Which Nintendo console is the greatest of all time?

• 52 results
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts
What do you think?

Personally, I think the N64 was.  Not only was it host to Ocarina of Time, but it had some of the greatest platformers and even shooters.
mynintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mynintendo
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts
i agree with u.even though it is old now it still had lots of great games
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
So far I'd say the N64, even though the Analog Stick was easily breakable. :P I don't doubt that at this time next year I'd say the Wii is the most successful though.
Willdyer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Willdyer10
Member since 2005 • 1832 Posts
Hmm To be honest, despite it be "under gamed" I think the gamecube was the best. It has a great controller, great graphics and it did have some great games.
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 REVOLUTIONfreak
So far I'd say the N64, even though the Analog Stick was easily breakable. :P I don't doubt that at this time next year I'd say the Wii is the most successful though.OhhSnap50893
If you mean successful in terms of sales, don't count on it. Wii will sell a lot better than the GCN, but I doubt it can 1up Nintendo's best with the NES' 60 million sold worldwide
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 OhhSnap50893
[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]So far I'd say the N64, even though the Analog Stick was easily breakable. :P I don't doubt that at this time next year I'd say the Wii is the most successful though.REVOLUTIONfreak
If you mean successful in terms of sales, don't count on it. Wii will sell a lot better than the GCN, but I doubt it can 1up Nintendo's best with the NES' 60 million sold worldwide

By sales yes, but more so I think it'll have better games, a decent online service, and loads of great VC titles.
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]So far I'd say the N64, even though the Analog Stick was easily breakable. :P I don't doubt that at this time next year I'd say the Wii is the most successful though.OhhSnap50893

By sales yes, but more so I think it'll have better games, a decent online service, and loads of great VC titles.

Definitely, yes. They already have the best download service of arcade games of the three consoles with the VC, the only thing is Microsoft has Nintendo beat overall in the downloads section with all of the demoes and tv shows you can buy.
Seiryu-617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Seiryu-617
Member since 2006 • 875 Posts
i say N64 because it had a lot of great games, and overall was just a great system. The Wii will probably catch up soon though, once i figure everything out fully, and great games come out too.
deathnote21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 deathnote21
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
n64 because of super mario 64 and legend of zelda: ocarina of time (plus the fact that it was 3d.)
BassBoy45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 BassBoy45
Member since 2006 • 5330 Posts
So far I'd say the N64, even though the Analog Stick was easily breakable. :P I don't doubt that at this time next year I'd say the Wii is the most successful though.OhhSnap50893
Yeah, I never did break the analog, but I have seen the ones that are. I guess I just take good care of my controllers. Anyways, I think that the N64 is Ninty's all time great console, it had the best titles out there, you just can't compete with that.
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OhhSnap50893
[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]So far I'd say the N64, even though the Analog Stick was easily breakable. :P I don't doubt that at this time next year I'd say the Wii is the most successful though.BassBoy45
Yeah, I never did break the analog, but I have seen the ones that are. I guess I just take good care of my controllers. Anyways, I think that the N64 is Ninty's all time great console, it had the best titles out there, you just can't compete with that.

I never 'broke' mine either, but I just checked it out a week or two ago and I think if I did so much as dropped it the thing would shatter to pieces. And my friends analog stick is just messed up, I can't even explain it.
[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]So far I'd say the N64, even though the Analog Stick was easily breakable. :P I don't doubt that at this time next year I'd say the Wii is the most successful though.REVOLUTIONfreak

Definitely, yes. They already have the best download service of arcade games of the three consoles with the VC, the only thing is Microsoft has Nintendo beat overall in the downloads section with all of the demoes and tv shows you can buy.

That's to be expected since MS has had the 360 out for much longer. I think Ninty should have more upgrades on the Shop Channel (I'm assuming they'll have some in the Wiiware eventually), and they should add GB games to the VC collection. If you think about it, 1 & 2 could be A and B, + & - could be Start and Pause, and obviousely you've got the D-pad. It makes perfect sense to me, and those would probably be mad cheap to download. Plus with the Classic Controller you can do GBA games as well.
Squidward117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Squidward117
Member since 2005 • 4374 Posts
The Nes/Super Nintendo were great systems only... I don't know. 3D games are just more addicting to me.

