in mind that One Night Stand was Foley's first crack at commentary. Coach, on the other hand, has been at it for years and this is where we are with him. While Mick may not have been a natural at One Night Stand, I'd say he has a solid foundation to build upon. He's a great talker with knowledge and a great sense of humor. He's already an upgrade, give him some time to develop and I think he can be extremely solid.

I love the move. For one, I like keeping Foley involved. He's one of the brightest minds in wrestling, while he may not have any direct creative input, he is a valuable resource to have available to young wrestlers on how to make the most of what WWE gives you. Plus, it opens the door for Foley to occasional be an active participant like Jerry Lawler... except loads better. When allowed, Foley can put people over like few others. Hopefully, that is something that Foley can also develop in his commentary. That was probably the thing I appreciated most about JBL. For instance, I think he did more for London and Kendrick than the tag team titles that were around their wastes at the time.

Again, its already an immediate upgrade and I think there's no reason to believe that Foley cannot become a great commentator if he wants to be.

While I think those are all great points, I think important to point out that as the case has been with Randy Savage, Dusty Rhodes, and Roddy Piper, having great mic skills does not always translate to commentary.

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Dude14

While I think those are all great points, I think important to point out that as the case has been with Randy Savage, Dusty Rhodes, and Roddy Piper, having great mic skills does not always translate to commentary.Link256
I see your point, even though I don't hate any of those three's commentary. Hell, Dusty could be giving a botany lecture and I'd probably be entertained. I like each of them better than what we've got, IMO.

Better examples, IMO, would probably be Mr. Perfect and Ted Dibiase.

And I'd certainly admit that desire is going to have a lot to do with it. For any of those guys, I'd wager that none of their hearts were really in commentary, especially Savage. All of them would make in ring returns (except Dibiase, due to injury and even he went into managing). Foley's definately going to have to be willing to put the time in if he wants to get good, but judging from everything I've read about how he approached One Night Stand, that should not be his problem.

Chicago_Nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chicago_Nut
Member since 2005 • 7205 Posts
I loved Foley at One Night Stand. He seemed comfortable, didn't make any stumbles or mistakes, and he was quite funny and entertaining.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Link256

[QUOTE="Link256"]While I think those are all great points, I think important to point out that as the case has been with Randy Savage, Dusty Rhodes, and Roddy Piper, having great mic skills does not always translate to commentary.The_Dude14

I see your point, even though I don't hate any of those three's commentary. Hell, Dusty could be giving a botany lecture and I'd probably be entertained. I like each of them better than what we've got, IMO.

Intitally, Perfect was one of the names I thought of, however, I declined on naming him, due to that, in my humble opinion, I never found him to be in the same league as Savage, Rhodes or Piper. I mean, do not get me wrong, the guy most certainly could get the job done, however, I always found him to be lacking that extra charmsic edge of the previously mentioned.

In the case of Disbiase, I will be honest, I just plain forgot about him. Good call.

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Dude14
[QUOTE="The_Dude14"] [QUOTE="Link256"]While I think those are all great points, I think important to point out that as the case has been with Randy Savage, Dusty Rhodes, and Roddy Piper, having great mic skills does not always translate to commentary.Link256

Intitally, Perfect was one of the names I thought of, however, I declined on naming him, due to that, in my humble opinion, I never found him to be in the same league as Savage, Rhodes or Piper. I mean, do not get me wrong, the guy most certainly could get the job done, however, I always found him to be lacking that extra charmsic edge of the previously mentioned.

In the case of Disbiase, I will be honest, I just plain forgot about him. Good call.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about Perfect, too, honestly. Still, figured he was worth mentioning.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Link256

[QUOTE="Link256"]

The_Dude14

Yeah, I thought the same thing about Perfect, too, honestly.

Kind of suprised at that reaction. I mean, from previous conversions, I figured you to be Perfect fan (not to say that you still are not), and in turn, would have thought more of him, in that regard.

Not that is bad thing...

Still, figured he was worth mentioning.

The_Dude14

I will give you that Mr. Perfect is certainly notable being yet another former/retired wrestler who does not fair all that well as announcer.

Than again, for Perfect, having Vince McMahon, of all people, as partner in crime, certainly did not help matters. I mean, while someone such as Roddy Piper, for my money, was bad, at least the guy had all-time great in Gorilla Monsoon their to help carry him.

Same cannot be said for Perfect.

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Dude14

[QUOTE="The_Dude14"]

[QUOTE="Link256"]

Link256

Yeah, I thought the same thing about Perfect, too, honestly.

Kind of suprised at that reaction. I mean, from previous conversions, I figured you to be Perfect fan (not to say that you still are not), and in turn, would have thought more of him, in that regard.

Not that is bad thing...

Oh, I love Perfect, I really do, but that's just an honest assesment. I love him more as a wrestler, not a personality, like Piper or Dusty. He is definately a significant notch below those guys with promos. He isn't a bad promo at all, but he lacks that certain something that the greats have. He benefitted greatly from a great gimmick (and to his credit, he did fill out that gimmick to damn near perfection) but he needed a second. Its not much of a secret as to why his most successful periods came when he had Bobby Heenan or, to a lesser extent, the Genius around as a supplement.

Its something of a pattern with me, I like guys more for their matches than their promos. RVD, Bret, hell, my current favorite wrestler, Roderick Strong, has to rank among the worst promos in wrestling, right now... if not ever. He is embarrassingly bad when he speaks.

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Link256

Jonathan Coachman was not at the Backlash PPV last night.

Credit: PWInsider.com

sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sephy37
Member since 2004 • 19516 Posts

I hope he steals Adamle's gimmick.

Ratings

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Link256
- WWE has announced that Mick Foley will do commentary on Smackdown each week starting with this Friday's episode.

- Jonathan Coachman called the NY Dragons Arena Football game on Saturday for the MSG Network.

Credit: PWInsider.com
Avatar image for jediknight52501
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 jediknight52501
Member since 2005 • 69715 Posts
- WWE has announced that Mick Foley will do commentary on Smackdown each week starting with this Friday's episode.

- Jonathan Coachman called the NY Dragons Arena Football game on Saturday for the MSG Network.

Credit: PWInsider.com Link256
has he left the company? i haven't heard anything about him leaving but i was never a big Coachman fan to begin with.
WWEMAN101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 WWEMAN101
Member since 2005 • 2461 Posts

[QUOTE="Link256"]- WWE has announced that Mick Foley will do commentary on Smackdown each week starting with this Friday's episode.

Credit: PWInsider.com jediknight52501
has he left the company? i haven't heard anything about him leaving but i was never a big Coachman fan to begin with.

Probably not. He does a bunch of announcing elsewhere.

Avatar image for jediknight52501
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 jediknight52501
Member since 2005 • 69715 Posts
i wish he would leave, he is not that great in my opinion, Edge could do a better job at annoucing.