Power Up Battle #4: Tanooki Suit vs Propeller Mushroom

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 GamerofMario1
Member since 2008 • 12972 Posts

Week 4 of the Mushroom Kingdom Union Power Battle is underway. To recap, each week two of Mario's iconic powerups will be put into a poll to decide, by the members of this union, which one is the better power up.

Power Up Battle #4:

8662408225_709641491f_z.jpg

Tanooki Suit: The Tanooki Suit has appeared in the Mario series reguarly since Super Mario Bros. 3. It allows Mario to fly, use the tail as a defensive move, and even turn into a statue.

Propeller Mushroom: Introduced in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, this power up allows Mario to shoot up in the air and float back down to land with a simple shake of the Wii remote.

Vote for your favorite, and leave a comment below. Whichever wins will move on to the next round!

4EverGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 595

#2 4EverGreen
Member since 2006 • 244 Posts
Tanooki Suit, no contest! 8)
Lost_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lost_M
Member since 2010 • 1280 Posts
The Tanooki Suit is one of Mario's most iconic power ups. I have cast my vote for it. Since the game it first appeared in, Super Mario Bros. 3, won the game tourney here a year ago, I believe this power will win in a landslide.
game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 game-ster23
Member since 2009 • 17328 Posts
I rather enjoyed the propeller mushroom, but the tanooki suit is a classic power up.
GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GamerofMario1
Looks like I am going with the majority here. Tanooki Suit has my vote.
game-ster23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 game-ster23
Member since 2009 • 17328 Posts
I'm sort of surprised this battle was a total blow out.
Lost_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lost_M
Member since 2010 • 1280 Posts
I've never seen such a one-sided vote on the internet before. :P
JBL_Fan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JBL_Fan7
Member since 2011 • 477 Posts
I'm voting for the Tanooki Suit! :D
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#9 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

No contest here. I mean the whole reason I wanted 3D Land was seeing the Tanooki suit return but it's funny with it's origins.

As someone who read the short lived Mario comics, they did a story called Tanooki Suits Me where Princess Peach had a museum opening and Luigi messed up the tuxedo rental and forgot to reserve one for Mario so Mario shows up to this museum opening in a raccoon suit and is rather pissed and hiding in the corner waiting for this event to end. A little old man comes up to Mario and says "Wow that's an original Tanooki suit." To which Mario says "I thought this was some old ratty raccoon costume leftover from Halloween." The old man tells Mario the story of an old tailor named Tanooki who made magical suits that could have any number of magical abilities but sadly his order load got too high and he was getting too old and retired his shop. The story goes on that as the party is winding down, Mario finds a button on the costume's belly, hits it and turns into a statue, however he has no idea how to reverse it. Luigi and Peach think Mario went home early, everyone leaves the museum and Mario is stuck. During the night Bowser and a group of Mousers come in and rob the place (Peach and her ever vigilant security system) taking statue Mario with them. Turns out Bowser plans to sell these art pieces to Wart (yep he's in the comics a couple times) so you get the only story in the comics where Bowser and Wart are seen together. Mario seeing the dealings going down is upset and wishes to change back which apparently was the magic words to un-solidify himself. He tells Wart that all of the paintings Bowser stole are fakes. Wart gets mad, takes back his cash and stomps out, Mario gathers up the stolen paintings to return to the museum and Bowser is just wondering who this familiar looking raccoon is.

But for years I wondered "why a raccoon that flies and turns into a statue" in the states, it seems so odd I mean when you consider the more practical flying devices Mario had in other games: magic carpets, capes, Yoshi with wings, wings on his hat. And then I came across the studio Ghibli movie Pom Poko which tells the tale of the Tanooki in Japan is the animal god of mischief and has the ability to transform and fly but unlike Mario they use their magical (as the English dub says) "pouches." Magical pouches that only males have between their legs? You know, FOR KIDS!!

Anyway here's a clip from that movie if you're interested but don't watch it if you don't want happy memories of raccoon Mario destroyed for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9Sxp2mkZk

GamerofMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GamerofMario1

^ That comic sounds amazing, in a funny way. :P

It is finally time to close this battle, and with a 10-0 victory, the Tanooki Suit wins!

210px-TanookiMario_SMB3.jpg