bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 bugbag
Member since 2006 • 33275 Posts

Lately here, it seems like new games are becoming rare, and literally every major game coming out this fall is actually a sequel or spiritual successor. I personally love to see some of my favorite game series's live on, but there is nothing like experiencing a new world for the first time. Ten years ago developers were creating entirely new games, and it made gaming that much more interesting.

Now I know what you're thinking, why is this a topic? Because I would like to hear what my fellow union members think, and I also would love to know which game series do you think needs to die, so the developer can start on something new. Also, try not to get too brutal.:P

ikhzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ikhzo
Member since 2008 • 23442 Posts

Halo should die.

Also Resident Evil.

And after I saw the new Max Payne, I felt he should die too.

The old Dante of DmC has already died. I've even learnt to live without him.

What else? 

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#3 stephenage
Member since 2007 • 33416 Posts

This is an interesting topic, I'm in favour.

Commence opinion:

This is a yes and no question, on one hand sequels are great and provide some of the best gaming experiences and on the other they just keep on going and make you disatisfied with the industry. A sequel itself is not a bad thing, hell my favourite games are mostly sequels: MGS4, Half Life 2, Uncharted 2, God of War 2 and Halo 3 for example. These are games where them being a sequel was a good thing, Uncharted 2 and God of War 2 specifically took what was great about the first but took away the problems or just made improvements. This works and makes for a better game, therefore a straight second installment is no bad thing. It can be a very, very good thing. Now I love AC1 more than most of you, but AC2 is just proof of how good a sequel can be.

But why is this so? Well a sequel gives the developer a chance to respond to criticism. It's something that happens to all of us, we do something and it seems great to us but then others find a problem straight away. The people that made AC1 probably didnt see the issues because the project was such a labour of love, but then when the reviews came in they could see what was good, what bad, and learn from this. That is what makes a sequel great.

On the other hand sequels can be awful, just trotting out the same thing over again or just relying on a name to sell copies of your new game. I think Gears 3 is fantastic, though that doesn't mean I want straight up Gears 4. This is the MGS4, those games gave me closure and tied most of the loose strands up, they felt like necessary sequels. 

I could go on for a while so I will make it briefer, if you put care into a sequel and don't just repeat what's been done (if you innovate) then there's no problem. If you take a step back or a lateral step, then you lose my interest. If you are a third installment you need to do something really special, something Halo 3 did for me. Now Uncharted 3 looks great, but it doesn't look like the step up 2 was from 1, so I'm not so excited. So developers, learn from your mistakes but don't be afraid to just try something new, you can only refine so much before innovation is needed.

siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 siddarthshetty
Member since 2008 • 9463 Posts
I would like to see a sequel of those games which i liked, but some don't live up to their expectation like Dragon age 2 and everyone starts complaining sequals should be stopped. As Steve said one of the good example to great sequal is AC 2. I personally don't have any dislike towards sequals.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#5 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts
As long as the sequels bring forth improvements to the series and aren't rehashed or milked I'm fine. Though a new franchise is always welcome if it's good.
SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#6 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

As long as the sequels bring forth improvements to the series and aren't rehashed or milked I'm fine. Though a new franchise is always welcome if it's good.brickdoctor

This really. For example a lot of people maybe groan when another MotoGP title is announced but this years effort made some great improvements on last years and so was worth it! On the flip side in 2010 we had some great new title like Split/Second and Blur and I for one ( as a die hard petrol head ) thought I was in heaven :D

tntkng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 tntkng
Member since 2007 • 31323 Posts

Well looking at it from the last couple years of my game playing some of my favorite games have been sequels: MW2, Gears of War 2, Portal 2, Crysis 2, Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2, Assassin's Creed II, Bad Company 2, and so on. 

Then again Original IP games have also made a big part of my favorite games: Alan Wake, Batman:AA, Heavy Rain, Bioshock, Rage, Metro 2033, Vanquish, and so on.

I guess a part of me is sick of seeing so many sequels, but for the most part they are so well done that it never bothers me to play them. On the other hand the industry could always try to push New IP games just a little bit harder than they are. 

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

Halo, is getting retarded. I'd say that Reach is the worst game ever, if ODST never came out. and now Halo 4, with Master Chief and his jet pack. Its like, sure a jet pack for reach, but dont put it in Halo 4.

I like sequels if they are good. What I want to see is improvements where needed, and thats all. I dont want them to take out features, that normally doesnt end well =/

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bugbag
I want new fresh games. As much as I love Assassin's Creed, I would rather them end it at Assassin's Creed 3 rather than them milk it. It annoys me!
bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bob_toeback

I want new fresh games. As much as I love Assassin's Creed, I would rather them end it at Assassin's Creed 3 rather than them milk it. It annoys me!bugbag

yeah same lol, I find it odd that revelations isnt (apparently) AC 3. So that kinda makes it weird

RoseFlambe169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 RoseFlambe169
Member since 2009 • 11700 Posts

Ugh, I'm not even far along enough in any series to have stared a sequel. I almost got to the end of the first Star Ocean, but... Agh. :x In any case, from what I've seen there are a lot of sequels. I don't mind them so much and most of them seem to be enjoyable.  For me the numbers feel like another tick on the wall of what I've been missing out on. Then again, if there were new games all over the place, it'd be harder to keep track of. As long as a fair number of people want the series alive it should be fine. I do think that stories should have beginnings and ends though. Despite rarely getting to the ends of any of them myself...

