Uziel126

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Uziel126
Member since 2006 • 2994 Posts

I've been wondering- as a writer, do you prefer to use standardized characters and build upon current stereotyped images, do you take them and remake a new image of them, or do you go the whole hog and create a new set of species entirely?

For example, in case you haven't quite understood, let's say you're writing a fantasy story. The plot calls for a character well versed in magic. If you were a 'classic' author, you'd take a druid or a wizard and cast them as the 'good' character. If you were less orthodox, you would take a priest and put him in the role of an evil character. (although come to think of it, that's becoming more the rule in modern writings...) If you were the completely insane, brimming with creativity kind, you'd create a group of tribal S'ilRakash, who practice the dark art of Compehertu and make them fight for the hero who happens to be the FulRosh Amun. (only you make it sound cool)

Personally, I prefer to stick with the classic forms, like elf, dwarf, orc, black is black, white is white.

EndlessGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 EndlessGame
Member since 2006 • 912 Posts

Well, I don't generally have any names as complicated as those. :lol:   While I stick to basic races such elves, dwarves, etc. I don't always draw a clear line between good and evil.   One of my characters, on an RP board, is the image of purity.   He's extremely powerful and fights with all his heart to banish evil from the world, using massive amounts of light magic and the greatest weapons available to a light spellcaster.   But he's also had a spirit embedded in his body, that when released, turns him in completely the opposite direction. (His gold clothes change black and everything)   And he becomes extremely evil and kills everybody. 8)

I think it all depends on the story for deciding which is better.   I medieval fantasy writing, it's very easy to draw a clear line between good and evil by making some of the characters virtual saints and the others spawns of satan but it can be done other ways as well.   In modern/futuristic fantasy, technology seems to take a side of its own, neither good nor evil, and that presents a lot of room for characters changing over.

In the way of creating races of scratch and stuff, I can never actually get around to drawing out such a complex plan for my characters. (Although the rewards are massive, if you can get a world as deep and creative as say, LoTR, then you're on your way!)   Maybe it's because I switch between projects too often, but I tend to take "cookie-cutter" races etc. for my characters and then develope them as individual people in order to distinguish them from others.

EtherTwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 EtherTwilight
Member since 2005 • 1142 Posts

Interestingly enough, I am trying to write a fantasy-ish story.

So far, I'm using only humans, although there's a reason for this.  I suppose I'm also sticking fairly close to a typical archetype, although since I'm working on only the rough draft this is unsurprising, but I have rather large intentions to create a much more "realistic" world, but hopefully one that is also fresh.  Outside of the primary characters, there are "monsters," as it were, and I like my idea, but it's a matter of making it a "good" idea as opposed to "Ghosts?  Why isn't he just using goblins?"

There's also magic, of course, but it isn't magic per se.  I'm trying to develop a system that's reliant upon the binds of the world that I'm creating, in a way that, again, seems fresh while being likened to something that people are familiar with, while at the same time creating limitations for it

You also mentioned black is black, and white is white.  While the subject matter currently being discussed (fantasy) is mostly about that good versus evil ideal, I want to create something a little more vibrant than that, with some moral ambiguity, such as exists in our world.  Something along the lines of how the Crusades, at the time, may have seemed like spreading the good and grace of God across the land, whereas in reality, it was just the wanton slaughter of innocents. 

Hrm.  I'm straying from the question, and am merely musing to myself, I think.  I'd say that as per know, my most ambitious project that I've ever attempted is a combination of both, although I hope to have a world that's much more original than it's initial impression of classic archetypes.Â