Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Sparky-05
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts
Howdy, you reading a book you'd like to discuss? Got a recommendation for other users? Well post it here.

I for one finished Shogun (A Novel of Japan) by James Clavelle (sp?) a fews day ago and loved it. Its a fairly long book, about 1200 pages or so, but a good read none the less. I recommend that to all of you.

Also, I started reading The Client by John Grisham on Friday and it is a very good book. Last night I picked up my DS, played about 5 minutes and decided that I wanted to read my book. In just a few days I have gone through 300 some pages of that book and I can't wait to read more. It is a solid book to which I recommend to anyone.

Please note that this topic is not for off-topic conversation. If you post, you are to talk about books, if not, your post will be deleted without notification. Good day to ya'll.
Platyphyllum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 Platyphyllum
Member since 2005 • 8105 Posts
I just read Book 13: The End of the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" series and I'm loving it so far! I do recommend you read all the previous 12 entries in the series first because if you don't, then Book 13 will make nearly no sense to you.
KeybladeMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 KeybladeMasta
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts
I just finished reading Eragon and found it surprisingly good. I have seen schoolmates reading it, but never truly had the care to, until now. Let me tell you, IT IS AWESOME! But the movie sucked, badly. Don't waste your $$ on it.
Avatar image for 215278190490370409088520790582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 215278190490370409088520790582
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts

My fav books are............

Holes

Tale of Despereaux

Fahrenheit 451

Inkheart

The Analects :D

Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sparky-05

HolesTheGamemannn

Holes was a great book, I loved it. Read it 4 years ago or something like that, really good book ... I'd recommend it to almost anyone.
irmeleeman5995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 irmeleeman5995
Member since 2005 • 2484 Posts
I just finished reading Eragon and found it surprisingly good. I have seen schoolmates reading it, but never truly had the care to, until now. Let me tell you, IT IS AWESOME! But the movie sucked, badly. Don't waste your $$ on it.KeybladeMasta
Definitely one of my favorite books ever.
irmeleeman5995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 irmeleeman5995
Member since 2005 • 2484 Posts
[QUOTE="TheGamemannn"]

HolesSparky-05

Holes was a great book, I loved it. Read it 4 years ago or something like that, really good book ... I'd recommend it to almost anyone.

QFT
OddballTECH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#8 OddballTECH
Member since 2005 • 7902 Posts

Nightfall BY Isaac Asimov

Nightfall takes place on the planet Kalgash, a planet full of mysteries.  Although it is a world much like ours, it is in no way related to planet Earth.  We are used to experiencing 1 sun.  As the sun rises, we experience daytime, and when it sets: night.  On Kalgash however, they have 6 suns, Dovim, Trey, Patru, Tano, Sitha, and Onos.  They do not experience nighttime on Kalgash.  The closest they ever come to darkness is when their least bright sun, Dovim, casts its dim red light on the planet.  Even Dovim-only days are rare.

At the beginning of the story, you meet Siferra 89, an beautiful archaeologist from Saro University.  She is conducting an excavation at a site known as Beklimot.  Bekilmot was noce thought to be the oldest site on the planet; archaeologists have yet to find an older dig site.  That is, until now.

A violent sandstorm erupts around the site, and Siferra decides to take cover in a cave-like structure with some of her other co-workers.  It is the most violent sandstorm she has ever experienced, but it is soon over.  As she emerges, she sees that most of the top soil and sand has been carried away by the violent force of the wind.  Then she sees a stunning sight; the Hill of Thombo is cracked right down the middle.

The Hill of Thombo was thought of as an insignificant dig site; a place where the ancient civilizations might have piled their waste materials.  Taking a closer look, Siferra discovers something amazing.  There are charcoal lines in the layers of the hill, and they go back several thousand years.  Each layer almost seems as if it flourished for a time, and then was destroyed by a catastrophic fire.  What could this possibly mean?

Meanwhile, a psychologist named Sheerin is on his way to visit a patient at a mental institution.  This man went on a ride through a new attraction, called "The Tunnel of Mystery."  This tunnel puts its riders through 15 straight minutes of darkness.  This man was terribly affected by the darkness, along with some other people.  One person even died on the ride.  As Sheerin speaks to the man, he almost seems afraid to even look out of the window, fearing that there will be darkness out there.  Sheerin studies him carefully, and then moves on to some other patients.

