mjk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mjk1
Member since 2003 • 10309 Posts

Torri Higginson ("Elizabeth Weir") will no longer be a main cast member in the fourth season of Stargate Atlantis, executive producer Brad Wright revealed in a new video interview now online at StargateSG1.com, MGM's official site for the series.

"Torri Higginson is coming back for some period of time," Wright said. "She's going to be a recurring character."

Spoiler is about Beckett (i am pretty sure everyone knows but just in case for people who dont know i have put it in the spoiler)

[spoiler] The news follows on recent reports that cast member Paul McGillion ("Carson Beckett") will be departing the series late in the current season (story). [/spoiler]

Just how many episodes "recurring" means is also unknown. After the first season of Atlantis, co-star Rainbow Sun Francks ("Aiden Ford") was reduced to recurring status apparently as a means of removing him from the show. He appeared in four episodes the next season, and his character has not been heard from since.

On the other hand, Weir could remain in charge of Atlantis despite the status change, but simply not appear in as many episodes. In the history of Stargate, such actors as McGillion (in the show's first season), David Nykl ("Radek Zelenka"), and SG-1's Teryl Rothery ("Janet Fraiser") have appeared in more than half of a season with "recurring" status.

Stick with GateWorld for future developments. Season Four of Stargate Atlantis will start filming in February and is expected to premiere next summer on the SCI FI Channel in the United States.

News thanks to Gateworld

shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 shockwave04
Member since 2002 • 19257 Posts
If this happened durring season 2 I would be happy , now I hate teyla more. Damn it !
mjk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mjk1
what i am thinking is they are getting rid of quite a lot of characters so what is going to happen to the show. first beckett is going now wier is going to be recurring so where are the replacements. if teyla went i wouldnt care but weir kinda has a more important/substantial role than teyla
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shockwave04
Maybe they're bring more SG-1 people over other than carter.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Maybe they're bring more SG-1 people over other than carter.shockwave04
Even just with Carter, that makes a lot of sense. We know that they are bringing in a Firefly refugee to take Carson's seat, but given her history with the franchise, having Amanda Tapping do guest roles probably costs as much as having a fulltime Atlantis cast member. I do hope that Weir is a Hammond recurring character and not a Ford recurring character.
mjk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mjk1
Maybe they're bring more SG-1 people over other than carter.shockwave04
if they do that i dont mind, so if wier is being replaced by landry that would be cool :)
bbbourb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 bbbourb
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts
Of course they're taking Weir out of the show just when I started to like her character a bit more. 

Does this seem like Sci-Fi is surreptitiously trying to strangle the franchise into oblivion?  First, they cancel SG-1, despite the consistently strong ratings.  Next, the cast members of Atlantis are leaving in droves.  Are they reshuffling their assets for the third establishment in the franchise or just trying to run the show on the cheap?  I'm really starting to get concerned about the future of Stargate. 
deshields538

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 deshields538
Member since 2005 • 8699 Posts

Of course they're taking Weir out of the show just when I started to like her character a bit more.  

bbbourb

Same here! I used to dislike her a great deal in the first season. I thought she made very bad descisions but her character has sort of grown on me. Either that or my dislike has been focused too much on Teyla this past while.

shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shockwave04

Does this seem like Sci-Fi is surreptitiously trying to strangle the franchise into oblivion? First, they cancel SG-1, despite the consistently strong ratings. Next, the cast members of Atlantis are leaving in droves. Are they reshuffling their assets for the third establishment in the franchise or just trying to run the show on the cheap? I'm really starting to get concerned about the future of Stargate.
bbbourb
The SciFi channel has no say as to what charcters are on it.
mjk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mjk1

[QUOTE="bbbourb"]Of course they're taking Weir out of the show just when I started to like her character a bit more.

Does this seem like Sci-Fi is surreptitiously trying to strangle the franchise into oblivion? First, they cancel SG-1, despite the consistently strong ratings. Next, the cast members of Atlantis are leaving in droves. Are they reshuffling their assets for the third establishment in the franchise or just trying to run the show on the cheap? I'm really starting to get concerned about the future of Stargate.
shockwave04

this is all to do with the writers of the show want and where they think atlantis is going. Joe Flanigan (sheppard) said that the show is going to go into a new direction in season 4, in an interview. i havent read it because i dont want to read any spoilers. so maybe thats the reason for the reshuffle.

shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shockwave04
All read it, I know when to stop myself.
deshields538

