Wulf's random questions while looking at GoW data files.

• 91 results
Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Wulf2K
Member since 2009 • 243 Posts

Anybody know anything about the spear (not javelin) in single player?  They've got all the files there so it looks like it should be fully functional, just never given to any enemies to drop.  Something they showed off in any of the previews and ripped out?

MustafaEl-Deeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 MustafaEl-Deeb
Member since 2013 • 786 Posts

>Javelin

Do you play the CoD series?

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Wulf2K
No, they embody all that is wrong with gaming.
MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MrStarkiller
Member since 2008 • 18984 Posts

Wulf: >Spear in SP

We were supposed to be able to use the MP Champion in SP with all the gear and against alternate foe layouts (versus what Kratos dealt with).  It was to be called "NG+1".  It didn't make it into the game.  Instead that was just used for TotG so as not to scrap the work for having MP Champions face off against SP AI foes.

>all that is wrong

I'm having a hard time thinking of things it misses in regards to the plagues of modern vidya.

Deeb:>play CoD

I should hope not.  For FPS of this sort, regarding MP, Battlefield (older versions) would likely be preferable.  Better still, Counter-Strike and Half-Life (mods).  For SP, I suppose it would be fine as far as those sorts of shooters go.  I'd sooner pick older FPS.  Among more recent cases, I suppose R:FoM was pretty good (got worse with new entries in a lot of ways).  For TPS, Gears seems okay.  Lots of games that dabble with TPS (cover) aspects while not being 'proper shooters' that can be noted as good (even great).  Vanquish was easily top among these dogs (largely due to my love of Action and the delivery it had on that front).  Either of you play that title?  It's cheap now (free for PSN+ chappies)..

MustafaEl-Deeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MustafaEl-Deeb

>SP

Second Person?

>Play it

No, but I used to for only three weeks. My bro plays it.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrStarkiller

>Second Person

Single Player.

>used it

How did that work out for you?

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wulf2K

Random note, replacing the Docks of Athens level file in GoW1 with the final level file causes you to fall past some neat looking things after you climb up the ship's ladder.  I think some day I'll play around with the swimming glitch and replace some loading triggers' targets with areas that would be neat to explore.

Update:  Satvara's method of swimming glitch turns out to be kinda hard.  I decided to replace the area loaded after the minotaur fight with the Challenge 10 map which gives me MAX Athena's Blades, level 1 Blade of Artemis, and Poseidon's Trident.  Swimming glitch is easy to trigger after that and there's a convenient save point by a loading trigger in the boat. Probably won't get much time to play around tonight, but should be able to do some exploring tomorrow.   ....Gonna ignore GoWA for now  

Re-Update:  ...Can't climb the ladder out of the boat while swimming, right....

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrStarkiller

>modifying the game

I wonder if a rogue moderator would consider that illegal activity.

>kinda hard

Noticed that, did you?

>MAX Athena's Blades

They're always MAX'd.  Why not try out a NG+ run?  You able to get the BotG outside the Ares2 fight without losing the ability to climb, jump properly, use the Blades, use magic, etc.?  Previous 'hackers' only managed NG+ without showing off how neat it could be to have Artemis early, use AoH (without just having infinite MP), etc.

>ignore GoW:A for now

As it is with me.

>can't climb the ladder while swimming

Pity, yes?

So, how aobut tricking the game into allowing costumes on VH?  Default Kratos loading up as Tycoonius, for instance.  Using that, potentially letting the game give you 20x collision damage to play with.  Something you're able to do?

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wulf2K

> consider that illegal activity.

I own the disk, I own the PS3, and I'm not on PSN.  Whatever will be, will be.

> BotG outside the Ares2 fight

Still in the early stages of messing around with things, but based on the way the Challenge level overwrote my BoC with BoA it just might work.

> without losing the ability to climb, jump properly, use the Blades, use magic, etc.? 

Wouldn't want to guess at that just yet.

> without showing off how neat it could be to have Artemis early, use AoH (without just having infinite MP), etc.

Any specific requests for when I have more time to mess with it?

> aobut tricking the game into allowing costumes on VH?  Something you're able to do?

