Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 trick_man01
Member since 2003 • 11441 Posts
From WWE.com

Joey Mercury’s face, a raw, inflamed mess with blood still seeping out from his stitches, was scarlet red around his nose and left eye with hundreds of flakes of dry blood clinging to various places on his face.

“I’ve shattered my nose around the bridge area,” said a bruised and swollen Mercury, who was severely injured at last night’s Armageddon pay-per-view in a Ladder Match. “I have four fractures on the inside of my nose; I have 5 stitches on the inside of my nose and my cheek and 15 stitches on the outside of my nose and cheek. My left eye is swollen shut and I have continual internal bleeding from my nose and my eye.”

To Mercury’s credit, the injury that would have knocked most people out cold only left him momentarily stunned.

“I remember everything [about the incident],” he said. “I never lost consciousness and I never passed out.”

Asked what it felt like when the legs of the ladder dug into his face and ripped a gaping hole down his nose and under his eye, he thought long and hard before he spoke.

“I have nothing to compare it to; I’ve never been hit that hard in the face before,” he said as he paused. “I’d have to say it felt like a hundred-pound steel ladder connecting with my face at one-hundred miles per hour; or going head first through a windshield of a car without a seatbelt on; maybe getting hit in the face with a baseball bat swung by Sammy Sosa.”

Mercury made it clear it was the outcome of the match, not the injury, that was on his mind the day after the ghastly incident.

“Had I not been forced to leave the match due to a severe amount of blood loss, MNM would be the WWE Tag Team Champions,” he said. “Again, we made it clear that MNM is the greatest tag team in the modern era – not The Hardys.”
Avatar image for appaloosa582002
appaloosa582002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 appaloosa582002
Member since 2004 • 8733 Posts
Dang, thats one heck of a face injury.
Rage11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Rage11
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts
That was one brutal smack in the face last night, and man his face is messed up. I hope he recovers well.
Avatar image for Dark_NoobSaibot
Dark_NoobSaibot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Dark_NoobSaibot
Member since 2005 • 3049 Posts
HAHAHAHA!
bulletproofcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 bulletproofcow
Member since 2005 • 11261 Posts
Wow, all I can say is I hope he heals up soon. Internal bleeding, ouch.
mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#6 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts
Wow, just saw the replay of it happening on RAW.
nsoliveira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nsoliveira
Member since 2006 • 26075 Posts
I hope he gets better soon.
Total-KO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Total-KO
Member since 2006 • 4057 Posts

Whoever said wrestling is all fake is ignorant.

But unseriously, who falls to the floor face first?? You'd turn away surely..

BirdBoy_CM_HB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BirdBoy_CM_HB
Member since 2004 • 3599 Posts
so how long is he gonna be out?
danteliveson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 danteliveson
Member since 2004 • 6162 Posts
so how long is he gonna be out?BirdBoy_CM_HB

2 months
greenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 greenson
Member since 2005 • 307 Posts
What a wreck! Good for Joey, way to take a bump.
kayne2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 kayne2000
Member since 2004 • 5583 Posts
old wwe the match would of continued and he would of stayed there in appliance with anything goes in a ladder match damn annoying new wwe.
trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trick_man01
old wwe the match would of continued and he would of stayed there in appliance with anything goes in a ladder match damn annoying new wwe.kayne2000
Ummm... no he would have still been rushed to the hospital.
MistaMike54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MistaMike54
Member since 2005 • 6417 Posts

[QUOTE="kayne2000"]old wwe the match would of continued and he would of stayed there in appliance with anything goes in a ladder match damn annoying new wwe.trick_man01
Ummm... no he would have still been rushed to the hospital.

Uhh...yeah.

There was a spout of blood coming from in between his eyes.

sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sephy37
Member since 2004 • 19516 Posts

old wwe the match would of continued and he would of stayed there in appliance with anything goes in a ladder match damn annoying new wwe.kayne2000

you do not that the injury wasn't a work right? HE could have hemorrhaged if he didn't get to a hospital within the hour.

he had like a huge laceration going up his face, that's like Squall badassness

kayne2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kayne2000

they may of tried to rush him to hospital but old wwe may not of cared so much if he kept on fighting in other words old style he would of had a reasonable chance of going on if he wanted to. now its unplanned blood scene? oh sorry we gotta rush you off.

or it could be the way it was advertised on Raw like something weve never seen before that was flat out annoying or both.

trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trick_man01

they may of tried to rush him to hospital but old wwe may not of cared so much if he kept on fighting in other words old style he would of had a reasonable chance of going on if he wanted to. now its unplanned blood scene? oh sorry we gotta rush you off.

or it could be the way it was advertised on Raw like something weve never seen before that was flat out annoying or both.

