DMethot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 DMethot
Member since 2006 • 408 Posts

For this topic, lets talk about the characters in any TM game that you hate for whatever reason. It could be that you hate the special, you hate the character, you just had a hard time beating them, or you just plain don't like them.

For me it was Spectre. Most people loved the car, a lot of people I played various TM games wiht would overwhelmingly choose Spectre over most other cars due to the balance, but I never liked the jerk because of two words. Ghost missles. Cheapest special ever. You don't even have to have an enemy in your sights and you can be sure that your missle hit someone, somewhere. Where's the skill involved. Sure the special isn't the most powerful special out there, but it can be effective in high doses. 

So lets hear it, who do you love to hate? 

MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MuddyMaestro
Member since 2009 • 10351 Posts

Gosh, that'll be a long list. First of all, I really disliked Hammerhead in almost all the Twisted Metal games, not as an opponent, but as a playable character. I've always considered Hammerhead to be the weakest character in the series, especially in Twisted Metal 2, with its Special that, if I remember correctly, was actually weaker than the normal ram, plus no stats over mediocre just made it a crappy character, and wasn't much fun to play. I'll admit the character usually did have the funniest storylines though. More coming your way soon!

gmans33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 gmans33
Member since 2004 • 552 Posts
I'd have to say the character I love to hate has to be Spectre from TM2. I typically played with the slower vehicles, so for me it was difficult to catch him. Also, his special was always annoying, especially on the hard difficulty. He'd pummel me with those damn ghost missiles and I could never get to him!
DMethot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DMethot
haha it didnt help that he was a pompous ass who wanted the world to see his face
RaaaJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 RaaaJon
Member since 2009 • 33 Posts
I'm gonna say Grasshopper from TM2 and TM: HO. For some reason I just hated her, but I still played as her .
gmans33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 gmans33
Member since 2004 • 552 Posts
Lol....well Spectre got what he wanted....and deserved!
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MuddyMaestro
Spectre's ending almost made up for it being a jerk in battle. Almost being the key word. :P
DMethot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DMethot
I was never a big fan about the ending to hammerhead in TM2. Sure those guys were idiots, but that is a legit wish for someone. Would I risk my life for it? No, but cool nonetheless.
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MuddyMaestro
I didn't like Mr. Slam's ending in TM2 either. The story was fine, but the wish is just not satisfying. It would have been a better wish if Simon Whittlebone asked for revenge against the company that fired him, or something along those lines. Plus, him falling off his own tower just seems over-irocic and is unbelievable, wouldn't there be rails or something? This might seem nit-picky, but at least I can appreciate the length of the clip, probably because it was the character most people would be beating the game with.
DMethot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DMethot
Yeah, it was pretty pathetic, as was Sweet Tooth's. Wanting to become a bug in a garden? I understand he's crazy and everything, but it was a pretty bad ending for an unlockable character.
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MuddyMaestro

Of course, I love Sweet Tooth, but I've always been back-and-forth on what kind of character he should be. He should definitely be a regular contender in the Twisted Metal competition, but I sorta liked the way he was portrayed in Twisted Metal 4 as being the "Big Daddy" of them all. I have found Sweet Tooth to be a all-around character in most games, an alright but not ideal choice, and if there's a character that should be on the higher end of the spectrum it should definitely be Sweet Tooth. I don't want to see Sweet Tooth as an unlockable character or boss, but I think as the main mascot he should be given a bit more respect relative to combat. Oops, that was totally off-topic, wasn't it?

DMethot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DMethot
The only problem with Sweet Tooth having jacked up stats without being an unlockable character is that everyone would use him because he would give them an advantage. Imagine having an online free for all match with 10 Sweet Tooth's? I'd go nuts. But your point is valid. He is the cover boy. He should be a little more flashy. Whether its having the best story, the best special, or a combination of both, he needs to be very memorable or the game wont be the success it should be.
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MuddyMaestro
And I certainly think that's possible, especially with an ice cream truck as a vehicle. He could have a jacked up special, but it's easy to weigh him back down with slugish handling. At least let him excel at one thing, instead of just being the all-around character. And with the amount of crappy stories they've given him, TMHO is leading Sweet Tooth's story in the right direction, and could be a very interesting story if some effort is put into it.
KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 KGKaiju
Member since 2010 • 861 Posts

There are the top 5 characters that I despised:

1) Roadkill: Whenever I was on the last thread of life, Roadkill would always come out of nowhere and nail me. 

2) Thumper: I could always depend on Thumper to come up behind me while I was fighting another character and flame me to death.

3) Mr Slamm: There is nothing more annoying than being frozen over and over again.  Once Slamm got his first freeze in on Hard, you may as well put the controller down.

4) Spectre:  No matter who was closest to him, I always seem to get tagged by his infamous ghost missiles.

