Good ol' host shows. Remember the Highlight Reel? Cabana? Peep Show?

hbk91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hbk91
Member since 2004 • 30874 Posts

Talk about deteriorating or what?

There was a point some time last year when we'd see the above mentioned host shows rival each week on each determined brand. They all had their perspective qualities and took entertainment in the WWE that bit higher. They also played a part in developing charisma, characterisation, along with building up feuds, hype...etc.

Looking at what's left now is pathetic. When Carlito made the jump to RAW last year, there was some tension between himself and Jericho over the better host show. It was great. While although SD! lost Carlito's Cabana, Christian debuted The Peep Show which also went off to a great start, even though it's format was rather shabby. Now with Jericho "fired", Christian quitting, and Carlito being...Carlito...the only host shows left in the WWE occur be the random Pipers Pit every now and again and the devalued Cutting Edge.

I definitely feel WWE needs to step up the game with host shows. It could do wonders in SD! and heck, it'd be nice to see the regular segment on RAW instead of seeing Vince hog the spotlight. I really think The Cabana should return simply because Carlito is progressing quickly and now that he's tipping off his wrestling ability, maybe he should be allowed to do the same with his charismatic energy. Regardless though, Carlito's great on the mic and with promos too.

shoot_em_up123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 shoot_em_up123
Member since 2004 • 11074 Posts
I definitly agree with you Mena.  I loved the talk shows.  Always made for pretty good storylines and were usually pretty entertaining.  I really think that they need to bring back Carlito's Cabana, although it was usually the same thing, Carlito makes fun of the guest and ends up spitting in their face.  But Carlito is an extremely funny guy and makes a great host.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

Eh, I was not really fan of that era... too many of those skits were happening and they felt too predictable, generic and lengthy in time... However, with that being said, yes... I would pick talk show skit(s) any day of the week over seeing Vince McMahon for any length of time... easily.

GTAps2SanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GTAps2SanA
Member since 2005 • 3716 Posts
They need to bring back the Highlight reel plus bring Jericho back...What ever happened to him anyway?
The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Dude14
Member since 2004 • 17165 Posts

They need to bring back the Highlight reel plus bring Jericho back...What ever happened to him anyway?GTAps2SanA
Story-wise, Bischoff fired him after he lost to Cena for the 92nd straight time.

In reality, Jericho wanted to take a break from wrestling and be with his family and work on his music with Fozzy.  The door's open for a return to the WWE when he wants, plus TNA would be salivating to score Jericho.  The ball's in Jericho's court for when and where he returns.  Last I heard, though, Jericho was enjoying his time away and not missing wrestling much, at all.

Avatar image for carlito_is_cool
carlito_is_cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 carlito_is_cool
Member since 2005 • 1009 Posts

mmm...maybe they should have JR do a show on raw...maybe even on smackdown.

icytower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 icytower
Member since 2005 • 10643 Posts
Done properly I feel the talk shows could be great addition.  However, as with many other things lately in the WWE, I really feel that they would screw it up and completely make them pointless.
AcolyteV1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 AcolyteV1
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts
Honestly, I don't know about this one.  On the one hand, as far as RAW is concerned, I'd be happy to see anything replace the McMahon promos or Triple H / Cena snorers, but, I'd much rather see that replaced with wrestling than with talk shows.  Whilst the talk show format can help to build up the character and charisma of a wrestler, I think in the long run, that work is far better done in the ring. I pay far more attention to Carlito after seeing his in ring improvements than I ever did watching him during the talk show segment.

A talk segment along the lines of the original Cutting Edge - i.e. a way of keeping Edge on camera despite his injury - I am 100% fine with.  Perhaps this would be a good way to keep Ken Kennedy in everyone's minds, and I certainly think his mic work would make him a good candidate for a show, too.  That, however, is about the only reason I want to see a "talk show", to keep someone active on screen when they can't be active in the ring, for whatever reason.

The situation a few months ago, with The Peep Show, The Cabbana, The Highlight Reel and the Cutting Edge all running at once... that was just ridiculous.  Perhaps running one a week on a single brand isn't a bad idea, to get angles over, but running multiple shows across each brand, every week, is just over kill, IMO.
DirtyDarren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 DirtyDarren
Member since 2004 • 10321 Posts
The Cabana definitely helped build Carlito as a heel and the Highlight Reel was mainly used by the WWE to build feuds even more.  I enjoyed the segments myself, much more than McMahon's promos, but I would rather have the quality of wrestling take the front seat rather than the talkshow segements.

