IkeXC07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 IkeXC07
Member since 2004 • 8980 Posts

While with the talk that the new zelda is going to offer 70+ hours of gameplay and have an overworld 2-3 times bigger than OoT. Is it possible that the new game might be on two or more discs?

ukguvnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ukguvnor
Member since 2004 • 12705 Posts
The GC disks can hold more than 2-3 times more than N64 cartridges, so no, it should fit on 1 disk. Look at the size of WW, all on one disk
BurningDragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BurningDragoon
Member since 2004 • 5134 Posts
Maybe because i doubt that so much information would fit in one disc, so 2 discs might be the best option.
IkeXC07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IkeXC07

The GC disks can hold more than 2-3 times more than N64 cartridges, so no, it should fit on 1 disk. Look at the size of WW, all on one disk
ukguvnor

True but OoT was old N64 graphics these are new graphics that look very good and probably look like they hold a ton of information.

BurningDragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BurningDragoon

ukguvnor

remember that WW is cell shaded, the new one has better graphics.

Avatar image for Project_Nemesis
Project_Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Project_Nemesis
Member since 2003 • 5959 Posts
2 discs would be neato. i like games with more than 1 disc. i dont know why.....
alpha99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 alpha99
Member since 2003 • 380 Posts
Because Nintendo usally avoids space wasting voice acting and FMV, they should be able to fit the game on one disc. Personally I think a two disc Zelda game wouldn't work, as at times you need to travel all over the world to complete side-quests and that would make those frustrating. Also one of the best things about Zelda games is its seamless world, two discs would break that up IMO.
Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts
Because Nintendo usally avoids space wasting voice acting and FMV, they should be able to fit the game on one disc. Personally I think a two disc Zelda game wouldn't work, as at times you need to travel all over the world to complete side-quests and that would make those frustrating. Also one of the best things about Zelda games is its seamless world, two discs would break that up IMO.alpha99

You hit the nail on the head completely.
ocarina_jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 ocarina_jedi
Member since 2003 • 778 Posts
I think the only way Zelda would work on two disks would be if it's split up into two quests. Two halves of the game, if you will. Similar to OoT, but the quests would be of similar length. In OoT, I am calling the first part as child Link one quest, and then the second part as Adult Link a second part. Obviously, this would mean you could not go back and forth between the two quests, meaning once you finish that part of the game, you can't go back to it at all.

DaAznSaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaAznSaN
Member since 2003 • 5656 Posts
[QUOTE="alpha99"]Because Nintendo usally avoids space wasting voice acting and FMV, they should be able to fit the game on one disc. Personally I think a two disc Zelda game wouldn't work, as at times you need to travel all over the world to complete side-quests and that would make those frustrating. Also one of the best things about Zelda games is its seamless world, two discs would break that up IMO.Saruman1719

Not quite. If any of you have played Tales of Symphonia (which I'm sure many of you people have), then you can have all the areas and quests split on two discs just fine. Side-quests and such would not need to require switching between discs just to finish them.

Because of that, the seamless world would only need to be broken up once.
Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts
[QUOTE="Saruman1719"][QUOTE="alpha99"]Because Nintendo usally avoids space wasting voice acting and FMV, they should be able to fit the game on one disc. Personally I think a two disc Zelda game wouldn't work, as at times you need to travel all over the world to complete side-quests and that would make those frustrating. Also one of the best things about Zelda games is its seamless world, two discs would break that up IMO.DaAznSaN

Not quite. If any of you have played Tales of Symphonia (which I'm sure many of you people have), then you can have all the areas and quests split on two discs just fine. Side-quests and such would not need to require switching between discs just to finish them.

