Final Fantasy X: A Laughter Free Review (But NOT Spoiler Free)

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Xx_Kares_xX
Member since 2009 • 1479 Posts

Final Fantasy X: A Laughter Free Review (But NOT Spoiler Free)

For the love of god before I go ANYWHERE with this review I have to say that the first person who makes fun of the 'laughing scene' in this game is going to have a firecracker shoved down their throat. The scene is SUPPOSED to be awkward and bad... and though the voice acting in this game is far from perfect, I am so sick of people pointing to this scene and saying 'FFX has bad voice acting! Trolololololol...

Well then, now that I've gotten that little bit off my chest I will say that I plan on moving through the rest of this review with my usual professional and unbiased opinions, (I hope you guys can sense the sarcasm dripping through the text right now). Before anyone gets too upset at me (I was reamed enough for giving FFVIII the bad review it truly deserved, I'd probably be put to death if I gave FFX similar treatment) ...overall, I actually did find FFX to be a good game. Now that I've said that I want to emphasize the word GOOD, it is not great, it is not phenomenal, it is good, as in slightly above average... as in, without nostalgia goggles, it really isn't a game even worth being listed in the top 5 Final Fantasy games of all time. That being said, in my eyes it is better than FFVIII by a long shot, and .arguably better than FFVII... but really they are about tied in my eyes...

Anyway, now that I've made a short point VERY long, I will move onto the least important but most obvious aspect of Final Fantasy X; The Presentation.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Xx_Kares_xX

Graphics:

Though I doubt this will surprise anyone, I find the graphics in Final Fantasy X quite good, they are colorful, expressive, well proportioned and really help bring life to the world of Spira. The graphics held up so well in fact that upon replaying the game, I realized how pointless an 'HD Re-release' really is. To be fair I was playing on a Progressive scan TV, but even so I think the graphics hold up really well, even compared to a lot of other PS2 games and when I look at how almost every single other HD Remaster compilation has been botched (the only exception I've seen personally being the Ico and Shadow of Colossus collection which actually really BENEFITTED from the upgrade since the games were too powerful for the original system they were released on) I really don't think FFX needs any upgrades at all, especially since I HIGHLY doubt they will be doing anything to fix the flaws in the presentation that I will point out soon enough. All of the movements in the game are pretty well animated with just a few hiccups here and there, but considering the time of the games release it holds up well, except for a few nit-picky things that, of course, I have to point out.

I hate to start with this because it's a given issue, and something that even a lot of current gen games still do, but the lip synching in FFX is pretty terrible. In the games defense, no games at that time were reworked to make the lips match the words, but it did get bothersome at times, especially when mixed with the awkward, overly dramatic gestures that the characters seem to make. I don't know if it was an issue of bad actors in the motion capture department or if it's a culture issue, but a lot of the movements the characters make just.. don't look life like. And of course I'm not talking about the movements that are SUPPOSED to be over the top, I'm talking about the simple things like Wakka pointing out directions or Tidus... looking confused... This may seem to conflict with the point I made above, so let me summarize more clearly. The animations are fluid (especially in combat) but some of the out of combat gestures don't always look natural. I would like to note this is a very minor issue, but it's something that I've never seen someone else touch on, so I felt like I needed too.

Other small graphical issues that I feel are worth mentioning; there are moments where characters end up holding 'invisible' weapons because.. the game just didn't feel like loading them in that particular story scene? There are multiple times where the walk paths were lazily worked out, generally making Tidus run right into someone before very unnaturally pushing them to the side so he can get by. The Cut scenes in the game, though beautiful also have a major clashing design with the rest of the game. This can most easily be seen when looking at Tidus' face, at points his facial structure is completely reworked.. and that's not just a difference between game play and cut scenes, it's actually an inconsistency between cut scenes as well. Those are the main things I remember bothering me with the games graphics, and the only reason I went this thoroughly into them was so we all had a list to look at to see how little work they actually do with the remaster. Now for the other part of the presentation: The Sound Design.

Sound Design:

Let me just... prepare for this for a moment. Ahem... Blah Blah, Uematsu blah, amazing soundtrack. If that little one line of unintelligible summary wasn't enough for you than either you aren't a long time fan of the Final Fantasy series or you haven't been reading my reviews.. in either case shame on you. It's a main series Final Fantasy game primarily composed by Nobuo Uematsu, of COURSE the soundtrack is gorgeous. The far more questionable aspect of the sound design however, is the voice acting.