There are 6 "hero" files.  How many costumes are there again?  I'm thinking it might be pretty simple if that's a 1:1 ratio.

MustafaEl-Deeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MustafaEl-Deeb

>How did it go?

I was f***** for the first two weeks but the third week, things got better. Then while looking into a vid of GoW, I decided to quite this game also for other reasons.

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wulf2K
Any damage values for the Blades of Athena?
MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrStarkiller

>will be will be

They don't care.  GS and GFAQs are goofy about this policy.  Talk of modding, emulation or anything of the sort gets them in a tiff.  But it shouldn't matter so long as no rogue moderator turns up nor a flag is set.

>just might work

Do you think the consequence will be that you get BotG in the 'mode' it puts you in and that alone?  Issues with HP, no MP, no magic, no relics, no Artemis (having BotG just 'replace' it would be great, but too neat a fix), no Blades, bad jump, etc.  That sort of stuff is what I sort of expect from just rigging the game to let you be the Kratos that wields BotG (as if it were a "mode").  Having it simply take the place of Artemis when you use Sword Summon (with all the BotG moves *even if it means dealing with the crappy jump while active*) would be fabulous.  More so with RotG active to give it 2x damage.

>wouldn't want to guess at that

What's the harm in the guess?  Not a fan of speculation?

>specific requests

Using things you shouldn't have yet exclusively where you shouldn't have them pretty well covers most of what I could note.  That would include costumes (on VH).  Being that you said specific, Tycoonius with BotG.  Good luck if BotG is a 'mode' (if you can get it working).  Unlikely you'll get many glitch grabs allowing collisions like that...but the air t0 may have knockback (0 damage for a half collision that would be at 100 damage rather than 50) if it lands on normal foes.  That would be delightful.

BotG would otherwise be far too strong (even on VH *but with Tycoonius it would be absurd unless you temper it with Dairy Bastard to make collisions take a sad dive too).  One weakness it would have is the same as Artemis.  Even with RotG, you CANNOT break shields with it.

If it were a mode, you would have to skip Magic Legionnaires.  That is, of course, so long as the mode even allowed the necessary things to get there (or skip them in some cases).  I'd be very surprised if it accidentally had the cancel property with Zf/MG (free cancels) for its specials (at least the L1+s and L1+x like some sort of carryover from Artemis restrictions...though cancels of L1+o/L1+O would be far more interesting and L1+t would be stylish without being stupid when safe as such).

I don't see why costumes on VH would be hard to set-up.  NG+ is something I've seen done to a small degree (not enough for my tastes).  What would really be something would be BotG taking the place of Artemis (and no ill effects).  Even if flawed, I'd like to see that 'mode' even if it meant you had to force Kratos to show up in the next area due to some issue the game has (sort of like a debug world tour with BotG wrecking s***).  Having Athena's Blades in the main game would also be neat as they are not just cosmetic (they are slightly stronger than lvl5's 3.0 Modifier) and start with MAX no matter what (unless the game happens to not treat them as something unique).

NOTE: Imagine the horror of the Clones with Tycoonius on VH in terms of your Armor % on their sad 100HP.  Better make insane use of your power...with BotG you would likely still come out ahead easily so long as you were aggressive with swings.  I doubt it has the hit properties needed to lock them up at all, but the direct damage should be so crazy (even for VH), that it wouldn't matter.

>6 hero files

>how many costumes

Default, DB, Tycoonius, Chef, Bubbles and Ares Armor.  Six.  Exactly six.

Deeb: >it was

Bad?

>got better

I see.

>values for BoA

No.  I had a hard time getting an idea of the modifer it was using in the settings I was given to test them.  Testing did conclude they were stronger than 3.0 would allow the 1.0 values to be though.   I'm pretty certain of that much.

>quit for other reason

Not sharing details?

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wulf2K

http://50.72.217.75:83/TycoonusMilk.jpg

VH difficulty.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrStarkiller

BEUNO.jpg

With the modifier to make them Athena's Blades (thus golden aura, stronger damage milk jugs)?  What of BotG?

MustafaEl-Deeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MustafaEl-Deeb

>sharing details

Sorry, you won't get it this time.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrStarkiller

>not this time

Oh?  Very well.