Haven't played ToS but...either way, he's right about the voice acting. That would have taken up alot of space. I can't see it being on two discs.
bigpeternelson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 bigpeternelson
Member since 2004 • 2003 Posts
It would be awesome for it all to fit on to 1 disc..
alpha99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 alpha99
That worked with ToS (which was great, BTW), because most of the voice acting and FMV that doesn't need to be reused from disc to disc. But I don't think a Zelda game would need to use that path. Nintendo will just pack it all on to one disc, they haven't done a two disc game yet and I doubt they will. Two discs or one it'll be a great game...
itzameeh12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 itzameeh12
Member since 2004 • 753 Posts
it may be possible... just like ToS (greeat game!) with 2 discs. i sorta like the idea of 2 discs though. makes me feel like i have more game to go (that's how i felt when i was playing ToS)
talon4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 talon4001
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts
if they did the dungeouns would probabably be on one disk, and the over world and towns would be on the other, because generally when you go in a dungeon, you don't come out until it's done.
nuck44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nuck44
Member since 2004 • 5152 Posts
I don't think 2 discs would be that much of a problem IMO. If it means a bigger world with better graphics, I'm all for it.
GOLFRPM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 GOLFRPM
Member since 2005 • 66 Posts

SOUNDS LIKE MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK

natiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 natiko
Member since 2005 • 13284 Posts

If they did it would probably be divided into two different times/worlds(like regular and dark).

Link2025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Link2025
Member since 2003 • 1573 Posts

[QUOTE="Saruman1719"][QUOTE="alpha99"]Because Nintendo usually avoids space wasting voice acting and FMV, they should be able to fit the game on one disc. Personally I think a two disc Zelda game wouldn't work, as at times you need to travel all over the world to complete side-quests and that would make those frustrating. Also one of the best things about Zelda games is its seamless world, two discs would break that up IMO.DaAznSaN

A 2 disc Zelda game would work and I don't really have a problem with that but like Saruman1719 said, Nintendo likes to create seamless worlds. Nintendo probably knows best how to maximize their own discs since it's their console and they have had plenty of experience with past 1st party GC games. Tales of Symphonia had some video cutscenes and a lot of voice acting which used up more space and led to a 2 disc game. Disc 1 of ToS probably wasn't entirely full and Disc 2 probably wasn't just what they couldn't fit on Disc 1. Namco most likely proportioned the discs so they wouldn't end up that way but most likely Disc 1 had the most data. The only games that didn't really feel proportional in disc space were the Resident Evil games. In RE4, like 70% of the adventure is on the Disc 1 and the rest on Disc 2 and all the bonus levels/minigames were put on both discs.

breadstickguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 breadstickguy
Member since 2002 • 636 Posts
Well.. Tales of symphonia was on two discs and it was just over 40 hours.
I'd imagine that it would be on two discs, especially if there are big, detailed cutscenes.
alpha99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 alpha99

Well.. Tales of symphonia was on two discs and it was just over 40 hours.
I'd imagine that it would be on two discs, especially if there are big, detailed cutscenes.
breadstickguy

But like I and others said, ToS contains lots of voice work and a fair amount of FMV that forced them to use two discs, so game length isn't really what forces game developers to use more than one disc.

Mr_Bob471

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mr_Bob471
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts

[QUOTE="ukguvnor"]The GC disks can hold more than 2-3 times more than N64 cartridges, so no, it should fit on 1 disk. Look at the size of WW, all on one disk
IkeXC07

True but OoT was old N64 graphics these are new graphics that look very good and probably look like they hold a ton of information.

Actually what is very interesting is that Cell-Shading takes more gigs out of the game :). However, when you add the expressions they will be using and the 70+ hrs, etc it may be on 2 disks. Look at Goldeneye Rouge Agent. A horrible game with...sub par graphics for a Bond game and not very long, yet on 2 discs.

BurningDragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BurningDragoon
[QUOTE="IkeXC07"]

[QUOTE="ukguvnor"]The GC disks can hold more than 2-3 times more than N64 cartridges, so no, it should fit on 1 disk. Look at the size of WW, all on one disk
Mr_Bob471

Actually what is very interesting is that Cell-Shading takes more gigs out of the game :). However, when you add the expressions they will be using and the 70+ hrs, etc it may be on 2 disks. Look at Goldeneye Rouge Agent. A horrible game with...sub par graphics for a Bond game and not very long, yet on 2 discs.

Rogue agent in the GC version is 2 disk?? In the Ps2 version is just one. Man i was really dissapointed with rogue agent :(.