kayne2000
I don't think you understand the severity of his injury, there is absolutely no way he could have kept competing, it would have just been too dangerous. If you have seen the footage you will realize that in the span of 5 or 6 seconds after he was hit in the face with the ladder he was already at like 0.3 or 0.4 on the Muta scale and his eye was already swollen shut so he couldn't have seen anything to protect himself during bumps.
sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sephy37

kayne2000

what the hell are you talking about? dude that ladder shot WASN'T SUPPOSED TO END LIKE THAT. Mercury messed up on accident and didn't protect his face like Nitro by putting his hands up and jesus, if anyone would have gotten a hit like that, they would have gotten out too. have you ever seen old WWE before or are you trying to sound smart?

most of the times in old WWE that ur thinking of, they had those spots planned. like Foley vs. Taker HIAC, Foley came back to the ring BECAUSE THAT'S HOW THE SCRIPT FOR THE MATCH WAS. Foley took those bumps because they were planned and even tho he was in pain from that big fall, it was planned to make sure he was as safe as possible coming down.

oh and i bet ur gonna say when Benoit broke Sabu's neck or when Droz broke his neck or when Lesnar powerbombed Holly and broke his neck that they could have kept going because the OLD WWE had "broken neck" angles before and they kept going.

you sound like an idiot. why wouldn't you sympathize for him? did u even see the match? did u see how much he was bleeding?

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
I've had a cut similar to that when I accidentally gashed my wrist open while ice skating over the summer and lemme tell you, there was no way for Mercury to have kept going after that much blood loss. With a wound open like that you bleed so much that you get so light headed and dizzy that there's no way to keep on wrestling. When wrestlers bleed on TV from blading it's a small controlled cut, that's why they keep on wrestling, but when you get gashed open the way Mercury did it's a whole different story. Also you add into the mix the fact that his eye was injured, which would mess up his vision which can't go well with a ladder match which involves high risk moves. If any of you were expecting Joey to continue in that match you're not thinking straight.
sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sephy37

I've had a cut similar to that when I accidentally gashed my wrist open while ice skating over the summer and lemme tell you, there was no way for Mercury to have kept going after that much blood loss. With a wound open like that you bleed so much that you get so light headed and dizzy that there's no way to keep on wrestling. When wrestlers bleed on TV from blading it's a small controlled cut, that's why they keep on wrestling, but when you get gashed open the way Mercury did it's a whole different story. Also you add into the mix the fact that his eye was injured, which would mess up his vision which can't go well with a ladder match which involves high risk moves. If any of you were expecting Joey to continue in that match you're not thinking straight.wwervin

yeah, not many have mentioned that. his eye was already swollen with blood. you know that scene in Rocky where his eye is swollen and he's like "CUT ME!" and they juice it by slitting it open...

plus your head needs a certain amount of blood flowing in and out and to the brain, with a swollen eye like that, those lacerations on his face, and what looked like he was spitting up blood, he could have hemorrhaged and died if he was not treated soon if not immediately. Mercury is lucky he didn't permanantly damage his vision or broken some nerves. that COULD have been career ending in the worst case scenario.

WESLY_SNYPES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 WESLY_SNYPES
Member since 2006 • 794 Posts
Ok whoever said that people would have continued wrestling back in the old days must think the hit was not as bad. Why don't YOU get a 175lb person to slingshot a ladder in YOUR face and see if you can go back to business as usual. You must not have seen the PPV or are completely ignorant.
-CB4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -CB4
Member since 2006 • 323 Posts

[QUOTE="wwervin"]I've had a cut similar to that when I accidentally gashed my wrist open while ice skating over the summer and lemme tell you, there was no way for Mercury to have kept going after that much blood loss. With a wound open like that you bleed so much that you get so light headed and dizzy that there's no way to keep on wrestling. When wrestlers bleed on TV from blading it's a small controlled cut, that's why they keep on wrestling, but when you get gashed open the way Mercury did it's a whole different story. Also you add into the mix the fact that his eye was injured, which would mess up his vision which can't go well with a ladder match which involves high risk moves. If any of you were expecting Joey to continue in that match you're not thinking straight.sephy37

yeah, not many have mentioned that. his eye was already swollen with blood. you know that scene in Rocky where his eye is swollen and he's like "CUT ME!" and they juice it by slitting it open...

plus your head needs a certain amount of blood flowing in and out and to the brain, with a swollen eye like that, those lacerations on his face, and what looked like he was spitting up blood, he could have hemorrhaged and died if he was not treated soon if not immediately. Mercury is lucky he didn't permanantly damage his vision or broken some nerves. that COULD have been career ending in the worst case scenario.