MustafaEl-Deeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MustafaEl-Deeb

>Oh?

I can't determine the feelings with that question mark.

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wulf2K

Loading challenge 7 appears to give me access to all spells, but unloads the ship for some reason and sends me falling to my doom.

Loading challenge 10 locks out my spells, but keeps the ship loaded and lets me hit the save point again.  Tonight I think I'll go through and do the challenges normally to see what options are available in each.  There must be another challenge that will give me what I need without either locking magic or unloading the rest of the world.

>Athena's Jugs

That's standard Tycoonius with Dairy blades, pre-challenge equipment.

>BotG

Still untested.  Wasted a lot of time yesterday trying to work around a crash.  Whenever I'm playing with a modified level layout, videos have a 50% chance to lock up the system when they trigger.  Haven't figured it out exactly, but I've got the save set up on the Aegean Sea now that makes things easier to test, and the files on the drive set up for a minimum of hassle when switching between.  Rename one archive file to .bak and my changes are active, name it normally and everything's back to original.

Triggered the hydra boss fight video and backtracked 5 seconds to the save.  The King Hydra actually counts as its own 'level', so I can replace that with whatever I want, load the save, and instantly get access to whatever the replacement level is giving me.  Save again, revert my changes, and I keep everything while being able to progress.

BotG should be a quick test at that point.  Think I'm gonna try to get swimming glitch at that first piece of water since it's probably the only place that Akheon hasn't managed it yet.  Doubt the level can be finished with it, and can't exit the boat after even if you can, but probably a neat place to explore.  Draw myself a map of exactly what's needed to do satvara's PR skip...  But that's getting ahead of myself, and can probably explore that with infinite PR + BoA.

The version of the blades that are displayed don't seem to matter, just the costume itself.  I believe I was doing Tycoonius damage instead of DB damage with the milk jugs.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrStarkiller

>can't determine the feelings

Unfamiliar with the sort of response expressed with that, eh?  "Oh?" used as such tends to denote amusement while affirming understanding.  Sort of an "Is that so?" would be implied as following it (without usually being stated).  Also, "I see".

Wulf: >CotG 7 gives NG+

>drops you

I see.

>CotG 10 locks spells

>better to try CotG to see what each allows

Agreed.  If it were possible to load the 'end game' Kratos (post-Ares 2), you should have absolutely everything except BotG.

>Athena's Jugs

I get the feeling you're having a giggle with the wording here.

>Tycoonius with BoC reskinned into jugs

I'm aware.  I'd find it amusing to see the AB rather than BoC for greater damage and golden aura.

>BotG untested

I still suspect it will be a special state that won't simply allow replacing of Artemis.  Not like a PC where mods would be simpler.

>crash probability high with videos

Cutscenes are being a bother?

>quick test

Promising.

>costume designates stats and not the reskinned weapon

Can't have 'hero 1' (say Default) stats with 'hero 3' (say DB) appearance and 'hero 5' (say Tycoonius) blades?  No mix and match to that degree?  That stats and appearance (not blades) are strictly tied, but not costume and blades?

>believe you were doing Tycoonius damage

There is a world of difference in terms of Power % and collisions between them (also Armor % concerning hits you take).  It should be really obvious for VH (if you've put it on VH *and if it doesn't somehow cap you to normal VH stats*).  I know they are worlds apart on Hard.

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wulf2K

BotG can't be granted the 'easy' way.  I could get Ares' health bar to appear, so somewhere in the universe the fight was going on, but apparently the BotG isn't given to you just by loading the level.

The two swimming areas in the Aegean Sea are enclosed with more or less solid collision.  Doesn't match up with exactly what it looks like, but there's a complete box underneath them.  Could probably use BoA to get swim glitch at them by coming in from the side, but the method I'm using with Challenge 10 locks out magic use and thus limits high jumping options.  Challenges 1, 7, and 9 unload the existing level but grant all magics.

Method used to give alternate costumes doesn't appear to be consistently granting the appropriate stats. May be just a model change and I mixed up whether I'd already gotten MAX athena's blades or not that attempt.

