Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 angelbless
Member since 2003 • 8475 Posts

(Read THIS first)

Hey there friends,

Well, I think we all saw this coming. Some of us tried to avoid thinking on it, but in the end it all come to this. And it its that after more than 10 years (more or less) GS is closing the unions and moving to a new site. For most of us, specially me, unions have been the main reason for staying at GS, It was the reason I started being more active, it was the reason I kept coming and is the reason Im still around.

The Final Fantasy Fans union was established in March 2006, from the initiative taken by kinetic-core and a group of other members who decided to create a place that could bring together all those who enjoyed Final Fantasy. Some of the first members of the union, were Jordina, TheOdinson, ffxjunky06, Thorpe1988, Liquid_s, maa4208, Spurs_Fan, gman56, Final_Horror and a little later, AlbeadFFx and Darmi, all of who were part of the beginning of the activity and growth of the union.

Though the years, we remainded strong thanks to the efforts of people like maniamsmart, smootheyes, Balmane, DreadDLorD, lordmew, FS_metal, Irishdude, mztazmz, Raven, Kares, Falcon and many others who along with other great members, who remain our friends even today, helped create this amazing place. We created bonds, created friendship and through the years, learned to grow and to persist. We had great days and with them, we have some sad ones too, but in the end we remained strong and it was all because of the people who acompanied us along the way and the ideology for what it was built. To be a home for friends :).

We are facing some sort of weird extinction and I know that like KC said, we should be greatefull to GS too, for granting us this space for so many years. Its true they left the unions to their own luck, but now, whose fault it is might not matter at all. 

The only thing that matters now is what we are going to do from now on, from the point I see, there are only two options.

1) To remain as a forum thread at New GS (Im not sure how this will work yet, but we will not have the control anymore, yet still, our threads will be kept alive) IF we are selected.

2) Move to an external site like Falcon084 suggested.

I havent been very active this year, mostly because work and the CFA program, but I kept coming back because there was a place to call home. 

If we are going to dissapear, I just want to tell everybody how gratefull I am for all this years, specially to KC. We havent talked too much these last years but I never forget what the FFFU was nor how each of our friends used to work here. Im very gratefull for all your trust Beth, I enjoyed working here like I know you did and I hope I lived to your trust :). I was happy here and I will never forget what we all together built.

I will also want to thank all the officers and members who accompanied us trough all these 7 years, it is thanks to you that we become one of the most important Final Fantasy related union on GS and its because of you, that we remained alive. Thank you very much for all your trust, help, and for sharing with us all you Final Fantasy experiences.

We had a great time :) I enjoyed being a member, an officer and was more than glad to be the leader of such an important place.

I never though this day will actually come, I feel very weird writing this letter....I think its only logical for everything to change, people change, life changes... and so, we need to adapt to these changes.

What we have created will always be remembered, and so it will not dissapear, because what we have created will be kept inside of each one of us. :)

The last thing I will ask, is for everyone to share with us what you think/hope/suggest we should do about the union.

Thanks again.

It was an honor to be part of all of you :)

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
The situation with them sucks. I really hope more light is shed on whether there will be some kind of control for them. There is still time before the new site launches so things could change. I'm curious as to what everyone wants to do and or thinks about this.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 angelbless

The situation with them sucks. I really hope more light is shed on whether there will be some kind of control for them. There is still time before the new site launches so things could change. I'm curious as to what everyone wants to do and or thinks about this. 2ndWonder

Thxs for your comments 2ndWonder!.. yep Ihope more lights are shed about the new site and how unions will be taken... We need to make a decision and right now everything is so blurry from the GS side :?

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Xx_Kares_xX
Member since 2009 • 1479 Posts
You already know my opinion AngelBless, whatever happens, happens.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 angelbless

You already know my opinion AngelBless, whatever happens, happens.Xx_Kares_xX

You are rigth kares :) thxs for all your support. You kinda gave us a reason to come back and i will definetly love to see you continue your challenges :)

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xx_Kares_xX
Thanks for that ^^ wouldn't have been possible without the union.
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

[QUOTE="2ndWonder"]The situation with them sucks. I really hope more light is shed on whether there will be some kind of control for them. There is still time before the new site launches so things could change. I'm curious as to what everyone wants to do and or thinks about this. angelbless

Thxs for your comments 2ndWonder!.. yep Ihope more lights are shed about the new site and how unions will be taken... We need to make a decision and right now everything is so blurry from the GS side :?

I hope the decision made is the right one. Sometimes decisions can be tough. And yes everything is blurry from the gs side. With time I'm sure things will be more clear.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xx_Kares_xX
And I understand the pressure you are under Angelbless, but really there are only a handful of us less that really use the Union, and I feel like we will all respect your decision.
Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 Falcon084
Member since 2009 • 8778 Posts
Well you know what I think. Look in my sig for unions who are with shivtr and I can tell you there are a lot more.
mztazmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 mztazmz
Member since 2003 • 1405 Posts

Uh, I still don't quite understand what's going on??? GS is closing the unions? Making a new site and might transfer the unions there?