Now that I've made you hold your breath in anticipation for a whole... half a second maybe? My final verdict on the voice acting is.... it's pretty good for the most part. There are moments where the voice acting falls flat, mostly like the voice actors weren't sure in what context the line was supposed to be spoken, but this is a rare occurrence. Less rare however is the repeated use of one recording of a word or phrase that is used whenever a line is repeated in game despite the circumstances. A perfect example is Yuna's recording of the words 'yes, yeah, and okay' almost all three of these are said in an optimistic fashion, yet that same optimistic 'okay' comes out when she is talking about rather depressing topics, such as the potential for her own death. That's almost the same as if someone came up to me and said, I'm going to throw you a surprise birthday party!' to which I reply 'YAY! then later someone says someone just threw up in your bathroom and you have to go clean it! and instead of my words coming out in a sarcastic fashion (as they should) the word 'YAY!' escapes my lips with the same enthusiasm as before. It seems like a minor issue but it can be rather grating when it occurs, especially for people who are rather audio inclined. It is also rather common for lines of dialogue to be unnaturally rushed, whether the line translated was too long to match the scene in English as opposed to Japanese, or if there was just a problem with the audio's compression in those moments I don't really know. Despite all of this, I think the voice acting is really good and holds up today, especially considering it was the first effort for the Final Fantasy series. All of the voices suit their characters and about 90% of the time the lines are well delivered. Now that the overblown Presentation section of the review is out of the way it's time to get into what's really important: The game play.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xx_Kares_xX

Game play:

Most rpgs are broken up into three real forms of game play, the exploration, the combat and the mini games, so it's only natural that those are the topics that I focus on most in this review in the order I just listed.

Exploration:

Oh Final Fantasy X... the precursor to the hallway... a.k.a. The precursor to FFXIII when it comes to map styles. Funnily enough Final Fantasy X is a very linear game, almost every map is literally a hallway, there are only about 4 actual towns, (seemingly only put into place so that they could be destroyed in a cut scene) while every other location in the game is a free hotel to stop at and perhaps a religious temple next too it. Actually, this is a realization I am just now making while writing this article out, but a lot of the complaints given to FFXIII fit very well here (okay that's a lie, I did notice connections before, but I'm realizing MORE as I write this.) There is a lack of towns in both games. Yes FFX has towns, but none of them are really capable of being explored, and every single one of them gets destroyed with the exception of Luca, and even that location was attacked by sin. There is close to no exploration in this game, you just follow one path from beginning to end. Now to be fair, I want to point out that despite the fact that the lack of exploration hurts the game, there IS a justifiable reason for this in terms of the story. The characters in this game are on a pilgrimage to defeat sin, so it only makes sense that they'd be traveling on a set path, making sure to hit every temple on the way without taking any side trips, so in this case, I truly do feel the linearity is justified (which can not be said for FFXIII). Despite FFX's lack of towns in the second half of the game, the world still manages to feel alive and somewhat interesting, which is also a point in it's favor, and unlike FFXIII, though FFX is a very linear affair there are quite a lot of secrets to discover in this world in the few areas where you can tread off the beaten path. Unlike the previous games in the series, FFX is the first entry to not have a world map, which would seem like a merciful exchange so as not to run into as many random battles, but it has quite the opposite effect. Since the game is essentially one long path from beginning to end, the encounter rate is really high, and it gets rather tiresome as the game drags on because you are continually just running straight forward, trying to get from plot point to plot point, making it so really you are only continuing to hear more of the story as opposed to enjoying the world travel as well.

Another strange thing about this game is that the NPC's almost never have anything of interest to say, but they are more than willing to just hand over whatever items they have. I'd say about half of the NPC's in the game just hand you items when you talk to them for the first time, so that's something to keep in mind while you play.The exploration and total map design of this game pales in comparison to every main Final Fantasy game that came before it, but it is still competently made and enjoyable in it's own right. Well enough of this, let's move onto the Combat.

