odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
This question has been on my mind ever since they moved metroid to first person.  I have yet to play a first person metroid but I remember metroid being one of my favorite games on the SNES.  I always have thought it was a bad move because it would be like moving zelda to first peron.  I never really understood why they even moved metroid to first person to begin with?  There seems to be a lot of people that like metroid in first person though but I think the game would have done just as good maybe even better if they would have just left it in third person.  Does anyone have any info as to why they changed it to first person?
BassBoy45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 BassBoy45
Member since 2006 • 5330 Posts
It may seem odd, but the first person view fits perfectly with this game. It allows you to use the different visors you have, and gives it a more sci-fi feel. I really think this is the best move that they could have made with the metroid series. And I have to add that since you haven't played it, you really shouldn't dson't know how perfect it is for the game. BTW metroid was never 3rd person, it was a 2d side-scroller :)
arfy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 arfy2
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
Yeah I agree. And I'll even put my neck on the line and say the 1st person metroids are much better than the side scoller ones (please don't hurt me:?).
MegaManX9101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 MegaManX9101
Member since 2006 • 663 Posts
I've been playing thru Super Metriod for the SNES for a bit recently, and honestly, im enjoying it alot more than i did with Prime for the GC...
I havent really liked the feel of the GC ones... the ds one was cool, but the GC ones just seemed clunky.

Honestly I think its just the controller in my way... the c-stick just wasnt made well for what its doing... the Wii one should be much better for me than the GC ones.
gameman9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gameman9
Member since 2004 • 5949 Posts
I like Metroid both ways.
bob5o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#6 bob5o
Member since 2005 • 4283 Posts
I like Metroid both ways.gameman9
Me too
mos333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 mos333
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts
Being 3D, it has the freedom to evolve the series. Puzzles are harder, and exploration is more than eye watering. That being sai the 3D Primes are VERY atmospheric.
wickerman2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 wickerman2004
Member since 2004 • 3878 Posts

To answer your question, I think it went 3-D for a few reasons, remaining 2-D in a 3-D world would have resulted in a game that was ho-hum..IMO. Also Nintendo needs a AAA FP game - Prime is that, a triple A franchise, when it was 2-D it wasn't (maybe popular, but not acclaimed)

I myself despise the original Metroid, but it is the only one I have played. Prime is awesome and while I can't stand the original - I see completely where it translated perfectly.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 odin2019
wow some of you all seem to have the wrong idea of what I was saying.  I'm not saying to keep the game in 2d but make it a 3d game like zelda.  Just do what zelda is doing right now for the metroid game.  Make it the same as zelda is being made right now except make it be metroid.
BassBoy45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BassBoy45
But how would they implement the visors into a 3rd person view. The way that the game plays almost requires a first person view, or a 2d view, I just don't see how the game could be a 3rd person game. Plus who doesn't want to be in the shoes of samus. I definately disagree with you about this, the game either needs to be 1st person, or not at all.
kryptofreak120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 kryptofreak120
Member since 2005 • 5524 Posts
2-D sufficed quite well...for a time. Somehow, when they made it 3-D, they opened up an entire world of awesomeness for the franchise. 2-D is still good for the series and will keep working, but 3-D is also an important aspect for the Metroid franchise.
The_Wall_PG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 The_Wall_PG
Member since 2004 • 457 Posts
I don't think trying to do a 3rd person 3D Metroid game would be such a good idea, 3D is all about opening new possibilities and while I agree with the nostalgia revolving around the 2D Metroid games, they have to remain great memories or possibly be handheld material.
wickerman2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wickerman2004
you need to play prime - then discuss how it is made.
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#15 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts
first person works well for metroid, although i havent played any of the sidescrollers yet
jacobs1282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jacobs1282
Member since 2005 • 298 Posts
I have to say that both ways work very well. The side scrollers were some of my favorite games for their systems and I was very sceptical with the first talk of changing "my" Metroid into a first person game, but I have to say they did a great job with it. I would personally like to see them keep 2d side scrolling on the handhelds, but keep moving on with first person for the consoles.
Willdyer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Willdyer10
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts
erm personally no i much prefer the 2d metriod games to hunters and prime by the way there is suppose to be a 2d metroid game coming out for ds (metroid Dread)
BassBoy45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BassBoy45
[QUOTE="BassBoy45"]But how would they implement the visors into a 3rd person view. The way that the game plays almost requires a first person view, or a 2d view, I just don't see how the game could be a 3rd person game. Plus who doesn't want to be in the shoes of samus. I definately disagree with you about this, the game either needs to be 1st person, or not at all.