But man... In my opinion, the GC and N64 are near equal in terms of greatness, but... Most of the great games on the GC are sequels to great games on the N64... So I'm gonna have to go with the N64.

But with the Wii, it's just too young.

Heh, I broke 2 N64 controllers and one console back in the day.:P
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
it's a hard choise between NES and N64. I choose N64 because I have more memories of it and it's games but I sure did love NES too
sufian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sufian2
Member since 2005 • 566 Posts

Hands Down SNES it just rocks and in essence everything Nintendo is all about. On a side note don't you guys miss the days when Nintendo was the tech savy company that broke all hardware records and absolutely dominated the market. Anyway back on topic the SNES was and is the best console for several reasons: New stereo Sound was huge back then and the SNES was the first to have it. Then the graphics were simply insane at the time. Multiplayer this was the first console to have 4 player through multi tap (NBA JAM Session). The GAMES The Game The Games I say it 3 times cause this console has provided the most AAA titles from Nintendo think about it this console defined platform gaming with Super Mario World which is probably a contender for best games of it's time, Star Fox, Metroid, Yoshis Island, Marios All stars ( the best compilation game I've ever bought), Mario Kart, F zero, Final Fantasy, Breath Of Fire, Bomber man and Super Mario RPG I mean with a list like that how can anyone think this was not the most important console in history. Please I'm not trying to be condescending in any way but many of you were not old enough to realize how big this thing was, but as someone whom was there for all the major Nintendo Launches this thing took gaming to a whole new level. Enough of my rant on the subject but believe me I never take out my NES and play but my SNES gets some action regularly with a couple of sessions every month especially with childhood friends.

SGTNAPALM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 SGTNAPALM
Member since 2006 • 3661 Posts

the wii, cause im a young gamer. (if i had the chance, i would buy a nes or snes. i dont ebay. thank god for virtual console!)

i have points set aside fo games like earthbound and metroid.i love game and watch. they should put him on there.

i had a 64, but only a few games. never really liked it.

but the cube, i had only 5 or 6 games, but i was addictied to them, wich was okay..

CrazyKoopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 CrazyKoopa

NES all the way! Umm... Yeah, can't touch those classics.

I think that OoT is overrated. As is TP.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
Gotta say SNES, it has so many classic games it's insane, and not all of those are Nintendo made.
Gameslayer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Gameslayer3
Member since 2006 • 19915 Posts
wii because it can play all of the chocices and the best games.
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
I'm going with N64. It is what I grew up playing. 
greenday29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 greenday29
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

I'm going with N64. It is what I grew up playing. bededog

same plus it had mario 64, OoT, Goldeneye... etc

94iceman94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 94iceman94
Member since 2007 • 1094 Posts
the n64 it awsome
Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Serbine
Member since 2005 • 10934 Posts
N64, it was just cool
GigaBowserJr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 GigaBowserJr14
Member since 2006 • 439 Posts

N64 had all the great games like Zelda, Mario 64, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Goldeneye and Banjo Kazooie.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#24 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

The SNES. Super Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, LOZ ALTTP, Super Mario World and many more games.

ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ihateelvis
Member since 2006 • 2380 Posts
The SNES, easy. It had all of the excellent, classic RPG's, as well as some of the best platformers I've ever played. Even though my favourite game is LoZ: OoT, you can't beat the amount of awesome games that were on the SNES.
-DuNN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -DuNN-
Member since 2006 • 4767 Posts

N64 Here's why:

-Super Mario 64

-Mario Kart 64

-Perfect Dark

REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 REVOLUTIONfreak

N64 Here's why:

-Super Mario 64

-Mario Kart 64

-Perfect Dark

-DuNN-

Care to mention OoT? :P
-DuNN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -DuNN-
Everyone keeps telling me this lol, I never actually played OoT I've had many people tell me how great it is.
Mop_it_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mop_it_up
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts
Yeah! Alright! Usually, with polls like this, the N64 is chosen the least. But it looks like most people here like the N64!
I'm in good company!
Nintendo 64ever!
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ihateelvis
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Lol, this is highly unusual for a poll to go in the N64 direction, I agree. SNES is still better though. :lol: :P
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 REVOLUTIONfreak
Everyone keeps telling me this lol, I never actually played OoT I've had many people tell me how great it is.-DuNN-
Well, if you have a Wii then you should definitely buy Ocarina of Time when it comes out on the Virtual Console.... which should be available any week now.
-DuNN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -DuNN-
[QUOTE="-DuNN-"]Everyone keeps telling me this lol, I never actually played OoT I've had many people tell me how great it is.REVOLUTIONfreak
Well, if you have a Wii then you should definitely buy Ocarina of Time when it comes out on the Virtual Console.... which should be available any week now.

Yeah, I might right now I got 700 points.
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="-DuNN-"]Everyone keeps telling me this lol, I never actually played OoT I've had many people tell me how great it is.-DuNN-

700 points won't buy OoT, N64 games cost 1000 points (plus it isn't on the VC yet anyway).
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ihateelvis
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="-DuNN-"]Everyone keeps telling me this lol, I never actually played OoT I've had many people tell me how great it is.-DuNN-

I thought you didn't like c-l-a-s-s-i-c games! :P

But seriously, don't let it stop you from getting this game! It's not widely considered to be the greatest game of all time for nothing. ;)
masterlinkx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 masterlinkx1
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts
I'd say the N64 because it came out with the first 3D games ever and had so many awsome titles!!!!
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ihateelvis
Actually, I think they came out with a 3D game in 1990 or something like that. It was very simple, and featured very little graphical detail and control, but it was still in 3D. ;)
Mop_it_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mop_it_up
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts
I don't know if the N64 had any firsts, but it did set a lot of standards.
-DuNN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -DuNN-
[QUOTE="-DuNN-"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="-DuNN-"]Everyone keeps telling me this lol, I never actually played OoT I've had many people tell me how great it is.REVOLUTIONfreak

700 points won't buy OoT, N64 games cost 1000 points (plus it isn't on the VC yet anyway).

I don't like how the Wii Point system works with your credit card you can't just buy 100 points or whatever you want.
-DuNN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -DuNN-
[QUOTE="-DuNN-"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="-DuNN-"]Everyone keeps telling me this lol, I never actually played OoT I've had many people tell me how great it is.ihateelvis

I thought you didn't like c-l-a-s-s-i-c games! :P

But seriously, don't let it stop you from getting this game! It's not widely considered to be the greatest game of all time for nothing. ;)

No, I like classic games, just not new games in old style. I like Super Mario Bros. I dont know... I like most classic games just not bad graphics on Final Fantasy.. I DO like FF7.
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

What do you think?

Personally, I think the N64 was. Not only was it host to Ocarina of Time, but it had some of the greatest platformers and even shooters.REVOLUTIONfreak

Well, I think that the N64 was the worst, followed by the GC.

The SNES and the NES were their better consoles. I can't decide which one was the greatest, but I'll say the SNES.

REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 REVOLUTIONfreak

[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]What do you think?

Personally, I think the N64 was. Not only was it host to Ocarina of Time, but it had some of the greatest platformers and even shooters.doubutsuteki

The SNES and the NES were their better consoles. I can't decide which one was the greatest, but I'll say the SNES.

While I disagree, I can respect your logic on that... the NES and SNES were the origins of a lot of great franchises we see today, the N64 just recreated them in 3D. 

I think the GCN was much worse than the N64 though... the GCN was host to only a handful of must-have titles, and we didn't see too many new original games spawn from the cube either.

MOM-D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 MOM-D
Member since 2005 • 5222 Posts
N64. That system was godly
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ihateelvis
[QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]

Personally, I think the N64 was. Not only was it host to Ocarina of Time, but it had some of the greatest platformers and even shooters.REVOLUTIONfreak

While I disagree, I can respect your logic on that... the NES and SNES were the origins of a lot of great franchises we see today, the N64 just recreated them in 3D.

