bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 bugbag
Member since 2006 • 33275 Posts

This was a topic previously discussed by a few members in the off-topic thread, and although we wrapped things up nicely, I thought it would be a good idea to revive it and give us something to talk about. Do you believe some games are art? Are all games art? If not, can they be art? These are three questions often tossed around internet forums, so it's only appropriate we have a larger discussion here.

I personally believe all games are visually art, but something I dub as mental art, in which something touches you mentally, has only been achieved by a few games. What I see as true art is the MGS series, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico and Okami.

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Kman5507
Member since 2009 • 7902 Posts
The graphics are definately art. The story could be considered art. Playing them? No. Thats not art.
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bugbag

I agree, playing games can never be art unless if the game is about building something artistic.

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kman5507
But would it be art? It would be making art. Its like this: A painter painting is not art. The painting is art, but not painting... does that make sense? :P
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bugbag

But would it be art? It would be making art. Its like this: A painter painting is not art. The painting is art, but not painting... does that make sense? :PKman5507
It's another conspiracy.:P

I see what you're saying, and I agree. I don't know if I could look at a person playing a game and see it as art... That's just crazy!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
no it's not :3, jumping on innocent turtles is just wrong :3 Seriously, it is. Being bashed so much recently, but it is art. Think about it. Music, graphical design, story, characters, etc
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bugbag

no it's not :3, jumping on innocent turtles is just wrong :3 Seriously, it is. Being bashed so much recently, but it is art. Think about it. Music, graphical design, story, characters, etcThe_Last_Ride
Who bashed you?

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kman5507
I think he's talking about videogames being bashed. Didn't you hear? Some crazy guy shot a bunch of kids at a school a while ago, so the NRA(thats naional rifle association for whover doesn't know) blames videogames (even though I'm not sure if I've read anything about him ever even touching a video game). To be honest it was pretty clever on their part even though we all know they're wrong. One day everyone was complaining about gun control not being good enough in the US and as soon as they said that people forgot all about guns.
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bugbag

I think he's talking about videogames being bashed. Didn't you hear? Some crazy guy shot a bunch of kids at a school a while ago, so the NRA(thats naional rifle association for whover doesn't know) blames videogames (even though I'm not sure if I've read anything about him ever even touching a video game). To be honest it was pretty clever on their part even though we all know they're wrong. One day everyone was complaining about gun control not being good enough in the US and as soon as they said that people forgot all about guns.Kman5507
I heard about it. I also heard the man who did it had played Bulletstorm and Black Ops 2. The fact they would link that with the shooting is just ridiculous.

@TLR Sorry, I read your post wrong.:P

koolkat14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 koolkat14
Member since 2009 • 10428 Posts
I do wonder how does people manage to come up with statements for a question such as this. Anyway, I guess it is considered as art in a way.
Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kman5507

I heard about it. I also heard the man who did it had played Bulletstorm and Black Ops 2. The fact they would link that with the shooting is just ridiculous.

bugbag

Yea and I hear 100% of murderers drank water at one point in their life!

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bugbag

[QUOTE="bugbag"]

Kman5507

Yea and I hear 100% of murderers drank water at one point in their life!

I can see how a game could affect a child, slightly. If they think about doing something as horrible as a mass shooting at a school, then something was already wrong with them. And the fact a rifle association would target something electronic is just idiotic.

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kman5507

Well yea, but look at what happened.

People yell at the NRA for wanting to protect our right to have guns promised in the bill of right.

They find an easy scapegoat

Now people blame the games and not the NRA.

So really even though we all know they're wrong, they may even know they're wrong,  it drew fire from them. I hate to admit it, but that was a pretty smart plan...

I don't understand how they could even make a connection between games and violence IRL. I know for a fact that people who play games like COD ans Halo are probably worse at using guns than those who do not.

Abd since we are already off topic enough here, I guess I should open that thread I was thinking about opening when more people showed up... 

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bugbag

I'm just going to post my final thoughts, and then I'll get back on topic.:P

Actually, on second thought, I'll keep my thoughts to myself on this one... At least for now.

Which games would you guys consider arts, since we all agree they are art?

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

I don't think many games should be called art but that doesn't bother me. As long as they are fun that is all I care.

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kman5507

Actually, on second thought, I'll keep my thoughts to myself on this one... At least for now.

bugbag

They all are. even the bad ones. Just because something isn't good that doesn't mean it isn't art. Haven't you ever heard of that guy who doesn't even paint, he just throws cans of paint on a canvas, and people pay millions of dollars for his work. 

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bugbag
[QUOTE="bugbag"]

Kman5507

They all are. even the bad ones. Just because something isn't good that doesn't mean it isn't art. Haven't you ever heard of that guy who doesn't even paint, he just throws cans of paint on a canvas, and people pay millions of dollars for his work.

Graphically, all games are art like you said, but mentally, some just can't be considered art, in my opinion. I meant when it comes to story.

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kman5507
I didn't know there was mental art.
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bugbag

I divided art into different categories because I believe art extends beyond eyesight. It takes something special to touch you emotionally, and whenever I come across something like that I call it mental art. Millions of people would probably criticize my term for it, but I'm Bugbag, I do what I want to.:P

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kman5507
Well then it is like I said before still. Even bad art is still art.
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bugbag

I don't know though, I see it as being more subjective than that when it comes to the mental aspect, not the visual one. It really has to make me say, "This is art." ....I don't that makes much sense.:P

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kman5507
Well if you see a drawing by a four year old you won't react the same to artwork by someone like Da Vinci.
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bugbag

But I've never been big on Da Vinci's art.:P

And this goes beyond drawings. Like Call of Duty... It doesn't really try to be art when it comes to story, nor is it in my opinion. Journey is. Both are graphically.