After meeting with a few patients who went crazy from their ride in the tunnel, Sheerin feels that he must experience the tunnel for himself.  So he heads up North with two other workers.  By the time he gets there, people stare at him, thinking "Why does he get to go on the ride and not us?"  The ride was temporarily closed until further examination.  Sheerin proceeds into the mouth of the tunnel.  Before he climbs into the car, he is given a button that will cancel the ride, turning all the lights on.  He feels that he probably wont need it, but takes it anyway.

Beginning his ride into the void of darkness, he feels calm at first.  but after a while, he begins to feel uneasy.  The darkness gives him a sort of claustrophobic feeling, like the walls are closing in on him.  He almost wants to press the button, but then hesitates.  Sheerin feels that he is a storng-minded man with enough will to overcome this darkness alone, and without the help of the button.  So he hurls the button into the darkness, refusing to use it.  The remainder of time goes roughly for him.  He spends the time counting the seconds until the ride is over.  He thinks to himself, "Is the ride over yet. How much time do I have left, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, or maybe 10 minutes.  What if the ride has stopped, why did I throw that button?"

Soon, the intense ride is over.  Sheerin's eyes adjust to the light, and although he is shaken, he is alright.  He tells the two men that the ride is definetly frightening, and he could see how it could possibly cause some harmful effects.  "The ride must be closed." He says.  So the ride is closed under his order.

Saro University: A young scientist named Beenay 25 is experimenting with the school's new computer systems.  They are designed for simulating various planetary movements.  So just to test it out, he punches in the Law of Universal Gravitation, a well respected law created the Athor, head of the University Science Department.  But then, to Beenay's dismay, the model doesn't work.  He figures that he must have typed in something worng, or that there is a flaw in the computer.  So he checks his calculations, and tries some other laws, but everything seems to be right.  Could Athor's famous law really be wrong after all?  Beenay decides to get some assistance from 2 university students named Faro and Yimot.  They are very bright, and he figures that if he gives them the data without telling them what it is, they will probably use different methods of calculation.  That way, he could be sure that he is wrong.  He wants to be wrong in a way, because breaking the Law of Universal Gravitation could destroy Athor's confidence.  It would also cause some strange effects on Kalgash.

Beenay then proceeds to go to a meeting at the University Observatory.  He would much rather spend time with his partner, Raissta, but he feels that he needs to figure out what he has stumbled upon.  However, he does agree to come back to her right after he is finished.

It is very late, and Beenay is just arriving at the Observatory.  Faro and Yimot are already there, and they show them their calculations.  They are the same as Beenay's!  He asks them if they are sure that they checked every step thoroughly, and they were sure.  Beenay looked at the data and the calculations, and everything seemed to be right.  This is something amazing!  Beenay then calls his friend from the Saro City Chronicle, and sets up a meeting at the Six Suns, which is a local bar.  He tells his friend, Theremon 762, that he needs to meet with him right away.

stubby_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 stubby_01
Member since 2005 • 2731 Posts
The only books I've read lately are Harry Potter ones :S

They're not that bad really, not as bad as some people may think
Avatar image for atomsmasher1313
atomsmasher1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 atomsmasher1313
Member since 2006 • 163 Posts
[QUOTE="KeybladeMasta"]I just finished reading Eragon and found it surprisingly good. I have seen schoolmates reading it, but never truly had the care to, until now. Let me tell you, IT IS AWESOME! But the movie sucked, badly. Don't waste your $$ on it.irmeleeman5995
Definitely one of my favorite books ever.

amen
Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sparky-05
Anyone read any good books as of late? I'm about 200 pages off the end of Stephen King's The Talisman. A really good book, not for the easy distrubed, if you know what I mean, and of course you don't and I'm not going to explain myself :P
Avatar image for atomsmasher1313
atomsmasher1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 atomsmasher1313
Member since 2006 • 163 Posts
i just finished up Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card, who is a phenomenal sci-fi writer.  
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#13 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
I've been reading Diamonds are forever. I thought it has a good plot, but some of the stuff at Saratoga was a bit boring to me. The action was great, however. I just wish it cam a little bit faster.
Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sparky-05
I've been reading Diamonds are forever. I thought it has a good plot, but some of the stuff at Saratoga was a bit boring to me. The action was great, however. I just wish it cam a little bit faster.BuryMe

Whose it by?
Shuramon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shuramon
Member since 2006 • 5619 Posts
im still in high school so im reading all those required books, otherwise im more of a writer, but i'd have to say i like catch-22....its a good read. so is catcher in the rye.
Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sparky-05
im still in high school so im reading all those required books, otherwise im more of a writer, but i'd have to say i like catch-22....its a good read. so is catcher in the rye.Shuramon

I know those, we are about to read how to kill a mocking bird. Lat year we read Lord of the Flies. They aren't bad books, but the whole school thing ruins them :(
Rrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rrael
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Just finished reading the entire "Song of Fire and Ice" series by George R.R. Martin, and it was absolutely spectacular. I'd heard a lot about it and finally decided to pick them up... they are incredibly epic and the story is great. Not for everyone though, very dark and violent, lots of war, backstabbing, treason, sex, rape, etc, etc. Certainly a must have for serious fantasy genre fans.

