waZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

User Lists: 0

#1 waZelda
Member since 2006 • 2956 Posts
The other day, I saw the film "finding neverland" about the writer behind Peter Pan. Then it struck me. Do you think Miyamoto was somehow inspired by Peter Pan. I mean, Link is dressed in green, the fairys are in many games like balls of ligth and the kokiris never grow up. It seems like the kokiris are a group of children who live like Peter Pan.
metroid_dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 metroid_dragon
Member since 2003 • 1964 Posts

The other day, I saw the film "finding neverland" about the writer behind Peter Pan. Then it struck me. Do you think Miyamoto was somehow inspired by Peter Pan. I mean, Link is dressed in green, the fairys are in many games like balls of ligth and the kokiris never grow up. It seems like the kokiris are a group of children who live like Peter Pan.waZelda

Personally I believe that is more of a coincidence than anything else. There were many inspirations for the series, mainly Miyamoto's childhood cave exploring, but as for character design I've never heard of anything that would imply that Miyamoto ever even saw Peter Pan before making the original Zelda.

Avatar image for zeldafreak4life
zeldafreak4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 zeldafreak4life
Member since 2006 • 677 Posts
When i was younger i would think that, but now ( within the last 7 years ) ive realized that its a coincidence. Actually, its not even a coincidence. Its not at all like peter pan. Link has green clothes. So what. Have you ever seen peter pan searching for the triforce and slaying hundreds of beasts as he looks for it? Have you ever seen Peter pan confront a humongous Moblin king in order to save a princess? Hyrule isnt exactly never land buddy.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#4 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I would say no Miyamoto said what inspired him to make Zelda and by the way Link does not fly he grows up and he faces a very powerful villain in Ganonndorf.Also Link faces huge enmies and has weapons like the Bow,Hookshot,Arrows,Mirrior Shield and Boomerang to name a few.

UNOwen802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 UNOwen802
Member since 2006 • 2935 Posts
I'd say Luigi was more of an inspiration than Peter Pan. There are your green clothes right there. Also, the Ganondorf arguement doesn't work here. At the time, he was Ganon. Originally, the fairies weren't balls of light. They were about Link's size and hung out by lakes. Also, the Kokiri weren't even a sparkle in Miyamoto's eye at the time.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well, there are many characters that wear green, and I don't see Peter Pan going against an evel king, or Link going against an evil pirate. So really, it's more of a coincidence.

waZelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#7 waZelda
Member since 2006 • 2956 Posts

When i was younger i would think that, but now ( within the last 7 years ) ive realized that its a coincidence. Actually, its not even a coincidence. Its not at all like peter pan. Link has green clothes. So what. Have you ever seen peter pan searching for the triforce and slaying hundreds of beasts as he looks for it? Have you ever seen Peter pan confront a humongous Moblin king in order to save a princess? Hyrule isnt exactly never land buddy. zeldafreak4life

I do not just mean Link, but the kokiries. They are dressed in green, they never grow up, and they have fairies that are simular to Tingeling.

GunnerVIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 GunnerVIII
Member since 2006 • 4135 Posts
I don't think peter pan is as popular in japan as it was here, therefore I don't think they referenced to that.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="zeldafreak4life"]When i was younger i would think that, but now ( within the last 7 years ) ive realized that its a coincidence. Actually, its not even a coincidence. Its not at all like peter pan. Link has green clothes. So what. Have you ever seen peter pan searching for the triforce and slaying hundreds of beasts as he looks for it? Have you ever seen Peter pan confront a humongous Moblin king in order to save a princess? Hyrule isnt exactly never land buddy. waZelda

I do not just mean Link, but the kokiries. They are dressed in green, they never grow up, and they have fairies that are simular to Tingeling.

That's definetely a nice amount of similarities, but I still think it's just coincidence. I don't think Miyamoto has ever watched Peter Pan, but maybe I'm wrong.

glennwinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 glennwinton
Member since 2006 • 15480 Posts

i think i remember hearing or reading somewhere that he just made link green and all that to make him more visible, kinda like the way he designed Mario

also, it's a complete coincidence about everything, the colors, the koriki, everything

Gary_Jinfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Gary_Jinfield
Member since 2005 • 6614 Posts

Well, the koriki were used more than anything to hide and shield Link until the time was right to begin his adventure. The forest was meant to be a refuge for the player in the early part of the game as Link is amid a perpetual world of innocence, until the incident with the Deku Tree of course. In a way, all the evil that is conducted in the forest is similar to the loss of innocence as one grows older, a concept that reaches fruition upon Ganon's full take over of Hyrule, even taking that which was Link's childhood.

Going back to the concept of safety, Link is essentially a "tree in the forest". Nintendo most likely wanted him among similar individuals for the first part of the game as to feel safer and a greater sense of belonging in a way. This would also provide an origin for Link's odd attire, allowing this Link to set a precedent for future Links. (As Ocarina of Time was considered the first in the series timeline wise at the time.