Well that would suck if we get shut down, BUT I would suggest you(Angelbless) create a Facebook Final Fantasy group and post the info here in a new thread. Facebook will probably be around forever and at least we can all stay in touch that way :)

And I will be sad if we do get shut down as this was my fav union by far!

Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Falcon084
No one is using the poll?
IceDefenseGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 IceDefenseGod
Member since 2005 • 3842 Posts
To be honest, I only really stop by the union during The Final Battle event, which has been steadily decreasing in popularity. Unions (and most of GS, in general) doesn't offer much aside from talking with like-minded people, release dates, and trailers, the latter of which I've already seen on YouTube or somewhere by the time it's up on here. While I'd be sad to see it go, it ultimately (and sadly) won't affect me all that much...
shewolf1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 shewolf1961
Member since 2003 • 3878 Posts
It's been a long time since I've visited GS....but when Vivi (angelbless) told me about what was happening, I had to show my support for FFFU.....Hope things work out and you get chosen!
LeighFF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LeighFF
Member since 2005 • 55 Posts
Why not just create a website, as an offshoot as this community? There are plenty of ways, even if you are not neccessarily webdesigners, and scripters. You could use something like Invisionboard, which has a fairly decent portal system for posting news clippings, and other assorted infos. If this is the route that Gamespot is going, then I would just make provisions to create another community. Even Facebook or Google+ would substitute, given that they allow the creation of themed groups. As much as I dispise social networking in general, it is another way to still be all collaborative or whatnot. We are no longer stuck in a 2004 world, as much as nostalgia keeps wanting me to go further back in time. =P
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 angelbless

Im so glad you could came, Dave, Nel, Evan!... It means a lot to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :). I hope KC, Andrew, Smarts and Darmi could come.

You are right Leigh, facebook doesnt seems such a bad option in the moment. You have many apps like the youtube app, twitter and others.. shivtr doesnt seem a bad option either. I just wish GS will be more clear about the future of unions. They said they were going to contact the union´s leaders. Do you guys think we should wait and see what they offer?.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#16 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

I urge patience, we don't know what is going to happen until the new Gamespot look is finalized.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xx_Kares_xX
Like all the warning they gave us before announcing the change in the first place? I don't have much faith in that honestly. They promised a long time ago to upgrade the Unions and never did... I don't hold much weight in anything they have to say at this point.
Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Falcon084
I don't really like facebook. What do you all think of Shivtr. A lot of unions (not just mine lol) are starting up over there.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xx_Kares_xX
I'm definitely using it for my new challenge hub <<...>> it's pretty awesome looking, too bad I'm pretty technologically stupid.
Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Falcon084

I'm definitely using it for my new challenge hub <<...>> it's pretty awesome looking, too bad I'm pretty technologically stupid.Xx_Kares_xX

If you need any help let me know and we can stuff it up together :P 

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xx_Kares_xX
Awesome, thanks! If you'd like you can check out my newest topic here <<...>> I'm thinking of trying to start up a review hub/gaming page of my own to expand into something more than what it is.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 angelbless

I don't really like facebook. What do you all think of Shivtr. A lot of unions (not just mine lol) are starting up over there.Falcon084

I like Shivtr so far adn though i don like facebook so much wither, Im realistic about its "virus" effect.. Perhaps an integration of both?.

You know somethin, I just remembered we used to talk about moving to an external web back in those years, but since GS pretty much offered what we needed, then it wasnt necessary.. until now.

Even so, I think we should wait a little so we are sure about what GS has to offer (iowaste is right). To be honest, Im not that optimistic either, but still.... well they said they were going to contact the leaders. Once I get more info, or get the PM, I will post it here to discuss... 

Anyway, in case we were to move to shivtr, will you help us move the content Falcon?

Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Falcon084

[QUOTE="Falcon084"]I don't really like facebook. What do you all think of Shivtr. A lot of unions (not just mine lol) are starting up over there.angelbless

I like Shivtr so far adn though i don like facebook so much wither, Im realistic about its "virus" effect.. Perhaps an integration of both?.

You know somethin, I just remembered we used to talk about moving to an external web back in those years, but since GS pretty much offered what we needed, then it wasnt necessary.. until now.

Even so, I think we should wait a little so we are sure about what GS has to offer (iowaste is right). To be honest, Im not that optimistic either, but still.... well they said they were going to contact the leaders. Once I get more info, or get the PM, I will post it here to discuss... 

Anyway, in case we were to move to shivtr, will you help us move the content Falcon?

Of-course! 

Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Falcon084

Just for fun I did THIS

You don't have to use it I was bored and this came to mind.

IceDefenseGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#25 IceDefenseGod
Member since 2005 • 3842 Posts

I never use the groups on FB, either, but at least if were to have The Final Battle there, it'd update in real-time, as opposed to having to refresh the board, like on here.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Xx_Kares_xX

Just for fun I did THIS

Falcon084

I like it

Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Falcon084
[QUOTE="Falcon084"]

Just for fun I did THIS

Xx_Kares_xX

I like it

angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 angelbless

I never use the groups on FB, either, but at least if were to have The Final Battle there, it'd update in real-time, as opposed to having to refresh the board, like on here.

IceDefenseGod

Wow that would be great! :P

[QUOTE="Falcon084"]

Just for fun I did THIS

Xx_Kares_xX

I like it

looks good! :D

Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Falcon084
So are we going to do this? the votes seem to be going one way :)
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Xx_Kares_xX
It seems like it <<...>> I still need to make my page as well.. CURSE YOU FFTACTICS FOR BEING SO DAMN ADDICTING!
zillaman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#31 zillaman101
Member since 2010 • 122 Posts
Well I just think that we shouldn't give up. That's the main thing, and it doesn't look like anyone on here wants to give up, so I think the FFFU will live.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 angelbless

Well I just think that we shouldn't give up. That's the main thing, and it doesn't look like anyone on here wants to give up, so I think the FFFU will live. zillaman101

Thxs!! as long as we have people who support us, we will never give up :)

johngrose77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 johngrose77
Member since 2008 • 2978 Posts

Facebook is a good alternative. In fact, I migrated to Facebook already. Though I wish you guys well. I have been busy with college. It is good to see you guys still kicking. Sorry for not being around.  

The facebook page I admin is called Final Fantasy Fan Page. If you wanted to check it out. 

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 Balmane
Member since 2008 • 13255 Posts

I am shocked.....

Although I haven't been here for a good while which saddens me I am surprised GS is getting rid of the unions.... Or most of them i guess. 

I see the point in clearing unions but they might aswell keep the ones that are still alive, like this one.... 

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Xx_Kares_xX
It is rather depressing x.x It's good to see you back Balmane
Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Balmane
Depressing... That does explain this union situation. It's good to be back :)
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 angelbless

Depressing... That does explain this union situation. It's good to be back :)Balmane

Yeah!! Great to see you Balmane! :D

Avatar image for irishdude199210
irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 irishdude199210
Member since 2010 • 2517 Posts
Hey guys. I'm back, a little late it would seem. Well I didn't expect this to happen so soon. This sucks. I'm using my phone to post at the moment but I'll post a longer response later, maybe tomorrow. I was looking forward to being active again because I'm about to go back to college (I made it into 4th year! Honours degree here I come! :) ). I'll miss this union...
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Xx_Kares_xX
Hiya Irishdude... we've been working on just moving the union so it may still stick around as long as people have the desire to stay active. In fact if we play our cards right this could make our union GROW.
Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Falcon084

Hiya Irishdude... we've been working on just moving the union so it may still stick around as long as people have the desire to stay active. In fact if we play our cards right this could make our union GROW.Xx_Kares_xX

Yup I unexpectadly got some new non GS members the other day :) and it felt pretty cool! 

Falcon084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Falcon084

Ok I just got the dirt. Old GS is going to be deleted in just under one month!

So if we are going to do this and transfer as mutch as humanly possible over, then that is our time frame. After that GS will claim OUR union for their own work, spit in our faces, take away our controlers, and steal our tins of coke!

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Xx_Kares_xX

So if we are going to do this and transfer as mutch as humanly possible over, then that is our time frame. After that GS will claim OUR union for their own work, spit in our faces, take away our controlers, and steal our tins of coke!

Falcon084

Crap that soon huh? I better get to work on shivtr. Did they give an actual date? or did they just say, "in just under one month' because the lack of specificis is frightening, annoying, and very unornganized.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Xx_Kares_xX
[QUOTE="Falcon084"]

Xx_Kares_xX

Crap that soon huh? I better get to work on shivtr. Did they give an actual date? or did they just say, "in just under one month' because the lack of specificis is frightening, annoying, and very unornganized.

I actually worked on the site a bit and have things set up enough to be functional... I haven't really made any threads yet though. Here's a link for those interested. 

http://theotakusden.shivtr.com/

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Balmane
Wait, so is everything going to that website?
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Xx_Kares_xX

I don't think so? this is my personal one... I never got real permission from Angelbless.. so I don't know what's happening with his.. if it WERE for everyone I wouldn't have been so conceded about it ^^' lol

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Balmane
Oh. It's just that I have no idea what we are gonna do....
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Xx_Kares_xX
Me neither since Angelbless has disappeared again
SQUALL20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SQUALL20XX
Member since 2005 • 6063 Posts

This isn't my case, though here's something.

FF is a universe that I can't resist, I can't see FF unions die and do nothing, good luck all.

Let's collaporate, let's defend our unions, #Save Our Union #Spreading optimism :idea::)