Did you guys not rad this post, he is not saying he still wants 2d, he's saying he wants it to be 3rd person as opposed to 1st person
To this I have said, that only the first person view would work, because of the implemented visors
arfy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 arfy2
Well you could make a 3d Metroid in 3rd person. However, the view would only be 3rd person if you are using the combat visor. The view would have to change to a 1st person view for the scan, thermal and x-ray visors.
mos333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mos333
I suppose they could do 3rd person, as to oppose to some old-fashion highkicking Kung-F00 action. Hiyaaa, go Samus :D.
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 odin2019

[QUOTE="BassBoy45"]But how would they implement the visors into a 3rd person view. The way that the game plays almost requires a first person view, or a 2d view, I just don't see how the game could be a 3rd person game. Plus who doesn't want to be in the shoes of samus. I definately disagree with you about this, the game either needs to be 1st person, or not at all.BassBoy45
Did you guys not rad this post, he is not saying he still wants 2d, he's saying he wants it to be 3rd person as opposed to 1st person
To this I have said, that only the first person view would work, because of the implemented visors

Do you really need the visors that bad just do what Metal Gear Solid does with the infared vision and night vision.  They could always switch between 3rd and 1st person like Metal Gear Solid games.  Go into 1st person when your getting ready to shoot then switch back to 3rd person.

mos333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mos333

[QUOTE="BassBoy45"][QUOTE="BassBoy45"]But how would they implement the visors into a 3rd person view. The way that the game plays almost requires a first person view, or a 2d view, I just don't see how the game could be a 3rd person game. Plus who doesn't want to be in the shoes of samus. I definately disagree with you about this, the game either needs to be 1st person, or not at all.odin2019

Do you really need the visors that bad just do what Metal Gear Solid does with the infared vision and night vision.  They could always switch between 3rd and 1st person like Metal Gear Solid games.  Go into 1st person when your getting ready to shoot then switch back to 3rd person.

Yeah, i was thinking of something like that. And the reason everyone misunderstood the question was because the title should have been: 'would metroid be better in 3rd person?'.
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 odin2019
Sorry about that, I can see where you would be confused so I changed the title.
wickerman2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wickerman2004

then what do you end up with? a game that's just like zelda, only it's not - more or less doomed to phail as a 'zelda' clone and be branded like star fox adventures....

the fact is prime plays perfect in FP mode, i think it would lose the feeling of isolation that is key to the series. to me, prime plays like zelda, just in FP mode rather than 3rd person....and it's harder.

i have to say you must play the game then decide for yourself, because if i'm not mistaken - you've haven't played any prime games, correct?

EDIT: any other view would cripple the 'depth' of the game

BassBoy45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BassBoy45

then what do you end up with? a game that's just like zelda, only it's not - more or less doomed to phail as a 'zelda' clone and be branded like star fox adventures....

the fact is prime plays perfect in FP mode, i think it would lose the feeling of isolation that is key to the series. to me, prime plays like zelda, just in FP mode rather than 3rd person....and it's harder.

i have to say you must play the game then decide for yourself, because if i'm not mistaken - you've haven't played any prime games, correct?

EDIT: any other view would cripple the 'depth' of the game

wickerman2004
I would agree with that 100%.
Going in and out of 1st person and 3rd person mode for aiming and such could get tiresome, and anyways Metroid is a series of it's own, if it was a clone of Zelda that would be very disapointing. You should definately play this game before you go out on a limb saying it would be better in a 3rd person perspective, nobody seems to be down on the FPS style of this game besides you, and I definately think that this would change if you would try playing this unbelievably awesome game, and also what I consider to be the best game out there for the Cube.

Edit: Edited to make sense of that jibberish :lol:
Famicomman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Famicomman
Member since 2006 • 2467 Posts
I think the side scrolling Metroid gave it a fighter/shooter type feel, the FPS Metroid gave it a sence of suspense when playing them.
sufian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sufian2
Member since 2005 • 566 Posts
Well you reffered to 3rd person in Metal Gear and there i can see its use becuase you have to hide and use stealth but Metroid is more like Halo where you have to go shooting while running around like crazy and for that reason its would be so hard to do the whole game would change and some monsters woule be impossibile to sestroy if you had to stop and use a first person view not to mention the whole visor routine again.  Anyway i  still think whom ever has not played the snes version should concider it when the virtual console comes.
mos333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mos333
Well you reffered to 3rd person in Metal Gear and there i can see its use becuase you have to hide and use stealth but Metroid is more like Halo where you have to go shooting while running around like crazy and for that reason its would be so hard to do the whole game would change and some monsters woule be impossibile to sestroy if you had to stop and use a first person view not to mention the whole visor routine again.  Anyway i  still think whom ever has not played the snes version should concider it when the virtual console comes.sufian2
Actually, metroid is more story and exploration based. The enemies happen to be small robotic flies, so IMO, the shooting in Metroid 3D is more like an add-on, rather than in the 2D ones, where the shooting was the game itself. I'm not bashing the game, by the way.
arfy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 arfy2
Yeah I agree with Mos333. Anyways you would be in 3rd person for the combat visor. It's only when using the scan visor or x-ray visor etc would you be in 1st person. Anyways I think we should let this topic go down now because the 1st person view is the best view for the series IMO. I don't want any 3rd person bits. Non-glitch online multiplayer is the only way to improve Metroid Prime.
Willdyer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Willdyer10
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts
By the way i dont think metroid dread is coming out, its not on gamespot and i hav'nt heard anything on it for a while. I wish it was though:) maybe it will...