What if Nintendo ends up like Sega, would it be so bad?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Mario, Metroid and Zelda on the 360 and PS3?

The massive 3DS price cut two months after release revealed something about Nintendo: their magic wand is running low on power. Nintendo thought the system would sell itself, even without an impressive lineup of launch titles, but the market proved them horribly wrong: by now gamers want more than just another expensive gimmick: casual gamers are still happy with standard DS and core gamers want core titles... the games! The result? A large number of 3DS units remained unsold on the store shelves, which in turn led to software houses smelling failure and threatening to drop support for the system, forcing Nintendo to adopt drastic measures to save their day.

This happened before when Sega's hardware division went six feet under after the cold reception the Dreamcast got (again, due to lack of third party support). What happened to Sega, did it just die? No: they are now making quality software for other systems, like the Wii, DS, PS3, PSP and XBOX 360 (well, mostly quality software).

Now, I'm not saying Nintendo is in the same situation, but think about it: the value of Nintendo's shares has plummeted and shareholders are furious for their massive losses (Hiroshi yamauchi alone lost $300 million in one day!) should the Wii U receive the same cold treatment on the market as the 3DS it would most likely mean the end of Nintendo's hardware division like what happened with Sega.

Would this be the end of Nintendo? No! Like Sega they would still go on making quality games on other systems. The difference for us? None, except hardcore gamers would have to buy one less system and we'd be able to play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby and Donkey Kong on the same system as Halo, Gears of War, Uncharted, God of War and Killzone.

I'm not wishing disaster over Nintendo and I'm sure they'll stand back up after this 3DS mishap, but even if the worst should happen it wouldn't be all bad, all considered.

Your opinion on this?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I like Nintendo. They have done some things I don't agree with, like how they've handled the Starfox series, but overall, the Nintendo seal of quality still means something. I do think they need something more for the 3ds. Like that Boktai game.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

hmm, i think the internet and world would go crazy if that was to happen, nintendo needs the 3ds and wii-u to be an success because videogames are all they do, so even though i think nintendo needs to actually come up with some new games and stop re-hashing and giving sequels to all their first parties, i wanna see them do better

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
then i would have Mario on PS3/PS4
Piroshki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Piroshki
Member since 2011 • 242 Posts
I grew up on Nintendo. Some of my earliest games were on the NES, though I did fool around a little bit with Atari 2600 beforehand. It wasn't until Mario Brothers, Mega Man, Zelda, and especially Castlevania that I got serious about the hobby. (I know two of those are third party, but I strongly associate them with the NES since they started there) I've lost some of my enthusiasm for them as of late, and my Wii gets most of it's use for the Virtual Console, but at least a few times a year they manage to surprise me. If their games ended up on other systems, I'd still play them. What's important to me is that Nintendo games continue to be made, I don't care what system they get made on. Now, I have to say though, this is a pretty far fetched possibility. If they can survive the N64 and Virtual Boy, (I had one of those!) they can survive this current snag with the 3DS. I think that system is gonna pick up steam when they get more games for it. It's main problem right now is that it confuses the casual gamers, and lacks games to entice core gamers. OoT is a solid game, but it's been done.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Nintendo requires hardware control in order to force innovation via control mechanisms. It's their major competitive advantage, and if they lose it they won't be worth anything.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Black_Knight_00
If they can survive the N64 and Virtual Boy, (I had one of those!) they can survive this current snag with the 3DSPiroshki
The Virtual Boy was a fiasco, but the N64 was an outstanding success, it was only held back by cartridges, while CDs are the reason why the PS1 received more third party support, but still the N64 is one of the most succesful console Nintendo ever made
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#8 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Their quality would probably go down alot.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
I don't think Nintendo folding would immediately grant the current generations consoles those games. Maybe next generation or after that.
shadowfox55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shadowfox55
Member since 2007 • 1609 Posts

Personnally, I would love to see Nintendo being mainly software, where Smash Brothers online would maybe be better on other consoles. Also they can primarily focus on their other Ips and they don't have to do what they're doing to Star fox.

I love nintendo I don't want them to go away because they have some dang good franchises besides just mario, however hardware wise I think Nintendo needs to stop trying.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Black_Knight_00

I don't think Nintendo folding would immediately grant the current generations consoles those games. Maybe next generation or after that.CRS98
Next generation sounds good to me

Blazember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blazember
Member since 2010 • 108 Posts

Although I'm sure that it won't happen because they've gotten so much profit from the Wii and previous successes that they can afford to lose a bit here and there I wouldn't mind at all because we love Nintendo for the games. Their so-called innovative controls are just over-hyped and bad.

