Why is it that people in FF still use swords??

kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 kinetic-core
Member since 2006 • 9423 Posts

Well, in Final Fantasy games, with the exception of FFX, the reason for not using guns are kind of -unknown-. We see different characters wield different weapons, some guns, some swords, and some bow&arrows.

We all the know the benefits of long range "ballistics". Even in present day, we use guns as our primary weapons. So, why is it that characters in Final Fantasy actually wield a sword, instead of using "simple" [or technologically advanced] weapons like guns?

Avatar image for Sir-Dark-Raiden
Sir-Dark-Raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Sir-Dark-Raiden
Member since 2006 • 1040 Posts
Because the swords were always cooler then anything else. :D
CrabbyYuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 CrabbyYuna
Member since 2006 • 739 Posts
Because the swords were always cooler then anything else. :DSir-Dark-Raiden
ya!!!!erm,u mean guns?haha...at FFX-2 yuna also use guns!!
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kinetic-core
that's the problem.... yuna uses a gun, which can be so far more superior in technology and all.... :roll: why do the other characters still choose to use melee weapons? :|
Avatar image for DbleBassDrummer
DbleBassDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 DbleBassDrummer
Member since 2005 • 1375 Posts

In the hands of a skilled fighter, a sword is more powerful than a gun.

Think of a sword as an extension of the person who weilds it. Though each sword has it's own variables, it is ultimately as powerful as the sword fighter, him/herself. The advantage of range is nothing if the person you're fighting against can gut you when at point blank. The only time a swordsman is at a disadvantage is at long range. If you've played Metal Gear Solid 3, you'd know that Snake switches between gun and knife instantly with CQC, because, "Sometimes, at close range, a knife is more useful than a gun." Of course, if it was a sword, it would always be more useful than a gun. So using both would be a great idea.

So why do most real life military groups use guns? You can hand a monkey a gun, and he can shoot it. This is not to say that there are not skilled gunslingers, but even they would have trouble with a skilled swordsman.

Then again, if you're Vergil from Devil May Cry, you can just slice bullets apart in midair and fling them back with your sword. (Though you might have to be half-demon for that to work.)

Karinka19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 Karinka19
Member since 2005 • 349 Posts
(as far as games) guns are cool and flashy and (in my opinion) dont require much skill other than aiming and having good accuracy. im pretty much saying what the dude above me said. swords will never go out of style. besides a gun fight between two or more folks can get boring. they shoot then duck, shoot then duck, shoot...DODGE....DODGE....shoot then duck again.
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#7 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
Actually if you notice, lately there have been a variety of weapons in FF games. FFVIII had guns. FFX and FFX-2 had guns. But they aren't as fun. Take Final Fantasy XIII for example, she has a gun that turns into a sword and vice versa. Also it depends on the era that the game is set in. Swords fit every era. They are the perfect weapon. :)
Avatar image for DbleBassDrummer
DbleBassDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 DbleBassDrummer
Member since 2005 • 1375 Posts
I actually thought about this today. Another possibility could be that the super-natrual abilities of Final Fantasy characters make swords more ideal. Cloud can deflect bullets, tear apart skyscrapers, and carry two swords nearly his size at the same time while keeping his extreme agility, and he can even do it on a motorcycle. If you can rip like that, why would you even think about using a gun?
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kinetic-core

I actually thought about this today. Another possibility could be that the super-natrual abilities of Final Fantasy characters make swords more ideal. Cloud can deflect bullets, tear apart skyscrapers, and carry two swords nearly his size at the same time while keeping his extreme agility, and he can even do it on a motorcycle. If you can rip like that, why would you even think about using a gun?DbleBassDrummer

:| you set me thinking this very moment.

Perhaps you're right. In Final Fantasy, you don't NEED a gun. Or rather, in Final Fantasy, a sword is far more superior than a gun. I think i was too occupied with my real life, and forgot about the virtuality of FF in the first place.

In real life, there's no way a sword can beat a gun, that's why, i actually believed that guns SHOULD be superior in a FF. That is so not true. In FF, it's all about style, physical abilities, and magic. What was i thinking, to compare FF to the real world?