Reading the Myst series again currently, and looking for new books while I wait for sequels to some of my favorites.

Rintaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Rintaran
Member since 2007 • 195 Posts
Working my way through Erik Davis' Techgnosis. So far it's been a fantastic read. Not a piece of fiction, so much as philosophy in regards to myth, mysticism and technology. Definitely worth the read if you can translate the jargon.
Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sparky-05
Working my way through Erik Davis' Techgnosis. So far it's been a fantastic read. Not a piece of fiction, so much as philosophy in regards to myth, mysticism and technology. Definitely worth the read if you can translate the jargon.Rintaran

Sounds interesting, I'm going to check it out when I finish my backlog

Current:
The Talisman by Stephen King

To Read:
A Prayer for Owen Meany
Darkness Falls
Avatar image for The1-thtgotaway
The1-thtgotaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 The1-thtgotaway
Member since 2006 • 5853 Posts
I just finishing "Brother Odd" by Dean Koontz, it was a good book, it's the third book which goes in this sequence (Odd Thomas, Forever Odd, and Brother Odd) real good books. I'm in the process of reading "Deception Point" by Dan Brown (known for his book "the da vinci code" and "Angels & Demons")
Miannucci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Miannucci
Member since 2004 • 73 Posts
I just finished Darkfall by Dean Koontz.  It's very good and his writing style pulls you into the story
Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sparky-05
I just finished Darkfall by Dean Koontz. It's very good and his writing style pulls you into the storyMiannucci

Hmm, I can't say that I know that title. What is it about?
SonicDivision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 SonicDivision
Member since 2007 • 185 Posts

A confederacy of Dunces by J.K. Toole is the best book ever written.

The Bible is pretty good too, from a literary standpoint (I'm not a religious man).

For those interested in poetry, I recommend Adrian Mitchell and Giacomo Leopardi.  

I domt reccmend Poe; he's already been killed by the millions of goth tweens who idolize him. 

EtherTwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 EtherTwilight
Member since 2005 • 1142 Posts

[QUOTE="Miannucci"]I just finished Darkfall by Dean Koontz. It's very good and his writing style pulls you into the storySparky-05

There have been a series of murders in New York where the victims are found dead in locations with no seemingly possible escape route from the scene of the crime - e.g., in the instance that the beginning of the book involves, the murder victim is found dead in a bathroom with the door locked, and window closed (also locked from the inside?...I don't remember, been like seven years since I read it) - and the plot follows from there.

The book mostly chronicles Jack, a New York city police officer who's investigating the crimes.  Strange things start happening to himself and at his home, beginning to affect his family, and it quickly becomes apparrent that there's much more to these crimes than meets the eye... 

It's certainly an entertaining read, as it's more a mix of Koontz's human and supernatural characters and situations, with a few differing and interest plot ideas. If you're at all a fan of Koontz, it's definitely worth a read, but he has better books - Namely False Memory, Watchers, or in my opinion his crowning achievement, Phantoms.

Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sparky-05

[QUOTE="Sparky-05"][QUOTE="Miannucci"]I just finished Darkfall by Dean Koontz. It's very good and his writing style pulls you into the storyEtherTwilight

There have been a series of murders in New York where the victims are found dead in locations with no seemingly possible escape route from the scene of the crime - e.g., in the instance that the beginning of the book involves, the murder victim is found dead in a bathroom with the door locked, and window closed (also locked from the inside?...I don't remember, been like seven years since I read it) - and the plot follows from there.

The book mostly chronicles Jack, a New York city police officer who's investigating the crimes. Strange things start happening to himself and at his home, beginning to affect his family, and it quickly becomes apparrent that there's much more to these crimes than meets the eye...

It's certainly an entertaining read, as it's more a mix of Koontz's human and supernatural characters and situations, with a few differing and interest plot ideas. If you're at all a fan of Koontz, it's definitely worth a read, but he has better books - Namely False Memory, Watchers, or in my opinion his crowning achievement, Phantoms.