Combat:

When I think about Final Fantasy X and what I like about the game, my mind immediately goes to the boss battles. Final Fantasy X has some of the most interesting, challenging, and just plain fun boss battles in the entire series... that is.. until you learn how to break the game. Once again Square screwed up, making a very easily exploitable battle strategy that will destroy every single boss you fight from the time you get your fourth aeon (summon) to the time you reach the final dungeon. Your aeons overdrives are completely and utterly broken in this game...which is really disappointing. The game designers did a really good job keeping the overdrives of the actual party members rather nerfed. Yes you can save them for as long as you want, but unless your characters are overpowered already there is no chance that they will annihilate the bosses like you could in Final Fantasy VII or VIII. Yet somehow they dropped the ball on the aeons. All you need to do to defeat almost ANY boss in the game (with the exception of the gauntlet of Final Bosses) is use each aeons overdrive, one after another. Chances are every single one will do max damage, and some will do even more than that. Meaning that even if you don't get any of the secret aeons, you pretty much have a guaranteed 65,000 or so damage to any boss you have to fight (to put this in perspective, the enemy with the most health in the main game (the final boss) Has 120,000 in it's second form.. and that really is the hardest fight in the game unless you do the calm lands arena or have the international version of the game). And if you DO complete a lot of the side quests, one aeon alone can do 99,999 damage (no that's not a typo) and you still have another 7 or so aeons overdrives left to go. Because of this little easily discovered trick you will pretty much never get stuck (except of course at the end of the game where the difficulty ramps up really quickly, practically forcing you to do side quests if you want to beat the game).

Well, that long rant about battle exploits aside, if you DON'T break the game by using the designers own work against them, the combat is arguably the best and most strategic in the entire series. Each of the characters in your main party is effective against fighting a certain type of monster. For Example, Wakka is good at killing small flying creatures, While Tidus is good at killing small and fast ground creatures and Auron specializes in Heavily armored creatures that the others can't do much damage too. On top of that the game gives you the ability of switching out your main three fighters with anyone else in your party mid-battle, allowing you to strategize on a turn by turn basis and use everyone in your party to your liking. It's really brilliantly put together, giving you spells and abilities that are all useful for one situation or another, and the intelligent design shows through, especially during the climactic boss battles.

Unfortunately... the brilliant ideas put into this combat system lead to a LOT of repetition. You will go through every battle thinking 'Okay.. bring in this character for this enemy... and now this one for this one... and it reaches a level of monotony that can be problematic. Especially once you get far enough in the game to realize that almost every enemy in the game you are going to fight (excluding bosses of course) are just pallet swaps of the same 8 or so enemies. It is common in Final Fantasy games for enemies to be pallet swaps, but it becomes really obvious and decidedly lazy here. On top of that the new party structure of having three active members but all available for battle means that the most efficient way of keeping everyone leveled is making sure every characters takes an action every battle, making it so you will have to make 4 or so members of your party perform a pointless action each time you get into an encounter, and in this game the encounter rate is fairly high.

The combat obviously has it's pros and cons, but the good definitely outweighs the bad, if the thing you like most about this game isn't the story, it will be the combat.

Sphere Grid & Weapon Development:

I know I forgot to mention this above as part of the 'topics I would discuss' but it's a huge issue that people like to whine constantly about, and it's once again, something that was taken to a ridiculously awful extreme in Final Fantasy XIII in the form of the crystarium. I'm going to blow all your minds now and say.. I actually like the Sphere Grid. Instead of gaining normal experience and growing levels, you get points which add up to allow you to move spaces on a giant maze of orbs which give you stat bonuses and new abilities. At first each character is blocked off in their own little section of the grid, putting each character into archetypes such as White Mage, Thief, warrior, etc (which is great! I love it when games give set classes instead of setting you up with a bunch of people who are all blank slates), But once you get far enough into the game, you are given the opportunity to move a character onto another part of the grid, allowing you to create combinations such as teaching your white mage black magic. Aside from that I think it is a creative and interesting way to view your progress throughout the game.

