DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

I read it mate; that was a first chapter I think I remember you saying? I'd be interested to know where you're going with it actually; is Cardio going to gain 'super powers'? Or is he merely going to become bricked and a ladies man e.t.c, and find a struggle to deal with a change of lifestyle? Clearly Von is bad news, though I guess you'll elaborate later on why he's such a bad ass, which will be interesting to see! :)

One main thing I picked up on was stuff like this 'Von is shocked to hear that. Wow, really, that I didn't know, oh man, that has to suck. '. Perhaps when conveying people's feelings, instead of saying what they're feeling and following it with some dialogue, do something such as ' "Wow, really, that I did not know. Oh man, that has to suck" Von said remorsefully, his face full of concern.' So basically, depict how he would look when feeling remorseful (or perhaps faking remorse!) perhaps?

There's some good characterisation though; there's a clear distinction between the characters. Cardio is weedy and pathetic, John is the protective brother and perhaps voice of reason, and Von is the antagonist. So there's a clear distinction between who is performing which role, which is always good.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#52 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I read it mate; that was a first chapter I think I remember you saying? I'd be interested to know where you're going with it actually; is Cardio going to gain 'super powers'? Or is he merely going to become bricked and a ladies man e.t.c, and find a struggle to deal with a change of lifestyle? Clearly Von is bad news, though I guess you'll elaborate later on why he's such a bad ass, which will be interesting to see! :)

One main thing I picked up on was stuff like this 'Von is shocked to hear that. Wow, really, that I didn't know, oh man, that has to suck. '. Perhaps when conveying people's feelings, instead of saying what they're feeling and following it with some dialogue, do something such as ' "Wow, really, that I did not know. Oh man, that has to suck" Von said remorsefully, his face full of concern.' So basically, depict how he would look when feeling remorseful (or perhaps faking remorse!) perhaps?

There's some good characterisation though; there's a clear distinction between the characters. Cardio is weedy and pathetic, John is the protective brother and perhaps voice of reason, and Von is the antagonist. So there's a clear distinction between who is performing which role, which is always good.

DarthJohnova

Yes, it's the 1st Chapter out of 6, each chapter is pretty long.

As for Cardio, that remains a secret along with what Von would do.

Yeah I should do more of that for expressing how the characters act in situations like that.

Well thanks, I wanted all the characters to be varied, and what did you think of Catherine and Rutherford?

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 DarthJohnova

[QUOTE="DarthJohnova"]

mitu123

Yeah I should do more of that for expressing how the characters act in situations like that.

Well thanks, I wanted all the characters to be varied, and what did you think of Catherine and Rutherford?

Cool, well I look forward to reading the next five; just post them in here if you fancy it, I'll check it periodically anyway :) I thought Catherine and Rutherford were good characters that just needed more 'page-time' (as opposed to screen-time xD). I'm aware of where they stand in the story, but their presence wasn't as apparent as Cardio, John and Von. So perhaps a 'major' incident involving the two of them will bring them more to the fore. Obviously it's Cardio's story, not theirs so you probably don't want them to be over-bearing, but they were decent, they just need to play a bigger role to give them the relevance they deserve. I look forward to reading your next parts :)
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="DarthJohnova"]

DarthJohnova

Cool, well I look forward to reading the next five; just post them in here if you fancy it, I'll check it periodically anyway :) I thought Catherine and Rutherford were good characters that just needed more 'page-time' (as opposed to screen-time xD). I'm aware of where they stand in the story, but their presence wasn't as apparent as Cardio, John and Von. So perhaps a 'major' incident involving the two of them will bring them more to the fore. Obviously it's Cardio's story, not theirs so you probably don't want them to be over-bearing, but they were decent, they just need to play a bigger role to give them the relevance they deserve. I look forward to reading your next parts :)

Oh you're going to love the later chapters then!:D

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 DarthJohnova

[QUOTE="DarthJohnova"][QUOTE="mitu123"] Yes, it's the 1st Chapter out of 6, each chapter is pretty long.

mitu123

Oh you're going to love the later chapters then!:D

Haha, awesome. I look forward to it man :P
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#56 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I've decided to start a new short story. I guess I'll try my hand at Sci-Fi without knowing anything about technology or space or science fiction...
Brown9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 Brown9
Member since 2012 • 949 Posts

I've decided to start a new short story. I guess I'll try my hand at Sci-Fi without knowing anything about technology or space or science fiction...Minishdriveby

You only need imagination and a spot of research to write anything you want.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I've decided to start a new short story. I guess I'll try my hand at Sci-Fi without knowing anything about technology or space or science fiction...Brown9

Or you could just say "F*ck it" and write soft science fiction, which is better 90% of the time anyway.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#59 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

No one's contributed anything in a whiole, so ehre's a poem I wrote whilst very tired.

