sufian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sufian2
Member since 2005 • 566 Posts

Well this week's recommendation belongs on the NES or should I say the FamicomĀ  Disc System. The things is it was originally released on the FDS and after a year got a port to the NES on August 1987 even though I was not their for launch I later played this through a copy an aunt purchased and was one of the first games I remember finishing all on my own without any help. Some of the cool features this game had was like Zelda and the future Kid Icurus it had a save option for resume through a password system which basically worked on a battery inside the cartridge (only in FDS).

The graphics in this game were probably the least liked among fans because they were a little bland but I thought they played well to the games story and actually scared me. Like all games at the time this was 2D which some say it is part of the magic of Metroid and sighted as one of the primary reasons Metroid Prime is not liked by all or at least to the extent of it's predecessors. In any case it works well in this game and is all filled with mazes to get you lost in your quest to destroy the mother brain.

The gameplay was very intuitive in this game and is really were the game excelled making it very adaptable to the NES controller. Part of the fun in this was the variable endings to it I think 3 depending on your completion speed which actually gave it some replay value, and although I never realized till the late 90's until I actually achieved this feet, as it turns out if you complete the game in less than 1 hour the final scene would feature a bikini Samus Aran which is at the time ranked as must see VG moments (how sad and to think I had a girlfriend at the time makes it worse).

Sound was also worth a note and featured stereo mode in the menu which was a rarity at the time and part of the update for the FDS. The music itself was pretty good and has also been used in Metroid Prime obviously evolved however. The music was also famous enough to be played at the videogames musical concert if anyone remembers which all show how nostalgic the track really was and effective in surrounding you with the world.

Ā Overall this game was worth the port and ought to be played by fans of either the handheld or console predecessors. I recommend you also try to finish it in 1 hour for the special ending LOL "I'll look for pics". For those of you whom don't want to wait for a VC copy good news if you already have a Metroid Fusion on the GBA a Link Cable and Metroid Prime, just do the transfer and it will automatically be unlocked on your GC and will save to your memory card.

A cool thing about this game for me especially is I have a duplicate of the original unopened and still mint with the plastic coating covering the box, I wonder how much it will go for on EBay not that I would part with it.. Anyway hope you guys enjoy these recommendations and even though I want to add pictures for some reason pics are not working so if anyone is interested you can find them in my blog since I can keep editing without any problems.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts
Man you and your recommendations are amazing :o. Metroid is deffinitely a game that everybody should pick up. It has this great sense of Adventure with it's exploration and has a lot of action packed in too. This and Super Metroid are worth to be bought.
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 ihateelvis
Member since 2006 • 2380 Posts
Man you and your recommendations are amazing :o. Metroid is deffinitely a game that everybody should pick up. It has this great sense of Adventure with it's exploration and has a lot of action packed in too. This and Super Metroid are worth to be bought.lebanese_boy

Plus they eventually spawned the work of genius that were the Metroid Primes. ;)
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lebanese_boy
[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"]Man you and your recommendations are amazing :o. Metroid is deffinitely a game that everybody should pick up. It has this great sense of Adventure with it's exploration and has a lot of action packed in too. This and Super Metroid are worth to be bought.ihateelvis

Plus they eventually spawned the work of genius that were the Metroid Primes. ;)

The first one is kinda boring sometimes ....
metroidprime_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 metroidprime_1
Member since 2006 • 4768 Posts
Metroid is what started it all. Its one of the greatest games ever cauze of da mass things to collect and the boss fights. For its time it excelled as a game and became one of of Nintendo biggest franchises. Its great from beginning to end and draws u in with mystery and that sense of wanting more. Its a great game that many people still play today and is a classic.
sufian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sufian2

Man you and your recommendations are amazing :o. Metroid is deffinitely a game that everybody should pick up. It has this great sense of Adventure with it's exploration and has a lot of action packed in too. This and Super Metroid are worth to be bought.lebanese_boy

Thanks leb I appreciate the gesture, it's good to hear someone is reading them as I was thinking of discontinuing them in interest was not gonna pick up. Either way there are some cool pics in my blog if your interested I guessĀ I'll get around to posting them later in the week somehow as GS is getting better with the glitched every day.

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

I think Metroid games are boring....

It's like a shooter version of Zelda, only without the excitement and epic story.

metroidprime_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 metroidprime_1

It's like a shooter version of Zelda, only without the excitement and epic story.