Another interesting aspect of the game is the way that the weapon and armor system is managed in this game. The game only allows you to equip 2 items to each character at a time, a weapon and an arm guard. The strange thing about this however is that the equipment itself doesn't have base attributes like attack or accuracy. Instead each weapon and piece of armor has up too 4 slots in which abilities can be added (or are already added) to the equipment. I thought this was really interesting because you can essentially make your own very powerful equipment. For example, you could give a sword the ability to turn enemies to stone, or just give it a Strength + 10% modifier, while on your armor you can make yourself resistant or even immune to status ailments or elements. It makes for a lot of interesting strategy but of course does have some flaws. For example, the very first sword you get in the game is literally the exact same strength as the legendary weapons, the only difference is the abilities equipped on the items. In my last play through, Yuna used the same staff from the very first temple all the way until I unlocked her ultimate weapon because it was truly the best option, and I didn't rig anything to my benefit, the weapon from the starting temple is basically handed to you on a silver platter. Anyway, enough on that, onto the final part of the game play, the mini games.

Mini-Games:

Oh boy... here we go. Despite FFX's lack of exploration, it has a LOT of mini-Games and side quests. The game has you doing countless meaningless tasks throughout it as a means to unlocking secret weapons and aeons. The game will have you doing things from dodging 200 consecutive bolts of lightning to capturing 10 of every single monster in the game. All of these side quests are optional but they are very tedious, and the rewards are great. Only completionists need apply, but this is Final Fantasy X we're talking about, and there is one huge mini-game that I seem to be missing... what was it again? Oh yes... the physics defying blitzball.

Once again we are left with something that has fans of the game torn. Blitzball is seemingly the one and only sport in Spira, and it's essentially the brutality of football mixed with the rules of soccer.. oh.. and games are played in a giant sphere of water. I'm not going to go into how it couldn't happen in real life or how unrealistic it is because frankly I don't care and it doesn't service the review any. As well as being a big part of the story, it is actually an ongoing playable mini-game that allows you to recruit players throughout the world and win many rewards (the most notable being Wakka's ultimate weapon and limit break). You are forced to play it only once as part of the story in a nearly unwinnable game, and after that it becomes available at almost every save point, so if you're not a fan, you never have to play it again. That's really all I have to say about that. I found myself playing the game for hours at a time for the shear fun of it... but It seems I may be in the minority, Maybe it's just that a stat based, slow moving sport is the only sport I will ever really be good at. All that's left now is to talk about the characters and the story.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Xx_Kares_xX

Characters:

I don't really have much of an introduction for this. Final Fantasy X is a very character driven story, and I liked every character in the main cast. There are a lot of people who disagree with me (especially when it comes to Tidus) but over all I think it's a solid cast of characters.

Tidus: First and foremost, I want to point out a very important point that people seem to miss about Tidus (especially people who find Tidus to whiny) Tidus.. is only 17 years old! I can't think of a single teenager I've EVER met who would be able to handle being thrown 1000 years into the future even remotely close to as well as Tidus handled it. Anyway, Tidus is an optimistic but naïve youth, and the main hero in the game. His main motivation throughout the story is defeating his father, Jecht, who became sin while helping Yuna's father and Auron defeat sin previously. He has great character development, and you can really track his changing personality throughout the game. Admittedly, Tidus IS a bit whiny, but as a character he's playing his age extremely well. In combat, Tidus takes a strange role... he has very high agility, making him the key to taking out fast ground enemies, and he also has the unique abilities to change the flow of battle. All of his spells effect turn orders, things such as Haste which increases a party members speed and delay attack which stalls the enemies turn. He is very useful for the games particular battle system.

Yuna: Now we move onto Yuna, arguably the main character in the story since she is the summoner on the pilgrimage to defeat sin. Her father was the last summoner to defeat sin, putting a lot of pressure on her to walk in her father's footsteps (a pressure that the and Tidus share, creating a sort of connection). She is calm and collected, along with being a quiet and kind girl. In battle she takes the role of White Mage/Summoner, there's nothing really that interesting about her in combat that we haven't seen before except for the fact that for the first time in the series, summoned creatures can be controlled directly.

Wakka: Next we have Wakka, a native to besaid that quit being a guardian to play more blitzball... before becoming a guardian again. He is a caring man who essentially plays the role of Yuna's older brother. The problem for me is I have trouble taking Wakka seriously at times because whenever he talks all I can think about is the fact that Wakka is voiced by the man who voiced Bender in Futurama, and the only ting that comes to mind is Wakka turning to the group and suddenly saying 'Bite my shiny metal blitzball'. He is the first person to really take Tidus in once he comes to Spira. Wakka may be a bit too obsessed with his sport of choice, as he actually chooses to use a blitzball as a weapon in combat, making him your only ranged, melee attacker. He also has a few status effects to put on enemies such as blind, silence and sleep.