Stay tuned for more riveting blahdeblahblah whenever I have time.  Nothing tomorrow, maybe Saturday.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrStarkiller

>can't be granted the easy way

Expected/10.

>not just by loading the level

So then...what nonsense is required to rig it up?

>not consistently giving stats

Oh?

>may just be appearances and not stats

Bah.  Tycoonius (and DB) for VH are a must for extremes.

>nothing tomorrow

I'll be working and trolling /a/ anyway.  It's almost time to re-open some wounds before they have a month or so to prepare their bodies for another, greater s***storm.

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Wulf2K

> nonsense required

The next step is getting out of the Aegean Sea and making a new save at the docks.  With the swim glitch active and the minotaur bridge's loading trigger pointing at the Ares fight, I'll swim outside the level and see if it's visible anywhere within swimming range, or give up on it if it's loaded somewhere that the camera won't let me find.  If I can find the fight it'll probably grant me whatever's needed for it if I can touch ground on it.  That's about the extent of what I'm willing to put into BotG for the short term.

The next step involves finishing the transition to debug firmware and pretending that I can figure out enough PS3 assembly language to do anything useful.  I'm familiar with finding changing memory values of stuff like health/magic/enemy health/etc, but finding stuff that can't be modified at will is either a headache while hoping for luck or sitting down to figure out exactly how the PS3 is loading it into memory.  I used to be able to sit down with a screen full of hex and unravel its divine mysteries so it could be bent to my will, but that was a long time ago.

With debug firmware, unlocking VH costumes to be selectable from the menu will likely be easier to figure out, but still a logical leap or two away from where I sit now.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrStarkiller

>all this jazz to get BotG

All they had to do was make an urn/artifact/possession equivalent...

>complicated s*** to get the weapon

Figures.  Likely why the other guy went dark on me when the only thing I requested was for him to use the BotG outside Ares2.

>costumes for VH

Seems easy.  The trouble seems to come with getting their STATS into VH (and having VH modify them by its standards *producing an otherwise impossible case of extremes*).

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Wulf2K

Once you're modifying the executable instead of the data files, the BotG wouldn't be too hard to grant.  The costumes on VH are a 10 minute job for anybody that knows PS2/PS3 assembly.

Of course that's like knowing it's not hard to order a Big Mac at a Russian McDonalds, but that still doesn't teach me Russian.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrStarkiller

>wouldn't be

Have a plan?

>10 minute job

But doable, just the same, yes?

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wulf2K

Today's random trivia:

After decrypting the save files there are 666 differences between a game started on Easy with the chef's costume and a file started on Normal with the bubbles costume, both run to the first save point.  I'm currently debating whether it's worth the effort to keep cutting the save file into halves and overwriting the other one to see when the costume and difficulty changes.

Edit:  The save games have a checksum of some sort.  This means that I need to figure out how it does it and update some arbitrary value to get it to recognize the save file as valid any time I make a change.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrStarkiller

>update system

Oh, boy,  Sounds like a good time.

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wulf2K

Progress is on hold for a week or so while I figure some stuff out.

Modifying the executable to apply the equivalent of Action Replay codes seems to be the way to go.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrStarkiller

>on hold

Noted.

>equivalent of Action Replay

I believe that was the method used by the chap from the past to manage NG+. 

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wulf2K

Step 1 complete.  I have decrypted GOW1.SELF and am able to view the executable in a way that makes sense.

Edit: Random, mildly interesting.  Mostly that the "Box Kick puzzle" was originally an achievement.

Internal notes for GoW1 achievement requirements (not sure if they all ended up being active):