The thing I'm most confused by is how the Cutting Edge didn't even last a month.  Hell.... it didn't even make it's first scheduled show.
Demonic_Jin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#10 Demonic_Jin
Member since 2005 • 10650 Posts
All of the talk shows were really....i don't know how to put it. They seemed really shabby...except for the Highlight real, cause it was original at that time...well original in the WWE
trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 trick_man01
Member since 2003 • 11441 Posts
I loved the cabana it was so cool. Carlito is one of the best (and funniest) mic workers in all of WWE, he isn't drawing nearly as much heat without the cabana and that's not cool.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

All of the talk shows were really....i don't know how to put it. They seemed really shabby...except for the Highlight real, cause it was original at that time...well original in the WWEDemonic_Jin

"Highlight Real" was not really original, because "Piper's Pit" was the first show of its kind (WWE or not), however... the great part about the Y2J's show is that a) Jericho mic character/skills fit the format to great effect, like no other and b) it had been years sense WWE has talk show to speak of... so while it was not original... it was certainly fresh idea. 

However, once the WWE start having 2... 3... and 4 shows running within the time period and/or same year... it obviously became ridiclous and even the "Highlight Real" began to loose its appeal, because all of the shows starting have same type feel and the format no longer felt fresh.

BATMAYNE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BATMAYNE
Member since 2005 • 3225 Posts

They were boring and always ended in the host/guest fighting or guest/random person fighting with host looking on in shock.

hbk91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hbk91
Member since 2004 • 30874 Posts

However, once the WWE start having 2... 3... and 4 shows running within the time period and/or same year... it obviously became ridiclous and even the "Highlight Real" began to loose its appeal, because all of the shows starting have same type feel and the format no longer felt fresh.Link256
You raise a fair point there. I suppose at a time like now, it would be appropriate to run them seeing how they could spark more from some of the weak feuds and programmes happening right now. It could also help strengthen divisions in a way too.

However, we've only got one show (Cutting Edge), which isn't exactly regular let alone publicized as much as the others. These days, the show is only aired to apply more to Edge's feud...e.g. last with Flair, now with Foley. It has potential, but not enough to flash the standards of some of the past host shows such as the Highlight Reel for example.

The_Dude14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Dude14
Member since 2004 • 17165 Posts

Meh, I don't really miss any of them too much.  The best part of any of the new ones was the "ridiculously expensive" Jeritron 5000, and only when Jericho made reference to it. 

There is a huge difference between the talk shows today and the classics, like Piper's Pit, and that's the fact important stuff actually happened on the classic shows.  The Talk shows were used to start or build up the big money feuds along with the smaller feuds.  It seemed like most of Hogan's feuds began on the talk shows, whether Piper's Pit or other talk shows.  Has Triple H ever even "graced" one of these talk shows with his presence.  No, there's no way anyone should share any of the spotlight for his 20 minute promos.  The Rockers breakup occurred in the Barber Shop segment, which was that segment's only real memorable segment.  The most memorable thing that happened on any of the "new age" talk shows I can remember was Carlito attacking RVD's knee.  Unless WWE actually makes these segments important again and not just filler, I don't really miss 'em.

Then again, I'd take practically anything over McMahon's tedious (at best) segments.

scoobypat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 scoobypat
Member since 2003 • 6781 Posts
I think you all need to watch Pipers Pit, the first ever interview show. That was ground breaking and actually added to feuds, because it was weekly the fans didn't know what to expect. But nowadays these shows only happen when they can't figure out how to progress a storyline so the fans know something is going to happen involving the hosts feud.
scoobypat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 scoobypat
Member since 2003 • 6781 Posts
BTW Pipers Pit started in 1984 in the WWF, then came the Flower Shop with Adrain Adonis, then Pipers Pit came back, then the Barbershop with Brutus "the Barber" Beefcake, and then it got pretty crappy and down hill from there, until the Higlight Reel, and then it once again assumed its crappy down fall.
sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sephy37
Member since 2004 • 19516 Posts

"Good Times, Great Memories" > Highlight Reel >>>>> ALL

bulletproofcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 bulletproofcow
Member since 2005 • 11261 Posts

sephy37

Is that including Piper's Pit?

Anyway, if Y2J came back the Highlight Reel would too. So either a new one or get Jericho back. Thought he did seem happy outside of wrestling. I'd like to see a Kennedy one.

sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sephy37
Member since 2004 • 19516 Posts
[QUOTE="sephy37"]

bulletproofcow

Is that including Piper's Pit?

Anyway, if Y2J came back the Highlight Reel would too. So either a new one or get Jericho back. Thought he did seem happy outside of wrestling. I'd like to see a Kennedy one.

yes...except for the time he hit Jimmy Snuka with a coconut :lol:

lilhbk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 lilhbk
Member since 2004 • 10609 Posts

The thing I'm most confused by is how the Cutting Edge didn't even last a month.  Hell.... it didn't even make it's first scheduled show.
DirtyDarren

Good thing actually, Edge kinda sucked doin it anyways :P, I think the Cabana should be back...or maybe they're just waiting until Raw's Jericho is back and have the highlight reel :D