Look at the previous Nintendo systems that aren't DS and Wii, look how awesome and fun they were, and they had simple, done to death controls. We all loved our old school Nintendo games and system. The controls worked, and they don't need to be changed. Bringing Nintendo's games over to the other systems with better graphics, better online and overall more potential and capability would be amazing.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

Even after the steep drop in stock, Nintendo still has a lot of money and they are pushing the 3DS more strongly than ever before. I expect the 3DS to be a big seller this holiday season. Sega failed with the Dreamcast because of constant hardware releases and the hype of the PS2. Nintendo survived the N64, Gamecube, and Virtual Boy, they aren't down yet.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Ha! Not likely. Nintendo is so established and wealthy that they would have to release at least two consoles that failed horribly to even be in trouble. The 3DS is not a sign of things to come and Nintendo has nothing to worry about.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
wouldnt be a problem for me... they havnt been top of the food chain since the snes days (console wise) handhelds on the other end i love theirs.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

According to an old Steven Kent article I read, Sega's home division lost money most of its existence (makes sense given that their only popular console was the Genesis). Nintendo has hit a rough patch and I am as skeptical as anyone about their future prospects, but they're in the opposite position as Sega. Nintendo has made money almost every year and are they're sitting on a big pile of cash.

blaqphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 blaqphantom
Member since 2010 • 1829 Posts
overreacting TC is overracting.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Black_Knight_00

According to an old Steven Kent article I read, Sega's home division lost money most of its existence (makes sense given that their only popular console was the Genesis). Nintendo has hit a rough patch and I am as skeptical as anyone about their future prospects, but they're in the opposite position as Sega. Nintendo has made money almost every year and are they're sitting on a big pile of cash.

CarnageHeart
The problem is investors want you to keep the cash flowing in: once earnings become disappointing, they'll sell their shares to invest in something more lucrative. At that point it doesn't matter how much cash you're sitting on: without the investors you're out. You're right about Sega, the situation isn't exactly the same but if you think about it no console after the Genesis was succesful because the disastrous Genesis add-ons, Sega CD and 32X destroyed Sega's credibility. Nintendo already lost much of its own credibility with core gamers with the Wii: not many of us like what they did with it and I can quote many of my friends saying it is the last Nintendo console they'll buy (a rushed statement, but it encapsulates their feelings well). Nintendo must get it right with the Wii U (a name change would be a small but wise move to recapture the attention of the core audience) or they might be in deep
smbius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 1

#19 smbius
Member since 2002 • 1610 Posts

Nintendo would have to screw up really bad many times over before that were to happen. In any case, Nintendo would kill themselves first before becoming a software company. Those precious IPs (Zelda, Mario, Metroid) are only meant to be experienced on Nintendo's platforms. Every control, button, press, swipe, etc. are designed with Nintendo's hardware in mind.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Black_Knight_00

Nintendo would have to screw up really bad many times over before that were to happen. In any case, Nintendo would kill themselves first before becoming a software company. Those precious IPs (Zelda, Mario, Metroid) are only meant to be experienced on Nintendo's platforms. Every control, button, press, swipe, etc. are designed with Nintendo's hardware in mind.

smbius
Uless you count their major screw up which led to Zelda CDi and Hotel Mario
Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

I'd much prefer for one of the other systems to dissolve.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
They almost went bankrupt once.. but they are back and here now. They are not going away.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44558 Posts
they'd probably make more money being able to sell to MS and Sony's combined userbase and utilize their more powerful hardware
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

To me, the Wii U looks like a gigantic disaster just waiting to happen. I can see no purpose whatsoever for a second screen on the controller, but it will drive the cost up substantially. And Nintendo has made absolutely sure that no one except casual gamers are interested in their system any more, and almost none of those people are going to be willing to spend a large chunk of money on something that...what? Is finally capable of hi-def graphics, just like the PS3 and 360 have been for years now?