REVOLUTIONfreak
I aint even gonna start wit u :lol:
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ihateelvis

REVOLUTIONfreak

I thought you were good with shooters. ;)
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lebanese_boy

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"]Man you and your recommendations are amazing :o. Metroid is deffinitely a game that everybody should pick up. It has this great sense of Adventure with it's exploration and has a lot of action packed in too. This and Super Metroid are worth to be bought.sufian2

Thanks leb I appreciate the gesture, it's good to hear someone is reading them as I was thinking of discontinuing them in interest was not gonna pick up. Either way there are some cool pics in my blog if your interested I guess I'll get around to posting them later in the week somehow as GS is getting better with the glitched every day.

Hehe, you know how to write great quality texts and that's what makes me want to read ( as opposed to some people who just put a sentence there and that's it :roll: )
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lebanese_boy

REVOLUTIONfreak
Dude ... wow. You don't what you're missing. What game did you actually play in the series ? If you began with Hunters then I might understand why but lately the metroid games are fantastic. From the 2D sidescrollers to the 3D Primes. And where exacly does it ressemble Zelda but as a shooter ?
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="sufian2"]

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"]Man you and your recommendations are amazing :o. Metroid is deffinitely a game that everybody should pick up. It has this great sense of Adventure with it's exploration and has a lot of action packed in too. This and Super Metroid are worth to be bought.lebanese_boy

Thanks leb I appreciate the gesture, it's good to hear someone is reading them as I was thinking of discontinuing them in interest was not gonna pick up. Either way there are some cool pics in my blog if your interested I guess I'll get around to posting them later in the week somehow as GS is getting better with the glitched every day.

Hehe, you know how to write great quality texts and that's what makes me want to read ( as opposed to some people who just put a sentence there and that's it :roll: )

Very true.... As for your other post, I began with Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and then played a very small part of the original... and then of course went on to Hunters. A few months ago I bought a used copy of Metroid Fusion to get a feel for what the 2D Metroids are like, and I absolutely hated it. I ended up returning it almost immediately. To me it is like a shooter Zelda because of all the puzzle elements... I mean think about it, you go to an area, solve some puzzles, fight some creatures (yet not very many), fight a boss, then move on. I don't think many people can argue that. I'm not saying it is a Zelda game only with shooting elements, I'm just saying its like a Zelda game only with shooting elements.
metroidprime_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 metroidprime_1

:|Ā Metroid Fusion is like one of the best GBA games ever. Fusion is like the best 2D Metroid also

But whatever floats ur boat

ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ihateelvis
[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="sufian2"]

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"]Man you and your recommendations are amazing :o. Metroid is deffinitely a game that everybody should pick up. It has this great sense of Adventure with it's exploration and has a lot of action packed in too. This and Super Metroid are worth to be bought.REVOLUTIONfreak

Very true.... As for your other post, I began with Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and then played a very small part of the original... and then of course went on to Hunters. A few months ago I bought a used copy of Metroid Fusion to get a feel for what the 2D Metroids are like, and I absolutely hated it. I ended up returning it almost immediately. To me it is like a shooter Zelda because of all the puzzle elements... I mean think about it, you go to an area, solve some puzzles, fight some creatures (yet not very many), fight a boss, then move on. I don't think many people can argue that. I'm not saying it is a Zelda game only with shooting elements, I'm just saying its like a Zelda game only with shooting elements.

But from what I can see, in your opinion wouldn't that be a good thing? I mean, Zelda games totally ROCK. So what's the problem with having a similar game, but just with some shooting involved?
By the way, only playing small amounts of each game just doesn't do them justice. I remember that Metroid Prime was awesome from start to finish, while MP2: Echoes was disgustingly boring for the first hour or so. Then Hunters was flat-out horrible. Perhaps you just played the wrong parts of the wrong games? :P
Or maybe you've just got original opinions, like I do with LoZ: WW. :)
Squidward117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Squidward117
Member since 2005 • 4374 Posts
This game certainly belongs in the Hall...Of Fame.
SilverRao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SilverRao
Member since 2007 • 244 Posts
Great Recomendation.
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="sufian2"]

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"]Man you and your recommendations are amazing :o. Metroid is deffinitely a game that everybody should pick up. It has this great sense of Adventure with it's exploration and has a lot of action packed in too. This and Super Metroid are worth to be bought.ihateelvis

But from what I can see, in your opinion wouldn't that be a good thing? I mean, Zelda games totally ROCK. So what's the problem with having a similar game, but just with some shooting involved?
By the way, only playing small amounts of each game just doesn't do them justice. I remember that Metroid Prime was awesome from start to finish, while MP2: Echoes was disgustingly boring for the first hour or so. Then Hunters was flat-out horrible. Perhaps you just played the wrong parts of the wrong games? :P