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 stephenage

Halo, is getting retarded. I'd say that Reach is the worst game ever, if ODST never came out. and now Halo 4, with Master Chief and his jet pack. Its like, sure a jet pack for reach, but dont put it in Halo 4.

I like sequels if they are good. What I want to see is improvements where needed, and thats all. I dont want them to take out features, that normally doesnt end well =/

bob_toeback

Don't believe these lies. Halo Reach is such a fantastic game, as is ODST.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#13 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

bob_toeback

:o If you think that Reach and ODST are the two worst games ever you haven't played very many games. Reach is amazing, better than Halo 3 actually, and ODST was a good addition to Halo 3. I can understand someone not liking a Halo game, but giving Reach a 5.5 seems incredibly biased.

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 stephenage
Halo 3 is still the best Halo in my eyes. And I speak as the unions biggest Halo fan :P. But Reach and ODST are phenomenal games.
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts
Some games deserve sequels and some should just end.
siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 siddarthshetty
You should change your text font type or increase font size, it's difficult to read.
ikhzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ikhzo
Naah, it's fine!
siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 siddarthshetty
I felt like letters are jumbled while reading.
RoseFlambe169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RoseFlambe169
Sorry, but I have to agree. :? I don't like the font either.
bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bob_toeback

Oh my, replies to my post here :P
@Stephen - I dont thin they are too good :P agree that Halo 3 is good though. I only really like that one and the first.

@brick - What makes Reach better than the third? :P and yes I did give it a 5.5, because it makes me feel gross to play. I mean, its fun and all, Im just sick of it. I'll play the third one. And they are well made, Im not saying they arent, but I just cant say they are good games. 

RoseFlambe169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RoseFlambe169

easier for u that way? otherwise pick a font - cause if i edit or dont reply fast i always go comic sansmetalkitten

Ah, yeah. That's a little easier I suppose. It'd be nice if you used proper spelling and grammar as well, but I suppose that's asking too much. >.> Just ignore me.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bob_toeback

I agree lol. A lot of the time people complain they cant understand what someone is talking about, because of their 'grammer' or whatever. But I can read it and get the jist... its normally not that hard. Some people are more difficult to understand of course, but I think that if you care enough to read what someone is saying, you normally can get what theyre talking about...

Your last sentance for example, I could say makes no sense. But if I actually look at it, it makes perfect sense, I would just be complaining

RoseFlambe169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RoseFlambe169
Meh, I know it tends to be a nuance when it comes to the Internet, but just thought I'd ask. Not something worth yelling about. I don't know why you guys keep using the word "complain" though. I thought I was careful enough in my wording so that it wasn't phrased as a complaint.
bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bob_toeback
Rofl, well Im not yelling, and apparently neither are you. I was talking in a generalized statement toward all people who start talking about grammer. You can, its just I dont think its something that is really a big deal, especially when its clear what theyre saying :P
RoseFlambe169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RoseFlambe169

;P Like I said, figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Yeah, I know, I know. I've been out of the gaming world for too long to have any relevant comments on games nowadays though. Gotta get out of flippin' school first. Mm, if you speak Swedish then yeah, I've heard that stuff and I'm not even going to try. I beg to differ. I think wording is everything. Anyone could put together a bunch of letters or words and make it understandable. However, I won't go on because I suppose you have a distinct knack for explaining yourself, which does give your text personality.

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bugbag
My grammar is exceptionally well, but it's understandable when people avoid using entirely proper grammar structure and usage to save time, while still getting a effective point across. Grammar and spelling is important to me because it's my life, so it's something I have to keep practicing on in many different languages in order to achieve maximum perfection.
bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bob_toeback

In regards to sequels. The Halo CE remake is great. They really did a good job at not skewing the gameplay.

yes your grammer is quite good buggy man :P

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 stephenage

My grammar is exceptionally well, but it's understandable when people avoid using entirely proper grammar structure and usage to save time, while still getting a effective point across. Grammar and spelling is important to me because it's my life, so it's something I have to keep practicing on in many different languages in order to achieve maximum perfection. bugbag

I presume this was a joke comment, due to the basic grammar issues in it.

ikhzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ikhzo

[QUOTE="bugbag"] My grammar is exceptionally well, but it's understandable when people avoid using entirely proper grammar structure and usage to save time, while still getting a effective point across. Grammar and spelling is important to me because it's my life, so it's something I have to keep practicing on in many different languages in order to achieve maximum perfection. stephenage

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bugbag

[QUOTE="bugbag"] My grammar is exceptionally well, but it's understandable when people avoid using entirely proper grammar structure and usage to save time, while still getting a effective point across. Grammar and spelling is important to me because it's my life, so it's something I have to keep practicing on in many different languages in order to achieve maximum perfection. stephenage

Well my point is that grammar would not matter to me if I didn't do it for a living. We have a lot of members here who don't use basic grammar, and that's perfectly fine because grammar can get quite boring.