I imagine they've got some enormous sums of capital built up from sales of the Wii, which will carry them for quite some time. But yeah, their future ain't looking too bright in my opinion.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
I personally wouldn't be bothered. I've stopped caring for Nintendo ever since I realized Wii and DS are shovelware/gimmick magnets. Plus I hate Mario. The other franchise are alright though.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I'm not sure that will happen honestly. You still have a legion of die hard Nintendo fans who will buy anything with the brand name on it, and the casual appeal of the new system as well. However i'm not so sure the casual appeal will be enough to elevate them to first place next generation but we will see. Still not being first and going bankrupt are pretty different situations to be in. I would love for this to happen honestly, because the Wii U is looking like a complete disaster and it would be the only way id play any more Nintendo console games is to have them show up on real systems.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

You know what? I honestly don't care either way.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
On the one hand, more competition is always a good thing. I wouldn't want ANY of the "big three" console makers to go under. On the other hand, I absolutely despise the current social/casual gaming craze that EVERYONE seems to be doing, so maybe if Nintendo (who started the trend) was to go under as a result, the focus would shift back to core gamers once again. I'm so conflicted!
DARKNESSxEAGLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 DARKNESSxEAGLE
Member since 2010 • 489 Posts

Remember when the Gamecube didn't sell well so it resulted in Nintendo dying out? I don't.

To me, the Wii U looks like a gigantic disaster just waiting to happen. I can see no purpose whatsoever for a second screen on the controller, but it will drive the cost up substantially. And Nintendo has made absolutely sure that no one except casual gamers are interested in their system any more,

Jackc8

I'm a Nintendo fan boy and I can agree thus far. But I'll end up with it anyway.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I find it amazing how a single kink in Nintendo's armor and the doom-and-gloom starts. Nintendo is in the exact opposite position that SEGA was 10 years ago. They have good corporate leaders, a good business plan and a huge market and loyal following that is only growing. SEGA had horrible management (SEGA JP had no idea what SEGA NA was doing), no business plan (three competing consoles being supported at once) and a dwindling market and following. The only reason the 3DS is doing poorly is because 1) Nintendo did not do enough to differentiate between it and the previous models, and 2) they relied on third-party developers to step up and release quality games at launch. As soon as the price drop hits, and the Nintendo first-party lineup drops this Christmas, it will do MUCH better (and people seem to so conveniently forget that the 3DS is already more successful than the original DS in its first year).
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Black_Knight_00
I find it amazing how a single kink in Nintendo's armor and the doom-and-gloom starts.Zeviander
A kink? This is a huge gash in the armor. If the 3DS is proportionally more successful than the DS, why did Nintendo wake up screaming about it?
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#32 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

Their quality would probably go down alot.

turtlethetaffer
All that needs to be said really. It's one of the reasons why I think Nintendo is just better off leaving gaming before they go third party.
thedemon44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33 thedemon44
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

Mario, Metroid and Zelda on the 360 and PS3?

The massive 3DS price cut two months after release revealed something about Nintendo: their magic wand is running low on power. Nintendo thought the system would sell itself, even without an impressive lineup of launch titles, but the market proved them horribly wrong: by now gamers want more than just another expensive gimmick: casual gamers are still happy with standard DS and core gamers want core titles... the games! The result? A large number of 3DS units remained unsold on the store shelves, which in turn led to software houses smelling failure and threatening to drop support for the system, forcing Nintendo to adopt drastic measures to save their day.

This happened before when Sega's hardware division went six feet under after the cold reception the Dreamcast got (again, due to lack of third party support). What happened to Sega, did it just die? No: they are now making quality software for other systems, like the Wii, DS, PS3, PSP and XBOX 360 (well, mostly quality software).

Now, I'm not saying Nintendo is in the same situation, but think about it: the value of Nintendo's shares has plummeted and shareholders are furious for their massive losses (Hiroshi yamauchi alone lost $300 million in one day!) should the Wii U receive the same cold treatment on the market as the 3DS it would most likely mean the end of Nintendo's hardware division like what happened with Sega.

Would this be the end of Nintendo? No! Like Sega they would still go on making quality games on other systems. The difference for us? None, except hardcore gamers would have to buy one less system and we'd be able to play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby and Donkey Kong on the same system as Halo, Gears of War, Uncharted, God of War and Killzone.

I'm not wishing disaster over Nintendo and I'm sure they'll stand back up after this 3DS mishap, but even if the worst should happen it wouldn't be all bad, all considered.

Your opinion on this?

Black_Knight_00

I like your thinking.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts
their withdrawl from the hardware market would be a complete disaster. then we would be just left with 2 consoles that are basically the same. that would be a tragedy. if someone had to withdraw and go 3rd party then i much prefer to see MS or sony go (though i dont want anyone out. MS and sony need to keep each other in check and ninty need to keep up the crazy). at least we would still have a PS3/360 type console and whoever leaves can work on that and any other platform. but nintys withdrawl would be a disaster. they are unique and to lose that would be dreadful. sega also dont put out much in the way of quality now. except for total war (which they just bought in) they are just a shadow of their former selves.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#35 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

overreacting TC is overracting.blaqphantom

I agree with this. Nintendo's in a slump after reporting profits again and again...so all of a sudden they're about to go the way of Sega? One loss isn't going to put them into panic mode. Maybe if they have repeated losses, sure, but we're not there yet.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#36 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
like many I like Nintendo's Franchises a lot, they are enough t keep systems running, but I haven't been a big fan of their hardware sine the GC so yeah I would like Nintendo to go software only. .
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
Nintendo has been around for more than 120 year, it has lived through far worse situations than what it is facing now. People are overreacting, if there is a company that has learned to adapt over the years is big N. They are not going 3rd party any time soon.
Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