[spoiler] Acquire Poseidon's Rage
Acquire Medusa's Gaze
Acquire Zeus' Fury
Acquire Artemis Blad
Acquire Army of Hades
Win 1st Minotaur fight
Win 1st Satyr fight
Win 1st Cerberus fight
Win Siren Challenge
Win Centaur Challenge
Win Box Kick puzzle (moved to cliffs of madness, spike box puzzle)
Win 'sex mini-game' once
Beat Oracle's Puzzle with 10 seconds left
Win Atlas' challenge (ball crashes through door)
Sacrafice Human
Kiss the Nyad
Climb out of Hades
Open Health Chest when Health is full
Get 100 hit combo
Die enough times to get offered Easy mode
Collect all Gorgon Eyes
Collect all Phoenix Feathers
Kill the Hydra (get Captain's Key)
Kill Minotaur Boss
Kill Ares
Obtain Architect's wife head
Get Pandora's Box
Get 200 hit combo
Watch the Deimos backstory in Extras
Max out all weapons and Magic
Beat Game
Make it through a Hades blade without taking damage
Beat Challenge of the Gods
Beat game in 5 hours
Collect All Muse Keys [/spoiler]

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrStarkiller

>in a way that makes sense

Oh?

>box kick puzzle

Which one?  Aphrodite's Necklace?  The first box bit?

>internal list

Let's see here:

>box buzzle

"Box Kicker".  Aphrodite's Necklace.

Seems they all check out. 

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wulf2K

Ah, the necklace bit.  That makes more sense.

I had the box kicking segment on the Aegean Sea in my head.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrStarkiller

>Aegean Sea

That was the first to come to mind for me, as well.  I like skipping the Necklace of Aphrodite. That's just too boring.  Hera's Necklace is even worse, but has a good fight by it.

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Wulf2K

http://youtu.be/QXpbevULXTY

Shows the WAD replacement method for getting stuff early.

http://youtu.be/NcDOBB1fM1I

I assume this is me getting the record for quickest hacked speedrun. Go me.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MrStarkiller
So I saw (both).
Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wulf2K

http://youtu.be/UhwCs0xzdhU

Swimming exploration of Aegean Sea.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrStarkiller
I'll see about viewing this upon waking (before work).  Hosting duty kept me from doing much with my day off.  Seeing an advisor shouldn't take up much of the next day off and right now I have two more openings in the near future, but they seem likely to get swallowed up very quickly.  Very quickly, indeed.
Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wulf2K

It's not the most exciting of videos but it shows a few interesting boundaries.

Also, to the best of my knowledge it's never been done before, so there's that.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrStarkiller

>not the most exciting

AKheon felt differently.

>never been done before

I believe that's true.  Even satvara only ever operated within normal rules.  No antics with 'hacking'.  When can I expect to see things that are more in my court?  That being 'combat'.  Using tools outside their normal time of having them.  Most especially the BotG. 

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wulf2K

The BotG may be a bit of trouble, but I haven't tried for a while and I've gotten a bit better at this sort of thing.

From what I recall of the last attempt, just loading the level wasn't enough to grant you the weapon so I'd have to figure out what does trigger it. Obtaining it normally and then escaping back to the first level doesn't seem likely as there are no loading zones to cheese in the area.

It's not 100% out of the realm of possibility that I can take the final Ares fight 'container' file and rip out the level data, replace it with the first level's data, then have the logic granting the weapon applying to a spot with a save point.  Grant me the BotG, save, replace level with a normal one, and load as normal.  That's currently in magical pixie wishland though, as I can see the different sections that make up the data files but have no clue what 95% of it means or how dependent each section is on the other.

My last bit of focus has been trying to grant all magics in the Aegean Sea.  All challenges except for Challenge 10 seem to either crash the game or despawn the world (including savepoints) after granting the magic though.  The Blade of Artemis and Blades of Athena are no problem to grant if you ever have any interest in me sending you a save.  I'd need an example save from your system first though so I could resign it to play on your PS3.  Assuming you didn't want to have to deal with signing it yourself, or follow some instructions to get me the appropriate signing key.  I've also figured out a way to set up a web page where you could drag your save and it would send you one back that your PS3 would load, but I don't have the time to actually code that up.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a bit of a video guide showing each individual level file separate from its connecting levels, and where each loading trigger is.  I doubt the demand for such a video exists though.  Interesting trivia, but I'm sure everything useful it would show has already been uncovered through trial and error.

Challenge of the Gods 10 can be completed without killing anything by simply swimming to the top platform.  This will grant the achievement if done from the Aegean Sea by replacing files, making it possible to have the challenge achievement before the game completion achievement.

