Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Xx_Kares_xX
Member since 2009 • 1479 Posts

I figured I'd post this up here since I just got the game and, well, this is a Final Fantasy Union ^^'. Let me start this by saying that sadly having this game in my collection just makes it all the more painful that I can't understand ANYTHING that's happening in this game. One thing that I feel was looked over with the localization is how bloody and 'gritty' this game actually is, it would definitely warrant an M rating in America, making it the first game in the series (that I know of anyway) that would have such a rating.

The game seems to play off a reworked version of the gameplay engine from the 3rd Birthday, only reworked in a way that makes it much more playable.  I'm not yet sure if that's actually because of the engine being reworked or just the difference in the character's play styles, but either way, I haven't had nearly as many problems with the camera as I did with 3rd Birthday, though since the game is on PSP, it still isn't perfect.

The gameplay... is really good. As I said it plays rpetty similarly to the 3rd Birthday except the motion feels much more authentic, so much so in fact that the lack of a jump button really stands out. So far the levels seemed to be designed purposefully around the fact that you can't jump, but it still feels odd to me, as silly as that may sound. The combat is fast and fluid, allowing you to have a powerful spell, lesser spell, and physical attacks each mapped to a button along with a dodge button. Though this seems limiting, the game lets you switch between any of three party members at any time, giving you a great deal of freedom in putting you in control of your entire party in an action rpg setting, allowing you to string combination attacks in a rather exciting way. 

The presentation on this game... is easily the best in any psp game ever released... even playing the game through an AV cable into my tv reveals pretty much no blemishes, which is something that can't be said for even games like Birth By Sleep, Crisis Core or even Dissidia. 

Basically, ... it's pretty damn good... and I really wish that I could understand what's going on.. but I haven't even found a text fan translation to work with.. even so, considering the emphasis I put on stories in my rpgs, the strength of the gameplay keeping me playing despite the HUGE amount of text that I can't understand should really show how good the game truly is. 

vegeta789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 vegeta789
Member since 2013 • 332 Posts
Yeah it sucks that you can't understand it 4 tha story but it looks really good, the gameplayy looks amazing. I looked it up online and I read about the story. the story looks good and the gameplay even better. To even come across it at all is a treasure.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xx_Kares_xX
It is pretty great. I've kind of put off playing the game for a while as I've been busy with other ones in the challenve, but I'm still looking forward to getting back to it.
vegeta789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 vegeta789
OK.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 angelbless
Member since 2003 • 8475 Posts
I remember somebody mentioned a fan made translation of the game.. perhaps we will be able to try that?
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xx_Kares_xX
I think it was me actually ^^' and I'm still following the translation actually. They've made good progress considering how short they've been working on it. Fan Translations this ambitious usually take anywhere from five years to a decade to complete, but if they keep up the pace they are going I could see it done in a year or two.
vegeta789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 vegeta789
Oh that's good, so you're understanding the story then?! Good deal. :)
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xx_Kares_xX
No.. the fan translation isn't anywhere near done// and they won't release ANY of it until it IS done... so I'm still not understanding anything sadly ^^' but I haven't been playing it much anyway... I've been busy with other games in the series
vegeta789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 vegeta789
Oh, so they don't release anything at all until it's finally done.. ok gotchya. Well, atleast ther will be one eventually. That's good.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Xx_Kares_xX
As long as the group completes the patch/ even after it's released (if it is released) you need a hacked psp to even play it.
vegeta789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 vegeta789
u mean u can't just read it like buy a book of it or sumthin"?
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xx_Kares_xX
No it's not a fan translation walkthrough, it's a fan translated PATCH. It actually makes the game fully playable in English.
vegeta789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vegeta789
Oh okay I thought it was a walkthrough booklett, or atlwast the script or smthin'. Tnx 4 tha clarance. bak 2 readin' yer analysis.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Xx_Kares_xX
Well you were technically correct, BOTH are called fan translations, so I should have been more clear ^^'
vegeta789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 vegeta789
Oh, that's just what i thught, that the fan translation was a booklet, but i ddin't know that there as a playable version.