If Nintendo fails even harder, i'd sell my customized souped-up 3DS for a new PS-Vita.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

It would be bad. People would lose their jobs, major changes could happen to Nintendo's key franchises; changes that could destory the franchise, there will be a major quality drop in their games (Im specifically talking about games that they make, not the games that they simply publish), and apple would take their place. I DO NOT want that.

Personally, Im going to be one of those people that believes Nintendo has just hit a bump in the road and nothing major such as dropping out of the console race will happen any time soon.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
A kink? This is a huge gash in the armor. If the 3DS is proportionally more successful than the DS, why did Nintendo wake up screaming about it?Black_Knight_00
You heavily exaggerate the 3DS's "failure." What screaming have Nintendo been doing exactly? The big-wigs have taken pay-cuts in order to allow for a significant preemptive price drop (rather than drop the price after it fails completely, they have decided to do some damage control to make up for their misstep). You seem to think that just because the 3DS isn't a smash-hit (like I already said, the original DS did much worse in its first year, and people were prophecising Nintendo's "death" then too). If anything, I would expect people to take the Sony Vita's pushing into 2012 and the less-than-stellar launch lineup as Sony's "doom" in the handheld market... just like their PS3 "doom" in 2006/2007. Why would it be beneficial for Nintendo to give up on hardware when they have very sound business strategy (that until the 3DS has been profitable), and CEO's willing to take pay-cuts in order to help save a project from absolute failure? This seems more like a desire to see Nintendo fail so your favoured company can succeed, rather than actual concern for their business and the thousands of jobs they could be out if they do go under and have to cut the hardware division.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]You heavily exaggerate the 3DS's "failure." What screaming have Nintendo been doing exactly? The big-wigs have taken pay-cuts in order to allow for a significant preemptive price drop (rather than drop the price after it fails completely, they have decided to do some damage control to make up for their misstep). You seem to think that just because the 3DS isn't a smash-hit (like I already said, the original DS did much worse in its first year, and people were prophecising Nintendo's "death" then too). If anything, I would expect people to take the Sony Vita's pushing into 2012 and the less-than-stellar launch lineup as Sony's "doom" in the handheld market... just like their PS3 "doom" in 2006/2007. Why would it be beneficial for Nintendo to give up on hardware when they have very sound business strategy (that until the 3DS has been profitable), and CEO's willing to take pay-cuts in order to help save a project from absolute failure? This seems more like a desire to see Nintendo fail so your favoured company can succeed, rather than actual concern for their business and the thousands of jobs they could be out if they do go under and have to cut the hardware division.

Ironically, my 'favoured company' has been Nintendo for about 20 years, up until Yamauchi stepped down and Iwata took over, which kicked off Nintendo's new policy of selling out to the casual audience and giving the finger to the core fans. The result? Now I don't have a 'favoured company' anymore. I'm just annoyed to see one of my Top 5 favorite series, Zelda, still running on last-gen hardware with waggle controls instead of machines using alien technology such as 1080p HD, hard drives and bluray, which are still unexplored ground for Nintendo. Go ahead, remind me that Reggie said the Wii U (whatever it actually is, do they even know?) will be on par with the PS3, but then I'll remind you the PS4 will be around relatively soon and then Nintendo will once again be one step behind, once again stuck in last-gen territory. Am I tired of buying 3 consoles every few years in order to play all the exclusives? Yes. Am I wishing for Nintendo to crack and thousands of employees losing their jobs? No. But it is the law of competition: Nintendo got away with last-gen equipment like the Wii and DS because the casual audience rushed out to buy the new sparkly gimmick, but now the novelty may have faded and what will they do? Will they come back crawling to us core gamers? Might be a bit late for that. I don't know how you interpret a massive $70 price cut two months (two months!) after release and the 50% salary cut for executives, but I see it as a red-alert emergency measure and I don't recall that happening with the original DS. It's a desperate manouver to avoid another Virtual Boy debacle that would steer investors clear of their shares and cause irreparable damage