telvisnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 telvisnostic
Member since 2005 • 10021 Posts

I had an nice debate and a bit of an argument about the situation that happened with Lady Gaga and her being banned from, I think it was, Indonesia performing there.  Now being not a fan of hers, because well, she is annoying (but if you like her, I'm not going to damn you to hell for it), I was wondering how you all felt about any particular artist being banned from playing in certain places.

I've always gave some countries the benefit of the doubt at times because some artist can be pretty damn defiant refuse to tone things down.  Now if they tone things down, shouldn't they be allowed to play?

Thoughts?

It can be about anyone, a band, a rapper, a solo artist and so on.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

As long as they aren't inciting a riot or doing anything along those lines, artists should be allowed to play anywhere. Banning Lady Gaga from performing for being too provocative is stupid.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24945 Posts
Lady Gaga being banned from there doesn't bother me at all, since she's my most hated artist.
telvisnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 telvisnostic

As long as they aren't inciting a riot or doing anything along those lines, artists should be allowed to play anywhere. Banning Lady Gaga from performing for being too provocative is stupid.JML897
What about if they refuse to tone down their show to adhere to the laws of the land?

rocketfox129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rocketfox129
Member since 2007 • 30833 Posts

I think it's a silly thing whether it's toned down or not (though I have more sympathy for those that do tone things down and are still banned).

What I find especially bizarre was one of the arguments that some groups were putting forward as to why Gaga shouldn't perform there was "she has admitted to being the messenger of the devil and spreading his message"

Ah well... it's quite often more religious matters that get things banned from what I've seen, soul singer Erykah Badu got panned from performing in one country not too long ago I recall because a tatoo on her back reads as "Allah".

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts
It's pretty lame, It think usually it's just when certain countries are more strict about things and they don't want their youth to be corrupted. 
kylts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 kylts
Member since 2009 • 1510 Posts
Really Banning Lady Gaga because she dresses To provocatively? Some of the concerts I've seen more crazy stuff has happened :P Like Rammestein Burning an American Flag with Fire Gauntlets :P
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]As long as they aren't inciting a riot or doing anything along those lines, artists should be allowed to play anywhere. Banning Lady Gaga from performing for being too provocative is stupid.telvisnostic

What about if they refuse to tone down their show to adhere to the laws of the land?

Then the country should stop having stupid laws in the first place.

Avatar image for StaticKornSlipX
StaticKornSlipX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StaticKornSlipX
Member since 2003 • 8261 Posts

i don't like censorship. Indonesia doesn't sound like a great place to live.

telvisnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 telvisnostic
It's pretty lame, It thinkusually it's just when certain countries are more strict about things and they don't want their youth to be corrupted.lensflare15
I've noticed that too. And at times some countries just don't like certain types of music, so it's basically calling for the youth to be 'corrupted' so to speak. I notice that, with all things really, if you keep a tight grip for so long, someone's going to want let loose and try to do their own thing for fun.
telvisnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 telvisnostic

[QUOTE="telvisnostic"]

[QUOTE="JML897"]As long as they aren't inciting a riot or doing anything along those lines, artists should be allowed to play anywhere. Banning Lady Gaga from performing for being too provocative is stupid.JML897

Then the country should stop having stupid laws in the first place.

I disagree there, because not all laws are stupid, plus some people are just close minded really.
telvisnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 telvisnostic
Really Banning Lady Gaga because she dresses To provocatively? Some of the concerts I've seen more crazy stuff has happened :P Like Rammestein Burning an American Flag with Fire Gauntlets :P kylts
I've heard of those shows. I recall a friend of mine going to one of their shows years ago and that stuff didn't happen, but some BDSM & lots and lots of fire and that cross burning thing happened. No one cried foul thought that I noticed. So another question I'd like to as is, where does art and crossing the line start and begin. It's a hard thing to figure out sometimes.