The final zone of Olympus can be loaded from the Aegean Sea, allowing the game to be completed in under 5 minutes for the speedrun trophy and game completion trophy before any others.  You can also destroy the statues here if one cared about the secret message.

Loaded levels don't care where they were loaded 'from', they will always load into the game at an absolute point in the world.  Eg, it doesn't matter if you set the final level of Olympus to load when you cross through the hallway at the end of the Aegean Sea's box kicking segment or after the first Hydra head, it will always occupy the space before the balance beam at the first save point.  This means that the odds of any randomly loaded level being accessible without the swimming glitch are rather low as there is not likely to be a ground path leading to it.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MrStarkiller

>bit of trouble

Imagine that.

>what triggers it

Something absurd, I take it.

>magic pixieland

The same place that would let you work with more than BotG if you do get it.  You'll be stuck in that mode.  Who knows how HP would interact (possible that is tied into the weapon too).  Could keep climbing, could could heal foes when you get hurt, could crash when foes die (maybe kill you), etc.  You won't be able to traverse the game very well while weighed down.  Won't have magic and other tools as well.

>crashes

Might explain why the previous guy doing this work only ever showed the Pandora's Guardian fight with AoH.

>save sharing

Amusing prospect.

>demand

Amongt those that matter, vets, this ratio shouldn't be too awful between the care and care-nots.

>random area antics

I see. 

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Wulf2K

Rough layout of the level files:

Aegean Sea - Athn01a-f

Port of Athens - Athn02a

Fortress of Athens - Athn02b-d

Athens Battleground - Athn03a

Road to Athens - Athn03b-c

Athens Town Square - Athn04a-d

Rooftops of Athens - Athn05a-d

Temple of the Oracle - Athn06a-c

Suicide Bluffs - Athn07

Sewers - Sewr01-02

Desert - dest00-03

Temple of Pandora - pand00a-pand05b
(Temple of Pandora is a huge interlinking mess, I'll break up which is which at a later date)

Hades - hdes01a-g

Temple of the Oracle (Return) - atret01a-c

Ares 1 - athn08a

Clones - athn08b

Ares 2 - athn08c

Suicide Bluffs - Athn07b

Olympus - olymp01-02

Mystery - olymp04

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Wulf2K

Olymp04 is a weird little level that isn't referenced by any others.

The logic section of the WAD references the following commands:

goarena
gostairdust01
gostairdust03
gostairdust04
gobridgeright
gostart
gocamgrpcombat1e
goai4camcombat
goleveldata1
gocamgrpcine1
gocamgrpcombat1
gocamgrpentrance
gocharacters
goprearmour
gosweettooth
goarmoured
gohairy
godiaperdude
golongface1
gocnm
goblueguy
goredguy
gotribalguy
goroman
gogroup1
gogroup2
goposed
golocator5
gocentaurmessage
gocyclopsmessage1
gocyclopsmessage2
gocyclopsmessage3
gocyclopsmessage4
gocyclopsmessage5
gocyclopsmessage6
gokratosmessage1
gokratosmessage2
gokratosmessage3
gokratosmessage4
gokratosmessage5
gomedusamessage1
goskellymessage1
goskellymessage2
gocreationsensor1
gomusicgrpolympe1
goskybox
gosndzoneamb
gosndamb
godiapertime

Go hairy?  Go Diaper Dude? Go sweet tooth?

Apparently it has lots of message popups as well.

Interesting stuff.  Any of it mean anything to you?  There anything in the treasures that would fit this?

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Wulf2K

Ah, looks like it might be the Character Graveyard.

Edit:  Following this mystery led me to the spot that stores all the text pop-ups in the game.  Neat.

Edit 2:  It would appear that the model for the Blade of the Gods (internally called the "Athena Blade"...) is stored directly in the final level's WAD file.  No using it in any other level with any realistic method.  It does appear to just replace the Blade of Artemis (internally called the "Berserker's Blade") though, so it may be possible to use the BotG moveset with the BoA model.

It's also possible that the "Athena Blade" model stored in the final level's file is just a version of it that sits in the level before you wield it, and the wielded version's model is stored somewhere else permanently accessible that I just haven't found yet.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MrStarkiller

>go'various'

To be expected of them.