I think the GCN was much worse than the N64 though... the GCN was host to only a handful of must-have titles, and we didn't see too many new original games spawn from the cube either.

I second that. The only new thing about the GCN was the switch to discs for the games, and somewhat of a graphics update. While the only thing that was new about the N64 was also a graphics update, that leap was so huge that it changed the face of Nintendo gaming forever, as there were so many more posssiblities to be discovered with the jump into 3D (while there were already 3D games in existence, they couldn't have too much depth because of the limitations of previous systems). The GCN, although also with updated and better graphics, didn't revolutionize the way that games could be played.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 doubutsuteki
[QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]

Like the GC, the N64 had few really good games. The N64 was a major screw-up for Nintendo. Everyone knows - or should know - that. Does that mean that everything on the N64 was crap? No, it doesn't. I can name perhaps eight or nine games for the N64 that I consider to be great. Maybe the GC has even less must-have titles, when you think about it. I don't think any of them were particularly good - neither the N64 nor the GC.

But the NES and SNES had thousands of games, and while alot of them were bad, many of them were actually good. The diversity of games on the NES and SNES is unparallelled. And like you said, the NES and SNES were the origins of so many of the franchises today - they cannot be ignored.

It's either the SNES or the NES. Popularity? - The NES. Quality? - The SNES. I'd say the SNES. What comes after "greatest" and "next greatest" can be discussed. :)

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 doubutsuteki

The GCN, although also with updated and better graphics, didn't revolutionize the way that games could be played.

ihateelvis

That is true. But while the N64 meant the leap from 2d to 3d for Nintendo, it didn't turn out that well for them - they are still recovering from it, and I doubt that they will ever become as big again as they were back before the PlayStation.

collinsworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 collinsworth
Member since 2005 • 229 Posts

Wii

NES

N64

SNES

GameCube

that is my ranking from the Top down.   

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#47 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
They are all good consoles but they haven't done as well as the early one like the NES or SNES or N64. Can the Wii continue to be a success.
wii2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wii2k6
i think nintendo 64 was because it futured games like mario 64 and supersmash bros and legend of zelda games that were also good.
Smoke2Much

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Smoke2Much
Member since 2006 • 1520 Posts

For those who know me your should automatically what my answer is going to be ,but for those who are new and don't know me it has to be NES all the way ! The NES started it all for Nintendo and introduced the world to Mario,Zelda,Metroid and a whole lot more character that we have grown to love over the last 20+ years.The problem is that not a lot of you at the union have never played the NES in fact most of you weren't even born yet,so you really can't appreciate what that console has done for the world of gaming even if it's a mire 8-bit console.

REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]

Personally, I think the N64 was. Not only was it host to Ocarina of Time, but it had some of the greatest platformers and even shooters.doubutsuteki

Like the GC, the N64 had few really good games. The N64 was a major screw-up for Nintendo. Everyone knows - or should know - that. Does that mean that everything on the N64 was crap? No, it doesn't. I can name perhaps eight or nine games for the N64 that I consider to be great. Maybe the GC has even less must-have titles, when you think about it. I don't think any of them were particularly good - neither the N64 nor the GC.

But the NES and SNES had thousands of games, and while alot of them were bad, many of them were actually good. The diversity of games on the NES and SNES is unparallelled. And like you said, the NES and SNES were the origins of so many of the franchises today - they cannot be ignored.

It's either the SNES or the NES. Popularity? - The NES. Quality? - The SNES. I'd say the SNES. What comes after "greatest" and "next greatest" can be discussed. :)

It was a screw up?  I don't see 30-40% market share and 30 million units sold entirely as a screw up.  Could they have done things better?  Sure.  But a screw up?  Not at all.  They invented rumble that generation, moved to 3D, and popularized analog sticks.  In comparison I'd like to see what exactly Sony or Sega accomplished that generation?

As for the NES and SNES, I can't really comment considering I never really got the chance to play a lot of the games on the platforms.