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deshields538
I wonder what the new direction is all about? I hope it takes a slightly darker path than SG-1. How they would do that though, I don't know.
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shockwave04
Spoiler free : "It's so tough to talk about it without going into specifics, but essentially it opens up so may other avenues in terms of storytelling. The writers have found a clever way to take Atlantis down an entirely new creative path as well as bring a fresh tone to the programme, while at the same time keeping true to the classic elements already established.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Given that they originally wanted the Pegasus replicators to be the big bad for the series, I wonder if the Wraith will get sidelined in favor of them. They already seem to like rolling replicators out for the big episodes more than the Wraith.
mjk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mjk1
I wonder what the new direction is all about? I hope it takes a slightly darker path than SG-1. How they would do that though, I don't know.deshields538
minor quest part 2. spoiler: [spoiler] i think sg1 is going into a darker path with the daniel story arc [/spoiler] [QUOTE="shockwave04"]Spoiler free : "It's so tough to talk about it without going into specifics, but essentially it opens up so may other avenues in terms of storytelling. The writers have found a clever way to take Atlantis down an entirely new creative path as well as bring a fresh tone to the programme, while at the same time keeping true to the classic elements already established.

so you could say season 5 is likely ? ?
deshields538

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deshields538

I hate the Pegasus reps. I want giant bugs again:(.

I think the Wraith outclass them in every department to be honest. When the Wraith are on screen they have a certain presence (for lack of a better word) to them.

deshields538

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deshields538

[QUOTE="deshields538"]I wonder what the new direction is all about? I hope it takes a slightly darker path than SG-1. How they would do that though, I don't know.mjk1
minor quest part 2. spoiler: [spoiler] i think sg1 is going into a darker path with the daniel story arc [/spoiler]

I see what your getting at there. It does have the potential I must say:).

shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shockwave04
[QUOTE="mjk1"] "It's so tough to talk about it without going into specifics, but essentially it opens up so may other avenues in terms of storytelling. The writers have found a clever way to take Atlantis down an entirely new creative path as well as bring a fresh tone to the programme, while at the same time keeping true to the classic elements already established.

It sounded to me like it was a set up for season 4.
mjk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mjk1
[QUOTE="shockwave04"][QUOTE="mjk1"] "It's so tough to talk about it without going into specifics, but essentially it opens up so may other avenues in terms of storytelling. The writers have found a clever way to take Atlantis down an entirely new creative path as well as bring a fresh tone to the programme, while at the same time keeping true to the classic elements already established.

It sounded to me like it was a set up for season 4.

what i meant was the show continuing past season 4 is quite likely ?
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shockwave04
oh yeah, thats what I think also.
bbbourb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 bbbourb
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts
[QUOTE="bbbourb"]Of course they're taking Weir out of the show just when I started to like her character a bit more.

shockwave04

The same way they had no say whether SG-1 showed up on a different network?  Sorry, shock, but the guys who write the paychecks have a say, and it's not always as direct as "You can't have Character X anymore".  More like "Ok, here's your new budget and  you can afford Amanda Tapping OR Tori Higginson, not both".  So, they don't have creative input, but yeah, I'm betting they do have a say in the matter. 

The Amanda Tapping article on Gateworld certainly shed some light on this situation, too, and I'll bet money was a prime factor in the decision to "marginalize" Higginson's character.
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shockwave04
MGM wrights the checks. And sell the episodes to the SchFi channel.
Zhane_Endrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zhane_Endrick
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
It seems like everyone is jumping ship from Atlantis. I really don't have a problem with any of the characters myself. I'm less upset about Weir leaving that I was hearing that Beckett was leaving. (I realize they are 'recurring' not quite leaving.) Of course, with Jewel Staite coming on board as a recurring character...all is well with the universe again.
mjk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mjk1
well atlantis is getting better with every episode, but the producers/writers are changing the direction of where the series is going in season 4, thats why they have to let people go, but this is stargate after all so even if they die they have a possibility of coming back, so we might see more of these characters in the future.
shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shockwave04
MAybe Sarge will watch it after all the changes lol
deshields538

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deshields538

MAybe Sarge will watch it after all the changes lolshockwave04

:lol:. Does Sarge still watch SG-1 or did he stop after season 8? It's getting pretty good too atm.

capthunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 capthunt
Member since 2003 • 1849 Posts
Sigh... they are getting rid of too many characters in Atlantis imo. As long as she will still be on the show for as long as the show airs then i guess it wont be too bad. Just dont kill off another character.