Whatever the Weather we Knew

If ever there was

What we once knew

Then whatever there were

Is forever gone

For whatever the weather we knew

Whether we knew it or not

Don't you see?

Across the sea there be an endless tree

Sailing on the midnight wind

Forever adrift there it flies

But the many flies flew

And once we see

There's no turning back

My back is turned now

But we get back to forever

For there will ever never be the same things

Even as we see the something

That looms like a loon in the wind

If truly we treat cruelly those who know

Then there can be no way

Never again will we truly forget

For getting on in life is a way of regret

But whatever the whether we knew is forever lost

It's dead, cold and covered in frost

And if death comes a knockin then you best be blockin

You better be looking at the clockin on the wall

And if the rooster starts a cluckin then in the skeleton comes a
truckin

Forever lost in the found land

I have found a new land

One where the people forever dance

For ever whatever the weather we knew

Whether we knew it or not

For truly if life is a stage

Then through ever whatever there is

Nothing beyond the truth of what we see

But beyond the sea there lies a place

In which we see many a face

Of those thrown aside and forgotten

For if we've gotten through

To the endless pews

Then maybe we shant all be damned

For if we've dammed our minds then we've damned our souls

The soles of our feet will grow weary and old

Along with the sea of faces

We shall see the places

In which we once knew

The new things in life aren't free

But if we can grow over our fears

We can shake the many hours form our ears

If only we could see that throughever whatever

The weather may come

Regardless of whether

We can catch the feather

And finally reach that gun

But alas we only cling

To forgotten beasts

Of many days hence

But if only there were some true way

To slaughter the ones

We could finally break free

Of the ties that bind

And in doing so

We finally see-

We finally see that there is not enough time

Not enough time to tie our knots

Not enough time to see what we've got

Not enough time to hear the cries

Not enough time to see the skies

Not enough time

Not enough time

Not enough time to have it all

We fall

And we fall

And in the fall the world dies

And still...

Still we fall

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#60 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="Brown9"]

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]I've decided to start a new short story. I guess I'll try my hand at Sci-Fi without knowing anything about technology or space or science fiction...DarkLink77

Or you could just say "F*ck it" and write soft science fiction, which is better 90% of the time anyway.

sci-fi with no research = crap.
Brown9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Brown9

No one's contributed anything in a whiole, so ehre's a poem I wrote whilst very tired.

turtlethetaffer

People have shared stuff through links. At least I'm certain I did.

I'd comment on your poem, but I dislike poetry in general and am no good critiquing it so I won't even patronize you by saying it's good without really analyzing it.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#62 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

Brown9

I'd comment on your poem, but I dislike poetry in general and am no good critiquing it so I won't even patronize you by saying it's good without really analyzing it.

I just meant no one has posted anything in the past few days it seems.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 mitu123

[QUOTE="Brown9"]

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

I just meant no one has posted anything in the past few days it seems.

Mine requires a lot of work!

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#64 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Brown9"]

BrunoBRS

Yeah I know. I don't have time to research it. I have what I think are some really interesting ideas that come to mind, but I never do enough research to write any of it or write any of it for that matter.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Brown9"]

BrunoBRS

Pretty much every great science fiction novel ever written disagrees with you.
Brown9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Brown9

Pretty much every great science fiction novel ever written disagrees with you.DarkLink77

I don't read as much as I should, DL, but enlighten me:

What are some good (in your opinion) sci-fi novels?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#67 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Or you could just say "F*ck it" and write soft science fiction, which is better 90% of the time anyway.

Pretty much every great science fiction novel ever written disagrees with you.

when i mean with no research, i mean sci-fi that just throws technobabble at your face with no grounding in reality. yes, it's science FICTION, but that shouldn't be an excuse to disregard physics. and yeah, i'd like to know what would be some good sci-fi novels. can't say i'm a fan of the genre (especially space operas, they bore me), so fire away.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#68 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Horror-Comedy.

I'm currently back in film production after a few years. So hopefully I can start entertaining you guy s abit.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#69 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
So, I've been working on a post apocalypse fantasy novel. Trying really hard to stay away from genre cliches, but there's just too many of them :x