Lulu: Lulu is your standard black mage character only this time with a gothic look. She harbors guilt over the loss of both her ex-fiance (Wakka's Brother) and a summoner she was guarding on a previous pilgrimage, both who died because of an attack by Sin. She takes the role of the rather cold-hearted/brutally honest but somehow still likable character, always serious but never ill meaning. Her choice of weapon is using dolls shaped like creatures from the series, including Cactuars, Moombas, Moogles, and even an Onion Knight.

Kihmari: Khimari is a beast like creature from a tribe called the Ronso tribe. You don't learn much about him as he's nearly a silent character. All you really learn is that he is a runt from his village and that a couple of bigger Ronso's broke his horn when he was young. His main role in the game was taking care of Yuna as a child, but he remained with her as she grew up. Kihmari is an interesting case when it comes to combat, and he is generally labeled as a useless character in game, which on the surface is kind of true. He is this games blue mage, but the problem is, in this game blue magic can only be cast as his overdrive, meaning it is rare that you can use his spells, and only a couple of the abilities that he learns are actually useful, while the rest really aren't. This is doubly irritating because Kihmari has the best way of learning blue mage spells in the entires series. He has an ability called lancet, and when used on any enemy that has a blue magic spell you instantly learn it, nice and simple like. Anyway, his basic skills aren't very useful, but his section of the sphere grid is rather small and RIGHT in the middle of the grid, making it so that you can make khimari into whatever kind of fighter you want, so if you put the time in, he can be your most interesting character to play.

Auron: Universally accepted at not only the coolest character in Final Fantasy X, but one of the coolest in the entire series, Auron is the one thing about this game that there never seems to be a debate about. Auron has the most interesting back story in the entire game, having fought sin with Jecht and Braska (Yuna's Father) and dying in the process, only to continue walking the planet as a ghost. He spends about 10 years watching over Tidus before finally forcing him to take his first steps on the long journey. Throughout the entire game it is clear that Auron knows more than the rest of the party, but even with this knowledge he lets the younger party members act, learning from their own mistakes and making their own decisions. In battle he is the strongest physically of the group, but also the slowest. Any armored enemies will fall easily to his blade, and his special abilities that destroy the damage output and defenses of the enemy makes him integral to your party.

Rikku: Rikku is this games usual jailbait character who doubles as a thief and a chemist in battle. Really she's useless as a fighter, but her ability to mix items is down right abusive at times. Out of combat, you learn that she is an Al Bhed, a group of machine loving people who are looked down upon because the use of machinery is prohibited by the world religion of Yevon. It turns out later that she is Yuna's cousin, though that connection doesn't really effect the story In any meaningful way.

Seymour: Seymour is the not at all subtle repeat villian in the game. You fight him 4 times in the game and each battle is more interesting than the last. This man is the Maester of the main religion of the world, and a summoner like Yuna, wanting to destroy sin. You find out later that he is rather curropt and is an 'unsent' or, in other words, a soul of someone who has been killed but has not turned into a fiend or been sent to the farplane (essentially the after life). Though his character design is ridiculous he actually makes for a decent villian both in and out of combat. His motivations are solid and his methods effective, making him a far better villian than any of those in the PSX trilogy of games.

Jecht/Sin: Ah, now we finally reach the big baddie. Jecht Is Tidus' father, a famous blitzball player who was warped into the future spira ten years before Tidus was himself. Jecht is the stern type who isn't very good at expressing his feelings, causing him to treat his son poorly despite secretly being proud of him. He becomes sin after sacrificing himself to defeat the previous sin, in a process I don't feel like explaining here. Though Jecht doesn't appear often with the game, his inclusion still makes for a rather moving resolution to the story, as well as solidifying Tidus' place as the hero of the game.

Story:

I have to admit, my main problems with this games story doesn't come from plot holes or bad writing, they come from the serious amount of missed potential within the story. I have looked at many of the common 'plot holes' brought up with this game, and for almost every single one I have a simple answer: Pay more attention to the game and you will get your answer. On the other hand, there were many things that were not explained well, and not only could they have been explained better, but they could have used those explanations to make the world more full, the back stories of the characters' more interesting, and the game as a whole just a far better experience.