All I was saying is that Metalkitten's grammar was perfectly fine, since I could easily understand every thing she said.

ikhzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ikhzo
That was posted like...2 weeks ago. :|
stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 stephenage
[QUOTE="stephenage"]

[QUOTE="bugbag"] My grammar is exceptionally well, but it's understandable when people avoid using entirely proper grammar structure and usage to save time, while still getting a effective point across. Grammar and spelling is important to me because it's my life, so it's something I have to keep practicing on in many different languages in order to achieve maximum perfection. bugbag

Well my point is that grammar would not matter to me if I didn't do it for a living. We have a lot of members here who don't use basic grammar, and that's perfectly fine because grammar can get quite boring.

All I was saying is that Metalkitten's grammar was perfectly fine, since I could easily understand every thing she said.

And my point was, the grammar in your post was TERRIBLE Bugbag, had a lot of basic errors.

Avatar image for nintendo_warrio
nintendo_warrio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nintendo_warrio
Member since 2007 • 21608 Posts
[QUOTE="stephenage"]

[QUOTE="bugbag"] My grammar is exceptionally well, but it's understandable when people avoid using entirely proper grammar structure and usage to save time, while still getting a effective point across. Grammar and spelling is important to me because it's my life, so it's something I have to keep practicing on in many different languages in order to achieve maximum perfection. bugbag

Speaking correctly can get boring?...

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 stephenage
Saints Row the Third doesn't get boring.
altoids007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 altoids007
Member since 2009 • 15264 Posts
HK-47 is the best gaming villain.
stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 stephenage
He's no villain. He was my beloved companion.
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bugbag
[QUOTE="bugbag"][QUOTE="stephenage"]

And my point was, the grammar in your post was TERRIBLE Bugbag, had a lot of basic errors.

Because I can't see the difference from commas and periods since my monitor is zoomed to 75%. I'll start typing in 100% mode to avoid that. When I'm awake, my grammar is perfection. I can see my mistakes there, even without any sleep right now. One of the sentences expresses two complete thoughts too, and that's not proper grammar usage and structure.

This is my life's work, so improvement is critical. However, I do know basic grammar and have already proved it.

@Diego Technically speaking, your message is incorrect.

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 stephenage
Your problem isn't full stops and commas, it's your sentence structure and just the basic use of english in that post. The fact that you don't seem to realise that indicates, to me at least, that your grammar is no way near at the level where you claim it is.
ikhzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ikhzo
[QUOTE="stephenage"][QUOTE="bugbag"][QUOTE="stephenage"]

Because I can't see the difference from commas and periods since my monitor is zoomed to 75%. I'll start typing in 100% mode to avoid that. When I'm awake, my grammar is perfection. I can see my mistakes there, even without any sleep right now. One of the sentences expresses two complete thoughts too, and that's not proper grammar usage and structure.

This is my life's work, so improvement is critical. However, I do know basic grammar and have already proved it.

@Diego Technically speaking, your message is incorrect.

:lol:

So many mistakes. :lol::lol::lol::lol: 

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bugbag

Your problem isn't full stops and commas, it's your sentence structure and just the basic use of english in that post. The fact that you don't seem to realise that indicates, to me at least, that your grammar is no way near at the level where you claim it is.stephenage

English is not capitalize Stephen. Fix your own mistakes before criticizing others.

@Ikhzo My dream of writing comes from something I cannot share, but I have to request one thing: Please don't laugh at my mistakes. I'm showing improvement, and I think that's important.

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 stephenage

Not true Bugba, my claim was not that my grammar was good, it's not. My claim was that your grammar was bad, and that you profess it to be good. You claim yours to be good and this is not the case, therefore I am criticising a case of lying which I am more than justified in criticising.

My complaint isn't that you have bad grammar, it's that you claim it's good when it is not.

Also 'capitalize', so you just used poor grammar when complaining at me for correcting your grammar with an instance of poor grammar. So I guess I can only say, fix your own mistakes before criticising others. Also by your own logic you have no room to criticise me seeing as your grammar isn't good.

bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bugbag

Yes, capitalize doesn't have a 'd' at the end does it?:P

Fine, my grammar is not good. Please point out my mistakes from now on so I can increase my writing skills.

Writing skills increased by one.:lol:

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 stephenage
Admittance is the first step. Good job.
bugbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bugbag

The first step is taking action to learn grammar, not admitting you don't know enough of it.:P

altoids007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 altoids007
Member since 2009 • 15264 Posts

The first step is taking action to learn grammar, not admitting you don't know enough of it.:P

bugbag
You wouldn't take that step if you didn't admit it.
RoseFlambe169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RoseFlambe169
My grammar sucks. :cry: