Link2025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Link2025
Member since 2003 • 1573 Posts

I thought the parry attack in the Wind Waker was pretty cool but hardly ever used. I would like to see it return in the new Zelda, possibly with different animations for different monsters.

Avatar image for Legend_O_Dragon
Legend_O_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Legend_O_Dragon
Member since 2004 • 7029 Posts

I thought the parry attack in the Wind Waker was pretty cool but hardly ever used. I would like to see it return in the new Zelda, possibly with different animations for different monsters.

Link2025
lol i just respoded i ur post in that other topic and i said the parry feature rulz!!!!!but seriously the parry would rule in zelda 05 and should be used more
Link2025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Link2025
Remember how Link does a downward stab against the spider in the new trailer? That could possibly be one when a spider falls on its back or something.
chicken89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 chicken89
Member since 2004 • 1776 Posts

Remember how Link does a downward stab against the spider in the new trailer? That could possibly be one when a spider falls on its back or something.Link2025

yeah or something

Avatar image for Legend_O_Dragon
Legend_O_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Legend_O_Dragon
Member since 2004 • 7029 Posts
Remember how Link does a downward stab against the spider in the new trailer? That could possibly be one when a spider falls on its back or something.Link2025
i hope so parry is teh kewl
DaAznSaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaAznSaN
Member since 2003 • 5656 Posts
The parry is a good idea but I didn't like how it was implemented in the Wind Waker. It was mostly only used against the armored enemies, and you can only do it when you're given the prompt. I would much rather have it like the countering in fighting games. You can press the block button (in Zelda, the shield) the moment ANY enemy strikes you and you'll perform some type of counter.

This could also be used to avoid projectiles. Link has a delay time till he pulls out his shield but if you press the button just as the projectile is about to reach you, you'll perform a quick sidestep and you'll be able to quickly attack.

The main problem I noticed with Zelda games is that you usually just hold up your shield and wait for an opening. I want to the next Zelda to remove that aspect by rewarding players who are more aggressive but still avoid damage with good timing on dodges and counters.
Barmy_Brat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Barmy_Brat
Member since 2004 • 1350 Posts

The parry is a good idea but I didn't like how it was implemented in the Wind Waker. It was mostly only used against the armored enemies, and you can only do it when you're given the prompt. I would much rather have it like the countering in fighting games. You can press the block button (in Zelda, the shield) the moment ANY enemy strikes you and you'll perform some type of counter.

This could also be used to avoid projectiles. Link has a delay time till he pulls out his shield but if you press the button just as the projectile is about to reach you, you'll perform a quick sidestep and you'll be able to quickly attack.

The main problem I noticed with Zelda games is that you usually just hold up your shield and wait for an opening. I want to the next Zelda to remove that aspect by rewarding players who are more aggressive but still avoid damage with good timing on dodges and counters.
DaAznSaN

Well said. I totally agree, and your ideas seem pretty good as well. Good job!

Mr_Bob471

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Mr_Bob471
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts

[QUOTE="DaAznSaN"]The parry is a good idea but I didn't like how it was implemented in the Wind Waker. It was mostly only used against the armored enemies, and you can only do it when you're given the prompt. I would much rather have it like the countering in fighting games. You can press the block button (in Zelda, the shield) the moment ANY enemy strikes you and you'll perform some type of counter.

Barmy_Brat

I agree, the atack itself was a very good addition giving you further atack options, although it could have been used in more situations then that and fighting Orca. They may be further expanding on this in "Zelda o5". In the trailer we saw Link giving a small spider a taste of down thrust, what else could it be used for...
_Vortex_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _Vortex_
Member since 2004 • 641 Posts
[QUOTE="Barmy_Brat"]

[QUOTE="DaAznSaN"]The parry is a good idea but I didn't like how it was implemented in the Wind Waker. It was mostly only used against the armored enemies, and you can only do it when you're given the prompt. I would much rather have it like the countering in fighting games. You can press the block button (in Zelda, the shield) the moment ANY enemy strikes you and you'll perform some type of counter.

Mr_Bob471

I agree, the atack itself was a very good addition giving you further atack options, although it could have been used in more situations then that and fighting Orca. They may be further expanding on this in "Zelda o5". In the trailer we saw Link giving a small spider a taste of down thrust, what else could it be used for...

those would all be great things to add in, i always thought they should find more ways to implement magic into the fighting like adding more special attacks that used the magic meter, and i always thought they should give you the bow early in the game and then later have a crossbow as an upgrade

IkeXC07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 IkeXC07
Member since 2004 • 8980 Posts

Link2025

Agree 100%

Sizzletop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sizzletop
Member since 2004 • 2511 Posts

Link2025
What if the parry attack varied on where you were. Such as if you were next to a wall he would use that wall for an attack like mabee go and do a matrix flip and land behind youre enemies. Just a thought
DaAznSaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaAznSaN
[QUOTE="Link2025"]

Sizzletop
What if the parry attack varied on where you were. Such as if you were next to a wall he would use that wall for an attack like mabee go and do a matrix flip and land behind youre enemies. Just a thought

I had a similar thought about this. By backflipping into a wall, for example, he can jump off the wall for a slight height boost so he can come down with a stronger sword plant.

We have to keep in mind that Link is not a ninja and we can't expect him to be flipping off walls or doing anything crazy like in the Prince of Persia. :P

LordJinChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 LordJinChaos
Member since 2004 • 17713 Posts
That would be a nice idea al long as they didn't blow it out of proportion like PoP. But they could have a couple of awesome moves.
Link2025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Link2025
[QUOTE="Sizzletop"][QUOTE="Link2025"]

DaAznSaN

I had a similar thought about this. By backflipping into a wall, for example, he can jump off the wall for a slight height boost so he can come down with a stronger sword plant.

We have to keep in mind that Link is not a ninja and we can't expect him to be flipping off walls or doing anything crazy like in the Prince of Persia. :P

Yeah I wouldn't want Link getting too acrobatic. And in response to your block or counter button, wouldn't that make things a little too easy? If any attack could be countered, I wouldn't want that. Naturally there should be some attacks that Link can't block and if you get hurt by them, it's your own fault for not dodging out of the way. The Parry move should be implemented when the enemy shows signs of weakness and lets his guard down for a few moments and only in this time could you execute a counter move.

DaAznSaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaAznSaN
[QUOTE="DaAznSaN"][QUOTE="Sizzletop"][QUOTE="Link2025"]

Link2025

Yeah I wouldn't want Link getting too acrobatic. And in response to your block or counter button, wouldn't that make things a little too easy? If any attack could be countered, I wouldn't want that. Naturally there should be some attacks that Link can't block and if you get hurt by them, it's your own fault for not dodging out of the way. The Parry move should be implemented when the enemy shows signs of weakness and lets his guard down for a few moments and only in this time could you execute a counter move.

Yes, there will be some attacks that you simply can't block i.e. a huge fireball or a slash from a 50 ft. monster. However, if you play a game like Soul Calibur II, you'll see that countering is a lot harder than it looks because you have to block the moment an attack is about to strike you. In Wind Waker, you're given a prompt so you'll know when you need to press the button and you're given a bit of time to react. The counter I want is a lot tougher to pull off since you're not given any prompts and if enemies have varied attacks, it makes it even tougher to predict their actions.

To avoid the bigger attacks, it will require backflips and shielding.
N-Revolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 N-Revolution
Member since 2004 • 2682 Posts
I like how it was implemented in Wind Waker. It was useful for a wide variety of enemies. It would be really interesting to see what the more realistic Link's counter attacks will look like.
imnotwhite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 imnotwhite
Member since 2005 • 6437 Posts
[QUOTE="Link2025"][QUOTE="DaAznSaN"][QUOTE="Sizzletop"][QUOTE="Link2025"]

DaAznSaN

Yes, there will be some attacks that you simply can't block i.e. a huge fireball or a slash from a 50 ft. monster. However, if you play a game like Soul Calibur II, you'll see that countering is a lot harder than it looks because you have to block the moment an attack is about to strike you. In Wind Waker, you're given a prompt so you'll know when you need to press the button and you're given a bit of time to react. The counter I want is a lot tougher to pull off since you're not given any prompts and if enemies have varied attacks, it makes it even tougher to predict their actions.

yes but you neede the pary to defeat WW ganon why did i bring this topic back? TO REMIND YOU TO LOCK OLD TOPICS SO "SOME PEOPLE" DONT POST IN THEM
linkzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 linkzero
Member since 2003 • 22150 Posts
[QUOTE="Link2025"][QUOTE="DaAznSaN"][QUOTE="Sizzletop"][QUOTE="Link2025"]

DaAznSaN

But if you've practiced enough at a game like Soul Calibur II, you'll notice that you'll be able to parry nearly all attacks. It would severely change the fighting mechanics. I think the parry was implemented well, as it should only be used at times of necessity, whereas dodging should be used primarily.

GBAGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GBAGB
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts
[QUOTE="Mr_Bob471"][QUOTE="Barmy_Brat"]

_Vortex_

those would all be great things to add in, i always thought they should find more ways to implement magic into the fighting like adding more special attacks that used the magic meter, and i always thought they should give you the bow early in the game and then later have a crossbow as an upgrade

that would be a cool idea about the bow but with a crossbow u cant control how far the arrow would go but more on topic i was satisfied with the parry attack in WW but would like to see it used more often

imnotwhite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 imnotwhite
Member since 2005 • 6437 Posts
point is its something all games andfighting should TRY
hermanson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hermanson
Member since 2005 • 2404 Posts

DaAznSaN

that sounds cool, i do hope it is something like that.

Link-from-Hell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Link-from-Hell
Member since 2004 • 1343 Posts
[QUOTE="Link2025"]

Sizzletop

Yeah that would be cool, but Link is not some sort of ninja or something so they could just keep it basic.

BTW I like your sig telling you the IP and stuff lol.