Sounds good, I think that I'll dig up a copy soon.

Devoo55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 Devoo55
Member since 2007 • 3006 Posts
I recomend The Hobbit. Great adventure right there.
NejiKusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NejiKusa
Member since 2007 • 4454 Posts

Anyone read any good books as of late? I'm about 200 pages off the end of Stephen King's The Talisman. A really good book, not for the easy distrubed, if you know what I mean, and of course you don't and I'm not going to explain myself :PSparky-05

I have seen the terrorist beheadings and it didnt phase me, tell me the book.

Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sparky-05

[QUOTE="Sparky-05"]Anyone read any good books as of late? I'm about 200 pages off the end of Stephen King's The Talisman. A really good book, not for the easy distrubed, if you know what I mean, and of course you don't and I'm not going to explain myself :PNejiKusa

Theres just a lot of gay stuff, like guys grabbing boys balls and stuff ... it bugs the hell out of me ... just scares me ... like uhh ... why are you constantly talking about his balls? At points it seems the conversation goes on for pages at a time ... like grr :( 

EtherTwilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 EtherTwilight
Member since 2005 • 1142 Posts

Theres just a lot of gay stuff, like guys grabbing boys balls and stuff ... it bugs the hell out of me ... just scares me ... like uhh ... why are you constantly talking about his balls? At points it seems the conversation goes on for pages at a time ... like grr :( Sparky-05

Yeah, because Stephen King rambling about absolutely nothing for pages and pages and pages on end is something out of the ordinary for him. :roll:

:P 

Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sparky-05

[QUOTE="Sparky-05"]Theres just a lot of gay stuff, like guys grabbing boys balls and stuff ... it bugs the hell out of me ... just scares me ... like uhh ... why are you constantly talking about his balls? At points it seems the conversation goes on for pages at a time ... like grr :( EtherTwilight

Yeah, because Stephen King rambling about absolutely nothing for pages and pages and pages on end is something out of the ordinary for him. :roll:

:P

Lol. I don't mind him rambling, I just don't like hime rambling about the characters ten year old balls ... it bugs me.  

EndlessGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 EndlessGame
Member since 2006 • 912 Posts

I've been reading the Seven Keys of the Kingdom series by Garth Nix.   They're really good.   Each book is based on a different day of the week, where a different entity in the "House" (which is the center of the universe) has power.   Basically, the protagonist, Arthur, has to stop each one of these entities.   I've read Monday through Thursday, and have got Friday but have yet to read it.   (Each day of the week has a title as well, like Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday, Drowned Wednesday, Sir Thursday, Lady Friday)   Saturday and Sunday haven't been written yet but I can't wait for them to come out.   I'm not sure what Saturday's title is, but I know Sunday's is Lord Sunday.

Also, as others have said, the Eragon books are awesome.   Eldest was a great continuation and I eagerly await the third in the trilogy.   The next Harry Potter book (Deathly Hallows) is coming out soon, gotta read that too.   I also recommend the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix.   It's a really unique storyline and its expressed very well, with powerful characters and good writing.  (Plus Garth Nix is a cool name. :D )

NejiKusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NejiKusa
Member since 2007 • 4454 Posts
[QUOTE="NejiKusa"]

[QUOTE="Sparky-05"]Anyone read any good books as of late? I'm about 200 pages off the end of Stephen King's The Talisman. A really good book, not for the easy distrubed, if you know what I mean, and of course you don't and I'm not going to explain myself :PSparky-05

Theres just a lot of gay stuff, like guys grabbing boys balls and stuff ... it bugs the hell out of me ... just scares me ... like uhh ... why are you constantly talking about his balls? At points it seems the conversation goes on for pages at a time ... like grr :( 

Sounds like my school locker room...

Uziel126

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Uziel126
Member since 2006 • 2994 Posts

I read a lot, mostly fantasy and sci-fi... Used to read mysteries, but I got bored of them... Although Agatha Christie was quite good...

There are two authors in the fantasy genre I admire, Raymond E. Feist and Terry Brooks, Feist for his Riftwar saga, and Brooks for the Shannara and Landover series. If you have the patience to go through a lot of pages, Robert Jordan's not too bad, and if you love Tolkien, Stephen Donaldson is almost as good.

just4yoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 just4yoshi
Member since 2003 • 5621 Posts

Donaldson is pretty good. I like his Thomas Covenant series. I have the first two trios.

Has anyone read The Circle trilogy by Ted Dekker?