Final Fantasy X has a story that is focused almost solely on the main characters, which isn't a bad thing on the surface, in fact, Character stories are my preferred choice when it comes to this sort of thing. The problem is that the story set up for us in the opening scenes is also a world story, which the game doesn't quite do as good of a job with. Let me explain this more clearly. In the very beginning of the game Tidus is taken from his futuristic city of Zanarkand and transferred 1000 years into the future, where everything around him is completely unrecognizable. Normally when working off a script of this type, the point of having a character who is a 'fish out of water' is so that he can be informed on how things in the strange new world work, thus informing the player as well without resorting to poorly written exposition. It's kind of a cheap and lazy way of making the exposition come across, but it works well within the context of this story. Tidus is clueless (and perhaps dumb enough depending on your viewpoint) to make for a convincing and useful way of explaining things to the player. The problem with this however is that we never really learn about how this way of life is different from the one Tidus had before, thus making it so the impact of the change is not only weakened, but it is almost non-existent. We spend ten whole minutes of the game in the opening city of zanarkand where we find out that Tidus is is a famous athlete, and that Zanarkand is indeed futuristic, complete with long highways that people only walk on... (the design of zanarkand is rather poor when it comes to practicality or common sense... looks pretty though). We never get to see Tidus' connections to the world or to the people around him. Sure we know he's a celebrity but what about his friends? What about his extended family? We get a couple lines of information about Jecht from a sports caster but that's about it. From what little we see, he loses absolutely nothing in his transition to Spira, thus making it impossible to sympathize with him in that respect because he is making no sacrifices. The only thing he has to worry about is his blitz ball playing, and because it's even more popular in the future he could easily become just as famous in this new world as he's still one of (if not the) best player around. To be fair, they did a great job making you sympathize with Tidus when it comes to his daddy issues, but everytime Tidus whines about 'not being able to go home' I can't help but... not feel sorry for him in the slightest.

On a very similar note, what about Yuna? You never really get to learn about things such as her relationship with her father, or what her upbringing was like. You learn a couple small details and she is more fleshed out than Tidus, but there was a lot of missed potentional. Considering the fact that the story is just as much about Yuna as it is Tidus (perhaps even more so) they could have really dived into her past to make her more interesting.

The game also neglects to explain some of the most interesting lore of the world. For example, Yu Yevon and the church are just barely touched upon and they are very important points in the plot (or at least they should have been). The story on how the church came to be as curropt as it is could have been just as interesting as the story the main character's present to you, and Yu Yevon could have been made an actual foreboding presence and stayed god like but still have actually had motivation? Or at the very least what little was told in absently thrown out dialogues could have been presented better.

This game also suffers from multiple plot conveniences, in the same way that FFVIII did only not NEARLY as drastic or common. The biggest one I can think of is that any point where the game needs you to travel a long distance will automatically just.. sort of happen. Whether it be from Sin magically appearing and sending you somewhere else or an airship just happening to stop by to pick you up. It's easy to look past but it is rather funny and lazy in a way. Then of course there is the other sort of strange plot convenience where the characters are fighting sin, a giant beast that is capable of wiping out entire armies with a single attack, yet a group of 7 is able to somehow fight it and win at the end of the game? I know it's a common thing in video games and it's not something you aren't supposed to question... but it is an interesting thing to take note of.

All those complaints aside, the over all story is actually pretty solid, with a few plot twists here and there (most of which I've probably spoiled in this review... so... if you haven't played the game yet... oops). I feel as though most people will become involved in the characters and their journey, and if some of the plot twists haven't been spoiled for you already, they may actually take you by surprise. The plot is surprisingly emotional at times, and I don't remember ever really feeling bored while watching cutscenes (except of course in Guadosalam... what was with all the waiting in the dining room?). Once you reach a certain part of the game (after the blitzball tournament in Luca) the story finally gets rolling and you will likely be entertained for the duration of the journey.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xx_Kares_xX
 Final Verdict:

Well then, now that I've dissected all the parts of the game that my now fried brain will allow, I'd like to give the final verdict. Over all I found FFX to be a rather solid game in the series. The combat (if not exploited) is actually rather strategic, and though I criticized it for being rather repetitive, I can't say that I'd be able to argue it being any worse than some of the other games in the series. The presentation is mostly strong and the characters and story are rather entertaining if you allow yourself to be taken in by them and you are willing to look past the strange quirks the game throws at you. If you are a fan of RPGs, I'd recommend you pick this one up, that is, as long as the linearity won't bother you too much.