Its different with shooters though... in shooters you just wanna shoot stuff, period. I don't feel like solving useless puzzles when I just wanna shoot some aliens. On top of that the shooting elements in the Metroid Prime games suck, because the lock on ability takes away any challenge in shooting.
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lebanese_boy
[QUOTE="ihateelvis"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="sufian2"]

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"]Man you and your recommendations are amazing :o. Metroid is deffinitely a game that everybody should pick up. It has this great sense of Adventure with it's exploration and has a lot of action packed in too. This and Super Metroid are worth to be bought.REVOLUTIONfreak

Its different with shooters though... in shooters you just wanna shoot stuff, period. I don't feel like solving useless puzzles when I just wanna shoot some aliens. On top of that the shooting elements in the Metroid Prime games suck, because the lock on ability takes away any challenge in shooting.

You do know that metroid was created by Zelda's creator .. miyamoto ?
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ihateelvis
[QUOTE="ihateelvis"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="sufian2"]

Actually, the games can still be challenging even with the lock-on ability. Remember, things don't just go down in one hit, and you still have to avoid the enemy and dodge everything.

Still don't think it's challenging? Try the Boost Guardian in Metroid Prime 2. ;)

sufian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sufian2

Guys I wanted to ask, about the next recommendation coming this weekend any preferences in regard to console or handheld. I don't think this warrants a thread with a poll itself so if anyone feels like getting a game for a system in particular and looking for a good recommendation tell me what system you'd like.

Here are the choices:Ā  Nes, Snes, N64 (concoles) - Gameboy, Gameboy Color (handhelds).

Thanks for all the compliments as it's nice to see my time isn't going to waste even though I do enjoy writing these up.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lebanese_boy

Guys I wanted to ask, about the next recommendation coming this weekend any preferences in regard to console or handheld. I don't think this warrants a thread with a poll itself so if anyone feels like getting a game for a system in particular and looking for a good recommendation tell me what system you'd like.

Here are the choices:Ā  Nes, Snes, N64 (concoles) - Gameboy, Gameboy Color (handhelds).

Thanks for all the compliments as it's nice to see my time isn't going to waste even though I do enjoy writing these up.

sufian2
Maybe you should do one for Gamecube or DS ...
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#22 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"] Maybe you should do one for Gamecube or DS ...

Yeah, the DS and GC sure are old school. :P
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lebanese_boy
[QUOTE="bededog"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"] Maybe you should do one for Gamecube or DS ...

Ok maybe not the DS but the GC has alot of good games that we could now consider oldschool (i.e. Star Fox Adventures ...)
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="bededog"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"] Maybe you should do one for Gamecube or DS ...

Ok maybe not the DS but the GC has alot of good games that we could now consider oldschool (i.e. Star Fox Adventures ...)

Meh. I don't consider the GC old school yet.
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lebanese_boy
[QUOTE="bededog"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="bededog"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"] Maybe you should do one for Gamecube or DS ...

some of the games can be thought ...
Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts
[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="bededog"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="bededog"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"] Maybe you should do one for Gamecube or DS ...

No I don't think so I think in about 2-3 year we can call them old school
ihateelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ihateelvis
Old school, to me, means at least a decade old. To tell the truth, I only consider SNES games and earlier to be true "old school" games. ;)
sufian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sufian2

I completely agree with what you are saying but Nes and Snes gamesĀ are a lot harder to come by for most members and a lot don't even have the console.Ā So people are not gonna get much use out of the recommendation in the first place until it hits the VC. That said I will bring games fromĀ as many consoles as possibleĀ just to keep it fresh.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lebanese_boy
[QUOTE="nintendo_fan675"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="bededog"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="bededog"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"] Maybe you should do one for Gamecube or DS ...

No I don't think so I think in about 2-3 year we can call them old school

I'm sorry but for me, SSBM is oldschool
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 REVOLUTIONfreak
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="ihateelvis"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="sufian2"]

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"]Man you and your recommendations are amazing :o. Metroid is deffinitely a game that everybody should pick up. It has this great sense of Adventure with it's exploration and has a lot of action packed in too. This and Super Metroid are worth to be bought.lebanese_boy

You do know that metroid was created by Zelda's creator .. miyamoto ?

Wasn't continued by him though. Metroid seems to be similar to StarFox in his case, he made it, but he himself will admit it isn't his favorite franchise.
ecoite3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ecoite3000
Member since 2004 • 139 Posts
thanks to you people, i'm a metroid nut again. woo hoo!!!!