Edge Speaks On WWE Taking The Title Off Him, Foley, More...

mud12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 mud12345
Member since 2005 • 3576 Posts

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/39073/Edge-Speaks-On-WWE-Taking-the-Title-Off-Him,-Foley,-More.htm

Edge Speaks On WWE Taking the Title Off Him, Foley, More
Posted by Ashish on 03.22.2006

Adam Copeland a.k.a Edge appeared on The LAW: Live Audio Wrestling this past Sunday. Here are some highlights of the interview (to hear the entire unedited 20-minute interview go to http://www.liveaudiowrestling.com in the "Xtra" section):

*Edge says his pec has held up very well since coming back in January and avoiding surgery. He found a great doctor in Toronto to help him rehab the pec tear and separated shoulder. He was back within 2-months of what was a 6-month injury and feels great despite doing some crazy stuff since coming back. He said he's not fully back to where he would like to be in the ring but he's getting there.

*On the TLC match on January 16th, he didn't feel a TLC match should be done on free TV but looked at it as a challenge being that it was his first title defense and Ric Flair had never been in one and wanted to have a great match with Flair in a TLC match. He was leery about doing the match after just coming back from injury. He felt the effects but was really happy about doing it.

*He felt point blank that the WWE made a big mistake taking the title off of him when ratings and attendance went up when he had the title. He said that wasn't a knock against John Cena, but that the fans wanted to see Cena chase Edge. He thought he was the not the sole reason, but a major reason for ratings going up. He said there were a lot of people that doubted putting the title on him and had a mentality of proving them wrong. He said he didn't feel vindicated when ratings went down but he did acknowledge that he did make an impact and feels they will have confidence putting the title back on him down the road.

*He noted that the boys backstage were taking notice over house show attendance going up and that you could attribute that to "WrestleMania" season but with attendance up over January's of past years it has to be attributed to something else and it picked up right after "New Year's Revolution". Edge feels he is one of the few genuine heels and people will pay to see his ass get kicked and enjoys having Lita to play off of.

*He noted how it would have been great to have held the title at the same time as Christian but the fact that both held the titles is a feat in itself.

*On the crowd reactions to John Cena: He feels fans are very fickle and when anything becomes too cool, they rebel against it pointing to
The Rock at "SummerSlam" with Brock Lesnar in 2002. He notes that Toronto tends to dictate what the rest of the world is going to do. He feels he and Lita were able to get people back behind Cena and allow ratings and attendance to go up because they wanted to see Cena chase the title. He also feels Cena is back to having that problem because with the exception of himself and JBL, there is not another universal heel in the WWE. He said in his matches with Cena only about 5-10% would boo Cena and Edge just worked on turning those people.

*Edge says he's been somewhat happy with the build for the match with Mick Foley for "WrestleMania 22". He feels more could have been done so far but it had to start slowly to get kick started at "Saturday Night's Main Event" because there was no issue to start with and now it's starting to build. He's always wanted to wrestle Mick and that he wrote the forward to his book. He's not looking forward to the physical stuff they have planned for ‘Mania because his body is at the point where he has to think twice. His sole purpose is to steal the show and have people talking about their match.

To hear the complete 20-minute interview with Edge, go to the "Xtra" section of http://www.liveaudiowrestling.com where Edge discusses a ton more including Bret Hart being used in an angle at ‘Mania, Saturday Night's Main Event and much more. To listen to The LAW, tune in every Sunday night at 11pm EST at http://www.liveaudiowrestling.com

trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 trick_man01
Member since 2003 • 11441 Posts
I agree with Edge about himself and JBL, although Orton is quickly establishing himself in that group.
superman2412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 superman2412
Member since 2004 • 4120 Posts
I wish edge had the title back
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

*On the crowd reactions to John Cena: He feels fans are very fickle and when anything becomes too cool, they rebel against it pointing to The Rock at "SummerSlam" with Brock Lesnar in 2002. He notes that Toronto tends to dictate what the rest of the world is going to do. mud12345

While there is obviously more to 'Cena hate' from the fans than this explanation... it is certainly good see someone from WWE, like Edge, give more logical and better explanation (and one that is much closer to actual reason) than the typical WWE response "because the fans are jealous of John Cena's looks." 

He feels he and Lita were able to get people back behind Cena and allow ratings and attendance to go up because they wanted to see Cena chase the title. He also feels Cena is back to having that problem because with the exception of himself and JBL, there is not another universal heel in the WWE. He said in his matches with Cena only about 5-10% would boo Cena and Edge just worked on turning those people.

mud12345

Yeah, he is certainly correct about that point about him playing effect heel and being able to "kill" lot of the 'Cena hate.'