5) Grasshopper:  Yee Haw!  Yee Haw!  LOL  That is so annoying. :P

DMethot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DMethot
I couldn't agree more with your list. I forgot roadkill. He really did have a knack for being just around the corner to finish you off when your health was low.
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MuddyMaestro
Well, most Roadkill fare scavengers, after all. :P One of the things that annoys the heck out of me is being frozen and pelted with CPU's endless Power Missles, or as KGKaiju mentioned in Mr. Slamm's case, constantly ramming you with his loader attack while frozen. Still, I never minded Mr. Slamm since ramming wasn't one of the most popular strategies amoung artificial intelligence, and as long as you kept your distance when battling against him, you'll be alright. And that's why Spectre is such a jerk, you're always vulnerable to him.
KGKaiju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KGKaiju
Member since 2010 • 861 Posts

I couldn't agree more with your list. I forgot roadkill. He really did have a knack for being just around the corner to finish you off when your health was low.DMethot

Indeed.  I actively seek him out to avoid being a target later on.  The bad thing is......you have to watch your back for other drivers......like Thumper.

Well, most Roadkill fare scavengers, after all. :P One of the things that annoys the heck out of me is being frozen and pelted with CPU's endless Power Missles, or as KGKaiju mentioned in Mr. Slamm's case, constantly ramming you with his loader attack while frozen. Still, I never minded Mr. Slamm since ramming wasn't one of the most popular strategies amoung artificial intelligence, and as long as you kept your distance when battling against him, you'll be alright. And that's why Spectre is such a jerk, you're always vulnerable to him.MudkipMaster30

With regard to Roadkill, that is a good point.  His car name is quite apt.

Mr. Slamm (thankfully) does have a tendency to miss with his special attack.....but those freezes....Yikes!

Spectre is fills his annoying role perfectly.....a fast car with weak armor and ghost missiles that is hard to track down at times.  I can't even tell you how many times a Spectre ghost missle has finished me off.  There are basic strategies for each board, but Spectre has the ability to nullify them all.  Sit in the pool at New York.......not with Spectre around.  What about the cage in L.A......forget about that.  Hide in one of the pyramids in Amazonia.....only if you like getting nailed by ghost missiles.  Spectre plays an important role as he forces gamers to leave their comfort zones.  I suppose that he is a necessary evil. :twisted:  

MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MuddyMaestro

Everybody says that having the largest armored car with a powerful special is always the best move. Not quite in Spectre's case. I will give him credit that he portrays the lightly armoured maneuverable car almost perfectly, in city levels like Paris, New York and Hong Kong he's a great strategic choice. However in Holland, he'd better watch out! :P

PSX-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#19 PSX-man
Member since 2007 • 417 Posts
Specter's special weapon in Twisted Metal one was a bit hard to get working, even though it's a homing missile.
raziellich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 raziellich
Member since 2006 • 572 Posts

Moonbuggy from TM4 trumps Spectre for me. How many times has that s.o.b. trapped me in his special move when I'm out of power and can't hyperspace out of it? I've lost count. Sweet Tooth has an even stronger version in that game.

Outside of TM4, I get most annoyed by Twister. As you can see, there is a pattern here. Any time a special makes it so I can't control my character, I go nuts. 

ewewewewewew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ewewewewewew
Member since 2009 • 771 Posts
i hate crazy 8 from twisted metal black,his car is just to weak.
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MuddyMaestro
I agree, even though Crazy 8 had a neat car design and a pretty neat storyline, his stats were certainly lacking. I didn't like his special either, it had enough power but having to keep within close proximity to your opponent left you very vulnerable, and that's not something you want with armor stats Crazy 8 has.
ewewewewewew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ewewewewewew
Member since 2009 • 771 Posts
crazy 8=worse car,and everyone knows it.
deimonds2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deimonds2
Member since 2010 • 129 Posts
I HATE hammerhead from TM3,TM2 and TM5-he is just SO weak....
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MuddyMaestro
Totally agree. I feel the special for Hammerhead in TM2 was a waste of at special, ramming using a different vehicle usually cause more damage, and every other stat it has is extremely weak. He was actually a rather intelligent AI player, especially since AI typically didn't take advantage of ramming, but as a playable character he is among the worst in the game. Still, the cars for the most part are pretty evenly weighted, so it's not impossible to get through Tournament mode with him, but I definitely never have.
jakek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jakek
Member since 2003 • 1473 Posts
i always hated playing as hammerhead. when youd lunge into people it barely hurt, and if it was a level you could fall off an edge, i always would. as far as playing against, Spectre. those damn ghost missiles. now when im playing as him i like it of course. crazy 8 was ok. everything was just average on his stats, which i kind of liked. his special was pretty devastating if you used the directionx3 boost
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MuddyMaestro

If you compare Mr. Slam to Hammerhead, you can see Hammerhead doesn't really need to be in the game. Mr Slam has better stats in almost everything, and a much better special that you can often use without actually using a Special.

And even playing as Spectre in most levels is a pain, mostly because of the distance glitch. Spectre is one you certainly don't want to be using close combat, and in levels like New York where his Ghost Missles are so useful, quite often you'll be too far away and no damage will register if it hits them or not. At least as long as you have a load of ricochet don't fly off the edge, it's not a really hard level anyways, but still I'd rather have more than two points of strength.

icecoldmarty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 icecoldmarty
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

I didn't care about Hammerhead until Twisted Metal: Head-On so that tells you that who ever was drving before that guy wasn't interesting to me.

I also never cared for Spectre even now there wasn't any worth talking about or at least that's what I think.

Most Warthog were soldiers that didn't interest me now Cage in Black was different he wanted to be a better killer than Sweet Tooth.

Time for the big one all but one character created by 989 Studios all suck pretty bad.

The only expection was Rob Zombie who was awesome and had the only good ending in TM4.