Edit: After re-reading this review (to get ideas for my FFXII review) I was rather sad to see that I forgot to mention my feelings on the romance between Tidus and Yuna. This was a huge failing on my part as it's one of the key aspects that fans seem to like about this game. I guess I will give a quick summary of my feelings on it. I feel that the voice actors do a good job conveying the chemistry of the characters, and the emotions felt very real to me between them. I guess I'd put the romance between Final Fantasy VIII and IX in my eyes... it was established far better in Final Fantasy X then it was in VIII, especially with it's buildup and pay off, but I feel that Final Fantasy IX still had a stronger romance, which really comes from the fact that Garnet and Zidane were just better developed characters in general than Tidus or Yuna. Anyway, there's my little added note to this, sorry it took so long for me to post it @.@  

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#6 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
Must say I did enjoy this read. FFX wasn't my favorite, but I thoroughly enjoyed it for the most part. It was the first FF to go to the whole "map is a straight line", but it allowed you to backtrack through most of the game later on. The Aeons were broken since you could just store their overdrive and takedown most bosses. Wonder what your opinion is on XII.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xx_Kares_xX

Must say I did enjoy this read. FFX wasn't my favorite, but I thoroughly enjoyed it for the most part. It was the first FF to go to the whole "map is a straight line", but it allowed you to backtrack through most of the game later on. The Aeons were broken since you could just store their overdrive and takedown most bosses. Wonder what your opinion is on XII.D3dr0_0

Thank you very much for the comment. I'm trying really hard to be someone who points out all the good and bad things about something, so that even though I am bias (as every person is) other people can still determine if they'd like something or not by reading it. As for FFXII, I remember really liking it, and if everything I remember is correct I think it is TECHNICALLY one of the best games in the entire series, but I've only completed it once. I still have a couple games to get through before I get to FFXII.. and FFXII is a VERY long game, but once I do finally complete it, I will make a write up for it. On the other hand I don't think I'm going to make one for FFX-2... we will just have to see how I feel once I beat it.

JukedSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 JukedSolid
Member since 2006 • 991 Posts
This was a great review.  There were very few things that I disagree about it even though I'm incredibly biased about how much I enjoyed this game.  It was my first Final Fantasy after all (I got a late start. Sue me)  I noticed one of your complaints was that there were way too many random battles and the encounter rate is high.  I never really had this issue in my first playthrough.  Fairly early on, I had already acquired a "no encounters" skill on one of my weapons. I might have purchased it or just synthesized it I can't remember.  Needless to say, I made full use of it whenever I was getting bored of the effin' random battles.  The other thing is I wanted to sympathize about the sphere grid!  I DESPISE when people say it's the same as the crystarium!  It's similar in looks ONLY!  The thing is massive and easily makes for one of the most customizable leveling systems in any of the FF games I've ever played.  FFXIII's crystarium is just like the rest of the game.  Linear.  Umm...last thing I wanted to talk about probably isn't necessary since you've probably already heard all my rants on voice acting in this game and how I wished there was an option to select Japanese with english subs.  That accounts for any weird idiosyncrasies in the lip movements since taking the time to make it compatible with english would have taken a loooong time.  The difference in Tidus' facial appearance between cutscenes and normal gameplay always left me feeling a little jarred as well.  That's all!  Once again, great review and thanks for taking the time to do this.  It's lots of fun to piece through the games like this. 
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xx_Kares_xX
Thank you very much for the comment ^^. Personally the random battles didn't really bother me much either, but it's still something i had to make note of. I refused to use encounter none becuase I needed to level up, and in my entire playthrough I only ran from two battles because I just wanted to get to a save point.  I have never actually heard the japanese voice acting in this game, but I think it's a cool feature when ANY game has language options, thankfully that has been something that has become more prevelant in this generation of gaming (in fact when it comes to RPGs it's one of the only improvements we've gotten this generation... but I won't start up that debate here). Thanks again for commenting, it takes me a good 4 to 8 hours to write each of these, but getting comments and discussion from you guys makes it all worth while.
JukedSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JukedSolid

Ah but if you do use encounter none, then you can grind on your own terms when you come across locations with experience heavy enemies.  Especially later in the game.  I do have a friend that managed to trap himself by not grinding enough and got trapped in a boss battle he could never win so I understand the wariness.  