>mean anything

Diaper Dude was one of their stand-ins.

>Sweet Tooth

Jaffe and his ties to Twisted Metal.  This sort of nonsense is typical of devs in code, it would seem.  The DmC files revealed copypasta from Enslaved upon inspection.

>Character Graveyard

Remembered, did you?

>internally BotG is called "Athena Blade"

Sword Bridge is her honor to claim, eh?  SoH will like this.

>stored in the final level

>just replaces Artemis 

Unsurprising.

>no way to use it

Figures.

>Artemis is Berserker Blade

Cute.  Maybe they're fans of the Dragonslayer?

>BotG moveset with BoA

They're not that different.  Small difference in normals.  More notable with specials. The damage values are a world apart.

>wielded version elsewhere

Could be.  I suppose that shouldn't be ruled out.  It's not all that odd to think the previous guy doing this sort of work shied away when talk centered around specifically figuring out the issue with using BotG elsewhere.  Troublesome. 

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Wulf2K

Awesome...  I was able to selectively disable the movie and the long wraith/cyclops fight in the Athens rooftop level.

On its own, who really cares.

But I have seen something I did not want and used the power of my brain to remove it from existence.  Gaze upon my works ye mighty and despair.

Edit:  The loading trigger for the next area was part of the same trigger that played the movie.  I was able to modify it to load the next area without playing the movie.

This may sound more promising than it is.  So far I am just getting much better with which bits of code I selectively destroy, creating new instructions is not possible yet.

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wulf2K

Warning:  Blah de blah blah blah ahead.

Athn08c (Ares 2) initial triggers:

ESC_athn08Cstart

athn08Cstart-CreationSensor1

athn07b.athn08Cstart-loadAthn07b

athn08Cstart-checkpoint

athn08Cstart-gotBlades

Escape from combat and backtracking to SuicideBluffs should theoretically be possible.

Unrelated to above, clone battle:

spawnArcher has its own trigger, clone battle may be do-able without ranged attackers.

There appear to be two separate myCreatorEvilKratos triggers. Unsure if they control different pools, or different phases of the fight.

Evil Kratos wave triggers:

Evils1.patrol1.evilsWAVE1

evilsWAVE1-Destruction

The above continues up to wave 4.

There is a PermanentBlockB2cycle-archerDeathNoRespawn trigger, this suggests there's a way to perma-kill him.

....And ignore that 'unrelated to above' comment. Still from the clone battle:

ESC_giveAthenaSword

athn08c.giveAthenaSword-CreationSensor1

athn08c.giveAthenaSword-loadForWarp

giveAthenaSword-checkpoint

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wulf2K

Early signs point to success.

BotG shown in the upgrade menu.  The model doesn't load outside of the Ares 2 fight, but it stays as the active weapon.

Just need to ditch swimming somewhere now to see if the moveset applied properly.

Edit:  Menu was all that was affected.  BoA did not take on BotG properties.  Disappointing.

MrStarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MrStarkiller

>disable cutscene

Oh?

>who cares

"Me." - Frieza

Though didn't satvara find that we could eject the disc and put it back in to skip them for the PS2 version?

>can selectively destroy

>not yet generate

I see.

>clone talk

Denial of Agony is neat.  They refer to Regret's Artemis as BotG?  Fitting regarding the special move they have.

>BotG testing

Pity.

Wulf2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Wulf2K

Dest01.wad is the level file that contains the desert sirens and the minotaurs.

This is interesting because it contains 15 triggers to spawn minotaurs for the second siren, and 18 triggers to spawn minotaurs for the third siren.  That's 33 identical triggers that are copy/pasted with only spawn co-ordinates changed.

Next time I get a chance to play with this, this should be an excellent reference point to further my knowledge of the trigger structure. Compare multiple triggers, don't change what is common between them, then examine the differences and see if I can modify them to spawn in midair or some such silliness.

Edit:  For what it's worth, it is easy to switch which movie file plays at each trigger.  I may want to do this in the future to avoid the vids that just go on forever.  I'm looking at you, ending of Aegean Sea.