I'm confusing myself!:cry:

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kman5507

Yea but if you look at a painting you get something mentally pleasing/disturbing out of it don't you?

Maybe if we look up the definition of art in a dictionary

"Art  [ahrt]  

noun

a male given nameform of Arthur"

...this doesn't help does it? :P 

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="Kman5507"]I think he's talking about videogames being bashed. Didn't you hear? Some crazy guy shot a bunch of kids at a school a while ago, so the NRA(thats naional rifle association for whover doesn't know) blames videogames (even though I'm not sure if I've read anything about him ever even touching a video game). To be honest it was pretty clever on their part even though we all know they're wrong. One day everyone was complaining about gun control not being good enough in the US and as soon as they said that people forgot all about guns.bugbag

@TLR Sorry, I read your post wrong.:P

yeah i was kind of being ironic :P
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bugbag

@Kman Makes sense to me.

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kman5507
Ah cool. So does this mean we should make a game titled Arthur and then we can call it Art?
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bugbag

That would be quite a trick.

What would Arthur be about?:P

ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 ShadowofSonic
Member since 2009 • 24616 Posts
B!tch pls. I can pull out buckets of video games for the whole 'Video Games as Art Movement'. I have never been moved enough by a piece of art on the wall to have an emotional breakdown. Sames goes for music. Or movies, really. Only video games can put all three of those things together, and add in the one special thing that leaves them all behind. You. This is happening to you. You killed your former mentor that gave you everything you know, you walked, limped, and crawlin through a firey deathtrap to ensure a better tomarrow, even though you wouldn't be there to enjoy it. That's what gets me.
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bugbag

^Well said, I agree. I like some paintings though.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="ShadowofSonic"]B!tch pls. I can pull out buckets of video games for the whole 'Video Games as Art Movement'. I have never been moved enough by a piece of art on the wall to have an emotional breakdown. Sames goes for music. Or movies, really. Only video games can put all three of those things together, and add in the one special thing that leaves them all behind. You. This is happening to you. You killed your former mentor that gave you everything you know, you walked, limped, and crawlin through a firey deathtrap to ensure a better tomarrow, even though you wouldn't be there to enjoy it. That's what gets me.

i get moved by music, movies,etc. But i know what you mean
Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kman5507

bugbag

You play as a knight named Arthur on his quest to become king of all of Europe and recruit the finest knights in the land to join your army. It will be filled with humor, but also have a plot that will get your heart pumping. Bug, Sos, I want you guys to start working on a story line and I will help where I can.

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bugbag

[QUOTE="bugbag"]

Kman5507

You play as a knight named Arthur on his quest to become king of all of Europe and recruit the finest knights in the land to join your army. It will be filled with humor, but also have a plot that will get your heart pumping. Bug, Sos, I want you guys to start working on a story line and I will help where I can.

I knew King Arthur was going to be brought into this.:P

We definitely need the story to political.

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kman5507

Yes! And I want to have a nice economy system. It would be pretty cool to add a sim city kind of aspect to it where you could build up towns.

This'll be a big project that will probably(almost definately) not get made, but I think we should make a concept anyways, Just for the fun of it! 

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bugbag

I think you should switch from the king to the knights. Like one knight journeys to Belgium for a mission connecting to his background. You play as another knight before he entered Arthur's army.

There's actually a few King Arthur games out already.:P

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kman5507

I don't want a traditional king arthur game. I don't even want it to follow the already told story. If anything, we should use the legends as a very loose guide.

I aksi think decision should make a big impact. You could be the most noble king in all the land or you could be the most evil dictator you can imagine. I really want to be able to emphasize the players ability to control the story while also giving them an enjoyable and fun story. Since none of us can even make games this probably won't be made, so who cares how possible this is :P 

ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ShadowofSonic
I'm the only one who is making a game right now. :P To busy to help you guys right now.
Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kman5507
We're not going to make it. We're just making a concept. Maybe one day when you are the head of the next bungie, you will remember this thread and create it. :P
ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ShadowofSonic
Make it. No reason not to. Start small.
Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kman5507

I have a great reason not to: I don't know how. :P

ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ShadowofSonic
I'm going to college to find out how. :P
Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kman5507

I'm not :P

I still don't know what I'm going to do...

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bugbag

I think the game would be more successful if we switched it to more of a action/adventure RPG. Where you travel Europe, and slowly build up your few knights. Due to your reputation, many different empires want you to join them in their quest for dominance, and it is up to you which one you side with. If you don't like the actions of one kingdom, you can deflect to the other side through many changes in the story. The kingdom you help will have the economic system.

Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kman5507
Yea of course it should be an action rpg. What did I say before? :P
ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ShadowofSonic
[QUOTE="Kman5507"]

I'm not :P

I still don't know what I'm going to do...

A firefighter? :P
Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kman5507

Preferably nothing that involves death.

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bugbag
Yea of course it should be an action rpg. What did I say before? :PKman5507
That he should be a king, but he should not! He should serve a king. The legend of King Arthur is only realized because Arthur shaped the world more than the kings, and was referred to as the true king after his death, because it was really him leading the empire.
Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Kman5507

Not in the book I read :P

I said before that I didn't want him to be the king arthur from the legends. I do want him to rule something though. Remember how much fun Monteriggioni was in AC II? 

ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ShadowofSonic
How about being President?
Kman5507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kman5507

I guess you could make your kingdom a democracy if you like...

@Bug

I thought about it and I think I found a way to make our ideas work together. So you aren't a king, but youeventually become Lord of a large estate and the king doesn't care what you do as long as you keep earning him taxes. Does that work?