digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

So I'm sure you all have noticed that the Awesome Users Blog has been removed for some time now and has been replaced with "GameSpotting". 

I'll guess that many of you are curious how you can be a part of GameSpotting. Well much like in the "How to Get Spotted" thread part of getting noticed is also having the drive to stand up and say "Hey, look at my work!" So I am opening up this sticky thread for GSWRT members to thow down their editorial gauntlet for a chance to be featured alongside editors like Chris Watters and Kevin VanOrd in their own feature as well as getting prime front page real estate.  

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#2 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Coming soon: Gaming's Auteur Theory

Also in the pipeline:

The Symbiosis of Gaming and Film

Grand Theft Auto V: Reflecting Los Angeles

Cultural Impact of the Playstation

pokecharm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

User Lists: 0

#3 pokecharm
Member since 2011 • 1474 Posts
I like that this sort of happened and no one told us and now all the editorials we had previously written are basically trash :)
zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5341 Posts

Not trash, just not serving the purpose we thought they did, and our previous work and perceived level of influence was misguided. Hopefully this will be a better-managed change, though with the posting of the GameSpotting module featuring 60+ day old content, we will just have to wait and see.

I like that this sort of happened and no one told us and now all the editorials we had previously written are basically trash :)pokecharm

WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#5 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

I wrote an editorial about two weeks ago that I'd like to submit (if that's not too long ago):  "I'll Never Play The Hero"

It explores the reasons why a lot of recent action games have been centered around some rather villainous player characters. 

Avatar image for experience_fade
experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 experience_fade
Member since 2012 • 347 Posts

My most recent work, Multiplayer and its Effects On Gaming, can be found here: http://www.gamespot.com/users/experience_fade/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-26039879

I feel it's worthy of consideration!

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts
Great work everyone, keep it up. I know that the lack of full insights for what is happening is frustrating but in time all will be revealed. 
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#8 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts
I may have an Editorial blog up my sleeves just thinking of a good one at the right at the wrong time.
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 benleslie5  Moderator

I may have an Editorial blog up my sleeves just thinking of a good one at the right at the wrong time.benleslie5

Forget what I've just said, I've just finished typing this up on my blog- The Neverending Story of Endings

Asagea_888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

#10 Asagea_888
Member since 2008 • 430 Posts

I think this is a great alternative overall.  Any editorial featured in GameSpotting should be considered an honor, and inspire bloggers to really hone their craft and come up with something great.

Once I find something interesting to write about, I'd be more than happy to take a shot at this.

experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 experience_fade

I write about multiplayer and it's effects on gaming, and a few days later, Chris Watters does a multiplayer-focused article on GameSpot.

Synthia, you're teasing me! Dang it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

I don't tend to do many editorials because I don't usualy have enough to say about current events, or by the time I do, the anvil has cooled too much to be worth striking.

i'll keep it in mind though.  

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts
Gaming's Auteur Theory is now up and awaiting your consideration, Synthia :)
lim_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lim_ak
Member since 2003 • 1545 Posts
The last thing I wrote was end of last month Civilized History Lessons, about how the game reflects real history and got me interested into learning about world history. I'm probably going to start writing more, but yay to awesome user blogs getting some love. :)
zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zyxe  Moderator

Awesome User Blogs was canned from the front page, so it's not getting any love. This new GameSpotting feature appears to be taking its place.

The last thing I wrote was end of last month Civilized History Lessons, about how the game reflects real history and got me interested into learning about world history. I'm probably going to start writing more, but yay to awesome user blogs getting some love. :)lim_ak

lim_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lim_ak
Member since 2003 • 1545 Posts

Awesome User Blogs was canned from the front page, so it's not getting any love. This new GameSpotting feature appears to be taking its place.

[QUOTE="lim_ak"]The last thing I wrote was end of last month Civilized History Lessons, about how the game reflects real history and got me interested into learning about world history. I'm probably going to start writing more, but yay to awesome user blogs getting some love. :)zyxe

Okay didn't mean that quite so literally, although my phrasing was utterly rubbish :P. But the idea of GameSpotting, of interesting user blogs getting featured on the site. Awesome User Blogs became not so great on the front page so it being more curated is cool. 

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zyxe  Moderator

Check out the front page again. GameSpotting isn't even there anymore. I'm glad they took down the module if they weren't even going to update it, and I like the idea of a "what's hot" section, even if it's a bit clunky of a look.

[QUOTE="zyxe"]

[QUOTE="lim_ak"]The last thing I wrote was end of last month Civilized History Lessons, about how the game reflects real history and got me interested into learning about world history. I'm probably going to start writing more, but yay to awesome user blogs getting some love. :)lim_ak

Okay didn't mean that quite so literally, although my phrasing was utterly rubbish :P. But the idea of GameSpotting, of interesting user blogs getting featured on the site. Awesome User Blogs became not so great on the front page so it being more curated is cool. 

experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 experience_fade

Check out the front page again. GameSpotting isn't even there anymore. I'm glad they took down the module if they weren't even going to update it, and I like the idea of a "what's hot" section, even if it's a bit clunky of a look.

[QUOTE="lim_ak"][QUOTE="zyxe"]

[QUOTE="lim_ak"]The last thing I wrote was end of last month Civilized History Lessons, about how the game reflects real history and got me interested into learning about world history. I'm probably going to start writing more, but yay to awesome user blogs getting some love. :)zyxe

Except now it seems no user content will be getting the front page? Maybe occasionally, but certainly not with any regularity. Like when E3, Gamescom, PAX, and any other convention rolls around, for instance, I'm guessing user content spotlighting will get slept on, if there are even times such content will get front-page featured. Major holidays and other "busy" days would also play a factor, I'd wager.

I'm hoping there's more change coming to the front page; change that doesn't completely eliminate user pieces.

Otherwise, GameSpot lost their one undeniable advantage against their competitors. Nowhere else can/could a regular gamer get such a spotlight. It would be a shame for that sentence to be true no longer.  

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zyxe  Moderator

Personally, I would hold off on any hopes for user-featured content at this time, with all of the off-the-wall changes that have occurred, in addition to the complete lack of communication, until the site redesign is rolled out. The real issue I see is that with the start of this union and what we were trying to accomplish (creating a group that helps foster better community writing and to get such features on the front page), the lack of communication and broken "promises" (E3 Chalk Talk not happening at all with no explanation, changes to AUB and GameSpotting that had no communication or direction and seem to keep changing), it may dry up and die and we could lose the talent we've seen here.

Nobody wants to work towards something with hopes of a reward only to learn later that there was never any chance to get it. And, unfortunately, the next time a change is rolled out, I can see how some people will feel it's simply a case of crying wolf; they won't take opportunities seriously, having been burned before with broken promises.

I would, however, urge all of you exceptional posters to stick with us all as these changes occur over the next few months. I know it's been tough; I have not received any communication myself, either, and have worked very hard to serve you all, and it has worn on me greatly. I'm personally very angry about the changes with the AUB with ZERO communication, even when I've asked what's going on because I'm supposed to be a part of it. But I'm going to stick around and do what I can with the inherent understanding that front page user content has no clear goal to users at this point, if only to help the community and foster an excitement about writing within our group.

I am, of course, moving to the east coast next week so will be VERY busy for a while, but rest assured, I'm here and am not going to simply quit, and AM reading your submissions even if I don't comment. I'll make a point to comment more even if I can't give a review. You guys have such interesting ideas that it would be hard to totally leave here anyway :)

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 benleslie5  Moderator
Might not be perfect but finished doing a blog based on Remixes on Music- How far music has come over the years on Remixes