I've listened to some of it in Japanese.  The guy who does Tidus' voice won an award for it.   

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xx_Kares_xX

Yeah, I know multiple people who have gotten stuck on the airship right before the Evrae boss fight... I wish they'd given a warning there or something like they have in other Final Fantasy Games, something like 'You could easily get stuck here if it's your only save file'

angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 angelbless
Member since 2003 • 8475 Posts
VERY GOOD review... you make me feel like if I didnt play the game very well :P
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xx_Kares_xX
Thank you very much, I feel like the reviews are getting better as I go. How did I make you feel like you didn't play the game well ^^' lol.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 angelbless

Thank you very much, I feel like the reviews are getting better as I go. How did I make you feel like you didn't play the game well ^^' lol.Xx_Kares_xX

Well.. I was still a kid.. kinda ... and I dont remember many of the facts you described :P

JukedSolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JukedSolid

[QUOTE="Xx_Kares_xX"]Thank you very much, I feel like the reviews are getting better as I go. How did I make you feel like you didn't play the game well ^^' lol.angelbless

Well.. I was still a kid.. kinda ... and I dont remember many of the facts you described :P

That's a good point you may or may not have inadvertantly made there.  We probably never were looking for plot conveniences or things like that when we first played the game.  That's part of what's so much fun about these reviews.  It's like looking back at the old cartoons you watched and realizing "Man, Power Rangers is a piece of crap!"  or occasionally being pleasantly surprised when something is still pretty good even after having aged awhile.    

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xx_Kares_xX
I'm very glad you enjoy them ^^. It is a very interesting thing, as I've played the games I've realized how much my opinion on them has changed, it is a very interesting experience.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xx_Kares_xX
After re-reading this review (to get ideas for my FFXII review) I was rather sad to see that I forgot to mention my feelings on the romance between Tidus and Yuna. This was a huge failing on my part as it's one of the key aspects that fans seem to like about this game. I guess I will give a quick summary of my feelings on it. I feel that the voice actors do a good job conveying the chemistry of the characters, and the emotions felt very real to me between them. I guess I'd put the romance between Final Fantasy VIII and IX in my eyes... it was established far better in Final Fantasy X then it was in VIII, especially with it's buildup and pay off, but I feel that Final Fantasy IX still had a stronger romance, which really comes from the fact that Garnet and Zidane were just better developed characters in general than Tidus or Yuna. Anyway, there's my little added note to this, sorry it took so long for me to post it @.@
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 angelbless
You need to talk a about Basch feelings for Ashe xD
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xx_Kares_xX
I thought about it, but really Romance is not a key element in Final Fantasy XII on any level (though they did try and shoe-horn it into Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings with Vaan and Penelo). The interesting thing is that the connection between the characters in FFXII is so vague that any number of possible pairings could be argued. The obvious is Balthier and Fran, and yet Ashe seems to be rather attached to Balthier. Basch seems more involved in his own duty and feels obligated to protect Ashe far more than any sense of emotion towards her. Penelo obviously has a thing for Vaan but Vaan spends most of his time talking to Ashe in a poor attempt to make him important to the plot. In my eyes any romantic subplot they were trying to make in Final Fantasy XII was rather unsucessful... but on the other hand I don't feel you always need a romance to be a good story (which is something I think a lot of Recent FF fans have come to expect from their games because VIII - X all had this element, and even V and VII had elements of it despite it never being the focus. In My eyes XII falls into the same category as those games.. yes you can infer it if you really want too but I don't think it was ever an important part of the storytelling. You could also argue FFVII DID have a romance between Cloud and Tifa, but it seemed rather one sided in my eyes, even in Advent Children he never seemed to love Tifa, they are just kind of together out of happenstance and Tifa loves him but I'm not sure it works both ways @.@