A 2 disk zelda would be better i believe because the developers can act more freely and dont have to supress graphics or cutscenes.

nuck44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nuck44
Member since 2004 • 5152 Posts
[QUOTE="Mr_Bob471"][QUOTE="IkeXC07"]

BurningDragoon

Rogue agent in the GC version is 2 disk?? In the Ps2 version is just one. Man i was really dissapointed with rogue agent :(.

A 2 disk zelda would be better i believe because the developers can act more freely and dont have to supress graphics or cutscenes.

The GC disk can hold 1.5 GB.... Possibly, the graphics in the GC version were better than the PS2 version and thus needed more disc space?

I'm really not sure ...
darkshadow64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darkshadow64
Member since 2004 • 6744 Posts

How about playing as Link on one disc and as Zelda on the other disc.(she has a sword now.she can fight her own battles)

That would work.

ocarina_jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ocarina_jedi
Hmmm I dunno about that. I think I'd rather see Zelda stay as an NPC. Link is the real hero here.
BurningDragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BurningDragoon

How about playing as Link on one disc and as Zelda on the other disc.(she has a sword now.she can fight her own battles)

That would work.

darkshadow64

remember the forbidden Zelda games, no talking about zelda as a player.

alpha99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 alpha99
Like I said, it's important to note that voice and FMVs (video) are usally the culprits that force developers to make 2 disc games on GCN or even on PS2. Personally I don't really think the therory of "More Discs = More Gameplay" is always correct. RE(remake) and RE4 where two disc games, with VERY short sections of gameplay on their respective 2nd discs. Since Nintendo RARELY uses FMV and the Zelda games will probably never feature more voice than a simple "hello!" clip or something, I'm pretty sure the game will be on one disc.
natiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 natiko
Member since 2005 • 13284 Posts
[QUOTE="darkshadow64"]

That would work.

BurningDragoon

remember the forbidden Zelda games, no talking about zelda as a player.

NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A-Low

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 A-Low
Member since 2004 • 5380 Posts

2 discs would be neato. i like games with more than 1 disc. i dont know why.....Project_Nemesis

Yeah i know, same here. I think it's because it makes it look longer.

DouglasBuffone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#31 DouglasBuffone
Member since 2004 • 9421 Posts
if it was 70+ hours of gameplay, it would be like 7 discs
A-Low

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 A-Low

if it was 70+ hours of gameplay, it would be like 7 discsDouglasBuffone

I don't think so cause ffx was about 40 hrs. long and it only had one disc. WW was about 30 to 40 hrs. and it was on one disc. I think it's up to 2 disc, and 3 at the very most.

BurningDragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BurningDragoon

[QUOTE="DouglasBuffone"]if it was 70+ hours of gameplay, it would be like 7 discsA-Low

I don't think so cause ffx was about 40 hrs. long and it only had one disc. WW was about 30 to 40 hrs. and it was on one disc. I think it's up to 2 disc, and 3 at the very most.

I really doubt that they would make 3 discs.
ocarina_jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ocarina_jedi

[QUOTE="DouglasBuffone"]if it was 70+ hours of gameplay, it would be like 7 discsA-Low

WW took you 30-40 hours?? You don't mean Wind Waker do you? It took me 20 at most. I didn't get 100% on the game, but even if you did, it shouldn't take that long...
bassboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bassboi
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
hi guys

I personally think that 2 discs would be a great idea. I've read that it's Nintendo's nature to have a seamless world for you to fark around in and do your quests, but this can be quite easily breached.