However, with that being said.... Edge such mega-heel that it seems at this point and time, he could have that kind of effect on anyone he goes up against. Also, the rating did not go up because they wanted see to John Cena chase for the WWE title... the rating went up because a) Cena was finally no longer the champion, b) Edge is awesome heel... simply as that, and c) for first time in few years in WWE... something unexpected actually happened.

DirtyDarren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 DirtyDarren
Member since 2004 • 10321 Posts
So Edge noticed that the fans got into it more when Cena was chasing the title... I think there was someone else who suggested that a couple months before, but I just can't seem to remember who it was. 

Oh wait!  That's right.  It was KURT FREAKIN' ANGLE!
lilhbk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lilhbk
Member since 2004 • 10609 Posts

DirtyDarren

YEAH! and they didnt listen to him...., dude Edge, JBL, and Orton are like the greatest heels alive right now:P Orton plays his charecter so much that i really do hate him:P you can ask Darren, i've told him quite a few times that i hate him(orton):P

sephy37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sephy37
Member since 2004 • 19516 Posts

[QUOTE="DirtyDarren"]
lilhbk

YEAH! and they didnt listen to him...., dude Edge, JBL, and Orton are like the greatest heels alive right now:P Orton plays his charecter so much that i really do hate him:P you can ask Darren, i've told him quite a few times that i hate him(orton):P

Bryan Danielson > All

And if we were talking WWE? Then Regal is the best heel that they have...too bad they don't use him properly and i haven't seen him wrestle in ages.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="DirtyDarren"]
Oh wait! That's right. It was KURT FREAKIN' ANGLE!
lilhbk

Orton is a decent heel, but I hate him because he's a douche in real life.
lilhbk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lilhbk
Member since 2004 • 10609 Posts
[QUOTE="lilhbk"]

[QUOTE="DirtyDarren"]
JML897

i dunno how he is in real life...and if he's that bad of a person in real life...then im gonna hate him for real now 

Skaterfool99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Skaterfool99
Member since 2004 • 12731 Posts
I really think they should give someone other than edge and cena a shot at the title and orton too. They need to give some other people shots...but i didn't like edge as champ b/c of lita and his attitude towards veterans. Thats about it though.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

[QUOTE="DirtyDarren"]
lilhbk

Nah, Randy Orton WAS great heel, certainly not so any more... I say he is okay at best.

I would say JBL is good heel in mid-card status, but some what weak one as main eventer.

As far as Edge goes... I say he is the best heel working in wrestling today (national wrestling, that is).

raiden300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 raiden300
Member since 2005 • 1454 Posts

I really think they should give someone other than edge and cena a shot at the title and orton too. They need to give some other people shots...but i didn't like edge as champ b/c of lita and his attitude towards veterans. Thats about it though. Skaterfool99

What attitude are you referring to?

trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 trick_man01
Member since 2003 • 11441 Posts
[QUOTE="JML897"] [QUOTE="lilhbk"]

[QUOTE="DirtyDarren"]
lilhbk

i dunno how he is in real life...and if he's that bad of a person in real life...then im gonna hate him for real now

He's not that bad in real life, he's a little arrogant but that's all.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
[QUOTE="trick_man01"]
[QUOTE="JML897"] [QUOTE="lilhbk"]

[QUOTE="DirtyDarren"]
lilhbk

i dunno how he is in real life...and if he's that bad of a person in real life...then im gonna hate him for real now

And he went AWOL from the military twice, and was dishonorably discharged. Oh, and don't keep any gymbags near him or he'll use it as a toilet. But besides that, he's a great guy.
bruteshot79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 bruteshot79
Member since 2006 • 398 Posts
[QUOTE="trick_man01"] [QUOTE="lilhbk"][QUOTE="JML897"] [QUOTE="lilhbk"]

[QUOTE="DirtyDarren"]
JML897

And he went AWOL from the military twice, and was dishonorably discharged. Oh, and don't keep any gymbags near him or he'll use it as a toilet. But besides that, he's a great guy.

And he also "allegedly" harassed (sexually?) Amy Weber on a flight, which Edge was also involved in. So they are both pretty much asses in real life, but I like them inside the WWE most of the time.

Ryder_4_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ryder_4_Life
Member since 2003 • 810 Posts
I dunno, I really hope HHH takes the title from Cena.