Exactly. kayne2000 do you recall the mass transit incident in ECW?
kayne2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kayne2000

well unfortunently due to ecw hardly ever being on tv until recently i rarely got a chance to see it so no probably didnt see that mass transit incident

foleys bumps planned? oh right ive never heard ANYBODY say the foley taker incident was planned all records ive seen and heard people say clearly say it was never supposed to even leave the cell much less start up there.maybe some of his later WWE bumps were planned but foley is well known for script breaking with some serious insanity attached.

well id say its pretty hard to move with a broken neck meanwhile a swollen eye and busted face id bet its considerably easier to move if not still possible. which makes me wonder how legit kurt angles so called broken neck and kept wrestling during the olympics was cause ive always wondered that

old Wrestling my point here being is unplanned falls such as the foley falls or in this case his busted face wrestlers could very well continue now days they wont let them was my point. and of course the way it was advertised on Raw the next day was flat out annoying.

sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sephy37

Kurt Angle wrestled with his broken neck cuz he couldn't feel it. he had too much adrenaline going and probably only thought it was wear and tear after so many matches.

oh and Kurt didn't really break his neck, he only fractured 2 of his vertebrae (which is still pretty serious and can be AS bad.)

and Kayne, how long have u been watching wrestling?

nobodyshero87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nobodyshero87
Member since 2006 • 22210 Posts
ouch that must of hurted, I heard about this from my gf and she described to me what happen since I missed it cause I was at work.
jamie_w_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#26 jamie_w_91
Member since 2004 • 4045 Posts

well unfortunently due to ecw hardly ever being on tv until recently i rarely got a chance to see it so no probably didnt see that mass transit incident

foleys bumps planned? oh right ive never heard ANYBODY say the foley taker incident was planned all records ive seen and heard people say clearly say it was never supposed to even leave the cell much less start up there.maybe some of his later WWE bumps were planned but foley is well known for script breaking with some serious insanity attached.

well id say its pretty hard to move with a broken neck meanwhile a swollen eye and busted face id bet its considerably easier to move if not still possible. which makes me wonder how legit kurt angles so called broken neck and kept wrestling during the olympics was cause ive always wondered that

old Wrestling my point here being is unplanned falls such as the foley falls or in this case his busted face wrestlers could very well continue now days they wont let them was my point. and of course the way it was advertised on Raw the next day was flat out annoying.

kayne2000

Khanye, If you break your neck your pretty much can't do anything nevermind wrestling, your pretty much imobalized. As Gary said, Angle broke a few vertabrae and was still able to compete. Guys like Benoit have "broken their neck" but ... realistically if you do actually break your neck, there's a huge possibility that you can die. People that claim to break their neck (particulary in wrestling) are talking about one or two minute bones or vertabrae... usually C5,C6 & C7 ;)

flamingskullz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 flamingskullz
Member since 2005 • 2100 Posts

kayne2000

dude, your being stupid. it was gruesome. i watched the match lst night and there was blood squirting from his face. he looked as though he didnt know where he was. his eye bulged to the size of a plum. Mercury has gained alot of respect from me because of that  bump, out side of CZW, i have never seen anything like it.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#28 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Damn that doesn't look good
Dante-2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dante-2006
Member since 2004 • 2299 Posts
Joey Mercury injury does look bad after getting hit with that ladder at Armageddon, hope he has a successful recovery
BirdBoy_CM_HB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BirdBoy_CM_HB
Member since 2004 • 3599 Posts

[QUOTE="wwervin"]I've had a cut similar to that when I accidentally gashed my wrist open while ice skating over the summer and lemme tell you, there was no way for Mercury to have kept going after that much blood loss. With a wound open like that you bleed so much that you get so light headed and dizzy that there's no way to keep on wrestling. When wrestlers bleed on TV from blading it's a small controlled cut, that's why they keep on wrestling, but when you get gashed open the way Mercury did it's a whole different story. Also you add into the mix the fact that his eye was injured, which would mess up his vision which can't go well with a ladder match which involves high risk moves. If any of you were expecting Joey to continue in that match you're not thinking straight.sephy37

on SD tonight he said that he is 50% blind in his left eye(or right, one of em)
sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sephy37
[QUOTE="sephy37"]

[QUOTE="wwervin"]I've had a cut similar to that when I accidentally gashed my wrist open while ice skating over the summer and lemme tell you, there was no way for Mercury to have kept going after that much blood loss. With a wound open like that you bleed so much that you get so light headed and dizzy that there's no way to keep on wrestling. When wrestlers bleed on TV from blading it's a small controlled cut, that's why they keep on wrestling, but when you get gashed open the way Mercury did it's a whole different story. Also you add into the mix the fact that his eye was injured, which would mess up his vision which can't go well with a ladder match which involves high risk moves. If any of you were expecting Joey to continue in that match you're not thinking straight.BirdBoy_CM_HB

i missed that segment but it's probably his left because that's the one that got messed up

jamie_w_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#32 jamie_w_91
Member since 2004 • 4045 Posts

i missed that segment but it's probably his left because that's the one that got messed upsephy37

^^he came out telling how the Hardyz did on purpose or something, to be honest... I wasn't listening :| then Matt Hardy came out (watch show is he actually on? :/) and said he was sorry and it was a mistake, then Mercury asked for a fight... Hardy refused, then Nitro came out with Melina (who used the steps upon entering the ring =0) and the two fought, Nitro won

Gamezilla57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 Gamezilla57
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts
Now that dude got owned! I feel sorry for him.
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#34 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
mercury is a tough man. he looks like hes getting better already