Remember how in OoT, you were a kid, got 3 stones and then got the master sword and became an adult? I think this sort of scheme would be perfect for 2 discs; but then again, often times you have to back-track and do stuff in areas you've already completed... Like going back into the woods in the Kokiri Forest to access the Forest Temple? That's the sort of idea I just thought about:

I noticed the previously stated idea of having the dungeons on one disc, and the massive world on the other disc... This would be pretty good unless you're the lazy type (i r guilty of that) and don't wanna get up and change the disc every time you go in a dungeon. Also, this can be a not-so-bad idea because since one disc could offer you the whole map, including things such as the Lon Lon Ranch, Korkariko(sp?) Village, Hyrule Castle, and other areas that you have to go across to access the dungeons. It wouldn't be that shallow of a map, though, because it'd be a good thing to extend this map disc as far as possible to incude everything except the dungeons; meaning, the map would be like the OoT, minus all the temples starting at the entrance. In addition to that, the "dungeon" disc would not only contain all the dungeons you'd need to get past to advance in the game, but it would also start the dungeons off right at the entrance just like you left the map disc, and force you to swap back once you complete the dungeon finish watching/reading the ending cutscene. As far as I know, there arn't many cutscenes in a Zelda game, but the I'd put them on the dungeon's disc.

A good idea I came up with to be able to use 2 discs is when you enter/exit a dungeon, have the system report that you swap the discs, and press a button like A or something to continue, which would be a fairly easy job to do if your system is not in a cumbersome area.

One more thing, if none of this makes any sense, slap me. Lack of sleep caused me to type all that. :\
BurningDragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BurningDragoon
hi guys

I personally think that 2 discs would be a great idea. I've read that it's Nintendo's nature to have a seamless world for you to fark around in and do your quests, but this can be quite easily breached.

Remember how in OoT, you were a kid, got 3 stones and then got the master sword and became an adult? I think this sort of scheme would be perfect for 2 discs; but then again, often times you have to back-track and do stuff in areas you've already completed... Like going back into the woods in the Kokiri Forest to access the Forest Temple? That's the sort of idea I just thought about:

I noticed the previously stated idea of having the dungeons on one disc, and the massive world on the other disc... This would be pretty good unless you're the lazy type (i r guilty of that) and don't wanna get up and change the disc every time you go in a dungeon. Also, this can be a not-so-bad idea because since one disc could offer you the whole map, including things such as the Lon Lon Ranch, Korkariko(sp?) Village, Hyrule Castle, and other areas that you have to go across to access the dungeons. It wouldn't be that shallow of a map, though, because it'd be a good thing to extend this map disc as far as possible to incude everything except the dungeons; meaning, the map would be like the OoT, minus all the temples starting at the entrance. In addition to that, the "dungeon" disc would not only contain all the dungeons you'd need to get past to advance in the game, but it would also start the dungeons off right at the entrance just like you left the map disc, and force you to swap back once you complete the dungeon finish watching/reading the ending cutscene. As far as I know, there arn't many cutscenes in a Zelda game, but the I'd put them on the dungeon's disc.

A good idea I came up with to be able to use 2 discs is when you enter/exit a dungeon, have the system report that you swap the discs, and press a button like A or something to continue, which would be a fairly easy job to do if your system is not in a cumbersome area.

One more thing, if none of this makes any sense, slap me. Lack of sleep caused me to type all that. :\
bassboi

Kakariko village is the correct spelling.
And i personnally dont think in this idea. Thats not becuase im lazy, i think it would be becuase it'd get annoying. I like fighting the boss, even if i already finished the game or just replay the dungeon.
IkeXC07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 IkeXC07
[QUOTE="A-Low"]

[QUOTE="DouglasBuffone"]if it was 70+ hours of gameplay, it would be like 7 discsocarina_jedi

WW took you 30-40 hours?? You don't mean Wind Waker do you? It took me 20 at most. I didn't get 100% on the game, but even if you did, it shouldn't take that long...

I put about that much time into the game getting all the heart pieces and doing all the sidequests. It took me a while to chart my whole map. But I don't think Nintendo would do a 2 disc mainly because they know their hardware and can fit onto one disc and they don't have any voice acting or FMV.

A-Low

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 A-Low
[QUOTE="A-Low"]

[QUOTE="DouglasBuffone"]if it was 70+ hours of gameplay, it would be like 7 discsocarina_jedi

No, that's not what I meant. Personally, I beat WW with about 80% collected in around 18 hours my first time through. I tried to measure the amount of disc space using hours spent on gameplay.

AJ_THE_GREAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 AJ_THE_GREAT
Member since 2004 • 1167 Posts
I think only one disk.
BurningDragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points